Team Crikey (Bindi and Derek)

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Team Crikey (Bindi and Derek) - Page 6 Empty Re: Team Crikey (Bindi and Derek)

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:40 pm

Then I just don't like VWs.  I'm pretty sure I like boleros better.  Does that mean it's a fast dance?  Why do VWs look slow?  I like tangos.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:08 pm

A well done VW is a thing of beauty, flowing, graceful and smooth. Our friend blue is absolutely right, we have never seen a true VW on this show just hybrids put together by the pros to vaguely resemble a VW. This one by B & D was not a thing of beauty in spite of the ridiculous scores gifted to them by the judges.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:31 pm

Lesallee wrote:A well done VW is a thing of beauty, flowing, graceful and smooth. Our friend blue is absolutely right, we have never seen a true VW on this show just hybrids put together by the pros to vaguely resemble a VW. This one by B & D was not a thing of beauty in spite of the ridiculous scores gifted to them by the judges.
I agree with you on the bolded.  My favorite VW on this show was the one done by Max & Meryle in season 18.  It is one that I watched over and over on youtube.

SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:59 pm

That is a good one.  It looks more contemporary.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sudoplatov Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Sudoplatov

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:04 pm

^^^I thought the mask was creepy and did not enjoy this dance near as much as I did Max and Meryl's VM.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:25 pm

I really enjoyed Meryl and maks vw.    I also liked Mel b and maks VW.        I agree the mask thing was creepy for a minor not sure why he did so much out of hold. Derek usually likes having his partner mostly in hold.    Love the turkey Very Happy

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:14 am

kincaid53 wrote:I really enjoyed Meryl and maks vw.    I also liked Mel b and maks VW.        I agree the mask thing was creepy for a minor not sure why he did so much out of hold. Derek usually likes having his partner mostly in hold.    Love the turkey Very Happy
That is what I meant when I said you will seldom see a proper VW on this show. Too much out of hold, arms not level with shoulder plane and not enough covering the dancefloor in hold and turning right and left. Maks had his arms hanging down from his shoulders like he was doing a jive. Anybody know the reason Disney isn't letting us do replay of previous dances?Are they ashamed of their product if we decide to show contestants of other like shows do some comparison shopping of dances? Crying or Very sad

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:29 am

Isn't there a new youtube coming up that you have to pay for ?

Maybe companies will start blocking on the free one to make folks pays to see stuff now ... Sad
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Oakma wrote:Isn't there a new youtube coming up that you have to pay for ?

Maybe companies will start blocking on the free one to make folks pays to see stuff now ... Sad
I haven't heard that one. Anything more than a dollar a month would be too much. I don't know if you can pickup the Derek-Bindi VW, but go out to the tube and pull the week 7 VW that Jamelia and Tristin do. It's pretty decent, contains all the elements of the dance I mentioned. Dizzy

Last edited by bluechipdude on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Yes, in most cases Strictly is much closer to the core of the dance styles. Just to round it off: the blindfold was introduced by Erin and Maks in season 10, and when they did it, it had meaning. As for the VW, spinning and turning obviously came easy to Meryl because of her skating. Anyway, I also consider it one of the best I've seen on DWTS.
Bindi got the character and executed what Derek gave her. She's a great student, but her teacher tends to redefine dances according to his own preferences and only Len was able to whistle him back. It's a Waltz, sunshine.
I have often criticized Derek to go for effect rather than substance. This dance is another example. As much as the performance wows you at first sight- if you look behind the facade, there's not much left. Oddly enough, I still liked how Bindi performed it. 
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:29 am

It's obvious that the VW done properly, is a very difficult dance to perform if all we can dredge up is a Maks and Merril version, this being the 21st season. Which brings us to the judging.The only judge this season to call out someone for lack of genre content,was Maks. He said he now realizes why Len would get so frustrated in dealing with someone who was trying to slip something past him. It usually was none other than master Derrick who is still trying to pull a fast one. If this show is ever going to improve I can see no reason for keeping Julie and CA around as judges if they are never going to see any evil on the dancefloor.There are 6 very good dancers left out there make them work for good scores.

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:54 pm

I've been thinking about this, and I suppose the path Derek is on-again - has been layed out mostly by the judges (and one of them in particular). He's not superhuman, so if they keep telling him what an amazing choreographer he is, why should he doubt it? If you can get away with it, why take risks? What is disappointing me most is that I know he can do better (and Bindi would be able to follow), and we got glimpses at it this season. Remember whenever Len whistled him back, as I called it earlier, the following week he presented a dance full of content and correct technique, but only "to please Len". So I guess he never really learned the lesson. On Strictly, Craig and Len would rip him to shreds- as Artem could probably confirm.  Derek is certainly the best showman, but  for choreography, I prefer Sharna and Val. I still think it's quite ironic Maks only won his mirror ball after he learned to play it like Derek (though with Meryl he deserved it for the dancing alone). But if that's what the audience wants, supported by CA and partly JH, who could blame the pros for drawing their conclusions? You said they should make the dancers work for good scores, and I second that. But why work hard on technique if fluff will do the job? I just hope Sharna, Witney, and Lindsay will keep track, so we'll see the difference. Maybe Derek steps it up and shows us (again) what he's capable of. If Bindi wins based on great dancing, I'd be happy with it. Still I have a bad taste in my mouth since at least for Carrie Ann the winner seems already determined, which must be as frustrating for Nick and Carlos as it was for Tamar.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:14 pm

What did you think of Derek's foxtrot choreography to Grace Kelly?  I thought that number was pretty good.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:42 pm

I believe the show chose Derek as their STAR long ago and set out deliberately to convince the viewers that he is the greatest dancer, choreographer, teacher and general wonderful guy ever to set foot on the ballroom floor. It has been quite successful as people in their thousands vow that Derek is top of the heap. Most of these people haven't got a clue what true dance talent looks like but, they've been told so often that Derek is it that they swear by him. 

Right now, I stand with my brother DMD as to the best choreographers on the show being Sharna and Val. And with Peta due to return she joins those two as the best. Those three are also the best dancers to me, Sharna just shines every outing. I get lost in Val's dancing, he is that good. And Peta, lovely Sweet P, is like a dance floor dream. Please don't try to tell me that Derek is a better teacher, just look at Sharna's coaching of Nick and Peta's with Tommy, James, Donald Driver. Val gives his all to every partner he gets, Rumer and Zendaya being my personal favourites.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:What did you think of Derek's foxtrot choreography to Grace Kelly?  I thought that number was pretty good.
Yes it was. I said before a dance doesn't have to be perfect to resonate with me. It's not that he's unable to do better. But Sharna and Val would never sacrifice the dancing for the show, even if the risk of failure is higher that way. Peta wouldn't either, and Maks never did. Like them, Derek is totally able to fuse both- but he's too inconsistent. No other pro ever caused so much controversy, and that is the other side of the medal. Just look how patient and confident Tristan is working with Jamelia on SCD this season, even if they probably won't win. I was about to get angry with him. Lesallee had to remind me this is not DWTS. Derek however would have been out week two.

DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by BAL91182 Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Lesallee wrote:I believe the show chose Derek as their STAR long ago and set out deliberately to convince the viewers that he is the greatest dancer, choreographer, teacher and general wonderful guy ever to set foot on the ballroom floor. It has been quite successful as people in their thousands vow that Derek is top of the heap. Most of these people haven't got a clue what true dance talent looks like but, they've been told so often that Derek is it that they swear by him. 

Right now, I stand with my brother DMD as to the best choreographers on the show being Sharna and Val. And with Peta due to return she joins those two as the best. Those three are also the best dancers to me, Sharna just shines every outing. I get lost in Val's dancing, he is that good. And Peta, lovely Sweet P, is like a dance floor dream. Please don't try to tell me that Derek is a better teacher, just look at Sharna's coaching of Nick and Peta's with Tommy, James, Donald Driver. Val gives his all to every partner he gets, Rumer and Zendaya being my personal favourites.
I know absolutely nothing about dance, so all of my opinions are based on what I thought looked best or fun to me, since I do not know proper hold, footwork, whatnot, and if they did it right. Ive also not watched from the beginning, so it was never instilled into me that Derek was the best dancer and choreographer. From my own personal opinion and judgement from what I have seen so far, I would say he is my favorite in both categories. I don't know if he is a nice person since I have never personally met him. He may be a jerk in real life, I don't know. There has been several dances/dancers from the few seasons Ive watched previously, that I have enjoyed much better than some of Derek's performance. Maks and Meryl for instance.  They were mesmerizing to watch. Ive never been in the mindset like so many people on these various DWTS forums who are strictly team so and so, and then hate everything else about another pro, like the team Derek or the old team Maks rivals. Ive liked all the dancers and have voted for quite a number of them based just on the dance I enjoyed the most.  Ive not liked some of Derek's partners in the past, but overall, I do think (again personal preference) that he by far I have enjoyed his choreography and dance skills the most.
BAL91182
BAL91182

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:33 pm

If that is really your opinion, it's absolutely fine. Just don't let Carrie Ann tell you what to like or dislike. I'm a bit like you. Never enjoyed the battles on the old board- still I fought a number of them. It should never be about the person. Derek has created some of my all time favorite routines. Yes he can. But if he takes the easy road, he should be called out. The trouble is he has become a brand of his own and can sell almost anything as great, brilliant, epic, mindblowing (anything else?) and sometimes it is just that. But just as often it's not, yet many people don't even question it because the king can't go wrong. Watch him in between the performances on the show: there are moments when he feels uncomfortable himself with the way they present him, and moments when he clearly enjoys to be just one of the dancers. If only they would let him.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:44 pm

I like Derek but I don't feel I'm a fanatic.  I don't feel I am influenced by the judges, but for whatever reason Derek does stand out on the show.  There must be a reason for that.  I partly do like his personality.  He does seem like a nice person sort of in the way Peta to me seems like a very sincere and nice person.  They both seem very likable on the show. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Sometimes I go to Dereks twitter .
 What I came across was sooooooo ludicrous  (ie..it would make me angry if it was not so laughable!!)
 During a rehearsal this week Bindi is drinking what looks like a Starbucks drink....Derek says  "have you not had one before? What's it like"   Bindi says in her oh so serious bindi soft voice..."it's like Angels cried in it..." as she caresses the cup......... LOL Laughing girl you don't need a MB when you can have an Oscar.............bindis answer to that...."that's right and I'll pick one up on my way to the bank as I'm laughing at all of you Americans that drank my koala-aid"     ROFL

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Oh boy, sis, are you on a roll today - first SharNickatroyd and now koala aid! Have you been into brother DMD's wine cellar again? And without me? I thought we had a pact.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Lesallee wrote:Oh boy, sis, are you on a roll today - first SharNickatroyd and now koala aid! Have you been into brother DMD's wine cellar again? And without me? I thought we had a pact.
She may have had too much Ir-wine (not in my cellar, though). Giggle
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:51 am

DeadManDancing wrote:
Lesallee wrote:Oh boy, sis, are you on a roll today - first SharNickatroyd and now koala aid! Have you been into brother DMD's wine cellar again? And without me? I thought we had a pact.
She may have had too much Ir-wine (not in my cellar, though). Giggle

I had to pass on the Ir-wine  I knew it would be so sickeningly sweet that one glass would put me into a diabetic coma......... Pale Sick Faint

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:16 pm

kincaid53 wrote:
DeadManDancing wrote:She may have had too much Ir-wine (not in my cellar, though). Giggle

I had to pass on the Ir-wine  I knew it would be so sickeningly sweet that one glass would put me into a diabetic coma......... Pale Sick Faint
That kind of coma where you see flashing lights and hear crashing music, I suppose.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:38 pm

No the kind where you see Koalas pharting bubbles,  crocs belching flowers, and those heavenly angels crying tears into starbucks drinks, because they're pretty sure Team SharNick is going to win the MB   Laughing

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top