Week 8: "Icons" Night Dances

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 8:  "Icons" Night Dances - Page 2 Empty Re: Week 8: "Icons" Night Dances

Post by Lesallee Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Louis on Afterbuzz said there will be NO surprise regarding immunity; it will go to precisely who we expect. I took that as Bindi. Boring! How much more fun it would be if someone like Tamar  got immunity.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by tinytiny Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Lesallee wrote:Louis on Afterbuzz said there will be NO surprise regarding immunity; it will go to precisely who we expect. I took that as Bindi. Boring! How much more fun it would be if someone like Tamar  got immunity.
What do you think the reasoning is behind immunity if it goes to the obvious person?  What does it accomplish?  I don't get it.

tinytiny

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:43 pm

tinytiny wrote:
Lesallee wrote:Louis on Afterbuzz said there will be NO surprise regarding immunity; it will go to precisely who we expect. I took that as Bindi. Boring! How much more fun it would be if someone like Tamar  got immunity.
What do you think the reasoning is behind immunity if it goes to the obvious person?  What does it accomplish?  I don't get it.
She will also be getting 3 extra points which will make her even more unstoppable and increase her overall cumulative scores.
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm gathering you're a Bindi fan?  You're really rubbing it in.  lol

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Why would giving Bindi immunity make sense when she doesn't need it and is the most likely to win?

I really doubt that Bindi will get immunity this week.  She is dancing a foxtrot.  Foxtrots rarely get 10's, and Derek doesn't particularly like them.  In contrast, Nick is doing a Contemporary -- choreographed by Sharna, no less.  Contemporaries have no rules and VERY often are awarded 10's.  I expect that Nick will have the highest score of the night and therefore get the immunity. 

This whole immunity thing is really designed, I think, to deal with the problem of pairing off an uneven number of couples in the dance-offs, and the dance-offs are designed to make it look like there is a greater difference between the contestants in terms of scores.  But in reality, the difference, no matter if it is 10 points, only results in a difference of like 10 divided by 450 or thereabouts in the actual formula for determining who goes home.  That only becomes relevant when the viewer votes of the two least popular couples are equal to the hundreths percentage, and I sort of doubt that happens very often.  So it all comes down to creating tension for the viewing audience so folks will stay involved and talk up the show. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:48 pm

DiscoDiva92 wrote:
tinytiny wrote:
She will also be getting 3 extra points which will make her even more unstoppable and increase her overall cumulative scores.
Is it even Bindi, or is it rather all about Derek again? I had really hoped this season would be different and yes, Tamar getting immunity would be great. I'm an idiot.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:50 pm

I'll settle for Nick getting immunity if I had to choose between them. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:I'm gathering you're a Bindi fan?  You're really rubbing it in.  lol
Actually, I'm indifferent toward Bindi.  While I do think that she is a nice person and a good dancer, I have not voted for her this season.  I just think she will most likely win this season.

My favorites this season are Nick and Alexa.  I also like Tamar as well.
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:52 pm

Psychee22 wrote:
Glittersisgld wrote:Why would giving Bindi immunity make sense when she doesn't need it and is the most likely to win?

I really doubt that Bindi will get immunity this week.  She is dancing a foxtrot.  Foxtrots rarely get 10's, and Derek doesn't particularly like them.  In contrast, Nick is doing a Contemporary -- choreographed by Sharna, no less.  Contemporaries have no rules and VERY often are awarded 10's.  I expect that Nick will have the highest score of the night and therefore get the immunity. 

This whole immunity thing is really designed, I think, to deal with the problem of pairing off an uneven number of couples in the dance-offs, and the dance-offs are designed to make it look like there is a greater difference between the contestants in terms of scores.  But in reality, the difference, no matter if it is 10 points, only results in a difference of like 10 divided by 450 or thereabouts in the actual formula for determining who goes home.  That only becomes relevant when the viewer votes of the two least popular couples are equal to the hundreths percentage, and I sort of doubt that happens very often.  So it all comes down to creating tension for the viewing audience so folks will stay involved and talk up the show. 

If Tamar is doing the paso, I think she has a chance at getting immunity as well.  She seems to be good at the latin dances.
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:55 pm

My biggest problem with Bindi is that she has dominated the leaderboard almost every single week.  I don't really see a journey for her.  It looks like they are pushing for her to win this season which makes it predictable and boring.  The other couples are so behind in term of judges scores compare to Bindi.  At the moment, it doesn't seem like there are much competition for her and Derek.
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:57 pm

So, which dance-off would you all most like to see?  Bindi versus Tamar (and her substitute partner Val) or Bindi versus Nick?

I think there is some irony in the fact that Val taught Bindi the cha-cha, which is likely to be one of the dances for the dance-off.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by tinytiny Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:00 pm

I think Bindi is really sweet, but I'm not voting for her either.  I don't usually vote for the obvious winner because I like dark horses.  I hope she doesn't get immunity because I'd like to see who she would have to do a dance off against.  It might be interesting.  I don't know if anyone could beat her, though.

tinytiny

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Psychee22 wrote:So, which dance-off would you all most like to see?  Bindi versus Tamar (and her substitute partner Val) or Bindi versus Nick?

I think there is some irony in the fact that Val taught Bindi the cha-cha, which is likely to be one of the dances for the dance-off.
Bindi vs. Tamar.  I want to see a Derek vs. Val showdown. Very Happy   (although I don't think that will happen since Bindi will get immunity)
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:03 pm

DiscoDiva92 wrote:My biggest problem with Bindi is that she has dominated the leaderboard almost every single week.  I don't really see a journey for her.  It looks like they are pushing for her to win this season which makes it predictable and boring.  The other couples are so behind in term of judges scores compare to Bindi.  At the moment, it doesn't seem like there are much competition for her and Derek.

How can you say that?  Nick's cumulative score was only one point lower than Bindi's last week when they determined team leaders.  Have you any idea how easy that is to change?  And Tamar, Alexa, and Carlos were only a couple of points behind them.

Also, that team leader thing is the ONLY time that cumulative scores mean anything in this show, so even if she was thirty points ahead now, it wouldn't mean a thing.  Winners are not determined by cumulative scores.  They are determined by the vote on Freestyle night which nobody can predict until after the Freestyles are danced and sometimes, not even then.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:03 pm

I don't think Bindi is the all around best dancer.  The only obvious winner I ever wanted to win was Nicole S, but I haven't watched all the shows.

Last edited by Glittersisgld on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:04 pm

DiscoDiva92 wrote:My biggest problem with Bindi is that she has dominated the leaderboard almost every single week.  I don't really see a journey for her.  It looks like they are pushing for her to win this season which makes it predictable and boring.  The other couples are so behind in term of judges scores compare to Bindi.  At the moment, it doesn't seem like there are much competition for her and Derek.
Girl, you nailed it. If Bindi and Derek would win fair and square, I'd be cheering  for them. But it almost seems as if producers were shocked they have some real competition and thought they'd better take the usual measures. As I said, I had hoped it would be different this season.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:09 pm

DiscoDiva92 wrote:
Psychee22 wrote:So, which dance-off would you all most like to see?  Bindi versus Tamar (and her substitute partner Val) or Bindi versus Nick?

Bindi vs. Tamar.  I want to see a Derek vs. Val showdown. Very Happy   (although I don't think that will happen since Bindi will get immunity)

The result would be predictable, I think, based on "connection" issues.   Bindi and Derek would look like they were having lots of fun while Val and Tamar would not.  It would not really be a Val versus Derek thing.  It would be a Bindi-loving-life thing versus a Tamar-being-aloof thing.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:18 pm

You guys seem to think that Bindi has been on the top of the leaderboard every week.

For your edification:

Week 2.  Tamar was on top.
Week 3.  Nick and Alexa on top.
Week 5.  Alexa on top.
Week 6.  Bindi shared top spot with Tamar and Andy. 

Why are you all remembering differently?
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:31 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:Is it even Bindi, or is it rather all about Derek again? I had really hoped this season would be different and yes, Tamar getting immunity would be great. I'm an idiot.
I had no sense that Louis was alluding to Derek in any way. He was asked about immunity and simply said: no surprise coming.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:35 pm

Psychee22 wrote:You guys seem to think that Bindi has been on the top of the leaderboard every week.

For your edification:

Week 5.  Alexa on top.

Psychee, it't not only about topping the leaderboard. It is also about being ovescored in relation to the others. Her Dirty Dancing was good, but how was it better than Nick's Saturday Night Samba? It's like getting a bonus, and she wouldn't even need that!!!
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:44 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:
Psychee22 wrote:You guys seem to think that Bindi has been on the top of the leaderboard every week.

For your edification:

Week 5.  Alexa on top.

Psychee, it't not only about topping the leaderboard. It it also about being ovescored in relation to the others. Her Dirty Dancing was good, but how was it better than Nick's Saturday Night Samba? It's like getting a bonus, and she wouldn't even need that!!!  [emphasis mine]

Firstly, you are talking 1 Point less, given by ONE judge.

Secondly, both Tamar AND Andy got one point more than Nick that night, but you are NOT claiming that that was unfair. 

Thirdly, the one point he missed was from Carrie Ann, who this week (in her blog) is claiming that she has spurred him to greater heights and that this is a good time for him to peak so he can become the winner. 

Can you not see how your impressions about this producers-manipulating-so-Bindi-can-win are not supported by these facts?
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Why do I not complain about Tamar and Andy getting perfect scores? Because they deserved them. But so did Nick. Sometimes it's as simple as that. For me, at least.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:08 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:Why do I not complain about Tamar and Andy getting perfect scores? Because they deserved them. But so did Nick. Sometimes it's as simple as that. For me, at least.

So you are saying that you didn't think Bindi deserved 40 points for her dance?  That her dance wasn't as good as Andy's?  That she didn't deliver the "oh wow" moment that 10's are usually given for?  Just so we're clear.   Because if you aren't complaining that Andy and Tamar got 40's when Nick only got a 39, that is where you are coming from.  Right?

Would you say that she was overscored by 4 points?  Perhaps she only deserved 9's across the board, giving her a 36 for how she performed?  5th place that night?
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:23 pm

I think you need to calm down. All I'm saying is: if Bindi's dance was a 40, Nick's should have been either. 39 for Bindi would also have been ok, because the lift wasn't perfect. All four of them getting nines across the board would have done it as well. Anyway, Carrie Ann needs to judge what is happening in front of her and stop handing out strategic scores (or pretend to do so because she simply cannot admit she was wrong). What is the impression the average viewer gets from this scenario? Bindi was perfect because the experts at the table said so; Nick was not. Bingo. It doesn't matter if the difference is one or five points. And: it wouldn't be the first time Carrie Ann sends someone home early with her weird scoring.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:52 pm

I understand your complaint about Nick's score.  But Deadie, as soon as you say that a score of 39 would be ok for Bindi, too, then you are saying that any judge giving her a 10 for the dance is OK.  That it was a 10-worthy dance.  These judges don't confer with each other before they give out their scores.  Three out of four judges believed that Nick's dance and Bindi's dance deserved 10's.  Only ONE judge differed, and she is always a loose cannon.  So I can't see how that ONE judge, who is KNOWN for docking points for reasons that she only sees, would be "gifting" Bindi by giving her a 10 along with two other couples just because she saw something in Nick's performance that she wanted to dock him for.  She docked Bindi for a lift at the very end of a waltz that neither of the other judges thought were dock-worthy, too.  That's Carrie Ann.  That does not constitute proof to me that the producers are manipulating scores so that Bindi will win UNFAIRLY and that was the topic of this conversation.  

And may I remind you that a score of "10" does not mean "perfection".  It usually only means that the couple delivered a very praise-worthy performance that exceeds the expectations of the judges.  You quoted Len as saying "Sometimes a dance being given a 10 is just better than a 9".

Last edited by Psychee22 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top