Week 8: "Icons" Night Dances

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 8:  "Icons" Night Dances Empty Week 8: "Icons" Night Dances

Post by DiscoDiva92 Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:08 pm

These are the dances for week 8 (will update as I get more information and could be wrong):

Nick and Sharna:  Contemporary
Carlos and Witney:  Salsa
Andy and Allison:
Bindi and Derek:  Foxtrot
Alexa and Mark:
Tamar and Val:

Also, the couples with the highest score will get immunity and a few extra judges' points.  As of now, it will probably be Bindi and Derek (she is the only one who has been getting 9s and 10s from the judges in the past several weeks).  The other couples will face each other in a dance-off for additional judges' points.

Last edited by DiscoDiva92 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Week 8:  "Icons" Night Dances Empty Re: Week 8: "Icons" Night Dances

Post by Psychee22 Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:22 pm

How is "Icons" different from "Famous Dances"?

I have read some opinions that say that they would prefer for someone like Bindi (or Nick) to get the immunity because people are obviously voting for her (and him) already.  In other words, they would prefer it not be someone who needs help, because that then has the whiff of manipulation.

They are going to need to determine who is the head judge before they get into this in case of a tie score at the top of the leaderboard.  I'm thinking it should be Bruno, given his job on SCD.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Psychee22 wrote:How is "Icons" different from "Famous Dances"?

I have read some opinions that say that they would prefer for someone like Bindi (or Nick) to get the immunity because people are obviously voting for her (and him) already.  In other words, they would prefer it not be someone who needs help, because that then has the whiff of manipulation.

They are going to need to determine who is the head judge before they get into this in case of a tie score at the top of the leaderboard.  I'm thinking it should be Bruno, given his job on SCD.

Hmmmm...I was wondering that myself since I could not remember if they had made that clear or not......I saw where some people thought it was JH because of her being in the middle seat, but I don't think so...do all the dwts shows have a head judge?

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:34 pm

The rule about the head judge determining ties came to us from the UK, so I would think it was part of the the way things are set up  everywhere, but I could be wrong.  They do have it in the UK, though.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Psychee22 wrote:How is "Icons" different from "Famous Dances"?

I think it is similar to season 19 week 9 (American Icons Night).  I agree, the person who get immunity is probably someone who is pulling in a lot of votes (Amber, Janel, Nastia in past season) and probably Bindi this season.
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Psychee22 wrote:The rule about the head judge determining ties came to us from the UK, so I would think it was part of the the way things are set up  everywhere, but I could be wrong.  They do have it in the UK, though.

Thanks!
I do think it was a little presumptuous of me to think I was being singled out on the other thread.  I also have problems with the who and whom thing  Duh   
  I'm okay with whomever(???).. they pick as head judge...hahaha...

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:56 pm

But if this is yet another icon night, that would mean that there is no Latin or Disney night this season.  They've run out of weeks.

So far, I think all this talk of "icon week" is based upon one article by Sharna describing her contemporary with Nick as "telling the story of a an icon".  I don't think that necessarily means that the rest of the dances would do the same, but maybe I'm just hoping.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:37 pm

They more we talk about Bindi winning, the less I want her to win.  I don't think she needs any immunity.  I think she has an unfair advantage as it is and not because she is a ringer.  At this point it is too predictable if she wins. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Well, I'd like Bindi to get immunity for the simple reason that she would feel very bad about having to choose one of her new friends to dance against and would feel even worse if she won against them.  We've heard her version of "trash talk".  [Actually, I think Alexa is pretty much the same in that regard, but she is not likely to be the one choosing the sparring partner.]
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:12 pm

Yes, I was going to say that Alexa kind of comes off as a goody-goody and it doesn't work in her favor.  She was good in her last dance, but she seems like she has a hard time letting herself go in a dance. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Kim has told PureDWTS that the "icon" dance is "someone who has inspired the celebrity".  Where do they come up with stuff like this? 

So Carlos can do a salsa to  "Jesus Christ, Superstar", I guess.   Lord knows who Bindi can do -- she's already kinda done her dad thing.  A Captain Kangaroo foxtrot?  Giggle

More ideas?

Last edited by Psychee22 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Ha!  I found a foxtrot for Bindi.  Her source of inspiration? "Dr. Doolittle".  Somebody send Derek a tweet!

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:50 pm

The first thing coming to my mind when I read "Icons Week" is one of the best dances ever, performed on that theme week in S18. James Maslow picked music producer L. A. Reid, who produced the Michael Jackson Album Escape, and Peta created a wonderful Cha Cha to Love Never Felt So Good. If only one performance next week reaches that level, it's all worth it.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:29 pm

Loved that dance and Gasolina.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:31 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:The first thing coming to my mind when I read "Icons Week" is one of the best dances ever, performed on that theme week in S18. James Maslow picked music producer L. A. Reid, who produced the Michael Jackson Album Escape, and Peta created a wonderful Cha Cha to Love Never Felt So Good. If only one performance next week reaches that level, it's all worth it.
Oh man, I just had to go and watch that Jeta MJ Cha Cha. WOW! Then I needed to watch The Divine Mister M and Sweet Pea doing their awesome freestyle Applause which led to their Frozen contemporary Bow. Think I will watch 'em all again!
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Week 8:  "Icons" Night Dances Empty Buddy TV Article

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:49 am

'Dancing with the Stars' Spoilers: Week 8 Songs and Dance-Off Rules by Buddy TV

John Kubicek, Senior Writer, BuddyTV
(29 Oct 2015)

====================================================================
The Top 7 will all take the floor with individual routines dedicated to important people in the stars' lives. The highest scoring couple will receive immunity for the week, which is crucial since only five points separated first and last place on the leaderboard last week. The other six couples will then compete head-to-head in a series of Dance-Offs for extra points.

The six couples will be paired off to win an extra two points to their scores. However, this season viewers will get to be the fourth judge, with live-voting at home in real-time counting to decide the winner in each Dance-Off. Of course since there will be four votes, the truth is that America's vote won't really matter unless it's a tie, with viewers and head judge Julianne Hough on the same side against Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli. In addition, the couple with immunity will automatically get an extra three points added to their score for the next elimination.

While ABC hasn't released the dance styles for everyone, we do know that the night will include Argentine Tango, Viennese Waltz, Salsa, Foxtrot, Contemporary and Paso Doble. Nick Carter will get a Contemporary routine while Carlos PenaVega has Salsa and Bindi Irwin will do a Foxtrot. By process of elimination, this means Tamar Braxton will be doing the Paso.

Here are the songs the seven couples will dance to:

Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough: "Grace Kelly" by MIKA

Alexa PenaVega and Mark Ballas: "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay

Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson: "Valio La Pena" by Marc Anthony

Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess: "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Haley Reinhart

Tamar Braxton and Val Chmerkovskiy: "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga

Andy Grammer and Allison Holker: "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder

Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold: "Holding Out for a Hero" by Ella Mae Bowen

=================================================
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Head judge Julianne Hough? If I was Bruno, I'd definitely be pissed.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:54 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:Head judge Julianne Hough? If I was Bruno, I'd definitely be pissed.

It seems bizarre, but.... Is she the only one of the judges with formal training in ballroom dancing? 

Carrie Ann doesn't seem to know the difference between a paso doble and an argentine tango.

In any case... let us hope that there will be no need for Julianne's "head judge" vote to settle a tie between her brother and someone else.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:07 pm

And nobody needs to be getting immunity, especially people who don't need it.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:And nobody needs to be getting immunity, especially people who don't need it.
The person who will be getting immunity is most likely Bindi.  She has been on the top of the leaderboard almost every week this season.  On top of that, she is probably the one who is receiving the most viewer votes so giving her immunity would make sense.  Like Psych said earlier, they probably want to give it to someone who doesn't need it; in other words, it would be someone who is dominating the judges' leaderboard and viewer votes.
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:26 pm

That's why they shouldn't give immunity.  It isn't necessary.  Bindi hasn't always been at the top of the leaderboard, has she?  I don't get why she is getting the most viewer votes either.  Bindi winning is like the movies that come out in the summer that appeal to the masses when you would rather watch an indy film. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Why would giving Bindi immunity make sense when she doesn't need it and is the most likely to win?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:31 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:That's why they shouldn't give immunity.  It isn't necessary.  Bindi hasn't always been at the top of the leaderboard, has she?  I don't get why she is getting the most viewer votes either.  Bindi winning is like the movies that come out in the summer that appeal to the masses when you would rather watch an indy film. 
Every DWTS fan sites I have been to is predicting Bindi to the be the winner of this season.  At the moment, she is unstoppable.  Unless she messes up badly in the upcoming weeks, it seems that she will most likely be the champion of this season
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:34 pm

That's the problem.  It's so predictable.  Why her?  It isn't like she's Paul Newman or something. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by tinytiny Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:35 pm

I don't think it matters if she messes up or not, she will still win.  All the stories I am seeing on the media feature her and Derek, or her alone.  You wouldn't even know anyone else was competing on the show.

tinytiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top