Big and Small Screens

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big and Small Screens Empty Big and Small Screens

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 pm

What movies or television shows are worthy of comment?

Last edited by Widder Woman on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Big and Small Screens Empty Re: Big and Small Screens

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:36 pm

I just saw Quartet yesterday starring, among others, Maggie Smith. It's a light comedy (or maybe dramady) about former opera singers and musicians who are now in a retirement home together. It's produced and directed by Dustin Hoffman.

There are some absolutely hilarious lines in it and, of course, Maggie Smith is utterly wonderful.

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:16 pm

The last movie I saw was Les Miserables. I thought it was fantastic. I loved the music, the acting was good, and even though it was a long movie, it moved along quickly.
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:36 pm

USN, I saw it, too. However, I didn't really want to know that much about the inside of Hugh Jackman's left nostril. Wink

I'm kidding. I've loved the music for years, and the movie was outstanding.

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:09 am

LOL!!! I'm glad I missed that scene, WW!

I have, too. Yes, the movie was outstanding! I also loved the book. It is my favorite.
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:09 am

I thought Downton Abbey was one of the best shows on TV. Maggie Smith was phenomenal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:12 am

Reindeer, I love Downton Abbey, too. But why are you putting it in the past tense? Season 4 is in the works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 am

Meant "is phenomenal". With Sybil and Matthew gone, I sure hope no one else will be departing next season. Do you know when Season 4 will air? I hope we don't have to wait until next January.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:29 am

I've heard two things about when it will air: First, January. The second, though, was that the producers were in conversations with PBS about airing it earlier, perhaps when England gets to see it (fall through Christmas). I hope we get it when England does.

I wonder why their seasons are so short. Eight or nine weeks? Ours run 20 weeks or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 am

I missed the first two seasons so I checked them out of the library so I could be all caught up and ready to go for season 3. Was I disappointed when it was over in two months. Hopefully we will get season 4 in the fall.

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 am

I have meant to watch Downton Abbey, but never got around to it. I guess I could catch up with it on line.
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:52 am

Yes, USN, and you should start from the beginning. It would be hard to pick it up at this point without knowing what has already happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 am

Oh yea, I would definitely start at the beginning, WW. I could probably watch all of the episodes on Hulu.
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 am

I absolutely love the Good Wife which is on Sunday nights. IMO, it's the best show in t.v.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 am

Oooops, "on" t.v. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:19 am

Hi USN....You will love Downton Abbey...When I got all the dvd's from the library I could not stop watching. The acting is great and the story line even better. I also love the clothes of that time. Enjoy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Doll Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm a huge fan of well-written dramas, which are becoming increasingly hard to find in network lineups loaded with reality TV shows.

My current faves include: Scandal, Southland (on TNT), Chicago Fire, the recently canceled Last Resort (love Andre Braugher), The Good Wife, Law and Order SVU (but I admit I've seen few eps since Det. Elliot Stabler left the the show, CSI, Mad Men...most often basically anything having to do with medicine, politics, law enforcement/prosecution. I like having my brain tested and my emotions poked.

I adore a good comedy, too, but there hasn't been one lately, like a Frazier, that has been "must see TV" for me.
Party Doll
Party Doll

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:48 am

sdreindeer wrote:Hi USN....You will love Downton Abbey...When I got all the dvd's from the library I could not stop watching. The acting is great and the story line even better. I also love the clothes of that time. Enjoy!

Hey Rein! How are you? I'll be sure to check out the show.
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:09 am

Party Doll wrote:I'm a huge fan of well-written dramas, which are becoming increasingly hard to find in network lineups loaded with reality TV shows.

My current faves include: Scandal, Southland (on TNT), Chicago Fire, the recently canceled Last Resort (love Andre Braugher), The Good Wife, Law and Order SVU (but I admit I've seen few eps since Det. Elliot Stabler left the the show, CSI, Mad Men...most often basically anything having to do with medicine, politics, law enforcement/prosecution. I like having my brain tested and my emotions poked.

I adore a good comedy, too, but there hasn't been one lately, like a Frazier, that has been "must see TV" for me.

I love Scandal, SVU, Chicago Fire, and CSI, Party Doll. I watched the first 3 episodes of Last Resort, but couldn't get into it. I love Andre Braugher on SVU. I also like Grey's Anatomy.

I agree with you about the comedies.

Last edited by USN on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 am

Hello USN....I'm good thanks. Learning how this board works. Takes me a little longer as I'm not as computer literate as most of the posters. I like SVU as well. Another really good show is Homeland which is on Showtime. Just got Season 1 from the library and my husband and I were literally on the edge of our seats. It has it all, drama, mystery, politics, intrigue. I like being able to sit down and watch a couple hours at a time with no commercials. Only thing, now I have to wait until season 2 is released. We've had so much snow and bad weather this last month so it was nice having these shows to watch. Hope you are doing well and getting some time with your new little grandchild.

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Doll Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:37 pm

USN wrote:I love Sandal, SVU, Chicago Fire, and CSI, Party Doll. I watched the first 3 episodes of Last Resort, but couldn't get into it. I love Andre Braugher on SVU. I also like Grey's Anatomy.

I LOVED Last Resort; I thought it was great---but I am partial to the show runner/creator/writer, Shawn Ryan, who grew up outside Chicago. The Shield, Chicago Code are his, and he also produced The Unit, Lie To Me and Terriers. I also liked Grey's and Private Practice when they first came out---I think Scandal is Shondra's best work yet. I like Homeland, too, (got hooked while enjoying 3 free months of ShowTime and HBO, but no longer get them Sad )
Party Doll
Party Doll

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 am

sdreindeer wrote:Hello USN....I'm good thanks. Learning how this board works. Takes me a little longer as I'm not as computer literate as most of the posters. I like SVU as well. Another really good show is Homeland which is on Showtime. Just got Season 1 from the library and my husband and I were literally on the edge of our seats. It has it all, drama, mystery, politics, intrigue. I like being able to sit down and watch a couple hours at a time with no commercials. Only thing, now I have to wait until season 2 is released. We've had so much snow and bad weather this last month so it was nice having these shows to watch. Hope you are doing well and getting some time with your new little grandchild.

Hi Rein! HA!! I'm not computer literate either. There are somethings that I can figure out on my own, but there is so much that I need help with.

I would probably watch Homeland, if we had Showtime. Do you ever watch the SVU marathons on the USA network?

Thanks, I'm doing well. Actually, I'm getting a ton of time with him. My d-i-l just went back to work after maternity leave, so I'm staying with them until the end of the school year. She's a teacher.
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 am

Party Doll wrote:
USN wrote:I love Sandal, SVU, Chicago Fire, and CSI, Party Doll. I watched the first 3 episodes of Last Resort, but couldn't get into it. I love Andre Braugher on SVU. I also like Grey's Anatomy.

I LOVED Last Resort; I thought it was great---but I am partial to the show runner/creator/writer, Shawn Ryan, who grew up outside Chicago. The Shield, Chicago Code are his, and he also produced The Unit, Lie To Me and Terriers. I also liked Grey's and Private Practice when they first came out---I think Scandal is Shondra's best work yet. I like Homeland, too, (got hooked while enjoying 3 free months of ShowTime and HBO, but no longer get them Sad )

I just started watching Grey's a few years ago, so I'm not familiar with the original episodes. I agree, Scandal is Sondra's best work.

Did you watch West Wing?
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Rein! HA!! I'm not computer literate either. There are somethings that I can figure out on my own, but there is so much that I need help with.

I would probably watch Homeland, if we had Showtime. Do you ever watch the SVU marathons on the USA network?

Thanks, I'm doing well. Actually, I'm getting a ton of time with him. My d-i-l just went back to work after maternity leave, so I'm staying with them until the end of the school year. She's a teacher.[/quote]

Hi USN....I do watch the SVU marathons. I like it because there are so many episodes the same ones don't get run over and over. I know everyone loves Scandal, but I missed the first season so when I tune into the show I feel lost, plus they talk so fast it drives me crazy. I also really like House Hunters International just to see different parts of the world and how people live. History channel is another good one.

How nice you get to spend so much time with your grandson and he doesn't have to go to a sitter at such a young age. Just think, he keeps you young. But I have a hunch you will probably be ready for a break by early summer. Take care and enjoy the little one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 pm

I love the Shows Revenge, The Voice, Greys Anatomy, Survivor, Criminal Minds, and Point of Interest.

Now do not laugh at these ..I also Like The Housewifes of Orange County and New Jersey plus I am a Glee geek I love musicals and I love Lea Micheles Voice. I usually DVR these so when i am board I can watch them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum