Survivor 31 premieres Sept. 23rd.  Here is the link to the website:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Survivor 31 Second Chance Cambodia Empty Re: Survivor 31 Second Chance Cambodia

Post by Lesallee Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:09 pm

After all these years I am still a Survivor fan! Hope there are a few like minded people on the board and we can have some interesting conversations.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:16 pm

I know that there were a few of us but when our favorites were eliminated I think we just lost interest in the rest of that season.  Hopefully this will be a good season but with it being all former contestants its hard to tell.  I haven't looked through the cast yet.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:36 am

SLA44 wrote:I know that there were a few of us but when our favorites were eliminated I think we just lost interest in the rest of that season.  Hopefully this will be a good season but with it being all former contestants its hard to tell.  I haven't looked through the cast yet.
Being a second chance show will make it hard to zero in on an early favourite because several of them appeal to me. 

I always watch right to the end even when my particular picks are gone. The machinations, manipulations and contortions people perform in pursuit of a million bucks fascinates me! 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:08 pm

Some of the people that will be on this season I don't even remember. Some I can't believe they are bringing them back.

Kass, Shirin, and Ciera i don't like and hope they don't last long.

The ones I liked from before are Joe, Woo, Keith, and Spencer.
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Keith is the one that stood out to me that I liked.  I kinda remember some of the others but maybe once the show starts up my memory will be jarred on some of the others.  Confused
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:01 am

Here we go, a new season of Survivor begins. 

I was reading how Spencer, one of my favourites, intends to play the game and what he thought he did wrong previously.

Should be fun.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Let the games begin....

Popcorn
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:12 am

Bye Vytas, can't really say I will miss you. And who voted for that self obsessed harridan Abi Maria as a favourite worthy of a second chance? Gotta have a little controversy I guess.

Just my impression from last night: the old timers from many seasons gone by are not going to be especially successful this time around. They seem a little baffled by the style of play that is done now. And Spencer, Joe, Woo and others are game beasts and will be hard to beat.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:15 pm

I guess they weren't into yoga and the obnoxious way it was tying to be pushed upon them.  I would have been fine with Abi going home last night as well.

I think you are correct with the old timers - they are getting quite an eye opener.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:47 am

I'm good with Vytas going home. Didn't like him the first time and he wasn't any better the second time. It was funny what he said in his exit interview that he was good with him being viewed as a threat. Hah! His arrogant attitude won't let him believe that he was just annoying. At this early stage they keep the strong players even though they may have personality issues. Tells you how bad he is if they let him go first.

When they announced the players this season, for some reason Abi escaped my notice. Then as soon as she opened her mouth I remembered who she was. I agree with you, Lesallee. I am a bit suspicious that this season is supposed to be fan favorites. I can't imagine her being a favorite of anyone! Funny how she said she was going to come in trying to play a more social game then last time and in no time at all  pretty much everyone wants to get rid of her. That little smile of hers at the end when Vytas was sent packing made me laugh. Smile now while you can...it won't be long until you go too. lol

As to the old-timers not being as successful...It just goes to show you how different the game is compared to in the early days. Play has become much more ruthless then in the beginning. As long as the old-timers help win challenges, help out in camp, and be social and not a complete bitch (ahem...Abi) then I don't see too much of a problem with the others keeping them around. It's the weaker and annoying players that tend to go first. Then as the merge is coming they tend to want to get rid of the stronger players that will be hard to beat. Joe is a strong player and very well liked and on the first night my BF said that he just put a big target on his back.   
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:49 am

This is hard having Joe and Spencer on opposite sides.  I'm hoping they both go far but the targets are definitely huge.  There are a few that I can't remember at all.  Wonder who voted them in.  I guess to make the game more interesting, they probably gave us some of those either or choices in the voting pool. 

I had to watch the end to see who voted which way.  I hadn't been sure which way Spencer would have voted.  Guess it will be Abbie's time next tribal counsel.
beardiedawg
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Just read an interesting bit about Survivor, accessible from the Survivor fb page. After all this time and with other long running shows concluding Survivor is not only still going strong but winning the ratings game in their time slot. Jeff Probst says they aren't trying to attract new viewers but are concentrating on their loyal long time viewers. He says if they are happy the show is a success.

What a great philosophy, I wish DWTS subscribed to that instead of eternally pursuing the younger crowd.

ETA: to be fair DWTS natural audience skews older than the Survivor loyal viewers.

Last edited by Lesallee on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Lesallee wrote:Just read an interesting bit abut Survivor, accessible from the Survivor fb page. After all this time and with other long running shows concluding Survivor is not only still going strong but winning the ratings game in their time slot. Jeff Probst says they aren't trying to attract new viewers but are concentrating on their loyal long time viewers. He says if they are happy the show is a success.

What a great philosophy, I wish DWTS subscribed to that instead of eternally pursuing the younger crowd.
Amen to that!!!
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:17 am

I'm not liking Jeff Varner at all.  Why get rid of the good players so early in the game?  Why didn't they vote off Abi?   Boy I am getting a feeling this one is really going to be cut throat from the very beginning.  It will be interesting to see who ends up on the different teams now.  I hope to see Jeff get put down a peg or two. 
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:37 am

Personally I am glad to see the team shake up. So often lately one team gets on a losing streak right from the first and can't seem to halt the skid until the team is decimated. Mixing them up this early throws a monkey wrench into these early alliances and strategy will have to be re thought.

I'm not enraptured with Varner either nor can I see Abi changing her ways in any significant way.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:21 am

Oh don't get me wrong I am very glad they are splitting the teams up or else Spencer would have been the next one to go for sure.  I am just anxious to see how the new tribes shake out.  I hope that Jeff and Spencer don't end up on the same team.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:26 am

My take on the whole Jeff, Abi, Spencer, Shirin drama is regardless of what Jeff said, his targeting of Spencer and Shirin may have had less to do with them talking strategy early BUT more to do with taking out younger players one by one in the early stages.

Jeff is 49 yrs. old and he knows he can't keep up with the younger players so I think his plan is to get the odd men out (Abi and Terry) on board and talk a few others into siding with him and then he has the numbers. 

I don't feel sorry for Abi one bit and at 35 yrs. old she should grow the hell up and stop acting like a "mean girl" from high school. She has no excuse. And as to Terry, Jeff knows that him being the other old school player at 55 yrs. old that he would definitely jump on board. 

I think that Spencer's age alone scares Jeff. Woo is a strong younger player but maybe he was less of a personal threat to Jeff at the moment. What Shirin and Spencer was trying to say to Woo was just what probably most of us are thinking. Woo will be another early target of Jeff's because of his youth and physical endurance. It was aggravating that Woo only wanted to vote with the numbers.

Abi is an idiot. She comes right out and tells Shirin that they are planning on getting rid of her or Spencer. Her attitude in talking to Shirin was like a mean little kid that didn't get her way so now she wants to get even. All she is is a pawn for Jeff to use. I'm sure Jeff didn't give two craps that Abi was sitting alone sulking after some of the others were talking about her. She was easy pickings. You reap what you sew. She caused the whole thing. But what is interesting is that it was Peih-Gee who initiated making fun of Abi....but wasn't targeted for it. Jeff used it as a way to get rid of Shirin. I found Shirin annoying last season but she must have learned from her mistakes because she seemed different this time. 

The point to me is that targeting people that talk early about strategy is pretty narrow minded. What is this game about? Winning a million bucks, not let's make friends and sit around the fire singing Cumbaya. That may have been the old-school way but it's been many years since the older ones have been playing the game. Don't get me wrong, I don't like how totally cut-throat some of the last seasons have been but it is still the goal to win the game...and that includes alliances and talking strategy. 

Did you notice how Jeff and Terry were struggling to get over the hurdles in the immunity challenge. They are older and not as agile as the younger players and they were just as much to blame for their team loosing as much as Spencer and Shirin with the puzzle. I didn't notice Jeff stepping up to help with the puzzle.Maybe that was part of his plan. Let Spencer and Shirin fail at the puzzle and he could blame them for the loss and use that as a way for getting the others to get rid of them. Like they are a liability.

I was so glad that Jeff Probst announced at the end that they are splitting up into three teams. Hopefully that will break up Jeff's little plan. Hopefully that means that Abi will go back to being a target and Jeff will get tossed out for being a slow old man with a grudge.    
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:58 pm

Indeed  I agree with everything you said rkc.  Good insights!!
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:28 pm

It sort of worries me that several of my favourites haven't changed the way they played before. Joe, Woo and Spencer to name three. Although Spencer has declared he will change his approach. 

To me Cass is one who is using completely different tactics this time. From being that smirky, superior know it all she is keeping a much lower profile. Still don't much care for her but this persona is easier to take than her previous one.

Just as an aside: Shirin apparently told her tribe that Terry has an idol just before exiting. Not true but she was trying to protect Spencer. Wish they hadn't left that on the cutting room floor.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:37 pm

They haven't really showed much of Woo yet this season so I don't know how he is playing yet...besides siding with the majority instead of playing with his brain.

Joe is doing all these wonderful things for his tribe hoping they will want to keep him, but he is once again making himself a threat. Not good. They don't keep you because they LIKE you....they keep you because they think they can BEAT you. 

I personally don't know why Spencer is always targeted, unless it's because he has a brain. 

I'll have to wait until a little further into the season before I change my mind about Kass. She started out last season pretty low key but then turned into a total bitch later.
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:19 pm

I am hoping a castaway of the female persuasion wins my support as the men seem to dominate and I would like to see a woman win. Kelley Wentworth just may become that lady for me. She's smart - went out and found a clue to an idol while everyone else was milling around making small talk. Have to see how this plays out as the season progresses.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:10 am

I need some input.  I boycotted Survivor several years ago because it disturbs me to see bad behavior rewarded by a million bucks.  The backstabbing and deceit went against my grain.  Call me old-fashioned.

BUT... my grandson came to visit yesterday.  We used to discuss Survivor in depth.  He tells me this season would be more my cup of tea - that the oldsters are putting the kibosh on the things that turned my stomach, and I should watch.

I was considering it, but after reading these posts, I'm wondering if anything's changed.  Has it?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Singly, since they're only a couple of weeks in it is hard to tell what will happen. Yeah, there are a couple of older guys in particular that don't like how the game is being played now. However, they have only mentioned that strategy is being talked way to early in their opinion. They have not mentioned anything about backstabbing and deceit as of yet. But then again, these same older ones are the ones that have exhibited bad behavior so far.
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 am

Perhaps my grandson is trying to bring back our old debate over who's playing an honorable game.  lol.  I may tune in this week just to see if his assertions are wishful thinking.  He knows I like "old school."

My idea of Survivor was Tina running into that flooded river (stream?) to recover the lost tin of rice.  Ah, the good old days.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top