DWTS General Chit Chat

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DWTS General Chit Chat Empty DWTS General Chit Chat

Post by Lesallee Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Several times I have thought of something I wanted to chat about but didn't really know where to post it. So maybe a thread for miscellaneous DWTS talk not tied to a specific episode thread will work.

Here's my opening salvo - Gary Busey and why he is on this show. I really wonder if TPTB thought they would recreate the magic of Tommy Chong with Gary. What a forlorn and unrealistic hope. Tommy is one of a kind with a wicked sense of humour who charmed most everyone. Gary, well the kindest thing for him would be an early exit. I notice Tom is very tentative and cautious when interacting with Gary. With Tommy he had nothing but fun. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

DWTS General Chit Chat Empty Re: DWTS General Chit Chat

Post by Psychee22 Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:32 pm

If I were Tom, I'd be a bit cautious around Busey as well.  I think he's a few fries short of a Happy Meal and terribly unpredictable. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Tommy had the advantage of performing before live audiences during his career plus some personal experience with latin dancing.  This added to the connection he had with Peta.  Tommy had his limitations, but he understood what he needed to put across in his dances, best shown in his Tango performance with Peta. Plus I think he understood how the show worked and got into the spirit of it, not taking it too seriously.  

It remains to be seen about Gary, and I suspect Anna will try to keep it on the fun side and not get overly technical which is probably the best way to handle him.  I understand the cautious approach and hope he will accept it as a fun experience and not get too stressed out.  I don't think he will last too long, but we all know stranger things have happened.   DWTS General Chit Chat Icon_neutral
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:32 pm

I am one who hopes he doesn't last long. He rather disconcerts me much as a ticking time bomb might. I just wish the casting department would do a better job. I fully understand that it is getting to the point where they take who they can get but from all I have heard Gary has mental health issues and to me, should not have been cast.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by piratealikat Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:07 am

Gary's issues stem from a brain injury received in a motorcycle accident.  Unfortunately, any one of receiving this kind of brain injury would have the exact same problem.  It does make for an interesting evening, waiting to see what falls out of his mouth! 
piratealikat
piratealikat

Back to top Go down

Post by WidderWoman4 Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:37 am

I'm sorry for his injury.  I'm sure it could affect anyone in the same way.  However, it has affected him to an extent that this show is just not a good format for him.

He really shouldn't continue.
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:49 am

I wouldn't put Gary and Chong in the same category.  Chong is more of a comedian.  Gary can be funny but obviously more actor and can obviously be better at making you think he is dangerous, and we sometimes don't know whether it's real or not.  I don't think he will hurt anyone.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:53 am

piratealikat wrote:Gary's issues stem from a brain injury received in a motorcycle accident.  Unfortunately, any one of receiving this kind of brain injury would have the exact same problem.  It does make for an interesting evening, waiting to see what falls out of his mouth! 

He may have had a head injury that exacerbated his problems, but he was a nut case long before that, refusing, for example, to ever wear a helmet when driving a motorcycle.  He has always been impulsive and unpredictable, I think. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:36 am

The same thing happened to Billy Idol as far as not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle and getting in an accident.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:57 am

OT - Any motorcyclist who does not wear a helmet is crazy. I was astounded at the protection and features of the helmet my son wears and grateful someone makes something that will protect his head.

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:19 am

piratealikat wrote:Gary's issues stem from a brain injury received in a motorcycle accident.  Unfortunately, any one of receiving this kind of brain injury would have the exact same problem.  It does make for an interesting evening, waiting to see what falls out of his mouth! 

There's also a theory that an overdose of cocaine and GHB in 1995 caused brain damage.  He's reported to have been clean since then (1995).  But my daughter remembers seeing him on Celebrity Rehab more recently than that.

Despite these theories, I remember his appearance on Celebrity Apprentice.  It's the only season I watched.  Gary appeared along with Michael Aday (Meat Loaf.)   Michael observed that when needed, Gary was perfectly capable of maintaining a sane demeanor, such as when they were making a presentation.  It was in his interaction with a group that he behaved like a mad man.  As time wore on, Meat Loaf came to the conclusion that his craziness was an act to garner attention.  It ultimately came to a head over a bag of paints, and he was ready to go for Gary's throat.  I couldn't blame him.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:47 am

newto wrote:OT - Any motorcyclist who does not wear a helmet is crazy.  I was astounded at the protection and features of the helmet my son wears and grateful someone makes something that will protect his head.
In the state of DE where I live you don't have to wear a helmet, just have one on your bike. When the BF and I got together I didn't wear a helmet because he didn't, but the more I thought about it I started to wear one because I have kids and my autistic son depends on me solely and I started wearing one for them. I'm being told now that a helmet isn't going to protect your head if it hits the pavement at normal traffic speeds, but I think I'd still rather take the precaution just in case. 
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:42 am

You are correct,a helmet is like a seatbelt,in most cases it is best to wear one but it does not protect you in every instance.

Do you think that GB would be more accepted if his disability was physical and not mental ? Everyone praised other people on the show before and called them brave to even try ...
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:59 am

Oakma wrote:You are correct,a helmet is like a seatbelt,in most cases it is best to wear one but it does not protect you in every instance.

Do you think that GB would be more accepted if his disability was physical and not mental ? Everyone praised other people on the show before and called them brave to even try ...
The previously "disabled" contestants (Noah, Amy Purdy) were of course physically affected and were not universally accepted by any means. But, Gary has a long history of erratic behaviour and that makes people nervous as you never know if he might go off. You did not have that sort of apprehension with Noah or Amy. 

I really think TPTB wanted an older character in the Tommy Chong mode and signed Gary to be the entertainer this season. I don't think they put enough thought and research into this casting and it is a mistake.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:03 pm

This subject is very interesting to me.Since I have a disability myself it always interest me to listen to people views on the subject.Do you think it is a fear of the unknown that make people uneasy around someone who has a mental condition ?
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Oakma wrote:This subject is very interesting to me.Since I have a disability myself it always interest me to listen to people views on the subject.Do you think it is a fear of the unknown that make people uneasy around someone who has a mental condition ?
I think people are always slightly uneasy around the unknown and unfamiliar. The brain and its functioning are still a huge mystery and TRULY understanding mental illness is nearly impossible. A missing limb, on the other hand, is a tangible and visible thing and can be easily understood. That's not to say that some won't be uneasy when confronted with a visible disability because many are. Uneasy and uncomfortable. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by WidderWoman4 Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Oakma wrote:This subject is very interesting to me.Since I have a disability myself it always interest me to listen to people views on the subject.Do you think it is a fear of the unknown that make people uneasy around someone who has a mental condition ?

First, I hope your disability is something you can manage without too much hardship.  Clearly it doesn't have a negative effect on your ability to post intelligently.

You could be right that fear of the unknown makes some uneasy around someone with a mental condition, if that condition appears to involve inability to control exaggerated behavior.  Gary Busey does seem (and it may be an act) over the top in his behavior, with little to no impulse control.  He comes across as dangerous, regardless of whether that's really true.  Moreover, I've always found him creepy looking, so it's not a combination that allows me to view him dispassionately or, perhaps, fairly.

If it is an act on his part, he should get a new act.
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by WidderWoman4 Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Good observations, Lesallee.
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:59 pm

I do hope he is not putting it on .. the stigma of mental illness is not a joke and is certainly NOT funny.

It would be a great chance for him to speak about his problem and inform people ... such as others have about bullying and such.
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Interesting to read your comments, all.

In an interview quite a while back (maybe it was with Val) he said that just in general, it is getting harder and harder for the casting folks to find "stars" (I use the word loosely) who 
   1 - want to
   2 - can find or make time to
   3 - are fit enough to

And I'll add, they don't seem to want to branch out to STARS from other networks or anything anti-Disney.  True?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:15 pm

Larissasbff wrote:Interesting to read your comments, all.

In an interview quite a while back (maybe it was with Val) he said that just in general, it is getting harder and harder for the casting folks to find "stars" (I use the word loosely) who 
   1 - want to
   2 - can find or make time to
   3 - are fit enough to

And I'll add, they don't seem to want to branch out to STARS from other networks or anything anti-Disney.  True?
You're right, Larissa, recruiting celebs to DWTS has become difficult. But the casting department has become lazy and unimaginative to me. They seem to have the mind set of "Well it worked for the last couple of seasons, we'll just find someone in the same mould and go with that". 

DWTS is an elderly show but it is consistently in the top five ratings wise and really could use some rejuvination. As you say, perhaps look outside the Disney box more often but change things up some. Not the same types handed to the same pros.  We know Derek, Mark and Val will get viable contenders, Tony will get a hopeless case and Keo will get a no chance lady. The show doesn't slot the female pros so rigidly so every now and again one of the ladies can topple the male reign as did Witney. I believe Sharna will prevail this season as in Nick Carter the casting department hit a home run.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Larissasbff wrote:...

That at least is quite normal, I think. It's the same on the German version of the show, where most stars and starlets come from soaps and reality shows on the same network. Call it promotion or cross-fertilization. Celebs from rival networks may even be contractually forbidden to participate. Another aspect is maybe sticking to a winning formula. Remember Joey Fatone followed by Lance Bass, Kelly Monaco followed by Ingo Rademacher, and Brant Daugherty followed by Janel Parrish; not to mention the row of Disney kids.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Starz Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:33 pm

ABC/Disney is not going to go too far from the "family" for contestants. It is just business. NBC and CBS do the same.
We are lucky that ABC/Disney has a wider circle to choose from for "stars".

Starz
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Concerning Gary, I think he was an odd person even before his accident.  Concerning the casting of the show, I think since the show has been on this long, it just gets harder to find people.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:14 pm

I tend to enjoy the show more when several of the "also rans" are gone. I know DWTS has so many weeks to fill up and I don't look down on any of the contestants but I think 13 is too many. The dances are so short for the first several shows you don't dare blink or its over. At least on week one there were only three judges so we didn't get quite the usual time eating verbiage from the judging panel.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top