Between Seasons Conversations

Page 11 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Between Seasons Conversations - Page 11 Empty Re: Between Seasons Conversations

Post by Lesallee Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:I don't know if anyone knows Artem choreographed a number for the movie La La Land starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.  They showed him on ET. 
Good for Artem. Seems as though new opportunities are opening up for DWTS people. He is such a magnificent dancer and it seems like the show wastes his talent. Maybe next season he will get a contender.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:55 am

Yay! Artem!
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:11 am

Deadman wrote "Jane, first of all none of those who made it to this place are personally responsible for the end of the old board. In case you forgot, that credit goes to the considerable number of blockheads we left behind. Second, as much as snark doesn't take the place of humor, criticism in itself isn't automatically constructive; so since you admit to not bother much, maybe ask yourself if you could have done more to keep people like Lux or WW invested. All that monkey business certainly didn't help the case. Personally, I have decided to be thankful for what I've got here rather than mourn for what I've lost, and that includes all those who bother to keep it going- whether I agree with their opinion or not. Note: lighting a candle is better than complaining about the darkness. Think about it. "

-----
Deadman -- you are a very good guy.  You are.  And you are absolutely correct in that in that no one or group of people is responsible for various people not, having made it to or, continuing with the Boards.  So sorry about that.

However, as far as criticism not automatically being constructive:  when someone hurls (pardon the reference to the Monkey, but I do find him to be very amusing) gratuitous snark at another poster, and when that snark is unredeemed and unencumbered by any real value -- no wit, no humor, no clever association, no grace  -- and when it is hurled at one of the nicest and most thoughtful people on this Board, well . . . . .the hurler of the snark should be called on it.  

That's all.

(she wants to hurl at me, that's fine.  It doesn't bother me one whit, in fact I generally do not read her posts. But even the Monkey, whom I know you do not care for, only hurls at those who he thinks are not truly bothered by his hurling)
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 am

Glittersisgld wrote:I don't know if anyone knows Artem choreographed a number for the movie La La Land starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.  They showed him on ET. 

I did not know that either. I like Artem. I thought he did a really good job with Maureen!!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Is anyone going to watch Hairspray tonight with Derek?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:35 pm

Can't watch it live, Glitters. Will you be watching? If you do give us a report.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:56 pm

I'll be watching Hairspray Live tonight too although I might have some distractions with maybe some people stopping by for a visit.  I'm going to try to record it too.
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:59 pm

I don't know if I will watch the whole thing.  I'll see how it goes.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:49 am

I got to see the last half of it, I had not seen it before. It was really good. Jenifer Hudson has some chops now!!! 

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:04 am

Did you see her in Dreamgirls?  She won an Academy Award and Golden Globe for her role. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:41 am

No, but if that's the one that was based on the supremes, I heard she stole the show away from Beyoncé.  I saw a few parts of it and I've heard her sing on some other shows......she just blew me away with the song I heard her sing tonight.
   I'm not a real big fan of Arianna Grande, but the girl can sing....at least what I heard tonight.

Didn't Harvey Fierstein play Edna on Broadway and I think may have won a Tony.   Travolta played it on screen I think.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:02 am

You're right about Harvey Fierstein and Travolta.  I saw the movie, but I think I liked this better.  Jennifer was great in Dreamgirls.  Ariana did a sketch on SNL where she imitated all these singers like Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Rihanna.  She was really good in it.  It's on YouTube.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:03 pm

There is a song that Jennifer Hudson sings in Dreamgirls called And I Am Telling You.  It is amazing.  You should listen to her sing it. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:08 pm

Just listened to  Jennifer sing that song. She sings with so much emotion...wow!  I watched a few clips of her in Dreamgirls   and she really took that role and owned it!!

Saw the Ariana sketch, that was good and funny, but when she did Whitney..very impressive!  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Saw that Ray Chew was the Music Director of an inspirational music show at Carnagie  Hall Tues. night.  I think his group on dwts is getting better. It was a little bit of a rough start in the beginning though, I thought.  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Did you see her in Dreamgirls?  She won an Academy Award and Golden Globe for her role. 
Amber Riley is currently starring in the musical Dreamgirls in London. She was mentioned on Strictly, otherwise I wouldn't have known.
I'm a fan of Ariana Grande. What a voice for such a little girl. She also added vocals to the following song. It's the soundtrack of James and Sharna's last dance on DWTS...

DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Caught Hairspray Live last night.  My previous Hairspray experience was with the 2007 movie based on the Broadway musical, and this production seems to be based more on the original Broadway version.  Because it was live, however, you also get to see some of the glitches that can happen as well.  Throughout the show there was the occasional sound glitch, or lighting problem, or camera issue.  But overall it was a good show, and I did enjoy it.  

There is a YouTube channel of Hairspray Live! that has lots of videos including a run of the entire show (3 hours long), so be sure to check it out.  UPDATE:  The Hairspray Live fanpage had to remove their videos of the actual performance although they still carry the sneak previews and behind the scenes ones.

Derek was the perfect Corny Collins for this production, and this was a great chance to see him do everything--sing, dance, and act.  He even went right from finishing a song to jumping into a real commercial for Oreo cookies, still in character as Corny.

Some thoughts:

*I thought Ariana Grande was fine as the shy and awkward Penny, but I think she would have come across better if this production had been treated like a traditional movie.  I wanted to see more camera shots of her facial reactions and felt like we were mostly seeing shots of her from the side.  

*I really liked Maddie Baillio who played Tracy but prefer Nikki Blonski's version from the 2007 movie if I had to choose.  

*Dove Cameron who is best known for her work on the Disney Channel was a good choice for the snotty Amber, and she does well here.  

*Garrett Clayton who has also done work for the Disney Channel visually looks like the perfect Link but doesn't come across as strong.  

*Ephraim Sykes and Shahadi Wright as Seaweed and his little sister Inez were very good and wanted to see them do more in the show.  

*The biggest critical response was to Jennifer Hudson's performance as Motormouth Maybelle.  She really killed the vocals on the two big solos she had in the show, plus she and Ariana share a duet together during the curtain call at the end.  

*All of the other veteran performers (Harvey Fierstein, Martin Short, Kristin Chenoweth, Andrea Martin, Sean Hayes, Rosie O'Donnell) did great work too and were well cast in their roles.

Last edited by suebob16 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:23 pm

DMD, I like Ariana Grande too.  You should check out the YouTube video of her on SNL when she was imitating celebrity singers.  She is amazing.  I want to look like her in my next life.  She is so beautiful.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:28 pm

kincaid53 wrote:   Saw that Ray Chew was the Music Director of an inspirational music show at Carnagie  Hall Tues. night.  I think his group on dwts is getting better. It was a little bit of a rough start in the beginning though, I thought.  
The rough start was probably rather a fault of the production. The band is often placed behind the stage; dependent on a signal to start. That didn't always happen in the first few shows. The sound however has been great right out of the gate. I've heard a lot of bands and orchestras on various dance shows over the years. Ray's musicians are top notch. Sometimes I like their adaptions even better than the original version of the song.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:DMD, I like Ariana Grande too.  You should check out the YouTube video of her on SNL when she was imitating celebrity singers.  She is amazing.  I want to look like her in my next life.  She is so beautiful.
Glitters, what are you doing to me? I almost peed in my pants watching that. Btw: don't worry. You're looking better than ever.

DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for putting it up on the board.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 am

OUR VERY OWN, VERY HANDSOME Henry Byalikov,  Teaching Wheel chair dancing at "DANCE WITH ME". Tony Maks & Val have their studios, & employees trained to offer classes in wheelchair ballroom dancing. They are all,amazing.

Between Seasons Conversations - Page 11 Img_0352
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:49 pm

Dancing is for everyone. I have always appreciated that DWTS keeps inviting people like Heather, Marlee, Amy, Noah, Nyle, and Terra. Respect for DWM. A dancer in a wheelchair would probably overtax our judges though.

I still think DWTS lost a good one when Henry left. Something must have happened during season 20.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:10 pm

For sure something happened during season 20. Everything was sailing along smoothly with Henry standing in for Derek, then bam, he's gone. Sasha takes over, no explanation as to why. 

I thought Henry had the potential to step up as a fully fledged pro. He is a great dancer but I guess we will never know what could have been.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Remember Henry had a pro spot in season 18 (w. Diana Nyad). Like Jenna and many other 'new' pros before, he was eliminated first and went back to the troupe for s 19. That was when Keo was hired as a pro without prior experience...
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top