SYTYCD 2014

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SYTYCD 2014 Empty SYTYCD 2014

Post by SLA44 Thu May 29, 2014 1:16 am

Tonight the tryouts started for the new season and from the looks of the first night's airing of tryouts it is going to be a good season.  I think I laughed more tonight than I ever have before while watching this show.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

SYTYCD 2014 Empty Re: SYTYCD 2014

Post by singlyme Thu May 29, 2014 8:41 am

I'm glad they're showing a predominance of good dancers instead of the whackos.  Whenever there's a rap song, I mute the tv.  It's hilarious to watch people move without music.

I just hope Nigel doesn't promote his seasonal favorite this time around.  Some of these kids are so talented.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu May 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Yes some of those kids were very talented.  What I was laughing at last night was the father's that got up on the stage to do the bottle dance and whatever that 2nd one was with the two of them.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri May 30, 2014 7:43 am

The two dads were cool.  But I felt sad for the kid whose dad passed since last season.  I think when he traveled all the way to Chicago for a second shot, they felt sorry for him.  His dancing really isn't up to snuff so he'll probably go quickly.

Do we know why Jenna Elfman quit ballet?  Injury?  There's something vague trying to break through in my mind, as though I heard the reason before - but I can't recall.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri May 30, 2014 11:09 am

I felt sorry for him too and thought the same thing that he got a sympathy ticket.

I don't know or remember who Jenna Elfman is - can you refresh my memory on her?  That's okay I just looked her up on google and it says she is 42 years old - that could be why she quit ballet.  I am not familiar with her.  There was a new article (8 hours old) that showed her at a fun raising event.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2643553/Painting-town-red-Jenna-Elfman-Lori-Loughlin-stunning-crimson-tones-tied-bow-art-education-event.html
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat May 31, 2014 8:04 am

Jenna had her own tv show (seems a long time ago.)  I can't remember the name of it.  I didn't watch it.  Seems she quit ballet for reasons other than age.  Elusive memory for me.  *sigh*  Old age bites.  I was never an actual fan of hers, just knew of her in passing.  She seems like a sweet lady.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:09 pm

I was surprised to see Jenna Johnson back at the tryouts for SYTYCD last night but she was only helping out her old partner from Utah.  However, it did work out good for her as her old partner went through and she was offered a spot on this seasons show (not as a contestant).
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:01 am

It's gratifying to see them keep past outstanding dancers employed.  Now, Jenna will reap that benefit.  I enjoy seeing Catherine (K?), Elinore, Robert, Neil, and others as all-stars.

I know many love the ballroom and Latin dances, but they're my least favorite performances.  Perhaps, it's for the same reason that many don't want to see contemporary on DWTS.  lol

Fingers crossed for another great season.

Oh - one more thing.  I often find myself surprised by the guest judges.  Didn't know some of them had dance backgrounds.  Christina Applegate for one.  Interesting.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Jenna was sure happy and so was Mary (the judge).  I think Jenna must have been one of her favorites.  I love the contemporary dances on DWTS and had tears rolling down my cheeks when Meryl and Maks did their freestyle.  I don't mind the ballroom and latin dances on SYTYCD either - I guess I just like to see a wide variety of dances.  

I am anxious for the season to get started.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:34 pm

singlyme wrote:Jenna had her own tv show (seems a long time ago.)  I can't remember the name of it.  I didn't watch it.  Seems she quit ballet for reasons other than age.  Elusive memory for me.  *sigh*  Old age bites.  I was never an actual fan of hers, just knew of her in passing.  She seems like a sweet lady.

Dharma and Greg.  She was Dharma and the guy who plays Aaron Hotchner on Criminal Minds was Greg.  (Talk about elusive minds - I watch CM every week, and I can't think of the guy's name right now.  )  It was a really cute show.

Anyway, I've been mostly enjoying the auditions, but I'm finding my patience is wearing thin with all the sob stories.  I must be turning into a real Grinch because I just don't care most of the time.  I just want to watch people dance - I can get acquainted with their backgrounds if they make it to the Top 20. 

There haven't been too many that have really stood out to me.  But that's par for the course for me.  Half the time I'm left scratching my head because the judges are gaga over someone I thought was just okay.  There are some really gorgeous dancers as always.  It will be interesting to see who makes it to the top this year.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:11 pm

The sob stories are getting like the bach franchise and I too am getting sick of them.  Amy on DWTS did a good job but they played up her handicap a lot and she got favors the other dancers didn't get.  I hope that doesn't happen on SYTYCD also.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Mustang, I'm with you on the sob stories - or any story this early in the game.  Most of them will probably be going home, so what's the point?   I tape the show and when it's one hour in, I start watching.  I FFWD thru the commercials, crap stories and rap music.  Sorry to those who like it, but I just can't abide rap.  It sets my teeth on edge.  Unless they can come up with someone who can equal Twitch or Cyrus, I'd just as soon they banned hip-hop altogether.  I hate it!

And thank you for the Dharma & Greg answer.  I can't think of Hotchner's real name either.  lol  Hey, wait!  Thomas Jane?

SLA, I skipped DWTS this season because of how Erin was questioning the pros and contestants on the first night.  It was more like Inside Edition, digging up dirty/uncomfortable details.  My only form of protest was to turn it off.  I saw a lot of discontent on the board about how Amy was being favored.  My only regret is that I missed Maks winning the trophy.  I caught a couple of the dances on the Internet.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:17 am

Singly there is a video of all their dances (just dances no scores, practice sessions, or after dance talk) on the Meryl and Maks fan video thread.  It's too bad you didn't watch because I think this was one of the best ever.  Maks and Meryl were the best couple I have ever seen on this show and she also was the highest scoring celebrity in the history of the show.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:24 am

Singly - thanks for the prompt.  Not Thomas Jane but Thomas Gibson.  And you really should go back and at least watch the videos of the M&M dances from DWTS.  Or maybe find the episodes on-line where you could ff through most of the filler.  Danica and Val had some really good dances, as did many of the others.  Amy really did well, and her quickstep was fantastic.  I thought she overscored a lot of the time, but she had really beautiful movement and great core strength that let her do lifts well.  I personally loved Erin Andrews as a co-host.  She was a bit "hyper" the first couple of episodes, but I think that was just because she was new and feeling her way around.  But she settled in nicely, and while occasionally there were cringe-worthy moments in her interviews, often they were just wonderful with some really funny moments.  And she and Tom really clicked.  She is not quite his equal in the ad-lib department, but she is light years better than Brooke or Samantha. 

On SYTYCD, I did want to mention a couple of the dancers that did stick with me (since there truly weren't that many).  I loved the guy from Kansas who taught himself and got to dance with Cyrus and Fikshun.  I was sad that he didn't make it through choreography, but I was happy for him that he got to dance with two of the dancers that he looks up to.  JaJa (the one who learned from Philip Chebeeb) was pretty good.  The ballet dancer from the "couple in love" was a beautiful dancer, but I was surprised her partner made it through because I thought he was completely uninspiring as a dancer.  The "alien" girl (the one with alopecia) I remember only because of that - I really didn't think she was that good and was surprised when they put her straight through. 

My absolute favorite at this point and the only one I've gone back and re-watched the audition on youtube was Marie Poppins.  The stage name she chose is probably the only reason I remember her name (and she's the only one whose name I do remember except for JaJa), but I absolutely fell in love with her dancing.  I thought she was great at the beginning - very elegant, classy and smooth - but when Fikshun joined her, it was just magic.  I am really hoping she can do other styles because I just adored everything about her that we saw in her audition.

I also thought the little kid who told them he was 18-1/2 at first and who also got to dance with Cyrus and Fikshun as his backup dancers was actually really good.  This show is unlikely to still be on the air in 10 years when he would be old enough to audition, which is too bad, because I suspect that, given the skill level he had this young, if he sticks with it, by 18-1/2 he'll be amazing.

Last edited by LadyMustang65 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:25 am

I tried to watch one of those videos, SLA.  They come out pale and white.  This board wants me to download something in order to see them.  I'm hesitant to do this since I caught a virus on this site several months ago. 

I've since bought Kaspersky.  It warned me off a thread here at one point.  Seems we may have a lurking invader. 

JAVA nagged me until I downloaded their latest update and now I can't make a move without their wanting to join in.  I have to press cancel everytime I enter a site.

I'm anxious to see the Meryl/Maks performances.  Perhaps I'll download the necessary operating feature to watch.  After all, I have the Kaspersky watchdog now.  lol

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 am

mustang, we were obviously typing at the same time.

I find that when I watch the auditions, the ones who stand out to me are those with a ballet background.  At this point, I can't remember who did what.  Many will fall by the wayside.  I won't start remembering names until they whittle down the numbers.

As you know, I'm big on ballet and contemporary, with a side of jazz and broadway.  Not big on hip-hop or ballroom.

I'm anxious for the season to progress to the real starting point.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:20 pm

I know what you mean about names.  The last couple of seasons it's taken me almost the entire show to get straight who was who.  They lately have had interchangeable blond or brunette contemporary girls that I can rarely tell apart. 

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:37 pm

singlyme wrote:I tried to watch one of those videos, SLA.  They come out pale and white.  This board wants me to download something in order to see them.  I'm hesitant to do this since I caught a virus on this site several months ago. 

I've since bought Kaspersky.  It warned me off a thread here at one point.  Seems we may have a lurking invader. 

JAVA nagged me until I downloaded their latest update and now I can't make a move without their wanting to join in.  I have to press cancel everytime I enter a site.

I'm anxious to see the Meryl/Maks performances.  Perhaps I'll download the necessary operating feature to watch.  After all, I have the Kaspersky watchdog now.  lol
Singly I don't think this board wants you to download something to see these videos.  There is an add that pops up all the time saying you need some video tool and I just ignore and close it.  You don't need it to watch the videos.  Some of the videos are in black and white so I don't know what one you clicked on but one the publisher used some effects on the black and white that makes it look different.  Here is the link to video that just shows the dances and nothing else - no practice, no judge comments, no Erin interiveiws and no scores - it is titled "The Dances":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5TorbtHJKkA
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Category: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCEPublished on Wednesday, 25 June 2014 23:09Hits: 2294
SYTYCD 2014 Sytycd_dec11_leadSO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE
RECAP FOR JUNE 25, 2014

Hello and welcome to tonight’s episode of SYTYCD on FOX. The auditions have ended and we have visited the corners of the US from Philly to LA, we have found the best talent and taken them to Pasadena to come up with our top 20. I hope you are ready to join me for the ride. 

First it is important that I keep you up to date on something we started last week. 

SYTYCD READCAPPER Contest-

“Have you ever watched the show and thought that you would be a better judge than Nigel or Mary? Well here is your chance! On a later recap in the next 3 weeks I will post 5 SYTYCD trivia questions in the recap. The first person who can correctly answer the five trivia questions will have their opinions of the dances included in that nights recap. More information is to come including the email address to send the answers along with the questions. But We hope there is some interest in this contest which will hopefully bring some new attention to the show. “

Well here is further explanation- Next week will be when the questions are published, and at the email I include is where the answers can be sent. The first person to get them all right will get the chance to be a special SYTYCD Recapper during a live performance show of their choice.

More importantly back to tonight-

The judges for the callbacks include Executive Producer NIGEL LYTHGOE, film producer ADAM SHANKMAN, Ballroom Legend and Hot Tamale Train conductor MARY MURPHY, Ice skater and color commentator TARA LIPINSKI, former contestant STEPHEN TWITCH BOSS and ballerina IRINO DVOROVENKO. They are going to start with a solo round.

First up is ballroom dancer Tanisha Belnap who is part of the Utah contingent which has produced SYTYCD legends Chelsie Hightower, Lindsay Arnold and Witney Carson, she is really impressing the judges with this solo, and I have always said how difficult it is to do a ballroom solo. Over the next 8 hours 157 dancers show their solo dance skills during this round, almost all really impress. Steven Caydor has had a stressful callback week and his girlfriend’s water broke and she told him he needed to be there and dance for his future as opposed to being with her. The music for his routine fits him almost perfectly. After the 157 solos they confer to cut down 36 dancers to drop us to 121. Puppet dancer Paul was among the 36 lost in the elimination. The first choreography challenge is hip-hop with Christopher Scott and Jasmine from season 10. to Turn Down for What by Lil Jon. Training was over at 9PM and they had all night to rehearse but they had to wait till the morning to perform. Stephen was the only one still awake at 1:30 in the morning, and his girlfriend has been in labor for 27 hours. Day 2. The first couple included Jessica Richens and Marie Poppins. This is the style of Marie Poppins and Jessica Richens has never done this style before. Marie Poppins is through because she has immense talent with her other styles. Jessica Richens has one more chance to dance for her life. Amanda Mitchell is dancing with Marquette and she believes Marquette is hip-hop but he is really ballroom. But Marquette can very well do ballroom. Twitch and Mary are in love with the fact at how well Marquette can do hip-hop. It is also proven that Tanisha Belnap and Serge can do hip-hop greatly. One Ballroom dancer who struggled was Marlena Ostergard. who is partnered with the man who’s girlfriends labor produced his child Cameron. Marlena was the most frustrating and Mary and Tara didn’t think she was good enough but the other 4 liked her and everyone else is through to the next round. Trevor Bryce and Caleb Brawner both perform in the final group, Trevor is sent home for falling apart during this routine, Caleb needed to be a little more down and dirty, and he is also sent home. Megan McConnell and Francesca Bass have been eliminated after the hip-hop round.

Jessica Richens now gets her attempt to dance for her life. Her solo is to a Michael Buble classic. She is sent off the stage and has certain judges standing up and screaming yes yes yes. Next round is the Sonya Thaeh round, which is the Jazz round. Seasons 9 George and Amy get to demonstrate the choreography. After 1 hour, the Jazz round begins.  Yaya and Marie Poppins as hip-hop girls are really struggling with the choreography for this round. The first group contains tapper Zach Everhart and ballroom dancer Carla, who fell during rehearsals. It was rough for Carla and she was sent home from this round. Many other hip-hop dancers struggled in this style included new father Stephen, who says that his son will be proud that his daddy tried. Shafik Westbrook is also eliminated from this round with popper Marie Poppins. The final female hi-hopper left is Yaya. She is asked to dance for her life and her she goes. Twitch loves some of her popping skills. Twitch loved some of her moves and screams through the whole thing. She gets 6 fabulous yesses.

The next round is the ballroom round choreographed by Dimitry Chaplin and Anya from Anna and Pasha. They show the routine. A lot of the contestants say how necessary it is for the people to step up for this routine. We have a tooth knockout from one of the couples. At 9 PM the people are given the night to work on their routine before performing for the judges in the morning. In the morning, the featured couple includes 2 tappers. Tara says that he loves the tappers, and Nigel hopes that they have set the standard for day 3 of the dancing. Johnny Waks has a very good ballroom performance along with Rudy Abreu, Christopher the toothless., Jessica Richens and the ballroom dancers killed it very easily. We get fully introduced to Emilio who had to pull out of the competition last season, and missed the season. He is dancing with his friend Yaya the hip-hopper. Emilio looked fantastic yaya was a bit of a struggle but she got it done also.

We have reached the contemporary round of the choreography stage. It will be choreographed by SYTYCD legend Travis Wall. The first performing group includes Bridget Whitman from the Philadelphia auditions. Bridget is criticized for throwing herself around and she is given the chance to dance for her life. The remainder of her group makes it through to the group round of the callbacks. As the rest of the round goes on it turns out to be one of the best contemporary rounds in the history of the show. They are really whipping through this round this season, it usually has a bigger deal made of it.

Bridget Whitman returns from the break dancing for her life, she needs 3 yesses to advance. Mary says Yes. Twitch says no. Tara says Yes. Nigel says No. Irena says Yes. Adam says Yes. She advances into the next round. After the contemporary round everyone is called back to the stage. They are told they are down to 50 people, 29 boys and 21 girls. Tonight they will have another long night which is group night. The dancers were put into groups of 5 making 10 groups and they had a variety of dance styles to the groups making them as difficult as possible. The dancers have all night to perform a routine for them the next morning. Some of the music choices include Lil Jon, John Legend, Ariana Grande and Sam Smith. They fade away for a commercial break as it is shown someone dropping someone doing an incredibly large lift.

The first group is really going for a contemporary routine but it only has one ballroom girl and she is uncomfortable so they go for ballroom choreography to appease her. They call their group 1 love. Tara called it a mess. It was too directed by Serena. Irina says that she was very distracted by Serena. Nigel makes them a deal to come back later and decide who goes home. Inside the theater other groups were really stinking it up. A lot of people are sent home from the group stage. This next group celebrated a birthday during rehearsal and it was awful. A lot of strong dancers were sent home from this stage in the competition. One Love can’t decide who to send home. Serena says that she thinks the judges are against her and she feels bad. The next group features. Marlena, Johnny Waks, and Trenton among others. This team has All of Me by John Legend as their song and the routine was very lovely. Tara says that they came off very nicely as a whole. Nigel says it is his favorite group. They finally find some good groups which remind the judges why they got to this point. At the end of group round One Love comes up and none of them want to go home voluntarily. Nigel was hoping that would be the result from that group that they would all stick up for each other and they did so none of them were sent home.

The 44 final people have one last solo to close off an exhausting call back week. Rickie Ubeda is first up on the solo. Pretty much all 44 dancers show their best dances to get into the top 20 for the season. Usually people fall down and make mistakes in the solos, but they really do their best jobs. The speeches to put them in the top 20 are very strong and there are definitely more than 20 dancers deserving of being in the top 20. After the break we will cut 44 to 20.

The 4 winning crews are announced from the past 4 weeks of voting during the auditions,

We are ready for some results.

Ricky Ubeda is in----Jessica Richens is in--Jacqui Lawon is in----Teddy Coffey is in----Stanley Glower and Carly Blaney are also all in.

The popper Emilio is next who pulled out last year due to an injury, He gets through as the 7th person into the top 20. A lot of spots have been filled and many people are getting nervous. Yaya who is also in Emilio’s crew, she is sent home. Emilio comes over to hug her. 4 more dancers were sent home Novion, Serena, Arman, and Johnny Waks were all sent home. Very sad for Johnny Waks because I liked him this year.

Bridget Whitman is up next for the final judgment, she is sent through. Some others sent through include. Valerie Rockie and Zach Everhart in the tap category. Jordan Epstein the ballerina. Contemporary dancers Emily James and Casey Askew.

Landon Anderson is a little worried after how disappointing his last solo was. He performed with All-Star Jenna Johnson during the auditions. They sadly have to let him go because of his final day struggles during the week of performances. Others sent home include Haley Paine and Justine Lutz. In holding Nick Garcia and Rudy Abreu are in holding. They have been together for the longest amount of time, and hope not to be going their separate ways at this stage. Mary loves the speed of his footwork and how incredible he was to finish off the week. He dances his way off the stage when he is told that he is going through. Others going through from ballroom include Tanisha Belnap, Marlena Ostagard, Serge and Brooklyn and Marquette.

The final 2 dancers remaining for judgment are silky moore and contemporary dancer Rudy Abreu. Silky is sent home and Rudy is advancing as the 20th person to complete the top 20. Next week we will have the meet the top 20 show in which all the contestants will be better introduced to you for your votes and be sure to stay tuned for the questions next week in the SYTYCD Readcapper competition.

Thanks-Timman

Via Fox:
This season’s Top 20 finalists are: Girls: Tanisha Belnap, Carly Blaney, Jourdan Epstein, Brooklyn Fullmer, Emily James, Jacque LeWarne, Malene Ostergaard, Jessica Richens, Valerie Rockey and Bridget Whitman; Boys: Rudy Abreu, Casey Askew, Teddy Coffey, Emilio Dosal, Zack Everhart, Jr., Nick Garcia, Stanley Glover, Marcquet Hill, Serge Onik and Ricky Ubeda. The announcement was made tonight by resident judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy and special guest judges Adam Shankman, Stephen “tWitch” Boss, Tara Lipinski and Irina Dvorovenko. Also announced tonight were the four winning dance crews that will be performing live on the SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE stage on an upcoming show: Academy of Villains, Wanted Ashiqz, Control Freakz and Chloe Arnold’s Syncopated Ladies.

http://tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-12-08-02-24/so-you-think-you-can-dance/7001-so-you-think-you-can-dance-recap-for-june-25-2014
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:36 am

At this point, I don't remember any names.  Now that we're ready to move on to the nitty-gritty, I'll soon have a few favorites.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 am

Here is the recap of tonight's show from TVgrapevine:

Category: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCEPublished on Wednesday, 02 July 2014 22:55Hits: 198
SYTYCD 2014 Sytycd_dec11_leadSO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE
RECAP FOR JULY 2, 2014

Hello and welcome to tonight’s top 20 showcase show of SYTYCD. Last week the Pasadena callbacks were held and after those we were left with this seasons top 10 guys and top 10 girls, who will be given the opportunity to showcase their style in what is the 200th Live episode of SYTYCD.  Another Exciting thing I am heading tonight is the TVG Guest-Readcapper contest. Which you can read about below. Here we go! 

Before I get into the show here is the info about the TVG Guest-Readcapper contest-

“Have you ever watched the show and thought that you would be a better judge than Nigel or Mary, or wanted to sit next to them on the panel? Well here is your chance!  I will be posting 6 SYTYCD trivia questions below and the FIRST person to CORRECTLY submit the 6 answers in an email with your name at top will be gifted the honor of being part of one of the SYTYCD Recaps for this season here on TVGrapevine.com. By that I mean they will be able to include their unique opinions on routines in the recap through me the writer for all to see. If you read the cap below you will notice how I include my opinions under the judges, well that is where you can find yourself in one of the upcoming weeks if you win the contest.  THE ANSWERS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE NEXT WEEK’S SHOW STARTS.   The Email the answers should be submitted to is[email=tvgtimman@gmail.com.]tvgtimman@gmail.com.[/email] I will anxiously awaiting the responses to these 6 SYTYCD trivia questions, and if there is a big enough response I may choose 2 winners.  
Name-

1) Who sat in as a permanent judge for season 7 while Mary Murphy was battling thyroid cancer?

2) Who hosted season 1 of the show?

3) What unusual prop was used during Twitch and Kherington's contemporary piece in season 4 choreographed by Mia Michaels.

4) Later that season Mary Michaels used another interesting prop when choreographing for Twitch and Katie to the song Mercy. What was it?

5) What was the name of the "crew" that season 8 contestant Cyrus and season 9 contestant Blu-Print came from?

6) Which guest judge during season 8 after the end of a Melanie Moore and Sasha Mallory dance threw a shoe onto the stage in expression of love for the piece?

Alright lets get into the actual recap for the show-

The opening routine is performed to the “Stalker Ha” by Kingdom and it is a broadway routine choreographed by Sonya Thaeh. Cat introduces the top 20 at the conclusion. Bridget, Casey, Brooklyn, Emilio, Carly, Marcquet, Emily, Nick, Jacque, Ricky, Jessica, Rudy, Jourdan, Serge, Marlena, Stanley, Tanisha, Teddy, Valerie, Zack

The Judges for tonight are Executive Produce Mr. NIGEL LYTHGOE, evening sir    ballroom choreographer, and judge for every season of the show but 7 MARY MURPHY. Joining them as this weeks special guest judge is Pop superstar and the guest performer this evening, with 40 millions singles sold worldwide it is JASON DERULO.

1)- Brooklyn and Serge
Style-Cha-Cha
Choreographer-Dmitry Chaplin
Theme-Super Steamy and Hot, and they will be getting to know each other pretty fast.
Song- “Hell Yeah”-Midnight Red

Nigel-They uplifted the room with their energy, however he would like Brooklyn to play to her partner a little bit better.
Mary-Mary says it was a great way to get her fired up for the season. Serge came back strong this year better than ever.
Jason- Amazing Way to start and it got very steamy and he says that it would be really cool to add to his show.
Me-I love the motivation from the couple and it is a nice start to the season, I liked Serge more than her, he was a tad stronger. Brooklyn has a very cute personality that I can see doing well in the votes. `

2)- Emily and Casey
Style- Contemporary
Choreographer- Travis Wall
Theme- Couple who argues a lot and the fighting represents the bumps in the relationship. There is a lot of contact in the piece, and they are a little worried about that.
Song- “All of Me”-John Legend

Nigel- When you can pair technique and emotion together in a routine it is really well done. Travis can really change the style of his contemporary based on the beats and rhythm of his piece.
Mary- Emily your extensions go off for days and Casey’s partnering is really well done and I can’t wait to see her work together as the season goes on.
Jason- I’m so excited and I didn’t want that piece to end. I love the contemporary pieces
Me- The song fit Travis Wall’s choreography greatly and I loved the extensions coming from both dancer and the emotion exhibited between the partners is beautiful.

3)- Valerie and Zack
Style- Tap
Choreographer- Anthony Morigerrato
Theme-This routine is really showing people if they can float up and down the stairs it is a very fast routine which will show America the most difficult moves in a difficult style.
Song- “Sing”-Ed Sheeran

Nigel- Wow-Wow-Wow He was mad at the audience for cheering during the taps so he couldn’t hear all of the unique sounds coming from the feet.
Mary- STANDING OVATION- They amount of possibilities you created with the steps were incredible. Zack is a genius and is living inside the shoes. Valerie is a star that takes her back to another era.
Jason- Tapping shoes are slippery, and adding all those steps to the tap routine really makes it tough along with bringing the charisma and the show.
Me- Tap is a very under utilized style on the show, and I have very happy to see Anthony return after a couple brief showings last season. This was great with the stairs.

4)- Stanley and Bridget
Style- Contemporary/Jazz
Choreographer- Bonnie Story
Theme- It is about a couple who has had a huge argument, and is trying to make the relationship workout.
Song- “Doesn’t Mean Goodbye”-Jon McLaughlin

Nigel- It was tremendous and so many people have different contemporary definitions and this was nicely done classical style. I was thrilled
Mary- Wow, that was incredible from you. Bonnie they told your story amazingly and it was completely from the heart. I fell for it hook line and sinker.
Jason- It looked effortless, and came easy to them, they want to feel that as an audience and they did with the story. The leg elevation was pretty damn crazy.
Me- The story was beautiful and I love Bonnie’s choreography especially in that piece.

5)- Jacque and Jourdan
Style- Ballet
Choreographer- Marat Daukayev
Song- Tchiakovsky Orchestra from Swan Lake.

Nigel- Your choreographer is one of the princes of Russian Ballet and he really pushed you guys to the highest level. Technique was a little off with Jourdan.
Mary- They look like sisters who have been dancing together for years on the stage and they really were incredible with the turns in the routine.
Jason- Wow, that was beautiful and I loved to watch it.
Me-Another unique style to see showcased on the show, the Russian Ballet, and it was welcomed with open arms and danced greatly. I loved the synchorinisity with the ladies and want to see more later down the line this season.

Jason Derulo is now performing his single “Wiggle Wiggle” accompanied by Snoop Dogg. The song is very good and nice to see him in a different light after judging for the first hour.

6)- Malene and Marquet
Style- Samba
Choreographer- Louis Van Amstel
Theme- Routine has a lot of gyrating, and there will be a lot of lifts in the routine.
Song- “Morning Drums”-Gregor Salto

Nigel- It is so great to steal one of their choreographers, for an episode, It seems like it took them a while to get started. Marquet is a force to be reckoned with
Mary- Nigel says that somebody is cooking some rolls, those samba rolls were very dynamic. Marquet supposedly gave the worst jive ever in Pasadena but this is the way to remember him after amazing partnership.
Jason- I can definitely tell that you guys were in their element. They definitely showed people how to perfect a difficult dance style.
Me- I like Marquet a lot as he is one of my favorite partners, Something you notice with them is their chemistry is good which is very important in Latin ballroom.

7)- Carly and Rudy
Style- Contemporary
Choreographer-Stacey Tookey
Theme- This is a very serious piece about losing someone out of a relationship

Nigel-I think we have the best top 20 ever, and Stacey Tookey is one of the best choreographers at getting emotion out of out competitors. Rudy wears his heart on his sleeve
Mary-The passion poured all out of the stage, Rudy needs to watch the dispatches from the lifts. Everything happened all at once and made the light come on.
Jason- You made it look like anything is possible and the story really was beautiful
Me-This is one of the strongest pieces of the night, and it really shows the beauty that Stacey can put in a piece and the emotion that can be displayed in 2 minutes. I loved the extensions and the line hits nothing wrong with that piece in my eyes.

8)- Teddy and Emilio
Style- Hip-Hop
Choreographer- Christopher Scott
Theme- This routine is a couple nightshift workers dancing in their workplace 
Song- “NightShift”-The Commodores

Nigel- I love Christopher Scott incorporating your styles into the piece also. They did a great job connecting to the piece and his tricks are really good.
Mary- I love how he uses the music in his pieces and Emilio’s tricks were out of this world. I see both of you being in the next step up movie.
Jason- That was super dope and the choreography was great, and merging 2 people from 2 different places looked really seamless. It was all that and more for me.
Me-I like when two people of the same sex are paired together on the show because it allows the choreographer who in this case did a great job to be unique. Great Routine Chris Scott.

9)- Jessica and Ricky
Style- Contemporary
Choreographer- Sonya Thaeh
Theme- This is about the ultimate connection, with the lifts.
Song- “Vow”-Meredith Monk

Nigel- America needs to understand that this is a complete different level. The first time I have heard a SYTYCD audience in silence after a piece. Had they stayed together they would have walked away with the season.
Mary- That just came from heaven and touched every single person in the audience. Jessica had to fight for her life to get to this stage and she was amazing.
Jason-
Me- The lift from the Titanic pose to the floor was one of the most ridiculous lifts of the show in years and it was very greatly performed. BEST PIECE OF NIGHT NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

10)- Tanisha and Nick
Style- Cha-Cha
Choreographer- Louis Van Amstel
Theme- It is all about being playful and boosting up the chemistry level.
Song- “I’m a Freak”-Enrique Iglesias and PitBull

Nigel- They were tremendous and congrats they were bloody great.
Mary- Nick was a little bit tight but they did really amazing. Tanisha had great feet and the kicks were hit hard.
Jason- It was well done and the speed was great.
Me- The judges were rushed to talk, but it was incredibly well done and Louis did a great job with his pieces tonight.

Next Week 2 people will be going home and be sure to vote for them using either the FOX Live app or going onto the FOX website to vote on the SYTYCD. To all the readers don’t forget about the recapper contest, and I am excited to receive your answers. Be sure to come back next week with me and possibly the guest recap winner for the 201st live episode of SYTYCD. Thanks

http://tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-12-08-02-24/so-you-think-you-can-dance/7327-so-you-think-you-can-dance-recap-for-july-2-2014
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:30 am

I thought last night was great.  Still too many dancers to be familiar with and they all seemed to do well.  My favorite is one I picked out while the auditions were still going on.  Ricky.  Love his lines.  That piece he did with ??? was fantastic.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:50 pm

I did actually vote last night and I did vote for Ricky and his partner.  They both did an excellent job and I agree with Nigel it is too bad they are going to be split up next week with different partners.  I did find it hard to vote with only 20 votes total that had to be spread over both the guys and the gals and there were quite a few that were really good last night.  It is still too many for me to pick a favorite yet.  
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:22 pm

They never gave a phone number, so I guess I don't vote.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:38 pm

singlyme wrote:They never gave a phone number, so I guess I don't vote.
No they are not doing it by phone-in this year.  I voted by Face Book.  I think the other option was twitter and I don't have a twitter account.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top