Between Seasons Conversations

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Between Seasons Conversations - Page 10 Empty Re: Between Seasons Conversations

Post by Lesallee Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:27 am

Did you know that Danny and Oti earned the first 40 in Strictly's history for a Samba? Each week these two bowl me over. Tomorrow should be another treat.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Psychee22 wrote:Changing the subject, I just saw the last three dances of Danny Mac and Oti on Strictly.

Wow. 

I have no idea who Danny Mac is -- is he a dancer?  Because he's really really good, and Oti's choreography is fantastic.  We have seen dances to these same three tunes, but I think she has bested our choreographers.

Psychee, come join us on the Strictly thread if you like. I'm happy to see Oti gets appreciation here as well.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Yes, Psychee, my brother and I have been talking to just each other for ages. We need more Strictly appreciators on that thread. blue used to drop in now and again but not lately. Where are you blue? Come back to Strictly.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Danny Mac is an actor-- his most famous role was for the soap opera Hollyoaks. But he was trained in a "Fame" type school where actors also receive dance training. So he is a ringer in the same mold as Danica McKellar but not Meryl Davis or Corbin Bleu. Oti's work with him has been phenomenal.

Danica is anothèr one of Val's former partners that still maintain a friendship with him. He seems to develop deep and lasting bonds with his partners. Shirley Ballas,talks wonderfully about him too.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:39 pm

I missed Danica in my Val comment, thanks for the memory jog bailadora. 

Are you going to join us on the Strictly thread? We are actively recruiting!
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:40 pm

Should there ever be another All Star season, they should focus on couples that haven't won yet but still have it in them. I vote for Val and Tamar (besides Team StopAndGo of course).
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Lesallee wrote:I missed Danica in my Val comment, thanks for the memory jog bailadora. 

Are you going to join us on the Strictly thread? We are actively recruiting!
I support this invitation!
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:59 pm

This goes out to all board members having dance show withdrawals already: Strictly is the place to be!
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:24 pm

I have a question.

From time to time, I read folks here making a sort of big deal about the C-Bros keeping in close contact with former partners, like Zendaya, or Meryl, or Rumer Willis, or Danica.

I don't understand why that is touted as some extra wonderful thing for them to do when every one of the pros maintains close relationships with most of their former partners.  Take Mark, for instance, who maintains at least weekly contact with Sadie, Candace, Kristie, Paige, Willow and Alexa and even invited them to his wedding. Tony, Derek, Sasha, Tristan, Emma, Cheryl, Kim, Julianne, Sharna, Lindsey and Witney all maintain close relationships with their former partners, some more than others I'm sure, but still, it seems to be more the rule than the exception.

Related to that, I also don't understand why these extended time relationships are somehow considered evidence of generosity, when these relationships have mutual benefits.  Zendaya, who has 20 times the star power that Val does, has much less to gain from Val than Val does from her.  So why is his friendship with her considered generous instead of just a normal nice thing for two humans to share? 

So could someone please explain to me what I am missing here?  Why are these C-Bros partner friendships periodically mentioned here as if every other pro is not doing the same?

Thanks.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:37 pm

A rock star and his groupies!

Between Seasons Conversations - Page 10 Img_0345
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Sasha looks so different!  lol! I don't think I would have recognized him without Emma next to him.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Psychee22 wrote:I have a question.

From time to time, I read folks here making a sort of big deal about the C-Bros keeping in close contact with former partners, like Zendaya, or Meryl, or Rumer Willis, or Danica.

I don't understand why that is touted as some extra wonderful thing for them to do when every one of the pros maintains close relationships with most of their former partners.  Take Mark, for instance, who maintains at least weekly contact with Sadie, Candace, Kristie, Paige, Willow and Alexa and even invited them to his wedding. Tony, Derek, Sasha, Tristan, Emma, Cheryl, Kim, Julianne, Sharna, Lindsey and Witney all maintain close relationships with their former partners, some more than others I'm sure, but still, it seems to be more the rule than the exception.

Related to that, I also don't understand why these extended time relationships are somehow considered evidence of generosity, when these relationships have mutual benefits.  Zendaya, who has 20 times the star power that Val does, has much less to gain from Val than Val does from her.  So why is his friendship with her considered generous instead of just a normal nice thing for two humans to share? 

So could someone please explain to me what I am missing here?  Why are these C-Bros partner friendships periodically mentioned here as if every other pro is not doing the same?

Thanks.

I just brought it up because of the comment someone made about Val making all of his partners cry. I don't doubt that many keep up with each other to some extent........and then there are those that maintain a very close relationship like Kym and Robert Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Blow kisses Love Cupid  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:08 pm

Psychee we know well your loathing for Val and as that is your opinion, so be it. However I do take exception to your statement that Val takes much more from the Zendaya friendship than Zen does. When Zen appeared on DWTS she was just a Disney kid not a huge star at all. Val was far better known in his field than Zen was in hers. They became a great partnership and formed a genuine bond that persists to this day. Zendaya has gone on to greater glory but she is still a member of the Chmerkovskiy family. Certainly other DWTS pros have stayed friendly with some of their former partners, to some degree. But the Zendaya, Val friendship is quite unique.

I don't believe anyone touted that friendship as evidence of Val's generosity as you state. Rather their bond shows a kind, sensitive man completely opposite to the ogre you view him as. However, Val is a very generous man, as is brother Maks. Their charitable work is well known.

Time to let this drop now but your statement about Zen and Val bothered me and I had to reply.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:01 pm

Lesallee, did you think that I imagined Val as someone so one-note bad that he couldn't have close friendships with anybody?  That I didn't think he could have generous feelings for anyone?  That I couldn't see him caring and caring deeply about anyone?  Did you think that I thought that the stuff I see him doing that seems so Eddie-Haskell-like is ALL THAT IS IN HIM? 

Please understand that this is not the case.   I do not profess to know the man or his character.   I only know the image that he projects.   And I can only react to that image.  Clearly, the obsequious unctuous commentary from him on DWTS  turns me off.  But I do think that he does that in an overdriven need to be liked that is spectacularly backfiring on him with me, and that under that behavior is a much more complex human being.  I would hope that in his larger life, in situations where he feels more secure, a more genuine human being would be manifested.  But I don't get to see him when he doesn't think he is being judged.

But back to my question...  I was simply trying to understand why you and others thought that the Val-Zendaya friendship was so "unique".  I ask because it is a subject that is mentioned a LOT on this board.  I was NOT questioning that it was a REAL friendship with close feelings going both ways.  I was just questioning why it is mentioned as if it is something that proves that Val is so extra special kind and sensitive and generous for maintaining this friendship when I know of so many pros who have maintained deeply felt friendships with their partners, both young and old as well.. 

But I think you answered my question when you said that she was "just a Disney kid and not a huge star at all" at the time she joined DWTS.  You are thinking, perhaps, that Val took this barely known girl under his big wing and helped her thrive to become the mega star that she is today?

If so, then it is that assumption where we disagree.  The reason I disagree is that girl had 2.5 million Twitter followers in May 2013 when she was on the show (she has something like 9 million now).  She was the star of her own TV show for three years by that point.  She had recorded songs, she had her own concert tour, she had appeared in movies, she had acting credits from dozens of other TV shows, she had appeared in countless talk shows, TV specials, and award shows, and she had her own fashion line.  She had already acquired a half dozen or so Young Artist nominations for her performances.  She was raking in the money and had the self confidence of a young and very successful entrepreneur, already in talks for launching a show she was producing herself.  She was the next generation Selena Gomez on the cusp of even more spectacular things and she knew it.
She wasn't "just a Disney kid".

So I never saw her as some kind of young ingenue needing a big brother to protect her from the big bad world.  What I saw in their friendship was a confident girl who owned her place in that relationship as an adult from the get go.  She accepted him as a teacher, and he taught her well,  but she seemed perfectly comfortable teasing him about his hip-hop dancing and arranging with her own teacher to teach him how to do it right.  Whereas other partners like Elizabeth Berkeley tensed up with anxiety when he started to get overwrought, Zendaya teased him out of it.  She kept it fun.  And I'll bet you any amount of money that in spite of her age, she was more of an emotional support for him than he was for her, just as Meryl was for Maks.  And I say that because in my perspective, Val has always been in need of a confidence boost whereas Zendaya felt then and continues to know now, that the world is her oyster.

So, yeah, I would agree that his relationship with her was/is special, but not in the way that you and others seem to be suggesting.  I would say that this relationship is special because they have great chemistry -- he thrives in the environment of Zendaya's disarming honesty and humor. And I'm sure the fun goes both ways.

Off the soapbox now...
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:39 pm

I would say Zendaya got more popular after the show but not necessarily because of her being on DWTS.  I didn't even know who she was because I didn't watch those Disney shows.  I guess they're for younger people.  But I'm guessing she would have gotten more popular anyway because of her career paths.  It just seemed like it was DWTS because of the timing.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Psychee22 wrote:Lesallee, did you think that I imagined Val as someone so one-note bad that he couldn't have close friendships with anybody?  That I didn't think he could have generous feelings for anyone?  That I couldn't see him caring and caring deeply about anyone?  Did you think that I thought that the stuff I see him doing that seems so Eddie-Haskell-like is ALL THAT IS IN HIM? 

Please understand that this is not the case.   I do not profess to know the man or his character.   I only know the image that he projects.   And I can only react to that image.  Clearly, the obsequious unctuous commentary from him on DWTS  turns me off.  But I do think that he does that in an overdriven need to be liked that is spectacularly backfiring on him with me, and that under that behavior is a much more complex human being.  I would hope that in his larger life, in situations where he feels more secure, a more genuine human being would be manifested.  But I don't get to see him when he doesn't think he is being judged.

But back to my question...  I was simply trying to understand why you and others thought that the Val-Zendaya friendship was so "unique".  I ask because it is a subject that is mentioned a LOT on this board.  I was NOT questioning that it was a REAL friendship with close feelings going both ways.  I was just questioning why it is mentioned as if it is something that proves that Val is so extra special kind and sensitive and generous for maintaining this friendship when I know of so many pros who have maintained deeply felt friendships with their partners, both young and old as well.. 

But I think you answered my question when you said that she was "just a Disney kid and not a huge star at all" at the time she joined DWTS.  You are thinking, perhaps, that Val took this barely known girl under his big wing and helped her thrive to become the mega star that she is today?

If so, then it is that assumption where we disagree.  The reason I disagree is that girl had 2.5 million Twitter followers in May 2013 when she was on the show (she has something like 9 million now).  She was the star of her own TV show for three years by that point.  She had recorded songs, she had her own concert tour, she had appeared in movies, she had acting credits from dozens of other TV shows, she had appeared in countless talk shows, TV specials, and award shows, and she had her own fashion line.  She had already acquired a half dozen or so Young Artist nominations for her performances.  She was raking in the money and had the self confidence of a young and very successful entrepreneur, already in talks for launching a show she was producing herself.  She was the next generation Selena Gomez on the cusp of even more spectacular things and she knew it.
She wasn't "just a Disney kid".

So I never saw her as some kind of young ingenue needing a big brother to protect her from the big bad world.  What I saw in their friendship was a confident girl who owned her place in that relationship as an adult from the get go.  She accepted him as a teacher, and he taught her well,  but she seemed perfectly comfortable teasing him about his hip-hop dancing and arranging with her own teacher to teach him how to do it right.  Whereas other partners like Elizabeth Berkeley tensed up with anxiety when he started to get overwrought, Zendaya teased him out of it.  She kept it fun.  And I'll bet you any amount of money that in spite of her age, she was more of an emotional support for him than he was for her, just as Meryl was for Maks.  And I say that because in my perspective, Val has always been in need of a confidence boost whereas Zendaya felt then and continues to know now, that the world is her oyster.

So, yeah, I would agree that his relationship with her was/is special, but not in the way that you and others seem to be suggesting.  I would say that this relationship is special because they have great chemistry -- he thrives in the environment of Zendaya's disarming honesty and humor. And I'm sure the fun goes both ways.

Off the soapbox now...

Beating a dead horse Beating a dead horse Beating a dead horse Beating a dead horse

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Oh, sis! I can always count on you to make me laugh. I am glad we are Chongie family!
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Lesallee wrote:Oh, sis! I can always count on you to make me laugh. I am glad we are Chongie family!

Just having some fum Laughing Laughing Laughing

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Kind of sad what passes for humor on this Board these days.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:31 pm

GymGirlJane wrote:Kind of sad what passes for humor on this Board these days.
True. Especially since a monkey sets the bar.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:53 pm

LOL Laughing Laughing       Wait, Thinking  did I feel a burn Question ROFL

It's an emoji kind of day Laughing

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:15 pm

kincaid53 wrote:LOL Laughing Laughing       Wait, Thinking  did I feel a burn Question ROFL

Yes you did.  

Personally, I do not think snark takes the place of humor.  And by the ever diminishing number of people who bother posting on this Board with you folks, I suspect other people agree with me.   The ABC Boards were hopping.  Most people never found their way over here but even amongst those who did many of the more entertaining and personable ones (Lux, WidderWoman etc) have dropped out.  I don't bother with it much and when I do log on most of the time I see the same 3 people talking to eachother.  Think about it.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks for sharing Flower

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:39 pm

GymGirlJane wrote:

Personally, I do not think snark takes the place of humor.  And by the ever diminishing number of people who bother posting on this Board with you folks, I suspect other people agree with me.   The ABC Boards were hopping.  Most people never found their way over here but even amongst those who did many of the more entertaining and personable ones (Lux, WidderWoman etc) have dropped out.  I don't bother with it much and when I do log on most of the time I see the same 3 people talking to eachother.  Think about it.
Jane, first of all none of those who made it to this place are personally responsible for the end of the old board. In case you forgot, that credit goes to the considerable number of blockheads we left behind. Second, as much as snark doesn't take the place of humor, criticism in itself isn't automatically constructive; so since you admit to not bother much, maybe ask yourself if you could have done more to keep people like Lux or WW invested. All that monkey business certainly didn't help the case. Personally, I have decided to be thankful for what I've got here rather than mourn for what I've lost, and that includes all those who bother to keep it going- whether I agree with their opinion or not. Note: lighting a candle is better than complaining about the darkness. Think about it. 
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 pm

I don't know if anyone knows Artem choreographed a number for the movie La La Land starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.  They showed him on ET. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top