Between Seasons Conversations

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Between Seasons Conversations - Page 16 Empty Re: Between Seasons Conversations

Post by kincaid53 Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Lawrence Welk had a show though for 31 years.  DMD must know who he is since Welk was German.  You know how all the Germans know each other.  Lol!  A funny story is I used to work in a building that Lawrence Welk owned and he and his orchestra would sometimes play on the lawn with the bubbles going and the whole bit.

He was such a lovely man..he always picked a lady from the audience to dance with!!   

omg I forgot about the bubbles!!!   I remember the Polka!!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:44 pm

This is sort of a parallel story, but I used to know this teenage boy from Iran years ago and I started talking about Dick Cavett and I was convinced his parents would know who Dick Cavett was because he used to be so popular.  But I guess because they were from Iran, they didn't know who Dick Cavett was.  I was surprised anyway.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:48 pm

The Welk show was seen in Canada, Glitters. And my "kids" are adults but Welk was so far removed from their preferred music that they would't know him at all. Neither my husband nor I ever watched him either. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:03 pm

He was far removed from my taste too and I didn't watch him unless I was changing channels and accidentally saw him.  Maybe he was talked about more here since he lived here.  I think he was on Sundays.  I don't know if you're around the same age as me, but back then we had about 6 channels in addition to PBS, so it was hard to avoid him on Sundays. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:13 pm

What happened to Psychee?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Lawrence Welk had a show though for 31 years.  DMD must know who he is since Welk was German.  You know how all the Germans know each other.  Lol!  A funny story is I used to work in a building that Lawrence Welk owned and he and his orchestra would sometimes play on the lawn with the bubbles going and the whole bit.
Lawrence who? Honestly, no idea. But I looked him up. Born in North Dakota with ancestors from Alsace. About as German as you are, Glitters. Btw: am I supposed to know your mom?  Scratch
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:25 pm

No, you aren't supposed to know her, but you made a comment something about Europeans being more introverted.  You said, "Being a European myself, I may connect with introverted characters easier than you."  I mentioned my mother because she was European, so there would obviously be an influence on me.  Lawrence Welk was born in a German speaking community and grew up speaking German, so he probably acted more German than me whatever that means.  He had a TV show for 31 years and I'm pretty sure he was internationally famous. 

Last edited by Glittersisgld on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm assuming you're stereotyping Europeans and Americans, saying Europeans are more introverted and Americans are more extroverted?  That isn't true.  There are too many Europeans and Americans to categorize them.  I have known enough Europeans in my day and I don't know them to be any more introverted than anyone else.  I don't know why you made your comment other than hoping I must be ignorant of what Europeans are like. 

Last edited by Glittersisgld on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Honestly, DMD, you don't know me to know how much of anything I am and you certainly didn't do enough research to find out how German Lawrence Welk is.  I guess you don't know who Arnold Schwarzenegger is either even though he is Austrian.  Lawrence Welk was at least as famous as him in his day.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:44 am

Really, Glitters? Just to remind you: I was only trying to find an explanation why I possibly like Ms Liukin better than you. Nothing personal about it- at least, not intentional.
And then... 
..."DMD must know who he is since Welk was German.  You know how all the Germans know each other.  Lol!"...
Your words, not mine. Now let me ask you: isn't that also kind of what you reproach me for- stereotyping? I tried to take it light-hearted though. I'm German. So is your mother. Proceeding on your assumption, I should know her. Thought you'd get the irony, but apparently I was wrong there. My bad.
And this Welk guy? The language of his ancestors means nothing in regards to his nationality (he was a US citizen), and his mentality was no point of discussion here. Furthermore, Alsace belongs to France since the 1870's. So was he maybe even a Frenchman on the inside?

Kindly do some research yourself. Meanwhile, I will try to find out more about one Arnold Schwarzenegger. That seems to be another gap in my education, but I'm always willing to learn.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:39 pm

*backs out slowly*
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Voguerista from PureDWTS posted her personal Top 5 dances of 2016--meaning every dance in 2016 (Seasons 22 and 23) including pro dances.  Her picks are:

1.  Derek's Kairos pro number, Season 23
2.  James and Sharna's Freestyle, Season 23
3.  Nyle and Peta's Freestyle, Season 22
4.  Paige and Mark's Paso Doble, Season 22
5.  Calvin and Lindsay's Freestyle, Season 23
HM:  Jana and Gleb's Samba, Season 23.  Sasha's proposal to Emma, Season 23.

http://www.puredwts.com/2016/12/27/your-top-five-favorite-dancing-with-the-stars-dances-of-2016/

These are some good picks.  I'll have to give this some thought because this is probably going to be difficult for me to narrow to just five.  Honorable Mentions are okay to include if you have more than five.
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:47 pm

There's an old stereotype that ascribes a warmer & more extroverted personalities to Southern Europeans & colder but fiscally responsible personalities in Northern Europe. A central debate on the future of the European Union and the euro centers on this fault line. Something similar is seen in the US with thewarmer Southern hospitality & the colder attitude of Northerners (particularly waspy New Englanders). But not every individual within a particular region is the same & culture also varies in time (for example, harsh physical punishment of children--which used to be very common-- is now frowned upon).

Going back to dance, the current styles of ballroom dancing were mainly developed in the 20s, 30s & 40s (except waltz which is if course older). So it doesn't come as a surprise that old movies show fantastic ballroom dancing. Since ballroom was more popular then, the pool of talent was also deeper and the best were better than todays. The acrobatic latin styles were developed in the 50s & 60s & the last 30 years have seen the development of hip-hop dancing. What DWTS calls contemporary was already being developed 100 years ago by Diaghelev & Isadora Duncan. But DWTS objective is not to show the new frontiers of dance but to renew popular love for dancing beyond twerking in a disco and for that I'm glad that it exists. Hopefully the new World of Dance will show more of the top level new frontier dancing that SYTYCD has fallen short of showing.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 am

suebob16 wrote:Voguerista from PureDWTS posted her personal Top 5 dances of 2016--meaning every dance in 2016 (Seasons 22 and 23) including pro dances.  Her picks are:

1.  Derek's Kairos pro number, Season 23
2.  James and Sharna's Freestyle, Season 23
3.  Nyle and Peta's Freestyle, Season 22
4.  Paige and Mark's Paso Doble, Season 22
5.  Calvin and Lindsay's Freestyle, Season 23
HM:  Jana and Gleb's Samba, Season 23.  Sasha's proposal to Emma, Season 23.
My first reaction was 'no wonder Derek would top that list', but since I didn't get to watch the results show, I searched for a video to do him justice. It is totally his style and a great production, but the effort he put in with Marilu impressed me more. Everyone seems to appreciate Sharna's work this season, so James' freestyle is not as surprising as Nyle and Peta's. Although not her own creation, it was indeed impressive. Mark is always worth mentioning; so is Lindsay. I might have named Sasha for his work with Terra rather than the proposal. One could also make a point for Laurie and Val's freestyle- just not on Pure, maybe.
I was pleased though that some readers replying with their own picks did actually include Val, everyone
had Sharna at least once on their list, and Lindsay got mentioned for both Wanya and Calvin.  
My top five would be totally James and Sharna, so I will exclude them to give others a chance.
1. Laurie and Val- Freestyle
2. Calvin and Lindsay- Argentine Tango
3. Jana and Gleb- Foxtrot
4. Nyle and Sharna- Viennese Waltz
5. Jodie and Val- Paso Doble
HM: Paige and Alan- Salsa/ Nyle and Peta- Samba/ Wanya and Lindsay- Charleston/ Jana and Laurie- Team Sisters
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:50 pm

Val just posted a video saying Baby is arriving imminently. He won't be able to do the show in Richmond tonight.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:13 pm

bailadora wrote:There's an old stereotype that ascribes a warmer & more extroverted personalities to Southern Europeans & colder but fiscally responsible personalities in Northern Europe. A central debate on the future of the European Union and the euro centers on this fault line. Something similar is seen in the US with thewarmer Southern hospitality & the colder attitude of Northerners (particularly waspy New Englanders). But not every individual within a particular region is the same & culture also varies in time (for example, harsh physical punishment of children--which used to be very common-- is now frowned upon).
Let's say I just found out the hard way that generalizing can get one into trouble...
However, there
is some relation between geography (also climate; maybe) and mentality. In regards to the European Union, one should think migration/ freedom of movement (not talking about refugees here; that's a different story) leads to reducing the cultural differences, but that is obviously not the case. The loss of national identity is an argument frequently used by anti-Europeans (Brexit supporters among them).

DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Lesallee wrote:Val just posted a video saying Baby is arriving imminently. He won't be able to do the show in Richmond tonight.
...which is excusable under these circumstances. Family first, says Uncle Val.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Talking about characteristics reflecting one's country of origin I have to say how frequently I laughed and thought, "Oh James, how very Canadian you are"! Just little things that only a fellow Canuck would notice. And not because of geographical proximity; James was born and raised some 3,500 km from me.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:28 pm

I've seen several pictures of Amber Rose with the fam on Christmas and New Years.......I think she and Maks and Peta became good friends , and Val ...good friends also(maybe one with benefits Question )   

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:45 am

DeadManDancing wrote:

My first reaction was 'no wonder Derek would top that list', but since I didn't get to watch the results show, I searched for a video to do him justice. It is totally his style and a great production, but the effort he put in with Marilu impressed me more. Everyone seems to appreciate Sharna's work this season, so James' freestyle is not as surprising as Nyle and Peta's. Although not her own creation, it was indeed impressive. Mark is always worth mentioning; so is Lindsay. I might have named Sasha for his work with Terra rather than the proposal. One could also make a point for Laurie and Val's freestyle- just not on Pure, maybe.
I was pleased though that some readers replying with their own picks did actually include Val, everyone
had Sharna at least once on their list, and Lindsay got mentioned for both Wanya and Calvin.  
My top five would be totally James and Sharna, so I will exclude them to give others a chance.
1. Laurie and Val- Freestyle
2. Calvin and Lindsay- Argentine Tango
3. Jana and Gleb- Foxtrot
4. Nyle and Sharna- Viennese Waltz
5. Jodie and Val- Paso Doble
HM: Paige and Alan- Salsa/ Nyle and Peta- Samba/ Wanya and Lindsay- Charleston/ Jana and Laurie- Team Sisters

DMD, I like your picks.  I'm still not satisfied with my list, but here is mine (always subject to change):

1.  James and Sharna's Fusion - An emotional Sharna and a beautiful dance that sums up their partnership
2.  Calvin and Lindsay's Freestyle - What can I say--it's got treadmills!
3.  Paige and Mark's Paso Doble - Paige's Most Memorable Year, and another creative effort from Mark
4.  Nyle and Peta's Cha Cha - Nyle really made an impression in his very first dance
5.  Paige and Mark's Jazz - A fun dance with Mark as a goofy looking Austin Powers

Favorite Pro Dances:  
Happy Crayon Dance (Season 23)
Most Memorable Year (w/Andre Rieu, Season 23)

HM:  
James and Sharna - Freestyle/Argentine Tango/Viennese Waltz w/Jenna
Paige and Mark - Argentine Tango
Nyle and Peta - Viennese Waltz switch-up w/Sharna
Calvin and Lindsay - Argentine Tango

Yay!
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:41 am

Well little Shai Aleksander Chmerkovsky was born at 5:34am this morning in NY city. Peta probably exhausted from carrying him around for the last 8 months handed him to Maks and asked him to give her makeup purse so  she could put her mascara on, which is was more important at the time. So Peta take a few weeks off and hurry back here for Season 24! Congrats

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 pm

She'll probably be back in the gym next week.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:34 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:And then... 
..."DMD must know who he is since Welk was German.  You know how all the Germans know each other.  Lol!"...

DMD, I was obviously joking when I said this.  That is why I added the Lol!  It was a joking sarcastic remark.  I definitely admit to that.  I thought you would know that.  It's like when people say Chinese people all should know each other.  It was a take-off from that. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:59 pm

DMD, I didn't say you should know my mother.  I thought I explained that since she is European, that would have some influence on me and being introverted or not introverted.  I thought I explained that somewhere. 

I guess if you don't know who Arnold Schwarzenegger is, then you definitely won't know who Lawrence Welk is.  I was just surprised because they are both international stars.  I didn't mean that just Welk's ancestors spoke German, but that the city he was raised in they spoke German, so there must have been a lot of German influence on him.  I realize that when you are born and raised in a European country, that will be different than maybe being first generation American with European relatives.  I'm not sure what you consider being German other than that difference.  I'm just saying that when you are born in the US but have European parents, there will be a European influence there.  My mother who you obviously don't know would be different German than you I guess because she was Jewish and was sent to England during WWII. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:25 pm

I just finished watching a bunch of Nyle and Peta and James and Sharna videos. Ah, the wonderful memories.

*le big sigh*
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top