DWTS General Chit Chat

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DWTS General Chit Chat - Page 11 Empty Re: DWTS General Chit Chat

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:46 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:What exactly is a ringer? 

In this case, the term means "Someone who has been entered into the contest with an unfair advantage so that they will win".  Derek's partners are often accused of being ringers.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Someone on this board also said that Bindi is in some kind of show where they sing and dance? 

That would be me.  But I qualified the "dance" part.  The group was called "Bindi and the Croc-men".  Picture Bindi in front of four guys in Crocodile costumes, doing the kind of moves a preschooler can do (fitness for tykes, kind of thing).  Think Barny and Teletubby moves. Cute.  I think she was 8. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:52 pm

I don't know why it kind of feels like she is supposed to win.  If she has an unfair advantage, it would be her dancing ability and popularity.  She seems like the most popular one on the show and I don't know why.  Is it because she is with Derek? Something feels odd about her being on the show and being so popular. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by tinytiny Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:52 pm

I currently have Yahoo as my homepage (which I keep intending to change,) but I noticed that almost every day there is a story on the homepage about Bindi or Derek or both of them.  Nearly every day.  Someone on Yahoo is heavily promoting them.  Other teams are featured if they are leaving that week, or if something happens to them, as in the week Kim was in the hospital or Alec's friend was injured, but other than that you don't see much about the others.  Some of the other teams are never mentioned, but there are Bindi and Derek, every day or so.  It seems rather unfair to me.  Bindi is very cute, and Derek appears to be so happy with her, but where is the promotion for the other folks?

tinytiny

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:53 pm

I always think they put someone with dance potential or fan popularity with Derek all the time.  I don't think he ever had a partner that was in the Paula category.  Call me cynical but I think of the show as pushing certain pros to win with maybe a surprise if a celebrity does better than expected.  Do we think Keo is ever going to get partnered with someone who isn't voted out early?
beardiedawg
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Yes, it could be Bindi and Derek's promotion.  I don't know if there is another term besides ringer, but maybe there is a term for people who are supposed to win. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:58 pm

beardiedawg wrote:I always think they put someone with dance potential or fan popularity with Derek all the time.  I don't think he ever had a partner that was in the Paula category.  Call me cynical but I think of the show as pushing certain pros to win with maybe a surprise if a celebrity does better than expected.  Do we think Keo is ever going to get partnered with someone who isn't voted out early?
I agree with you and I'm not usually a cynical person.  There is something odd about Bindi's popularity on the show.  Do they think the audience can't decide for themselves who should win?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:I don't know why it kind of feels like she is supposed to win.  If she has an unfair advantage, it would be her dancing ability and popularity.  She seems like the most popular one on the show and I don't know why.  Is it because she is with Derek? Something feels odd about her being on the show and being so popular. 

Glitter, I don't think you react the same way most people do to folks like Bindi, Kellie, or Shawn Johnson.  Most of us are downright charmed by the good vibes that they exude, and that is an addicting kind of thing -- we just want more of it -- and that spells popularity.   But if you don't get affected in the same way, that popularity must see very strange to you, but honestly, it isn't.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:22 pm

tinytiny wrote:I currently have Yahoo as my homepage (which I keep intending to change,) but I noticed that almost every day there is a story on the homepage about Bindi or Derek or both of them.  Nearly every day.  Someone on Yahoo is heavily promoting them.  Other teams are featured if they are leaving that week, or if something happens to them, as in the week Kim was in the hospital or Alec's friend was injured, but other than that you don't see much about the others.  Some of the other teams are never mentioned, but there are Bindi and Derek, every day or so.  It seems rather unfair to me.  Bindi is very cute, and Derek appears to be so happy with her, but where is the promotion for the other folks?

I think I have read most of the press releases about Bindi since this season began, and from what I can see, the same articles appear all over the world in syndicated columns.  It is the same text, the same pictures, only different websites.  Yahoo!  and Google aggregate the news -- a computer puts on the front page the stuff that seems to be getting the most print attention.   When the same article appears on a gazillion pages on the net, the Yahoo computers are going to pick it up and put it on the front page.  There is no "promotion" involved. 

As for why stories about her would be more popular than, say, stories about the PenaVegas, the answer seems obvious to me.  She's a new face in Hollywood with a very fresh and wholesome differentness.  As they say, she's "trending".  She's the flavor of the month.  Again, one does not have to imagine some kind of advertising conspiracy to understand this. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:35 pm

I don't dislike Bindi and I certainly like her better than I liked Kellie.  Kellie just downright irritated me and I felt she was phony.  I understand that people like Bindi, but I don't understand the overall popularity of her over the other people on the show. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:I don't dislike Bindi and I certainly like her better than I liked Kellie.  Kellie just downright irritated me and I felt she was phony.  I understand that people like Bindi, but I don't understand the overall popularity of her over the other people on the show. 

I would say the really big difference is that Bindi is pulling on America's (and the UK's) heartstrings.  Were you able to watch her package and contemporary dance for her father without tearing up?  Most reports say that there wasn't a dry eye watching it.  It had IMPACT.  It was something that EVERYONE could relate to.  She had been an adorable asset to the cast with surprising maturity for her age before that, but that night, she became America's darling. 

Suddenly, everyone cares what happens to her. 

Who else on the cast can you say the same about?  Sure, they are great people, and I love watching them, but I don't think anyone else on the cast is having the same emotional impact.

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:17 pm

She had her father die when she was very young and that is sad.  That was out of her control.  Her father was also very popular.  That probably adds to people's feelings about her.  I'm sure other people in the show have their stories too.  She has a good story for the audience.  This isn't anything against her, but it kind of feels like a manipulation on the part of the show, like here is where I'm supposed to feel sad.  I didn't dislike Steve Irwin, but I wasn't a big fan.  It just doesn't hit me the same way.  If Bindi wasn't on this show, I wouldn't be thinking about her that much.  Now that I have seen her on the show, I feel she is a likable person. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Last season, Noah was the DWTS emotional draw.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 pm

That is for sure.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:33 pm

I have to admit to being a fan of Bindi's.  I was a big fan of her father and in complete shock when he died.  It's more than that with her, though.  Her excitement over learning keeps me interested.   I'm also a fan of Alec for the same reason.
beardiedawg
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by rc49ers Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:51 pm

I enjoy the show and  just like beardiedawg , I think Bindi  does work hard on learning her dance's every week .
rc49ers
rc49ers
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:20 pm

And that's how to look at it. I've said earlier it would be totally Hough to break the spell and make Bindi the first teen winner. Ok, there's room to grow, but she's eager to learn and she got what it takes. I am past this "anyone but Derek" now, and I won't critcize her for her body or her costumes. That is totally beside the point. It is also not her fault that Jennifer Grey was available for assistance while Britney Spears was not, but I thought she was much more in character than Alexa this week. I really hope Nick and Sharna will make it all the way, yet I try to be fair. I also see reasons why Tamar should win. Or anyone else left in the game now. I don't think we ever had so many potential finalists before.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:44 pm

I think Carlos and Alexa turn people off because they are so busy worrying about each other, they are afraid to do their best and do better than the other.  They need to be dancing for themselves.

Tamar is a good dancer but she leaves me emotionally cold.

I enjoy watching Nick and sometimes wonder why he doesn't score higher than he does.
beardiedawg
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Deadie, wasn't Shawn Johnson only 17 when she won the MBT with Mark? 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Carlos and Alexa don't bother me on the show.  I think they could be worse.  There are other things I could pick more on with the show. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:27 pm

There isn't anything wrong with the way I look at the show.  I just don't like to pretend that everything is wonderful.  That would be boring to keep writing about on this board.  Just because I write something negative about the show doesn't mean I'm consumed by it. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:51 pm

You are right glitters. This is a TV show, presented for entertainment. As with any TV show people see things in various ways from their own perspective. Anything or anyone on the show is fair game for discussion whether praise or dissent; this includes talent or lack thereof, hair (Mark!!), personality, costuming, music, hosting, really every little thing will be talked about favourably or not so favourably. Don't like a certain pro or celeb? Your prerogative. We have discussion boards so we can discuss things and shouldn't expect others to switch their opinions to ours just because we say so. You never do that, glitters, you stick to your guns and I admire you for that.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:58 pm

Psychee22 wrote:Deadie, wasn't Shawn Johnson only 17 when she won the MBT with Mark? 
I stand corrected. But wait- wasn't that before the spell was put on Kyle, Roshon, Zendaya, Sadie, and Willow?
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Thank you, Lesallee.  That is well put.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:11 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:
Psychee22 wrote:Deadie, wasn't Shawn Johnson only 17 when she won the MBT with Mark? 
I stand corrected. But wait- wasn't that before the spell was put on Kyle, Roshon, Zendaya, Sadie, and Willow?

Oh, yes.  You're right.  The spell was put on the young'uns AFTER Shawn won the MBT.  So Derek's challenge is to break that spell.   Very Happy

But how did the spell get cast?

ETA:  Looking at that list, I can see that I liked every one of those kids!
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top