DWTS Renewed ....

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DWTS Renewed  .... - Page 12 Empty Re: DWTS Renewed ....

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:21 am

Now isn't that ironic? There are people who could watch the show but refuse to just because the host has changed (your decision, of course), while others, like me, are left outside with only the YT clips... Not even my VPN will allow me to watch a full episode any more; so I can't really say much about Tyra's qualities. All I can say is Tom didn't really wow me the last few seasons. He looked kind of tired and caught up in long term routine.

What else did I notice? Sharna turned blonde and Bruno turned grey- for similar reasons apparently. Nice debut for Britt, Artem seems determined to make his return a success, and Gleb hardly has any dancing in his routines- which is nothing new. Jenna was blessed with a frontrunner again (I definitely saw some Val-Chmerkovskiy-moves in that AT), and Peta and Cheryl obviously know the anti-aging formula.

Enough familiar faces (including Derek) to keep it recognizable. Trust me, the show will go on. If only I could watch it... Crying or Very sad
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:04 pm

I have been watching like this for a few seasons.It is not because of the host,it is just to spare myself having to watch the "produced" drama ... I got kind of bored of it all.I did try to watch Tyra but really am not interested in her "model" behavior.If you had always loved dancing(which she says is the reason she is there) then leave the modelling behind and try some dancing for a dance show.
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:08 am

DeadManDancing wrote:Now isn't that ironic? There are people who could watch the show but refuse to just because the host has changed (your decision, of course), while others, like me, are left outside with only the YT clips... Not even my VPN will allow me to watch a full episode any more; so I can't really say much about Tyra's qualities. All I can say is Tom didn't really wow me the last few seasons. He looked kind of tired and caught up in long term routine.

What else did I notice? Sharna turned blonde and Bruno turned grey- for similar reasons apparently. Nice debut for Britt, Artem seems determined to make his return a success, and Gleb hardly has any dancing in his routines- which is nothing new. Jenna was blessed with a frontrunner again (I definitely saw some Val-Chmerkovskiy-moves in that AT), and Peta and Cheryl obviously know the anti-aging formula.

Enough familiar faces (including Derek) to keep it recognizable. Trust me, the show will go on. If only I could watch it... Crying or Very sad
I agree.  To not watch a show because of a host?  Tyra is not the whole show.  Anyway, I certainly don't miss Erin with her annoying voice and stork-like awkwardness.  So glad she is gone.  I also agree with what you say about Bergeron.  He was slowing down and not as quick as he used to be.  Val seems like he is losing his accent and Cheryl looks more comfortable without a full audience.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:14 am

Oh, Deadie, I am sorry you can’t watch the show.  Your VPN lets you use an American server, right?  But the show has still figured out that you are not in the country?   I did not know that was possible.  But if it is possible to do that, why can’t the US block the Russians and North Koreans from accessing sites to cause trouble? It baffles me. 

Anyway, tonight was another episode of the show.  Poor Keo got eliminated yet again.  That is really a shame.  Because I thought his partner Ann Heche was a decent dancer who could have improved much more if given the time to do so.  I suspect that Keo has just had difficulty getting votes from the audience.  As everyone knows, Pro popularity can often give a celebrity a few more weeks to develop. I wonder what more he could do to win the audience... He seems like such a sweet guy....
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:23 am

It may be too premature for me to say this and I know Skai got the high votes tonight, but there is something about her that rubs me the wrong way.  She is a good dancer, but I think she needs more humility and vulnerability.  The audience likes that in a contestant.  She seemed too sure of herself from the beginning.  Jeannie Mai is also kind of annoying.  The way the show is set up right now, it's kind of hard to gravitate toward anyone.  I think they need to get rid of two couples.  There are too many people on the show and they will probably do that soon.  I like Kaitlyn, Vernon Davis and Jesse Metcalfe so far.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:51 am

I don't know what it is this season but something is off kilter for sure.I get what you mean about Skai.I feel the same about Johnny,I really expected him to be awesome but something is just not clicking.That "jive" he tried to do was odd looking to me and that is one of my fave dances.

I am enjoying Justina  ... at least she seems to be happy to be there and it looks like she is enjoying it.
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:32 am

I feel like part of it is lack of an audience.  It does make it a little bit more flat and less tension.  I notice too they don't get into as much detail about the contestants or into possible romances, which is good.  Yesterday they explained the celebs' connections to the song or dance more quickly.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:08 pm

The reaction of the audience is for sure missed.When a couple makes a particularly nice move there is no applause or whistles like expected.I guess the "noise" of the show is different,you want to see/feel that excitement.
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:15 pm

Yes, and the performers react to it and feed off it.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Aren’t the other contestants and their pros standing around the balcony oohing and ahhing and clapping?  I know it isn’t much in that big room but I don’t think the place is completely silent.  The dancers must hear SOME reactions, don’t you think? 

Glitter, do you think Zendaya acted less poised and confident than Skai?  They were molded in the same Disney tradition way, I would think.   Also, we didn’t see much in the way of her studio time, where the celebs struggle to learn the dance. She may have appeared much more vulnerable if they had had the time to show that. 

Johnny Weir keeps reminding me of Edward Scissorhands. But more campy.  His dance technique seems odd to me. 

I am also enjoying Justina.  She dances full out with an infectious joy that is fun to watch.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm

I realize the place isn't completely silent, but I don't think it can compare to a full on audience.  I loved Zendaya and wanted her to win.  I was upset when the other girl won who I didn't like.  I liked Zendaya a lot more than this girl so far.  It isn't a factor for me that they came from Disney.  Their personalities are different.  Zendaya seemed to have more humility and didn't act like she expected the praise.  Didn't that Justin come from Disney?  I liked him too.

Zendaya was very poised and confident, but she also had that vulnerability or graciousness.  There is just something about Skai I can't explain yet.  It's like she expects the praise.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:56 pm

We see different things so far. I thought I saw a girl who was holding back tears from an emotional dance of loss of a friend.  Carrie Ann triggered that by zooming in on the grief.  Skai’s somewhat flat response after that to the praise she was given was what we all do when we can’t process what is being said because we are close to losing it.  Those were my thoughts at the time.  I would need to see it again to be sure I am remembering it correctly, though. 

There is a difference between the way the two women stand, though. Skai is short so she stands tall naturally.   Zendaya is tall and back in in her teens she slouched a bit to fit with her peers.  This difference could contribute to your perceptions of Skai looking uppity or entitled while Zendaya looked humble. 

Just my conjecture, though.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm just glad that the show is back to entertain us and lift our spirits during these uncertain times!
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Psychee22 wrote:We see different things so far. I thought I saw a girl who was holding back tears from an emotional dance of loss of a friend.  Carrie Ann triggered that by zooming in on the grief.  Skai’s somewhat flat response after that to the praise she was given was what we all do when we can’t process what is being said because we are close to losing it.  Those were my thoughts at the time.  I would need to see it again to be sure I am remembering it correctly, though. 

There is a difference between the way the two women stand, though. Skai is short so she stands tall naturally.   Zendaya is tall and back in in her teens she slouched a bit to fit with her peers.  This difference could contribute to your perceptions of Skai looking uppity or entitled while Zendaya looked humble. 

Just my conjecture, though.
The difference I see in them surely doesn't have anything to do with their posture.  I didn't even notice that Skai stood tall or Zendaya slouched.  I'm talking personality, what I see when not anything is being said and the vibe I get.  I thought Skai acted a little full of herself and too sure.  Zendaya has the confidence, but there is also a sincerity there.  I could be wrong about Skai.  The show hasn't been on that long.  There is something punkish about Skai.  I just liked Zendaya more.  I felt this way about Skai from the first show.  I wasn't judging Skai from her response yesterday.  It's more what happens during rehearsals.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:29 pm

Glitter, we have often had this same kind of discussion about contestants.  I think each time it was an issue of you perceiving a kind of insincerity or phoniness that I could not see.  We just have really different radar for that kind of thing, I think.  We can be happy for our diversity. Smile
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:44 pm

It could be that Skai is younger and feels she has more to prove or it's just personality.  I don't know.  Yes, I felt we were having an open discussion about it

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:16 pm

Psychee22 wrote:Oh, Deadie, I am sorry you can’t watch the show.  Your VPN lets you use an American server, right?  But the show has still figured out that you are not in the country?   I did not know that was possible.  But if it is possible to do that, why can’t the US block the Russians and North Koreans from accessing sites to cause trouble? It baffles me. 

Anyway, tonight was another episode of the show.  Poor Keo got eliminated yet again.  That is really a shame.  Because I thought his partner Ann Heche was a decent dancer who could have improved much more if given the time to do so.  I suspect that Keo has just had difficulty getting votes from the audience.  As everyone knows, Pro popularity can often give a celebrity a few more weeks to develop. I wonder what more he could do to win the audience... He seems like such a sweet guy....
Thank you Psychee- it would perhaps be easier to watch the North-Korean version of the show, if there was one... Jokes aside, by now I have at least managed to get access to the clips that include judges' comments and scores and a bit of Tyra doing her thing. What I'm missing is the packages; which makes it more difficult to connect to the celebs (don't know anyone except for AJ).
I don't think Keo is to blame for this early departure or has problems with the audience any more. Last season he wasn't even on the show (along with Sharna and Artem), but in S27 he made the finale and came in third place with Evanna. So it might as well be Anne who didn't get the votes.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Babs2147 wrote:I'm just glad that the show is back to entertain us and lift our spirits during these uncertain times!
And I'm just glad that at least one of my sisters is still around!
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:56 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:

I don't think Keo is to blame for this early departure or has problems with the audience any more. Last season he wasn't even on the show (along with Sharna and Artem), but in S27 he made the finale and came in third place with Evanna. So it might as well be Anne who didn't get the votes.
You could be right. Mind you, I don’t think the audience is against Keo, but I still get the feeling that he does not have a big fan base compared to many of the other pros. By that I mean how many people would cast votes for his partner simply because it is his partner? Evanna had JK Rowling and the cast of Harry Potter cheering her on and Luna Lovegood was a very popular character in Potterverse.  Can we really say she got votes because Keo is popular?  Or is it more likely that she got votes because she had a lot of influential cheerleaders and a huge fan base PLUS Keo did his usual great job at  bringing out the dancer in his partner so she performed well?
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Deadie, this is off topic, but I have two Disney questions for you.  

1). When German folks hear the Name “Jafar” (from Aladdin), do they associate it with the word “Gefahr” (danger in German) ?

2). In Star Wars, Yoda uses a mixed up word order in English. And some of that is similar to the normal word order in German.  How did German Yoda speak?
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 pm

Ok...80’s Night. 

I do not remember the clothes of the 80’s being quite that bad, but they did get the hair right—except for Val, who looked like he was wearing a wig from "Hamilton".  

My favorite dances of the night were from Justina & Pasha and Nelly & Daniella.  Justina is always fun but Nelly surprised by really getting into the groove tonight. I love watching a really big man kill the expectation by being the absolute opposite of big feet clumsy.  

Tyra changed her outfit twice tonight, I think, meaning she wore three different outfits.  Why do you all think they did that?

Eliminations ended with the judges having to choose between Sharna and Peta.  Peta got saved.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:12 am

I wish they would have taken Chrishell or Monica.  Monica is so blah.  I don't even know what she's saying, I find her so boring.  I think I know what bothers me about Skai.  She is overly perky, kind of like Jeannie.  They are good dancers though.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Psychee22 wrote:...Can we really say she got votes because Keo is popular?  Or is it more likely that she got votes because she had a lot of influential cheerleaders and a huge fan base PLUS Keo did his usual great job at  bringing out the dancer in his partner so she performed well?
Well, if people voted for her and not her pro: isn't that how it's supposed to be? Evanna apparently had the fan-base Anne was lacking, who probably wouldnt have come much further with any other pro. Keo did good in both cases; that's agreed.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:00 pm

Psychee22 wrote:Deadie, this is off topic, but I have two Disney questions for you.  

1). When German folks hear the Name “Jafar” (from Aladdin), do they associate it with the word “Gefahr” (danger in German) ?

2). In Star Wars, Yoda uses a mixed up word order in English. And some of that is similar to the normal word order in German.  How did German Yoda speak?
1.) The pronounciation of the first syllable is quite different; I don't think anyone would have this association.
2.) The German dubbing kept this element. The guy sounded like an early version of the Google translator...
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm

Psychee22 wrote:...

Eliminations ended with the judges having to choose between Sharna and Peta.  Peta got saved.
Can we agree the judges had to decide between Jesse and Vernon? Wink Bad luck for Sharna (you know I adore her). Jesse was a better dancer than Bobby will ever be- but sometimes that's not enough.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top