Switch-Up Week ....

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Switch-Up Week .... - Page 2 Empty Re: Switch-Up Week ....

Post by kincaid53 Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:06 pm

DiscoDiva92 wrote:It seems this is the dances for next week.

Nick: Paso Doble
Paula: Jive 

Tamar and Louis: Samba
Bindi: Cha-Cha
Alexa: Tango
Hayes: Viennese Waltz
Alek: Rumba
Andy: Argentine Tango
Carlos: Quickstep

Okay here goes
  Nick.. going from boy bander to handsome and suave to bullfighter!!!        You can do it!!
  Paula..no doubt Mark will make it a fun jive to remember for you!!
  Tamar ..I just remember that really hot samba Louis did with Kendra...I'm sure yours will be just as smokin'!!
  Bindi... nice you have fun dance after last week..and a fun guy to dance it with!!
  Alexa..Tango number 2 this season for Derek....fine with me ....I always enjoy his Tangos and Alexa will do great!!
  Hayes..after the maturity you showed in that contemporary, I'm sure you will do well with the VW
  Alek....I'm betting Emma will choreograph a beautiful Rumba for you!!
  Andy...Listen to Sharna...and you'll do fine!
  Carlos...remember quick ,but controlled....
I think it should be a good night.....I mean we have Maksim judging!! As long as Julianne doesn't say that someone 'phoned it in"

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:49 pm

I love the idea of really switching it up this time; not keeping it in the families like Meryl-Val, Danica-Maks, Amy-Mark, Sadie-Derek, and so on. Let the Pure guys get a heart attack about it,  I'm fine with that. Particularly happy for Louis, he deserves a treat! It's a pity we don't get to see Anna and Karina with some capable cast members. Why not allow the eliminated pros to participate, like in the trio round?
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:15 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:I love the idea of really switching it up this time; not keeping it in the families like Meryl-Val, Danica-Maks, Amy-Mark, Sadie-Derek, and so on. Let the Pure guys get a heart attack about it,  I'm fine with that. Particularly happy for Louis, he deserves a treat! It's a pity we don't get to see Anna and Karina with some capable cast members. Why not allow the eliminated pros to participate, like in the trio round?

I have often believed that the stars should have a same-sex pro assigned to them for consultations throughout the season (in addition to the opposite sex pro partner they usually get).  It would be easier for them to get those gender roles down with a model, I think... all those stylized feminine flourishes for the ladies and "manly-but-graceful" mannerisms for the guys. They wouldn't have to be around all the time -- just later on in the week when the routine is being perfected.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by luvthepros Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Psychee22 wrote:
I have often believed that the stars should have a same-sex pro assigned to them for consultations throughout the season (in addition to the opposite sex pro partner they usually get).  It would be easier for them to get those gender roles down with a model, I think... all those stylized feminine flourishes for the ladies and "manly-but-graceful" mannerisms for the guys. They wouldn't have to be around all the time -- just later on in the week when the routine is being perfected.
That is an awesome idea. I do believe at times the pros do bring in same gender help for their celebs. Sometimes that is the only way to get a point across and these pros are aware of that. I can't even think of one example off the top of my head but I know it has been done.

The suggestion to have a same sex to the celebrity pro assigned to the team is awesome. Said pro could be an assistant to several teams if there aren't enough pros to go around.
luvthepros
luvthepros

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Karina did this once ( that they showed on camera ) when she was partnered with Ralph Macchio.

The dance was the quickstep I believe ... I'd have to go check the video,I don't remember who the fellow was but he was helping Ralph to perfect the feel of the dance.
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:58 am

I have also thought about having some of the pros as tutors to add more nuances to the performance. The Chmerkovskiy bros have done that several times, e.g. Cheryl has asked Val to help Jack Osborne with the Paso, and Sharna brought in Maks to work on Charlie White's attitude in the Tango. Both brothers worked with Zendaya in her AT, and she also had Anna to teach her "how to be a woman". I think all the pros help each other; maybe even more off camera.
That's what I liked best about the side by side challenge:
the idea of having additional pros to help the celebrities. I really wonder why they didn't keep that instead of the trio round, where the gender of the additiobal pro is more or less random.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:05 am

They actually do this a lot.....Maksim had some females from the troupe help Hope.         I don't think Derek or Mark(Mark doesn't need to he has the womans part down really well..LoL!!) have had a female help that I can remember....I personally think it should be left up to the pro and it not be forced upon to have another pro............If the pro asks then it probably is more comfortable than telling them you have to. JMO    of course that might be more drama, but  sometimes that overpowers the dancing and it becomes more about that.  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:19 pm

No one wants to force anything onto anyone, sis. They should just be available in case their help is needed. And yes, Derek has done it as well. I remember he brought in a girl from the troupe when his partner had trouble. I'll do some research who it was.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:32 pm

The first post I read about this subject suggested having an opposite sex pro assigned to them for the season.    IMO being able to ask different pros and troupe members instead of having the same one every week like they do now seems to be working. No big deal.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:22 pm

It seems we're getting somewhere now, doesn't it? All that the couples need to know is someone will be available to assist if necessary; regardless of the gender.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by luvthepros Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Can you imagine if one of the male pros asked Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye to help their celebrity be more feminine. LOL.......

luvthepros
luvthepros

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:28 pm

Might as well ask Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis!
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by luvthepros Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:30 pm

Very true. LOVE those old movies.
luvthepros
luvthepros

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:36 pm

kincaid53 wrote:The first post I read about this subject suggested having an opposite sex pro assigned to them for the season.    IMO being able to ask different pros and troupe members instead of having the same one every week like they do now seems to be working. No big deal.

I was thinking that assigning an extra pro would give that extra pro from the troupe 1) more money (because of the extra responsibility) and 2) more of a chance to be seen on camera in the packages, thus building up their own fan base.  But you are right, of course.  It doesn't make any difference if someone is assigned or not;  it is the availability of the extra help that is important.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 pm

That is true.....I'm all for them getting more money and air time for the troupe and pros that their celeb has gone home, however they do it.  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoDiva92 Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:07 pm

It seems that there won't be an elimination this week so I'm guessing that there might be a double elimination the following week?

Also, having Maks as a guest judge should be interesting.
DiscoDiva92
DiscoDiva92

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:23 pm

There has never been an elimination on switchup week- which totally makes sense because it's not the original couples performing, so they should have immunity. The pressure is all on the pros not to spoil the chances of their colleagues' original partners.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by luvthepros Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:51 am

Random thoughts about Switch Up week.....

My oh my Maks looked like sex on a stick in that plaid suit. Loved his hair. He looks younger, refreshed and happy. This coming from a non Maks fan.

Mark's entrance as the milk man had me smiling from ear to ear. Loved his character and only Mark could pull off that strut......so full of personality, Mark really outdid himself. His use of the troupe was spot on to set up the story. Then along came Paula.......just no. Paula needs to go. Sorry, Paula fans if there are any on this forum. Her slow motion movement is not fun to watch. Kudos to Mark for dancing down to Paula's level. It was so down, in fact, Mark was practically standing still. LOL. And......if Paula picked up her dress one more time, I was gonna slap her!

Alexa is a wonderful dancer and I've been saying that all along. That Tango was great but I did not love the concept or the costuming nor Derek's use of the troupe. That would have been all sorts of awesomeness if Alexa was costumed in a sexy red dress and Derek was in a black suit. You get the picture. And......no troupe members for that dance. They were a distraction. Glad she received such high scores.

OMG, OMG, OMG.....LOVED Carlos and Lindsey's Quickstep. Carlos really showed everyone what he is made of. That dance was fun and I loved Lindsey's choreography and Carlos pulled it off. Loved Lindsey's dress. Ray Chew's band did an awesome job with Presley's "Bossa Nova Baby". Someone on another forum was questioning if Alfonso was the singer for them and was that what Alfonso meant when he said he said he was going to be with Ray Chew's band this week??? I would imagine if Alfonso was the lead singer, Tom would have mentioned it.

Finally, Hayes was wearing ballroom shoes. He looked very dapper but I didn't really care for his V. Waltz. I put that on Allison, though. The choreography didn't have enough V. Waltz, IMHO and Hayes didn't do very well with the posture and gliding.

Tamar looked awkward. I think Louis was too aggressive with his choreography for her. Louis, Karina is a Dancesport Champion. Why would you think Tamar could pull of that choreography? (Must admit, however, Sabrina was able to master Louis' choreography when they were teamed.)That Samba roll in the beginning set the tone of the dance and it wasn't good for me. Sad because Tamar is a really good dancer. I didn't like the out of hold sections as I felt they were more Beyonce rather than Samba. Sigh, I was expecting great things from these two but it just didn't happen for me.

Nick performed a rock concert......again. I was not happy with Witney's choreography and she didn't work enough on Nick's Spanish lines and shapes. Just not enough Paso feel to that dance, IMHO. Sorry to Nick fans.

Bindi's costumes all seem to have the same look covering her bosom. Can't they do something different for her? I liked her Cha Cha but as a young performer, I liked Zendaya's Cha Cha performance much more.

Andy had a great week. OMG...."farts and balls" had me on the floor!!! I love Andy's personality. He got a raw deal with Allison as his partner and teacher. He did so much better with Sharna.

Alek looks like he is really into Emma. He admitted on live TV that he preferred working with Emma. See what sexual tension can do to a guy??? The Rumba was quite good for someone who is not a dancer. It's not easy being sexy on live TV when you've never been in front of a camera before so I give Alek kudos for that.

Condolences to Tom and his family. I was in disbelief when I read the memorial at the end of the show with with the date of Ray Bergeron's death. Tom is the consummate professional for carrying on with the show and he did a wonderful job as usual.
luvthepros
luvthepros

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:04 am

Very good summary of SwitchUp week, luv.  I pretty well agree with all your points. I have a probably futile hope that SU Week never returns because I find it pointless and in many cases detrimental to the celebs development.  Hayes, Tamar, Nick were set back to my eye. 

Allison did quite well with Riker last season but Riker was older than Hayes, had dance training and was able to cope with Allison's hyper active choreography. Hayes has been brought along in a lower key, smoother style by Emma and he seemed flummoxed often.  I love this kid and SU did him no favours.

Tamar just came to the place where she was comfortable with Val taking the lead in their partnership. She trusts him and their dances were starting to become superb and bang, last night we're back to tentative week one with Tamar.

Witney did Nick no favours with that choreography. Nick and Sharna just mesh and thank heavens they are reunited next week.

Regardless of the tens for Alexa and the usual Bindi love, the dance of the night for this viewer was Carlos and Lindsay. Week one I saw that potential in Carlos and last night there it was. Great!
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:25 am

Some thoughts on your random thoughts...lol!!!
I was wanting the same for Alexa and Derek as you. Given the song they had it did work for me. Alexa was so focused just like she was during the breaking bad number. Great job!!
  Tamar and Louis....I was wanting to see more of a party Samba.......this may have been a song issue....it seemed a little disconnected...and Tamar was like am I supposed to be serious because of the military theme, ok now I'm suppose to smile because its suppose to be fun....anyway I thought she did good for what she was given.
  Mark.. ROFL love this guy! 
I've commented about this also on Bindis costumes. It's either that look or a halter top..which in my opinion is a little old fashion.  It's not about covering her up, it's more about a different look. I just find it strange costume choices for a 17 year old. I loved the pony tail and the dance.
Andy saying Sharna told him to 'smell the fart'. I remember back on the show Friends, when Joey was playing Dr Drake Ramorae....an actress taught him if you can't remember your lines stop and smell the farts.... LOL
 On all access if you watch the judges table when the couples are dancing close to them you see them really up close and Sharna (as many other pros do) was telling him what to do every step they took, of course that works best when you are in hold as much as they were.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:33 am

Lesallee wrote:Very good summary of SwitchUp week, luv.  I pretty well agree with all your points. I have a probably futile hope that SU Week never returns because I find it pointless and in many cases detrimental to the celebs development.  Hayes, Tamar, Nick were set back to my eye. 

Allison did quite well with Riker last season but Riker was older than Hayes, had dance training and was able to cope with Allison's hyper active choreography. Hayes has been brought along in a lower key, smoother style by Emma and he seemed flummoxed often.  I love this kid and SU did him no favours.

Tamar just came to the place where she was comfortable with Val taking the lead in their partnership. She trusts him and their dances were starting to become superb and bang, last night we're back to tentative week one with Tamar.

Witney did Nick no favours with that choreography. Nick and Sharna just mesh and thank heavens they are reunited next week.

Regardless of the tens for Alexa and the usual Bindi love, the dance of the night for this viewer was Carlos and Lindsay. Week one I saw that potential in Carlos and last night there it was. Great!

I agree with you sis on who was set back....I think Nick and Tamar took it hard. I never saw Tamar in the red room, or the skybox after her dance on all access.....Alexa I thought would do well, but Carlos!!! I had so much joy watching that dance. I've always liked him too, and I have always thought the judges have been a little tough on him

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:53 am

I'm not a Paula fan and I know she won't win but I think she is a pretty good dancer considering.  Carlos was fantastic.  It wasn't Tamar's best dance but she has great legs.  I think Zendaya is in a different league of dancing than Bindi.  Some of the people definitely did better with new partners.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:41 pm

When you are the "favourite" of TPTB you have to get a beat down sometime in the competition because it can't "look" like they just give you the MBT.

All the popular teams know that Paula goes next ( I mean unless they are not as smart as we are ) so this week was really a wash for the rest of the pack.

TPTB have this switch to try to add some drama and to get the audience fired up because of how "unfair" it is to judge the teams when they are new partners and are interrupted in the process  .... ya-da ya-da

I could tell from the first week how this was going to go and it is right on schedule ... I am enjoying it so far but am getting a lot tired of the husband/wife thing ... Rolling Eyes
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Oakma wrote:

I am enjoying it so far but am getting a lot tired of the husband/wife thing ... Rolling Eyes

I don't think you are alone in that.  Carlos is not doing himself any favors with the female audience by talking about how much he is enjoying his female partners and then turning around and complaining that men are handling his wife.  I hope it is said in humor, but I don't think it is coming across that way.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:08 pm

I took it as humorous.  You can tell they really root for each other and care how the other is faring.

Last edited by Glittersisgld on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top