Week 7, Season 23, "Eras Night"

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 7, Season 23, "Eras Night" - Page 3 Empty Re: Week 7, Season 23, "Eras Night"

Post by Lesallee Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Oh Psychee, you know that my brother DMD was just having a little fun. He likes Derek well enough but for years we were bombarded with "all a team needs to win is Derek Hough on it". 

Doesn't Jimmy Buffet say, "If we couldn't laugh we'd just all go insane"?
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Week 7, Season 23, "Eras Night" - Page 3 Empty Re: Week 7, Season 23, "Eras Night"

Post by Psychee22 Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Lesallee wrote:Oh Psychee, you know that my brother DMD was just having a little fun. He likes Derek well enough but for years we were bombarded with "all a team needs to win is Derek Hough on it". 

But that wasn't EVER Derek's fault.  He was always embarrassed by it!  He was happier than anyone else when he finally lost and they could stop saying that crap.   So, it isn't funny to snicker at him when things go wrong for him, anymore than it is funny to snicker when things go wrong for anyone else. 

I'd understand if the humor was directed at TPTB,  a la "guess they can't pull that Derek always win crap anymore" -- THAT is something that I could join in and laugh at.  The producers are the ones at fault for that irritant, which must have felt like salt in the wounds for everyone else.   But to just enjoy the fact that the guy had a really bad day feels ... mean.  Like hitting a guy when he's already down.

And I'm not mad at Deadie... I understand he was attempting to be light-heartedly humorous... but if I don't tell him that it pains me to read stuff like that, who will?  And if no one gives feedback, when will it stop?

Soapbox I'll get off the soapbox now...
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:36 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:Disco and Samba can actually be a perfect match, remember?

That was so much fun to re-watch.  Very Happy
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:31 pm

What did Gleb say to Len?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Len, predictably wasn't fond of Jana's and Gleb's Samba. You know the refrain, not enough Samba content, too much messing about, etc. Gleb took exception and argued there was lots of Samba content in a song that was fundamentally a Disco song. Len didn't like hearing that and told Gleb he should know better. I think Len has one of his periodic "I don't really like young, handsome and talented dancers" snits toward Gleb. This is likely carried over from last season's Strictly in the U.K. 

Anyway, later, backstage, Gleb said DWTS is not a serious dance competition but is an entertainment TV show and requires the pros to design entertaining dances more than by the book structured ballroom dances. Gleb is actually quite correct but probably should have kept it to himself as a lot of people reacted with high dudgeon. That's about it.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:12 pm

I believe a few other pro have said that exact thing also.I think each season Len gives that same spiel to someone ... Very Happy
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:54 pm

Oh yeah, I remember Gleb making that remark about the show being an entertainment show and then I remember Jana's reaction, like she was laughing but she couldn't believe he said that.  It didn't seem too bad.  I don't know if it was worse than Len's disagreements with the other pros.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Psychee22 wrote:
Lesallee wrote:Oh Psychee, you know that my brother DMD was just having a little fun. He likes Derek well enough but for years we were bombarded with "all a team needs to win is Derek Hough on it". 

But that wasn't EVER Derek's fault.  He was always embarrassed by it!  He was happier than anyone else when he finally lost and they could stop saying that crap.   So, it isn't funny to snicker at him when things go wrong for him, anymore than it is funny to snicker when things go wrong for anyone else. 

I'd understand if the humor was directed at TPTB,  a la "guess they can't pull that Derek always win crap anymore" -- THAT is something that I could join in and laugh at.  The producers are the ones at fault for that irritant, which must have felt like salt in the wounds for everyone else.   But to just enjoy the fact that the guy had a really bad day feels ... mean.  Like hitting a guy when he's already down.

And I'm not mad at Deadie... I understand he was attempting to be light-heartedly humorous... but if I don't tell him that it pains me to read stuff like that, who will?  And if no one gives feedback, when will it stop?

Soapbox I'll get off the soapbox now...
Psychee, my sister got it right of course. I thought the reference to the producers rubbing that in our faces was so obvious I that I could cut it short. Heck, I even added an emoticon so no one would take it too serious!What really bothers me though is that you accuse me of Schadenfreude. Call me outspoken, snarky, even sarcastic at times, and I won't object. That's the European in me. But one thing I've never been is schadenfroh. Just to remind you: I've had nothing but nice comments about Team Hennergy, and by no means have I ever been pleased if anyone takes a dip- regardless of the pro. Speaking of the pros, it was particularly unnecessary to point out that Val- not Derek- was responsible for the DESASTER of Team Future getting three points less. If I was the touchy kind of Chmerkovskiy fan, what would I make of that? (Caution, Deadie gets ironic.) Having said that, I suggest we forget about it. I'm too heavy for a soapbox anyway.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:17 pm

The Gleb/Len discord dates to Strictly. SCD has survived as a more traditional ballroom show than DWTS and Len wants to keep it that way. He savaged many of Gleb's routines last year for straying too far away from tradition. With the vast TV programming available and the smaller ballroom following in the US, DWTS would not have survived if it had not provided more entertaining numbers. Nevertheless, I do think that Gleb could have incorporated more samba steps in the first half of his routine and avoided the lifts in the middle. Sharna's disco samba with Nick is an excellent example of entertaining choreography with a recognizable dance style.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Delete 

Last edited by Glittersisgld on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:49 pm

bailadora wrote:The Gleb/Len discord dates to Strictly. SCD has survived as a more traditional ballroom show than DWTS and Len wants to keep it that way. He savaged many of Gleb's routines last year for straying too far away from tradition. With the vast TV programming available  and the smaller ballroom following in the US, DWTS would not have survived if it had not provided more entertaining numbers. Nevertheless, I do think that Gleb could have incorporated more samba steps in the first half of his routine and avoided the lifts in the middle. Sharna's disco samba with Nick is an excellent example of entertaining choreography with a recognizable dance style.
It's not even so much about Gleb as a person. Len thinks new pros- especially the male ones- need to be reigned in. He did the same with Giovanni Pernice last season.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top