SYTYCD 2014

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SYTYCD 2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: SYTYCD 2014

Post by singlyme Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:12 am

I find Facebook too invasive and dropped my account a few years ago.  I wouldn't do Twitter on a dare.  So... I guess they've lost my votes.

I would have given Ricky all my votes.  It was funny when Nigel called him Harry Potter.  I swear, the very same thought was running in my head.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:35 am

I think we can also vote on fox.com.  Didn't try as I was really busy and not online for days but there has to be another way besides FB and twitter.  Check out fox.com  Wonder why they dropped th eohone in option??? And yes ITA about that dance with Ricky and Jessica.  I watched some of it in slow motion to get thr true effect. I couldn't even fiugre out how he got into and out of some of those moves, especially the one where he was hanging onto her waist and was parallel with the floor.  Amazing!!!!
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:46 am

I don't know how "involved" Fox thinks I am - but when I'm sitting down for evening, I'm not going to go back to my computer and pull up their site to vote.  I guess a "techno-tard" like me is out of the game.  I'll just watch and hope the tweeters have good sense.  lol

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:22 am

singlyme wrote:I don't know how "involved" Fox thinks I am - but when I'm sitting down for evening, I'm not going to go back to my computer and pull up their site to vote.  I guess a "techno-tard" like me is out of the game.  I'll just watch and hope the tweeters have good sense.  lol

Hi singly. ITA with that.  Not going from relaxing with tv mode to running back to computer to vote.  Some of these tv sites also require a whole sign up process--I guess so theycan send you more emails and maybe even sell yur email address to advertisers.   Guess we both won't be voting.
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:59 pm

victorian3 wrote:
singlyme wrote:I don't know how "involved" Fox thinks I am - but when I'm sitting down for evening, I'm not going to go back to my computer and pull up their site to vote.  I guess a "techno-tard" like me is out of the game.  I'll just watch and hope the tweeters have good sense.  lol

Hi singly. ITA with that.  Not going from relaxing with tv mode to running back to computer to vote.  Some of these tv sites also require a whole sign up process--I guess so theycan send you more emails and maybe even sell yur email address to advertisers.   Guess we both won't be voting.
There are times that you can only vote by face book or twitter and that was the only reason I joined face book so I could vote on something and I don't remember what it was now.  I have not joined twitter yet and therefore have not been able to vote on the switch they did on DWTS and also some other things.  
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 pm

DetailsCategory: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCEPublished on Wednesday, 09 July 2014 23:46
SYTYCD 2014 - Page 2 Sytycd_dec11_leadSO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE
RECAP FOR JULY 10, 2014

Hello TVG Readers and welcome to tonight’s recap of the Top 20, 2 Eliminated Episode of SYTYCD on FOX. Last Week the 20 contestants were given the opportunity to showcase their style to the best of their abilities and this week they have been partnered up and challenged with an unusual style for most of them. At the end of the night 2 will be going home. Also and most importantly for me here at TVGrapevine, the winner of my TVG GUEST RECAPPER CONTEST, is here with me tonight going through all of the twists and turns! 

Joining Me tonight with the SYTYCD Recap is our winner of the Guest Recapper Contest Elisa Cheng. In order to gain the chance of recapping with me tonight the winner had to correctly email me the answers to 6 trivia questions in which the answers were. Mia Michaels, Lauren Sanchez, The Bed, The Door, Dragon House, and Lady Gaga.  

Elisa- I've been an avid watcher of SYTYCD since the very first episode of Season 1, when a less-than-impressive (and heavily Botoxed) Lauren Sanchez was the original host, and the main judges were Nigel, Mary, Mia Michaels, Brian Freedman & Dan Karate.  Since then, I haven't missed watching a single show, and have tried to catch the live tour whenever it's come through Boston.  I love everything about the show -- the pure talent and energy, the evident caring that just radiates from Cat (an infinitely better and absolutely charming host!), the judges and dancers, the inspired choreography, the fabulous costumes and set designs, really, everything.  My favorite SYTYCD dancers who *haven't* won their seasons include Allison, tWitch, Katie, Kayla, Alex Wong, Kathryn, Jasmine, and Aaron.  My favorite choreographers include Mia Michaels, Stacey Tookey, Travis Wall, and Spencer Liff.

While a huge dance fan, I wouldn't call myself a dancer and can't pretend to have anything approaching even a sliver of the dance talent of these truly amazing contestants -- as a little kid growing up in Palo Alto, CA, I took all of 3 years of modern dance with a great teacher named Grace Butler and only ever progressed to the role of Gingerbread Kid in the annual "Night Before Christmas" special.  Other than that, I've always loved the chance to learn a new dance style (hip hop, gumboot, salsa, swing, you name it) but have no pretension that I'm any good!

Thanks for the fantastic opportunity, Tim!  

Here we go!-The opening routine for the top 20 is a broadway Jazz piece to New York New York from a 2014 Broadway Show. (This is not the Frank Sinatra version) This piece was choreographed by Josh Burgasse, the emmy winning choreographer, and very well performed with an additional aspect showcasing and advertising the all-star game on FOX next week. 

Elisa-Some solo work by Emilio doing some cute tricks and flips with a baseball bat, Teddy dressed as a businessman with a briefcase, and Zach doing a little tap.  I found my eyes drawn to Ricky and Stanley (again, with astounding height and quickness in one of his leaps)

Cat welcomes the top 20 dancers and then the judges dressed in baseball uniforms - Ballroom Choreographer Hot Tamale Train Conductor and experienced SYTYCD Judge MARY MURPHY, Head Judge who is celebrating his birthday tonight Mr. NIGEL LYTHGOE evening sir. And the guest judge this week is Prima Ballerina and Guest Judge during the Philadelphia auditions of the season MISTY COPELAND.  Nigel shows the clip of Cat Deeley throwing out her first pitch at Dodger stadium last week and boy no good.

Cat Reveals the 6 people in danger- Brooklyn, Malene, Jourdan,Casey, Nick and Serge.

Me- Not too unexpected there probably the 6 people that should be there. I think America did a solid job filling those spots.

1.  Tanisha and Rudy
Dance- Jazz
Choreographer- Sonya Tayeh
Story/Theme- This is a Cat and Mouse based routine, but the darker side, not playful in any means.  
Song- “You Need”-Bengsons

Nigel- Very Very strong and Sonya brings out the best in her dancers, Tanisha it was very clever from you Rudy was stronger than he thought,
Mary- Wow, that was a very strong performance, it was stylistically incredible. She warns Rudy about his shoulders.
Misty- Tanisha you are really fierce girl, it was fluid tonight.
Me- I love the partnership and these are two of my favorites, I loved it and it is a great start to the night.
Elisa-Weird, very stylized music and dance moves, with lots of strong sharp poses with slinky movement in between.  I can’t say the dance really captivated me, but Tanisha took on the fierce style surprisingly well, and Rudy did a good job of suppressing his inner goofball during the dance

2.  Valerie and Ricky
Dance- Contemporary
Choreographer- Travis Wall
Story/Theme- This piece is about the one who got away and is a mess without the guy.
Song- “Oh Darling”-Gossling

Nigel- Your chemistry has been wonderful for the last couple weeks, a little more emotion from both would have been nice.
Misty- Sometimes you forget a little bit about your hands but it was very beautiful.
Me- This piece was flawless as almost all of Travis Wall’s work is. Very impressed with the routine, and these dancers have moved up to the top of my leaderboard for the season no questions asked.
Elisa-I was worried for Valerie and how she'd hold up paired with the phenomenal and early favorite Ricky. Ricky showed off amazing control, flexibility and musicality -- I really think he's going to run away with this whole competition between his jawdropping talent and adorable personality. I thought Valerie did a really commendable job, but I found myself thinking of how past favorites like Melanie or Amy might have been more explosive or heartbreaking at certain points.  I love Valerie as a person, so I'm definitely rooting for her to come up to Ricky's level!

3.  Bridget and Emilio
Dance- Hip-Hop
Choreographer- Luther Brown
Story/Theme- The story is they are former friends and the nerd girl transformed into a hottie.
Song- “Work”-Iggy Azalea

Nigel- Emilio im not sure what you are wearing but it was very well done, the outfit makes you look like a dancing hobbit. He says he thought Bridget would be bad but she was great,
Mary- Great to Have Luther Brown in the house, Bridget went in and out, could have been down a bit more,
Me- I like getting down and the way it was danced they were terrific, I liked the leather outfits too.
Elisa- Ok, I wasn't sure that sweet little Bridget would be able to pull off the attitude needed for a hip hop number, and from the practice video clip, apparently Luther Brown was worried about how out of her element she was too.  She came out with a great, sexy JLo strut, though, and had terrific chemistry with Emilio.  Thought she could've hit some of the moves harder and had a grittier, more aggressive feel, rather then a few moments where she seemed more cheerleader-sexy, but she was surprisingly good for what I was expecting.  Emilio as expected did great in his own style.

4.  Jessica and Nick
Dance- West Coast Swing
Choreographer- Benji Schwimmer
Story/Theme- There is no theme but to have fun with the dance, but Jessica got hurt during the practice.  
Song- “Respect”-Aretha Franklin

Nigel- He was asking a lot from a couple people who didn’t know how to West Coast Swing. Nick just looked very uncomfortable.
Mary- He certainly didn't take it easy on you guys with this piece.
Misty- I found it very entertaining as someone just from the audience perspective. It was beautiful. There were a couple moves with no purpose.
Me- This is a style that isn’t well used on the show, and it must be because no one is as good at it as the Schwimmers so I see it. Nick’s legs needed to be faster and Jessica injured was definitely no good.
Elisa-Was definitely worried how Jessica was going to perform with a shoulder injury.  There was something about the routine that just didn't seem as explosive and sharp with the music as I would've liked ,  it felt a little clunky/uncomfortable at times to me.  I think they may end up in danger next week, but imagine Jessica has enough of a fan base to keep her safe -- Nick, not quite as sure...

5. Carly and Serge  
Dance- Contemporary
Choreographer- Sonya Tayeh
Story/Theme- An unbreakable love which they have probably never visited before in their lives.
Song- “Latch”-Sam Smith.

Nigel- It is amazing how you can touch people with a dance routine. She has brought out the best with her dancers tonight. I felt the emotion greatly. Serge that is the best u have ever done.
Mary- It was so fluid and made me tear up at the incredibleness of the piece.
Misty- This was not about whether you practice this style but I felt the piece and emotion and energy directly from you. It was great.
Me- I loved Sonya’s choreography and it was very beautiful, best routine of the night so far.
Elisa-Carly impressed me last week with her fluid movement and musicality, and this routine left me even more impressed -- such beautiful lines, and a real emotional vulnerability.  I thought Serge was a better partner for her than Rudy had been the previous week, maybe because Serge comes across as more mature and emotionally connected.  He danced with power, presence, and yes, an unexpected tenderness.

6.  Emily and Teddy
Dance- Hip-Hop
Choreographer- Dave Scott
Story/Theme- Flirtatious, You can’t have it but you can look.
Song- “Don’t”-Ed Sheeran

Nigel- Dave Scott gave you a routine your body has never moved before, Emily you needed to perform more with your partner. They did a wonderful job.  
Mary- It was really cute and I enjoyed it, you went full tilt on it, the ticking at the end was really weird for me.
Misty- Emily you will get more comfortable when you work more in this genre. Teddy knocked it out of the park
Me- I loved the quirkiness of the choreography, and agree with the judges in the fact that Teddy was better than Emily but it was not bad.
Elisa-Didn't feel the chemistry here,  I thought Teddy had the style down really well -- slinky, feline, and self-assured.  Emily didn't seem to inhabit it as comfortably or authentically, which is too bad because I really liked her in the previous week.

Cat Deeley takes a minute to give the National Dance Day Details along with the Dizzy Feet Gala promotion. 

7.  Malene and Stanley
Dance- Broadway
Choreographer- Spencer Liff
Story/Theme- Inspired by Old Variety Shows of the 60’s using Telephones as props.
Song- “I’ve Got Your Number”-Nancy Wilson

Nigel- He says that he thinks they both got the wrong number, the concept was a good idea but it was used to long, the routine pushed them into that style too long. The lines were crossed, and it was very disappointing, and they are much more capable than that.
Mary- She loved the props of the phones, to an extent. She says they were with the phones a little too much.
Misty- Malene you are so sexy. Stanley needs to focus on the entire picture and not just himself on the routine. She says that she didn’t feel the connection.
Me- The judges really ripped them, I liked the props and thought it was ok. No it was not the best of the night but it was a bit harsh.
Elisa- For starters, they both had the look down perfectly  -- Malene in particular looked like a vampy Sophia Loren sex kitten.  Stanley had the sharp "cool cat" movement down.  But I agree that it was maybe too contained & I wanted to see the dance really take off at some point.

8. Jourdan and Marcquet
Dance- Jazz
Choreographer- Sean Cheesman
Story/Theme- Sexy Interrogation Piece between the interrogator and the suspect
Song- “Work Work”-Brittany Spears

Nigel- Jourdan needs to watch her face emotions a bit and make sure she doesn’t lose the plot. Marcquet did a great job.
Mary- It was aggressive from the beginning and you there the entire time as a partner. She looked like she was having a great time doing the routine.
Misty- Marcquet got a little bit too much into the role. Jourdan was very much fun to watch.
Me- I like Marcquet he is one of my favorites this season. I liked the intricies of the choreography and I felt it was very well done.
Elisa-Marquet continues to be a really dynamic force on the dance floor -- he's becoming one of my favorites.  In contrast, Jordan is *not* one of my personal favorites (and she did have a couple wobbles even in her own style last week, which is maybe why she ended up in the bottom 3), but I thought she attacked the routine really well.  Never would've guessed she was a ballerina from that routine

9.  Brooklyn and Casey
Dance- Argentine Tango
Choreographer- Leonardo and Miriam
Story/Theme- This is a very toxic relationship with a sexy relationship and the room will be very steamy.
Song- “Gallo Ciego”

Nigel- It was absolutely tremendous, everything they were asked to do was done greatly. I hope the public realized how hard that was.
Mary- Tonight Brooklyn you really blossomed into a woman and matured incredibly. It was unbelievable. Casey that was so unexpected from you.
Misty- You look like a latino Ken doll, the connection was incredibly sexy.
Me- I am very enthused whenever we get to see these choreographers work on the show and this was another stunning piece by them very very impressed.
Elisa-I have to admit that so far, Casey has come across to me as a bit vapid/immature in the glimpses we've had of him, and Brooklyn hasn't impressed as much in that area either.  This Argentine tango brought out a much more mature, intense performance out of both of them, though.  I thought Brooklyn redeemed herself more from last week's performance

They show a piece presented by Degree about how hard the rehearsals actually are.

10.  Jacque and Zack
Dance- African Jazz
Choreographer- Sean Cheesman
Story/Theme-African Warriors, not supposed to be pretty and they came right out of a painting.  
Song- “Dibiza”-Danny Tengalia

Nigel- I totally agree, it was one of my favorite routines of the night, and I love what other stuff Ballerina’s can do.
Mary-STANDING OVATION- That was really fun and a great vision from Sean with that. Jacque is the most elegant ballet dancer out there and she was animalistic. WooHoo They need some transportation.
Misty- Jacque that was amazing and you made the right choices with your body, you got down. It was the right amount of everything from you Zach.
Me- This was my favorite piece of the night because the energy was great, and both members of the partnership really showed us their strong suit.
Elisa-They usually choose a high-energy showstopper for the last couples routine of the night, and this was no exception.  Again, really fun to see one of the ballerinas doing something so un-ballerina-like and "ugly"(and how random for Sean Cheesman to draw both ballerinas?), great energy and animalistic fire.   From the praise Zach was getting in callback week during ballroom and other rounds, I think he's proving to be a really versatile dancer and could be around for a long time.

The First Dance Crew from the auditions is about to perform live on the show while the judges decide who is the correct people to send home.

The first Crew is the Syncopated Ladies, which are a bunch of tapper ladies, who did a great job and their tapping was done to the best possible level. 

Nigel says that the ladies need to take great pride at being in the top 20. Brooklyn has been told her maturity was great tonight. Nigel says that Jourdan’s mistakes were overlooked last week, she is told she was great tonight, and needs to keep growing. Malene is told that she has been sent home after a disappointing piece.  

The guys are up this time and he says it is a difficult task to send them home. He says once they get into the Top 10 the judges stop decisions. Casey is told he is safe and his routines last week and this week were very good. Nick is told that he was tremendous last week but looks a bit uncomfortable. Nigel sends Nick home. This leaves us with 18 remaining, and we get a recap of the dances.

Elisa-I guess it makes sense that Malene, was eliminated based on tonight's dances, as she was the one who got the most negative reviews of all three and really seemed to have the least versatility. I would've expected Serge to go home based on last week, but he had such a passionate performance this week, I think that saved him.  It probably made sense for Nick to go home this week based on his performance being a bit weaker on West Coast Swing, and being up against fellow ballroom guys Marquet and Serge.  Nigel was surprised that Casey made it into the bottom 3, but I wonder if others have also been rubbed the wrong way by his personality?

FINAL THOUGHTS OF GUEST RECAPPER-

GUYS:
Ricky is still the clear frontrunner for me. Zach & Serge surprised with how well they did out of their styles & with some really strong partnering work in Afro-Jazz and Contemporary.  I thought Emilio & Teddy both did really well in their own styles (I think they lucked out with their assignments), though their partners fared less well & they might get docked in some viewers' minds for that.  I think Rudy & Stanley may be in trouble for less memorable/successful routines, and Casey might too..

GIRLS:
Carly was the best of the night for me.  Jordan & Jacquie showed some impressive versatility, with Brooklyn also redeeming herself in the Argentine tango and Tanisha taking on Sonya's intense style rather well.  Emily, Jessica and Bridget may be in trouble.

Thanks to all the readers, I want to thank my special Guest Recapper Elisa Cheng for doing an incredible job, and it was proven through the contest I got one of the best people possible. She was great in every aspect of the word. Thanks again and be sure to return with me next week for the TOP 18 show of SYTYCD on FOX.

http://tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-12-08-02-24/so-you-think-you-can-dance/7709-so-you-think-you-can-dance-recap-for-july-10-2014
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:58 am

As long as Ricky stays, I'll be a happy camper.  lol

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:26 pm

I don't think you have anything to worry about there singlyme - he is a fantastic dancer and the judges think so too.  He's got some of my votes both weeks now and I don't see that changing unless he falters and some others are so much better.  I'm having a much harder time voting for the guys than the gals because the guys are so good and this week I did vote for more guys than gals. 
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 am

Category: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCEPublished on Wednesday, 16 July 2014 22:53
RECAP FOR JULY 16, 2014

Hello and welcome to tonight’s recap of SYTYCD on FOX. Tonight the top 18 take the stage with the intention of advancing to the top 16. Last week we lost Nick Garcia and Malene Ostergard to the sad fate of elimination. There have not been a lot of rumblings this week as to who the guest judge will be sitting beside Mary and Nigel so I am excited to find out hope everyone is ready to go because I am. Lets Go! SYTYCD Top 18!

The first piece is performed to the song How’s It Done and they are on a big chess board. It is very neat, and dark in the process. Cat introduces the top 18 dancers and they all come out and do their solo routines. This routine was choreographed by members from the academy of villians crew Farside and Phoenix.

Cat first introduces the judges for the night. Joining Nigel and Mary tonight is prima ballerina Misty Copeland, from last week. Nigel is sitting in the middle tonight, which is a little different but then again shaking it up is usually good. Nigel runs down the list congratulating the people from the show for their emmy’s all the choreographers, the show, Cat and the makeup department.

The Bottom 6 Have Been Revealed- The Dancers in Danger are--

1.) Bridget

2.) Emilio

3.) Emily

4.) Stanley

5.) Jourdan

6.) Teddy

The remaining dancers in the back row are safe this should act as a motivation for these dancers to dance harder tonight in their routines.

1.)

Couple- Zack and Jacque

Dance- Lyrcial Hip Hop

Choreographer- Keoni and Mari Madrid

Theme- This is a basic routine

Song-”Stay With Me”-Sam Smith

Cat- It reminded me of the Mark and Chelsie routine.

Nigel- Great to have Keoni and Mari this season, they did very well with the interest in the hands this week, I loved when it was looser, from African Jazz to Hip Hop it has been great for you guys.

Mary-What a great way to get things started tonight, I loved you guys in the group routine last week, it was so loving and tender this week, very entertaining and the build up was great. I loved every second of it.

Misty- You guys have grown more in your partnership, you guys are not just your own style but you are also dancers.

Me- I really think that the lyrical hip-hop is entertaining, and this piece’s movements are very intricate. 10 out of 10 in SYTYCD Scoring on that routine.

2.)

Couple- Marcquet and Jourdan

Dance- Contemporary

Choreographer- Dee Caspary

Theme- This is about a couple trying to find a place where they can really be happy together. Jourdan says that Marquet gets awkward getting really close to her sometimes.

Song- “Dissapear”- Mikky Ekko

Nigel- I thought it was a good routine but I am not really connecting with either of you in this competition. There is a slight lack of discipline in your dancing Marcquet. The balance is a tad off.

Mary-  Your first stance was very good but it went a little downhill, I am missing some of the magic in the routine.

Misty- I saw more from Marcquet and Less from Jourdan this week, you have to work on where the weight is going with your feet. Jourdan you have the whole package but the face killed it tonight, and it was a bit dull.

Me- This routine wasn’t as strong for me. Not to be difficult but I have never strongly connected with Dee Caspary, I need to see more from him as a choreographer.

3.)

Couple- Jessica and Stanley

Dance- Jazz

Choreographer- Tyce Diorio

Theme- They are on a wild magic funky carpet ride. They have to create the reality that they are flying and they hope it looks static on the rug.

Song- “Funkier than a Mosquito’s Tweeter”-Nikki Costa

Nigel- Great to have Tyce. I have the same notes this week as last with you guys.

Mary- It was absolute brilliance, it is clear you can catch air, but that leap was enormous, That carpet is not soft, and there was no fear which was great. Jessica you have the outer and the inner beauty, your foundation can be worked on a little bit.

Misty- You can move really well, and you two together overdid the facial expressions just a little bit, Stanley’s most extended positions are frickin amazing.

Me- This music seems like it should be coming from a Bollywood Piece, but I like the concept immensely was it great, no but it was exceptable for the time in the competition.

4.)

Couple- Bridget and Emilio

Dance- Jive

Choreographer- Anya and Pasha

Theme- The choreography is very difficult but they need to make it seem that it is very light at the same time. Both people have been whacked during the routine.

Song- “Happy”-Pharell Williams

Nigel- Emilio has never had to do stuff like this. Fik Shun never pointed his toes once last year and won the competition. I loved your look and am heartbroken that you guys are in the bottom.

Mary-You two were doing a really great jive up there. It is great to see SYTYCD people returning to the show, Anya holds a special meaning because she originated the Hot Tamale Train. Bridget really latched onto the technique. Emilio really connected with the energy.

Misty- You guys were great performers and didn’t overdo it. It was light, precise and very well done. I also don't see why you were in the bottom.

Me- This jive made me freakin happy, I loved it and was thoroughly entertained. This leads the night as the best routine so far.

5.)

Couple- Emily and Teddy

Dance- Contemporary

Choreographer- Tyce Diorio

Theme- This piece is poetic and shows a deep look into someone’s eyes and really asks people not to leave the other, they need to connect mind body and soul with this routine.

Song- “Ne Me Quite Pas”- Nina Symone

Nigel- It is very neat how Tyce used some ugly lifts which showed the ugliness of love to finally get the brilliance. Both of your lines were very well done.

Mary-  Emily any choreographer who pulls you will be very excited when they pull Emily. I was absolutely mesmerized by you this time Teddy.

Misty - Emily you don't speak French but your body does, you were very stunning tonight, and I want you to dance like your barefoot everytime. Teddy I love your style and how you translate into every style is great.

Me- The emotions from this piece are very strong and I really saw the pros in this piece leak through as brilliant.

6.)

Couple- Brooklyn and Casey

Dance- Jazz

Choreographer- Bonnie Story

Theme- This piece is about a high school prom which is more upbeat and well pitched. Bonnie says that they need to stay in character the entire way.

Song- “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”-Michael Buble

Nigel- That routine really challenged Brooklyn and that isn’t her main style, Casey was masterful tonight.

Mary-I felt like it was a really fun number for the night, there were a couple awkward moments but it turned out very strong. Casey I thought you were brilliant, and you were on fire.

Misty-Brooklyn you had more energy than last time but you had some technique faces in the routine which can be easily worked on. Casey you were so fabulous.

Me-I very much liked the song, and it was a fun upbeat routine to the night which hasn’t had a ton of that except the jive piece.

Cat reminds everyone about the Dizzy Feet Gala this weekend and how quickly national dance day is approaching on the 26th. They show some of the videos that will be showcased for National Day.

7.)

Couple- Valerie and Ricky

Dance- Viennese Waltz

Choreographer- Lacey Schwimmer

Theme- They are going for pretty basic and fluid, but they were having serious difficulties keeping their bodies together so Lacey taped them together.

Song- “I Won’t Give Up”-Jason Mraz

Nigel-The performance was beyond the top level, Ricky you are superb and a level above the general dancers. Valerie you look like Cinderella tonight.

Mary-Wow It was really good and we are very excited to get Lacey back after season 3. The entire beginning was magical and Ricky your top line was magical. Valerie it was so beautifully done, watch your core a tad bit.

Misty-Valerie you are a princess, and everything Nigel said was correct technically.

Me-In a way I slightly disagree because I think Ricky was better than Valerie but they were both good and people who read by stuff know I love the ballroom routines and that was very good.

8.)

Couple- Carly and Serge

Dance- Hip-Hop

Choreographer- Luther Brown

Theme- They are Skeleton People which are very hard hitting. This is one of the more unique routines of the night.

Song- “Senile”-Young Money

Nigel-This is a tough one for me, I know how hard you worked. I don’t think this will drive people to vote for you because it wasn’t quite as hard. I don't think people connect to this but they don't realize how much work goes into it.

Mary- I loved it to, Carly you were a beast in this. I liked the story and Luther’s choreography was very nicely done.

Misty- I somewhat disagree and think it is important to show people switching genres and Serge you really lived in the moment and Carly you really showed your skeleton with this routine.

Me- I kind of agree with Nigel, I don't know how well this routine is going to garner votes but with this show you never do quite know. I like Luther but this one didn't hit for me.

9.)

Couple- Rudy and Tanisha

Dance- Broadway

Choreographer- Warren Carlisle

Theme- This is one of the most classic of any broadway pieces this season with canes as props.

Song- “Sing Sing Sing”-Fosse

Nigel-3 JUDGE STANDING OVATION 30 years ago I got to teach Warren Carlisle, Rudy you have this inner light in yourself that lights up the room and you are so lovable.

Mary- I was dancing in my seat, dance of the night WOOHOO.

Misty- Rudy this was you in a dance, I think you were so fabulous, Tanisha you need to work on where you press the pressure on your feet.

Me- This was very fun tonight to watch, and this was a highlight, Rudy has great energy and Tanisha is very talented to be a ballroom dancer, doing this style.

The Performer tonight is a Great Big World, who tweeted tonight that a year ago the dance with Amy Yakima and Robert Roldan changed their life.

IT IS TIME FOR THE RESULTS- Nigel has them all up together, he says that this is not to see how far you are away from the prize but how far you have come. Nigel says that they take look into America’s Vote. The Judges say that they are going with America’s vote this week. The couple going home is Stanley and Jourdan because they were the lowest of them all in America.

We get a recap of all the dances from the night, be sure to join we next week on the Top 16 episode of SYTYCD in which we cut down to 14. Thanks all readers. 

http://tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-12-08-02-24/so-you-think-you-can-dance/8073-so-you-think-you-can-dance-recap-for-july-16-2014
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am

Wow.  Talk about a recap - a condensed version of the show - without video.  lol

I don't know if I'm simply getting bored with shows I've watched for so many years, or if something's off.  I'm not impressed with the choreography or the dancing so far this season. 

I know it's early but Ricky and sweet-faced Valerie (the tapper) are the only stand-outs.  The others, you could mix and match faces to bodies.  Teddy has a David Bowie resemblance which makes me remember him.  And for a hip-hopper, he did quite well with his performance.  Come to think of it, there's more distinction in the guys' faces than the girls.  I don't know one female from the other yet.

Nothing stood out this week as a memorable number.  And they took away my phone votes.  *sigh*  Ah, well.  There's still Ricky.   Very Happy

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Singly I have to agree with you on choreography so far this year.  I feel sorry for Serge and Carly because I thought that number was terrible and it wasn't because of the dancers but because of the choreography but the dancers will probably end up in the bottom three now.

I also agree on the there's more distinction in the guys than the girls - the guys are just more memorable to me.  I have a hard time remembering which gal danced what.  I did give some votes to Ricky and Valerie and also to Serge and Carly, if for no other reason because they had such a horrible dance assigned to them.  I also like Casey and he got some votes from me, 
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:38 am

Category: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCEPublished on Wednesday, 23 July 2014 22:13
RECAP FOR JULY 23, 2014

Hello and welcome to tonight’s brand new Top 16 episode of SYTYCD. Tonight Misty Copeland returns to the panel as she has done a very good job the past few weeks. SYTYCD is struggling a bit in the ratings but I don’t get it because from my opinion which is a pretty reliable one there is a serious abundance of talent this season. 

Welcome the Top 16 dancers perform a routine, to the song Drop me in the Water choreographed by Mandy Moore. It is an unusually dark side for Mandy but a very well performed routine by all. They welcome the top 16 dancers to their solo routines. Cat introduces tonight’s judges executive producer NIGEL LYTHGOE, Ballroom choreographer and Hot Tamale Train Conductor MARY MURPHY, and Prima NY Ballerina MISTY COPELAND. For the 2nd week in a row Nigel is sitting in the middle on the panel, you will have to bear with me on that as I am not used to it or like it that much.

The Bottom 6 up for elimination this week are---

1) Tanisha Belnap

2) Marcquet Hill

3) Bridget Whitman

4) Zack Everhart

5) Serge Onik

6) Brooklyn Fullmer

Tonight the Dancers will be talking about their first performance they ever had as children, some of which are incredibly cute.  

1.) Valerie Rockey and Ricky Ubeda

Dance- Bollywood

Choreographer- Nakul Dev Mahajan

Theme- This piece is very high energy but really hot and sexy.

Song- “Dilliwali Girlfriend”-?

Nigel- There was no room to breathe in that routine, and the energy you carried out was incredible. I don’t think either of you will be leaving this week.

Mary- The first Bollywood of the season and Nakul did a great job. Nakul looks like a real proud papa. There was so much high energy with that piece and both of you looked great.

Misty- I think it is great to lecture people the lessons of Bollywood and exactly how it works. Valerie it could have been a tad bit more sharp, Ricky it was great and I love you a lot.

Me- This piece was very quick paced, and neat to watch. This is a style I wish they had on the show every week but realize exactly how difficult the style is and they have to get Nakul to be able to do it.

2.) Bridget Whitman and Emilio Dosal

Dance- Contemporary

Choreographer- Travis Wall

Theme- This piece is about a man with a troubled past and the woman is his guiding light who works him through the pains.

Song- “The Leaving Song”-Chris Garneau

Nigel- What a powerful piece of choreography, his ideas and his choices really match his choreography. Emilio’s toe pointing was absolutely point on and I really look forward to watching your journey.

Mary- I love Travis Wall dearly, I love the two of you dancing to a virtually incredible song. The partnering and the lifts really showed your control to the highest level.

Misty- The choreography did an incredible job highlighting them, you were definitely in your strongest with this Emilio. Emilio’s executed a very nice Ponche move.

Me- This is a big change for Emilio regarding dance sytles. Bridget was spot on, she has had a couple weeks that weren’t incredible but this one undoubtedly was.

3.) Tanisha Belnap and Rudy Abreu

Dance- Hip-Hop

Choreographer- Dave Scott

Theme- They will be basing this routine off of the setting of a black and white comic book.

Song- “Good Kisser”-USHER

Nigel- Dave Scott created a great routine for the both of you tonight. My attention was largely grabbed by Tanisha and that may be your best piece on the program.

Mary- You had a lot of bam moments during this piece, the strut was powerful throughout the entire routine. I didn’t see any shoulder problems Rudy, and you were probably imagining Jacque as Tanisha.

Misty- Holy Cow Tanisha it was very hard not to look at you during that piece. The suttle sexiness was very well executed. Rudy you were the perfect partner and never outdid the other.

Me- Holy Sexy, and lots of leather in this routine. This wasn’t the most general of hip-hop routines but what it did was show exactly how Hip-Hop has so many genres. This was a fun one to see.

4.) Marcquet Hill and Jessica Richens

Dance- FoxTrot

Choreographer- Dmitry Chaplin

Theme- Marcquet had to be a smooth businessmen like Nigel. Jessica is trying to visualize Marcquet as Nigel and keeping it composed.

Song- “I put a spell on you”-Nina Symone

Nigel- The routine didn’t flow as well as I would love to see in a foxtrot, I missed some of the flow of movement. Marcquet I felt a bit uncomfortable, Jessica you captured me.

Mary- It didn’t really put a spell on me, there were some fabulous moments and it was very sexy but closed hold was slightly off, and the leg actions weren’t the best part. Jessica that was so outside your style it is incredible and you did an amazing job.

Misty- I can’t really judge a foxtrot, watching as an audience member, you should watch your neck a bit Jessica, and there needs to be a bit more fair space there. The twists looked very manly, broad but your feet were a bit off.

5.)  Carly Blaney and Serge Onik

Dance- Contemporary

Choreographer- Mandy Moore

Theme- This is the basic story of desire in which the woman wants the man but he is only partially in.

Song- “Foolish Games”-Jewel

Nigel- This was great from Mandy and so was her opening number tonight. I apologize to Carly that she was great last week and even better this week. The last move was remarkable. Serge you partnered her incredibly. You both look very desperate to learn

Mary- Serge you are the most improved dancer from this season, all of the passion and your connections this season are gorgeous and incredible.

Misty- Carly you consistently dance full body and it is great. Serge this was very emotionally charged, and you guys are so fluid and I love you guys together.

6.) Emily James and Teddy Coffey

Dance- Salsa

Choreographer- Oksana and Jonathan

Theme- This isn’t the typical salsa with many a lift in the piece.

Song- “Bruk it Down”- Mr. Vegas

Nigel- The public don’t know that Emily dislocated her shoulder this morning, I think that is the reason you guys missed a couple locations twists, the show went on greatly tonight and was a fun routine.

Mary- Some of the exchanges were missed along the way and I would have liked it bumped up one more level.

Misty- Emily the performing was great and you recovered after a little mistake, you seemed a tad uncomfortable with your shoulders. Teddy you were fabulous and so in it. It looked like it was your genre.

7.) Zack Everhart and Jacque Lewarne

Dance- Jazz

Choreographer- Sonya Tayeh

Theme- A couple which broke up in the past but want to rekindle their relationship again.

Song- “Back to Black”-Beyoncé

Nigel- I absolutely adore Sonya and love her work. I have to say I could have seen more emotion, the dancing was remarkable, some of the moves were very Sonya-esque.

Mary- Those heels were so high, it was very slinky and the leg lines of both of you were great. Zack you continue to impress me week after week.

Misty- I am going to pick on you Jacque, the small details weren’t that there. I expected much more refinement in your feet as a ballerina, and wanted to see more choreography from you. Zack It was fabulous and you are a great dancer.

Me- Zack is really showing his great technique on the show as a tapper, I do agree that Jacque was weaker tonight, but am not even close to ready to break up her and Rudy so not yet, they both can stay.

8.) Brooklyn Fullmer and Casey Askew

Dance- Hip-Hop

Choreographer- WildaBeast

Theme- This piece is supposed to showcase the inner “BEAST” in side of them, they need to work on getting low and really breaking out the style.

Song- “Hustle Hard Remix”- Ace Hood

Nigel- I’m thrilled we got him on the show. It is a tough routine when you guys haven’t done hip-hop and the outfits were a bit goofy. Brooklyn you did a damn good attempt at it.

Mary- The Wildabeast came out on that piece and it was really hard hitting especially in the 2nd half.

Misty- Brooklyn this was the most confident I have seen you look with any dance so far. This was definitely yours Brooklyn.

Me- These two definitely need to get more feel and break it down down down in this piece. I don’t know if either was very strong and believe that Brooklyn may be in trouble.

THIS SATURDAY IS NATIONAL DANCE DAY!! and people from all other the country have showcased their videos by sending them in. There is a basic routine with Nigel and Adam is being used nationwide in the Rehabilitation centers and the more difficult routine by Christopher Scott is very doable for anyone with Dance experience.

Sonya Tayeh Group Contemporary Routine---

Theme-This is the village of broken people and they will be very hardly pushed with this routine. 

Song-“So Broken”-Bjork

Dancers- Brooklyn, Casey, Valerie, Zack, Emily, Emilio, Tanisha and Serge

Nigel-This is the Sonya Tayeh, I love I don’t love Bjork as a singer but those two go so well together with choreography, It was very wonderful from the judges perspective

Mary- Sonya you have outdone yourself lady, this was absolutely brilliant, each and every one of you was a star during that routine.

Misty- Wonderful and you guys were a great unit with a lot of cohesive team moments. 

Travis Wall Group Contemporary Routine--

Theme- This is a group of outlaws which is trying to escape the city and get out in whatever violent way they can.

Song- “Love Runs Out”-One Republic

Dancers- Marcquet, Rudy, Jacque, Ricky, Bridget, Emily, Carly, and Teddy.

Nigel- The camera cuts of this routine were great, the choreo was very strong and the talent of the dancers was very memorable, and the final routines worked well together.

Misty- Every single one of you brought something big to that routine but Rudy was the most memorable.

Mary- Sometimes there is a time to dance a time to sing and a time scream WOOHOO

Me- I think Travis’s team was just slightly better than Sonya’s but both were great. I think Travis is very able to win an emmy next year with this piece.

Lucy Hale is on with a guest performance.

Results- Nigel- America has not made it easy but it is never easy for them, next week will be a double elimination and we will lose 4 total dancers. They are going to be going with America’s vote this week again because all 6 of them did really well this week, so it is the only correct thing to do. Marcquet and Brooklyn step forward and they will be leaving via America’s Vote. So tonight we lose Marcquet and Brooklyn who actually auditioned together at the first audition.

Cat shows the videos of the remaining 14 dancers to vote for. Be sure to join me back here again on SYTYCD Next week and I hope you enjoyed tonight’s caps. If you really love reading our stuff here at TVGrapevine be sure to join our forum and follow us on twitter @TVGrapevine or me @Timwestine75 thanks a million and hope to see you guys next week for a thrilling double elimination.

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-12-08-02-24/so-you-think-you-can-dance/8449-so-you-think-you-can-dance-recap-for-july-23-2014
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 am

For what it's worth, here's my take on last night.

Opening number:  One of the best they've had.  I like Sync.

Valerie & Ricky: Bollywood.  I've never really seen this as a legit dance for a show like SYTYCD.  That being said, Valerie was fantastic.  She's cute as a button with a great smile.  Ricky always meets the challenge.

Bridget & Emilio:  Contemporary.  Loved her leg action.  He's forgettable.  Hated the lighting.

Tanisha & Rudy:  Hip Hop.  I like this softer form of Hip Hop and the music that goes with it.  Tanisha stole the show.

Jessica & Marcquet:  Fox Trot.  Something about M just bugs me.  Is it over-extended big moves?  Can't put my finger on it, but he ruined the number for me.  She was pleasant to watch.

Carly & Serge:  Contemporary.  SHE is fantastic.  That spin and the body "sink" - amazing.  I could barely give any eye time to Serge. 

Teddy & Emily:  Salsa.  I usually like Teddy.  Emily is another who is forgettable.  The dance?  Meh.

Jacque & Zack:  Very impressive!  Especially Zack.  Loved the choreo.

Brooklyn & Casey:  Hip Hop.  I ffwded through it.  I dislike this genre.

Sonya's last group number:  GENIUS!!  Tanisha was phenomenal!

Travis' last group number:  I know the judges were on their feet but I thought Sonya's was ten times more creative.

Well, that's just me.  Where are Vic and Mustang??????

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:59 pm

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE: RECAP FOR JULY 30, 2014
Details
Category: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCEPublished on Thursday, 31 July 2014 05:32
RECAP FOR JULY 30, 2014

Hello and welcome to the top 14 episode of SYTYCD on Fox. Tonight will be a heartbreaking quadruple elimination of 4 contestants taking us down to the top 10 dancers. This will cause the all-star portion of the show to kick in next week. We open with a beautiful contemporary piece choreographed by Stacey Tookey. From reading Nigel’s tweets and other information I have discovered it will be a dark night, and a lot of choreographers created darker routines this week. 

This week since. Tonight the judges are executive producer NIGEL LYTHGOE, queen of the ballroom 
choreographers but this was a very nice piece and strong to start off the night.

2.) Tanisha Belnap and Rudy Abreu

Dance- Contemporary

Choreographer- Mandy Moore

Theme- This is the basic story of seduction and they are looking for breathtaking magic.

Song- “Seduces Me”- Celine Dion

Nigel- I can see that Mandy got every ounce of emotion out of you, Rudy you are so loud you may be Mary’s love child, Tanisha you were brilliant and your lines were flawless.

Mary- WooHoo, It fit them, and was hot and sexy, there was stuff all over the place and the overhead lift is one of the toughest lifts in dance and it was great. I love Mandy and both of you.

Christina- (Standing Ovation)- Blaah, Rudy it was dancing through closed eyes and connection from beginning, Tanisha you are insane and the strongest female.

Me- Well that seduced me, and the lifts were very nice. I truly believe that right now Tanisha is the top female and has shown especially in the past weeks how strong she is.

SERGE SOLO- (Latin Ballroom)- “Wicked Games”

3.) Jacque LeWayne and Zach Everhart 

Dance- Paso Doble

Choreographer- Jean-Marc Generaux

Theme- The movement is very dark, Zach is a vampire who is bringing Jacque back to life from her death.

Song- “Dragula”- Rob Zombie

Nigel- I loved the costumes and am proud Marina and her team won the costumes Emmy earlier this year. I am glad that the costumes didn’t overshadow the piece.

Mary- That is a different take on a Spanish Paso and I loved it Jean Marc. Zach that was a completely different attitude from you and you went full tilt, Jacque you were hitting it very strong but you lost a little bit of sync toward the end.

Christina- Zach you have so much presence and it was very strong this week Congrats to you both.

Me- The judges all broke out their vampire teeth after this piece, and it continues the creepy theme but I liked it a lot, and I am glad to see both of these dancers staying around.  

CARLY SOLO- (Contemporary)- “Not About Angels”

We get a quick sidebar about the new step up movie featuring Cyrus and Twitch. Step Up has been a huge franchise which has come partially from SYTYCD.

4.) Emily James and Teddy Coffey

Dance- Broadway

Choreographer- Warren Carlisle

Theme- This routine has a lot of hard to get coming from the female and it is made for very sophisticated dancers.

Song- “From this Moment On”- Kiss Me Kate

Nigel- My thighs hurt from watching it, that was the style I was brought up in, it is much tougher than people believe. I wasn’t crazy about the end, it was a bit unorganized.

Mary- We are so grateful to have Warren back, it was very in and out for me, and what Nigel has said is correct.

Christina- I enjoy both of you a lot on the show, this music transports me to one of the first dances I ever viewed. Teddy you blow me away that you can switch styles like that, Emily you are a beautiful dancer, there was some wobbliness.

Me- I love this kind of classic routine and Warren is a great addition to the show, with his old Broadway type of choreography. I liked Teddy more than Emily but it was nice.

CASEY SOLO- (Jazz)- “Kiss Me”

EMILY SOLO- (Contemporary)- “Infra 8”

5.) Jessica Richens and Casey Askew

Dance- Contemporary

Choreographer-Travis Wall

Theme- Madly in Love looking to gain the greatest connection possible.

Song- “Like Real People Do”- Hozier

Nigel- (STANDING OVATION)- You must have been scared with Jessica losing her partners, that routine was great and Travis got you high on the drug called love.

Mary- (STANDING OVATION)- I could watch that routine over and over and over again, It was breathtaking, and amazing and the fact a new partnership provided us with that real routine it was great.

Christina- (STANDING OVATION)- Travis Wall that was great, Jessica I still think you can win this, Casey will give you a run for your money in this competition, I believed everything about you in the dance and I love dance so much for this reason.

Me- (IN-HOUSE STANDING OVATION)- This is the top routine of the night and should propel Jessica out of the bottom for the next couple weeks. I just imagine that when people see they drew Travis as a choreographer they must feel like they are going to be the top dancers of the week, he is that freakin good.

TEDDY SOLO- (Hip-Hop)- “If I ever Fall in Love”

6.) Serge Onik and Carly Blaney

Dance- Quickstep

Choreographer- Jean Marc Generaux

Theme- The upper body needs to take a chill pill and the legs need to be on expresso, they do a water test with their hold and it looked to work. This is usually the dance of death on SYTYCD.

Song- “A Cool Cat in Town”- Tape Five

Mary- First Quickstep of Season and it is fun to see, the gliding across the floor is difficult. I think these two coped really well with the hold and the top line with the traveling. Carly it was very good and you held in it really strongly.

Christina- I have nothing critical to say, I think it helps to watch some tape from this era to help you attain the feeling of the routine.

Me- I like the quickstep a lot, sorry I missed Nigel’s comment but there wasn’t much to say to this couple tonight it was about an 8.5 out of 10 which on SYTYCD Standards is alright.

JESSICA SOLO- “Fever”-Beyonce

7.) Valerie Rockey and Ricky Ubeda

Dance- Hip-Hop

Choreographer- Pharside and Phoenix

Theme- Witchdoctor and Doll routine, the characters are very dark and twisted, but there is some body control which is needed in the piece.

Song- “Turn Down for What”- Lil Jon

Nigel- Did you really do that move with your leg Valerie because it was incredible. I have never seen that move on the show before in many years, the characters were great and Ricky your technique was great.

Mary-It was definitely the best routine of the night, and the musicality inside the piece was off the charts, it was completely nuts and I don’t know how you did half of it.

Christina- I have been watching for weeks, and I wanted to meet the 2 of you. I think it was great and don’t know if there is anything you guys can’t do.

Me- Loved It and no song is more popular at the moment than this one. I am glad we fit a routine to it and Pharside and Phoenix may be the new NappyTaps.

We get our footage of National Dance Day which occurred this last weekend.

Top 7 Girls Mandy Moore Strong Women routine- “My Immortal”-Evanescence

Nigel- (STANDING O)- It was a gift, that would have never occurred had the complete combination of show, choreography and dancers come together.

Mary- (STANDING O)- Everybody can see something different from a routine, this was beautiful how each of you picked each other up and that is what we need.

Christine- (STANDING O)- What I cant breathe right now it was so beautiful and the routine was a beautiful gift Mandy. I thought you guys were so beautiful together and you lifted each other up.

The Academy Of Villians Perform their routine which they have earned from winning on of the so-called Bieber Dance Battles earlier during the audition stage.

Top 7 Guys Travis Wall High Flying Creature Routine-  “Wave”- Beck

Nigel-I don't know if Travis has felt quite this happy with a piece but you guys felt completely like a wave and they are creating a new ride and Disney called the Travis Wall and Misty was right about the guys.

Mary- Wow, Travis you did it again, it was very smart and really memorable. Talk about the leap of faith, Emilio you almost ended up in the audience it was everything regarding a piece.

Christina- I love the poise in music you all showed, I come here to see routines like this and this is such an honor for me to sit in the presence of such beautiful dancers.

Me- I think they were both incredible pieces but the mens piece got me just a bit more but it is because of Travis vs Mandy I believe and I adore them both.

Nigel with Results- This is not easy but some events have made this easier. Seeing the solos helped tonight. As a dancer you must overcome the high bumps in the road and if you are going home treat tonight as a bump that you will overcome and contribute great things to dance. All 3 Judges are in total agreement with who is being saved. Jessica and Casey step forward and are saved and will be entering the top 10. This means Serge, Carly, Teddy and Emily are leaving us tonight which is very sad.

Next Week’s All Star Pairings are-----

Rudy- Jenna

Jacque-Chehon

Zach- Amy

Bridget-Brandon

Rudy-Lauren

Tanisha-Ryan

Emilio-Jasmine

Valerie-Ade

Casey-Katherine

Jessica-Twitch

After now seeing the top 10 be sure to join me here next week when they get the chance to perform with our fantastic all-stars. Thanks and Good Night  or Good Morning TVGrapevine Readers!! 

http://tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-12-08-02-24/so-you-think-you-can-dance/8847-so-you-think-you-can-dance-recap-for-july-30-2014

Note:  I think the 2nd Rudy should be Rickey.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:10 am

I'm putting Jessica up there on a par with Ricky.

Do none of you have any comments about favorites or opinions on the dance?  There's no point in my posting on this thread if there's no exchange.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Yes I have some favorites and I do vote for them each week.  I also have shared Casey and Jessica's dance from Wednesday night on my Facebook page.  I liked their dance the best of any of them this last week.  I do not understand why they were in the bottom three at all and hope not to see them there again.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 am

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE: TOP 10 POWER RANKINGS
DetailsCategory: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCEPublished on Wednesday, 06 August 2014 19:05SYTYCD 2014 - Page 2 Sytycd_dec11_leadSO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE
TOP 10 POWER RANKINGS

Hello TVGrapevine Readers and welcome to the SYTYCD Top 10 Power Rankings. With 5 Live performance shows down and the ratings slowing down being in a competitive time slot the competition has now changed format. Rather than the dancers performing with each other we have come up to the all-star stage of the competition which includes past favorites such as Kathryn McCormick, Lauren Froderman, Robert Roldan, Amy Yakima and Twitch. In this recap I rank the 10 dancers remaining in the competition 1 to 10 based on past performances, and potential they have in a multitude of styles. The biggest thing about this newest week now though is the judges have no further input, and the bottom 2 in America’s perspective will go home. Here we go with the SYTYCD Season 11 Top 10 Power Rankings. 

1.) Ricky Ubeda- Ricky has proven to have the longest extensions and the most beautiful lines, he really hasn’t had any performance strictly critiqued by the judges this season. So far he has experience Sonya Tayeh Contemporary with Jessica which he nailed, and then starting off with his partner Valerie, Travis Wall contemporary, Lacey Schwimmer Viennese Waltz, Nakul Dev Mahajan Bollywood, and Pharside and Phoenix Hip Hop. He has never appeared in the bottom 6 of the show and this tends to be a pretty good indication of how it will work out in the end. Especially last season where Fik-Shun and Amy were never in the bottom. This upcoming week of All-Stars he is paired up with Season 7 Winner Lauren Froderman for what could be any kind of routine since they usually look for contemporary all stars to do variety.

2.) Valerie Rockey- OK time for Ricky’s partner who has been just as good and if I could have I probably would have tied these two at number 1 but I can’t and it is against the Power Rankings format rules. Valerie has done the same routines that Ricky Has except in the first week where she performed in her original style of Tap to an Anthony Morigerato routine. Last season Aaron set the high expectations for tappers in the competition, and the next step is for a tapper to win and Valerie has put herself in that position. He faces are very smart and she really pulls off her emotions to the best in her routines. The upcoming week she will be paired with Ade for a contemporary piece.

3.) Tanisha Belnap-Tanisha has had a bottom 6 and there are other dancers below her who have not but what makes her unique is that she is the last remaining ballroom dancer left. Ever since she was in the bottom week 3 she has stuck out and become maybe the most talented girl in the competition. She really stuck out in her Dave Scott Hip Hop piece and the Mandy Moore contemporary piece this last week with Rudy. I firmly believe her popularity has skyrocketed since these routines after some mediocre ones before that and she should be a top 6 lock. This upcoming week she is paired with ballroom dancer from season 6 Ryan Di Lello.

4.) Rudy Abreu- He has been paired up with Tanisha throughout the season but we know he is crushing on Jacque and would like to be with her. He has been a stronghold during the season with an interesting build for a dancer but is providing some of the most interesting lines to see performed. Mary has really attached herself to Rudy and I think he is most likely her favorite. He has excelled in a Dave Scott Hip-Hop routine and a Warren Carlisle broadway piece. He will be paired up with Jenna Johnson for a latin piece tonight. This is a style he hasn’t breached yet in the competition and it may complete his resume and prove he has done everything.

5.) Casey Askew- He lost his partner Brooklyn two weeks ago and last week was paired with Jessica for that portion, He has had big ups and big downs, His Wildabeast Hip-Hop routine was strange enough and didn’t come to me at all, they were ballroom and contemporary and they have had hip-hop pieces and It wasn’t strong. Last week though Casey may have performed the routine of the season. Travis Wall contemporary with Jessica to the song “Like Real People Do”. That should keep him safe in the voting this week and lock him up for the top 8. This upcoming week he is paired with 3rd place of Season 6 and movie star Kathryn McCormick. She is usually cast in variety pieces but it could also be contemporary.

6.) Jacque LeWarne- The other half of the couple in the SYTYCD house, She is the only remaining ballet dancer in the house and she has tied the record for the longest a female ballet dancer has gotten. For the entirety of the competition she has been paired with Zack even though her and Rudy have been crushing on each other the entire time. Last week was not a strong routine for her with the dark Paso Doble, and this may mean the end for her however she was very popular and has never been in the bottom so this will push her to bottom but I doubt she does go home. Her best routines include her back to black Sonya Tayeh Jazz piece and her neon zebra African Jazz routine choreographed by Sean Cheesman. This upcoming week she is paired with season 9 winner Chehon Wespi-Tschopp.

7.) Emilio Dosal- Emilio is this seasons Cyrus, Fik-Shun. The person who has a style that isn’t performed on the show of popping who proves to have an incredible personality that lights up the room every time he performs. He has only ever been in the bottom early on the competition and has been with his partner Bridget from the beginning. His most notable routine was his jive by Anya and Pasha to “Happy” which made everyone in the auditorium happy and really showcased his great personality. I am “Happy” to say that tonight he will dancing with season 10 female runner up Jasmine Harper.

8.) Jessica Richens- This is the competitor who has rode the BB Roller Coaster. She has lost her partner 3 times in a row before this last week being paired with Casey. She has had a foxtrot, jazz and west coast swing on her resume which have not been the strongest because she has continuously lost her partner but this last week with her contemporary Travis Wall piece has lodged her over the top forsure. This upcoming week she will be partnered with Twitch for a Hip-Hop Routine.

9.) Zack Everhart Jr.- We don’t just have one tapper this late into the competition we actually have two which is surprising and something different for SYTYCD. Zack has had his highs and lows and the reason I have him so low in the ratings is because of his performance last week and most of the voting is based off the previous weeks performances. He has been in the bottom once and will definitely be in the bottom again. What will likely be his final performance on the show will be with contemporary dancer and season 10 winner Amy Yakima.

10.) Bridget Whitman- It was kind of coincidental Bridget ended up 10th on my list. I guess it should be Jessica but she was great last week and it is a girl because the guys are better than the girls this season. Bridget has had her moments with Emilio this season in a travis wall contemporary piece and a Anya and Pasha Jive to Happy. She doesn’t deserve to be rated this lowly but it is such a strong season of dancers this is where she fell in the rankings. For this week she will be partnered with Modern Dancer who will have an interesting style tonight most likely Brandon Bryant.

Thanks all for reading this recap and I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Be sure to come back with me tonight for the actual show Top 10 Recap. Thanks and will be back in a couple hours.

http://tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-12-08-02-24/so-you-think-you-can-dance/9214-so-you-think-you-can-dance-top-10-power-rankings
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:34 am

I was very happy to see Casey and Jessica being safe tonight and I like them so well and thought they were both terrific again tonight that I split my 20 votes between the two of them.  It is going to get harder and harder for the remaining dancers to stay out of the bottom two because tonight they all seemed to bring their bar up at least a notch.

I don't want to say who went home tonight because I'm not sure that singly has watched the show yet and I don't want to spoil it for her.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:22 am

I saw some beautiful moves from Jackie during the ballet.  Unfortunately, most of the moves were lost in darkness.   The judges may have seen "shadow,"  but I saw "dark."  It was annoying.

My favorite number, by far, was Jessica and Twitch's hip-hop.  Thankfully, there were no rap lyrics to mute and I was able to leave the sound and the beat with the dance.  The choreo was fantastic; Twitch was quite amusing; and Jessica danced off her fanny.  She redeemed herself last week with the contemporary and I think she solidified her standing with last night's performance.  Go Jessica!

I must say that for the past two weeks, Ricky has been getting the shitty end of the stick.  Last week's jazz routine had him in clothing so dark that eyes remained on Valerie as the voodoo doll.  This week's performance - heavens, I don't even remember what he did!  Was it the first hip-hop when I muted the sound?

I wasn't surprised that Emilio went home.  Unless hip-hoppers excel at other dances (like Twitch), they tend to go home early.  It seems the producers over-estimate the public's love of the genre.  I remember when they added the Russian folk dance to the play list.  It didn't last long.  To me, bollywood is also a folk dance and is only a test of stamina.  lol.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:31 am

Singly the shadows were on the wall if you go to the SYTYCD web site you can watch just the clip of her dance and you can see the shadows they were talking about.  You can also see a clip of just Ricky's dance.  I don't think he is getting any worse than the rest of them - they all end up with, as you put it, the short end of the stick at one time or another throughout the show IMO.  
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:37 am

Well, crap.  I never thought of watching the wall!

I don't think Ricky is getting any worse.  But I think what he's been given to do the last two weeks wasn't showing his talent.  First, the costuming that took away the attention to his dance.  Then, the lousy hip hop choreo.   I hope he gets something spectacular next week.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:33 am

Ricky isn't getting any worse it's just that some of the others are getting better and starting to catch up with him IMO.  I don't think it has anything to do with dances he has been given - he has done those just fine.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Sorry, I guess it wasn't a lousy hip-hop.  I have no idea what that dance  was supposed to be last night.  I alway hated that Bossa Nova song, but I thought the number sucked.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:17 pm

singlyme wrote:Sorry, I guess it wasn't a lousy hip-hop.  I have no idea what that dance  was supposed to be last night.  I alway hated that Bossa Nova song, but I thought the number sucked.
 Laughing Okay I get it - you just didn't like anything about the dance he was given.  But he did it fine and got good feed back from the judges so they seemed to like it.  I don't think he has a thing to worry about, there is no way that I can see him anywhere near the bottom two.  I think him and Valerie both will be up in the top of the pack again next week.  I'm not sure though if they will be back with the partners they had before this week again next week.  Did they say?
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:56 am

I think the ones with the new partners are only those who lost theirs to the vote.

I think I figured out why I hated Ricky's dance - and it's strictly personal.  It involves all those 60's movies in which the teens were dancing.  The moves were supposed to reflect how teens actually danced - and they were awful!  Pure choreo with nothing natural.  I always wondered if in the future, people would look back and think this was how we danced.  lol.  By the way, do you recall what category of dance this was supposed to be?  Old 60's movies?   Crying 

I thought Valerie did pretty well with her dance, but she was the only one who seemed to get a less than an "A" for her performance.  I fear that without Ricky, her magic will be gone.

I just hope the judges don't ruin it for me.  If they continue to pile on the accolades for Ricky and Jessica (at the exlusion of everyone else), I'll be ticked.  They did it with Amy and they did it with Melanie - to the point that I resented it for the others.  It got to the point I believed they'd skew the votes if need be - just to see them win.  They are my favorites and I don't need the judges to keep drumming their talent into my head like I'm too stupid to see it.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top