Initial thoughts BEFORE show airs

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Initial thoughts BEFORE show airs  Empty Initial thoughts BEFORE show airs

Post by victorian3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi fellow dance lovers. SLA convinced me to post some thoughts as she thinks my dance experience qualifies me[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. So here are ome thoughts based SOLELY on reading bios, and looking at still, not video, pix of first rehearsals.
*If just looking at careers matters, and it does help, certain people haveto know how to control their bodies. This will give them a head start. Those people would be Alexandra (gymnast), Dorothy (skater), Jacoby Jones (football star), Victor Ortiz (boxing champ). They also have the stamina needed to endure long hours of hard training and we all know how difficult that is and many injuries can be sustained from the practice.
Also, some actor/actresses, singers, know how to move. That may also add Kellie,Zendaya and Ingo to the list (what nationality is he)?
* From looking at the stills, and mind you, there is no movement so I am just looking at form, posture, hand and foot placement, it seems that:
Andy Pick is a disaster
kellie Pickler has great form and posture, incredible leg extension, and correct arm/finger placement. She looks like a natural.
Sean, yesm our dear Sean, looks uncomfortable with it all. he is copying what he sees but it is new to him and has to be processed. remember, this is just from pix and they are all on the very first day of rehearsal.
Lisa is not feeling it.
Jacoby Jones has bad posture and needs work on his frame
Victor has incorrect hand extension
Dorothy Hamill has limp arms (aka Dirty Dancing "spaghetti arms") and also is bent sideways instead of straight up
Zendaya has good prospects, have to wait and see.
THAT'S IT FOR NOW.
One hour and 6 minutes to go on the east coast. (Seems to me that many of you on the west coast:
Am I correct? Don't want to post later if you are all 3 hours behind me.
Enjoy the show:bounce:
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Initial thoughts BEFORE show airs  Empty Re: Initial thoughts BEFORE show airs

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Dorothy Hamill is known to have osteoarthritis, and was once a spokesperson for Vioxx, a now-banned arthritis drug. Perhaps this explains why she is "bent sideways." Knowing her personality and drive, she is going to give DWTS a run for its money.

Victorian3-this is not a criticism of what you wrote, just an explanation!!

And poor Sean; I think this is way out of his comfort zone.....

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Great little critique vic3. Don't worry about us on the West Coast because there couldn't be any spoiler tonight anyway and it may just give us something to watch for when it comes on here. I'm worried about Sean but am really looking forward to seeing Kellie dance. I think pairing her with Derek is good and that they will be fun to watch! I am looking forward to your critique after the show tonight. :bounce:
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 pm

newto the boards wrote:Dorothy Hamill is known to have osteoarthritis, and was once a spokesperson for Vioxx, a now-banned arthritis drug. Perhaps this explains why she is "bent sideways." Knowing her personality and drive, she is going to give DWTS a run for its money.

I agree with you on Sean - I'm afraid it may just be a bit too far outside of his box. Boy I hope he proves us wrong!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:29 pm

SLA44 wrote:Great little critique vic3. Don't worry about us on the West Coast because there couldn't be any spoiler tonight anyway and it may just give us something to watch for when it comes on here. I'm worried about Sean but am really looking forward to seeing Kellie dance. I think pairing her with Derek is good and that they will be fun to watch! I am looking forward to your critique after the show tonight. :bounce:

Let me echo SLA's comments. I, too, am a West Coastie. If I don't want something spoiled, I won't look. I'd love to see your comments on the show as soon as I'm through watching it, though, so I hope you won't wait to post them just because we're three hours behind you.

Thanks for your initial peek at them. I tend to root for the athletes because they, as you noted, are people who are used to making their bodies do things they might not want to do, and have the stamina to endure long hours of training. As for Sean, he did play college football, so maybe some of that is still with him.

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:54 pm

newto the boards wrote:Dorothy Hamill is known to have osteoarthritis, and was once a spokesperson for Vioxx, a now-banned arthritis drug. Perhaps this explains why she is "bent sideways." Knowing her personality and drive, she is going to give DWTS a run for its money.

Thanks for telling me about Dorothy's condition. It didn't look like osteo in the pic throght...unless she always tilts to the side. If she has osteo, this show will be too much for her. She will be risking serious injury and will have to really take it easy. That will lead to simplified routines and they don't get one too far:(
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks SLA and WW. As of now, pre show by 5 minutes, Kellie looks like she will go far. More later. I'll post after the show.
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Quick update as intros are over and tv is now on "pause".
Dorithy is standing upright. Her tilting in the dance pic was more like a "I'm a little teapot short and stout" tilt, not an osteo tilt:)
Watch for Jacoby's upper body shimmy as he walks down the stairs. That will be great in the Latin dances.
Sean is in a red glitter tux jacket.
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 pm

PS They added a contemporary dance to this year's agenda of dances. That is totally different from ballroom dancing--it's what you may have seen on "So You Thin You Can Dance". Difficult to do.
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:32 pm

victorian3 wrote:PS They added a contemporary dance to this year's agenda of dances. That is totally different from ballroom dancing--it's what you may have seen on "So You Thin You Can Dance". Difficult to do.

Kelly and Val did one last season and I thought they did a fantastic job - it was a first for DWTS. Did you see it vic3? If so what did you think of it?
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Kelly and Val's dance was HOT !!! So very HOT!!!! I videoed it on my phone so that I can look at it whenever I need inspiration.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Only kidding, no I'm not. HOT! Did a great job though but judges underwhelmed--well, Len. He's very conservative and the water and lack of clothing was a bit too much for him. Not to mention the dance was supposed to be a Flamenco (not contemporary as you said). There wasn't much Flamenco in there.

Last edited by victorian3 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 pm

victorian3 wrote:Kelly and Val's dance was HOT !!! So very HOT!!!! I videoed it on my phone so that I can look at it whenever I need inspiration.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Only kidding, no I'm not. HOT! Did a great job though but judges underwhelmed--well, Len. He's very conservative and the water and lack of clothing was a bit too much for him. Not to mention the dance was supposed to be a Flamenco (not contemporary as you said). There wasn't much Flamenco in there.

I think that was my favorite dance of last season and yes it was HOT!!!! It was supposed to be a contemporary where did the flamenco come from - what is this layman missing here? I watched the youtube video of it several times and now I will have to look it up again!
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Loved Dorothy Hamill's dance...not the best so far, but she is just such a beautiful person. Kelly Pickler was great, especially for the first night...she danced like a pro!!

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:54 pm

sdreindeer wrote:Loved Dorothy Hamill's dance...not the best so far, but she is just such a beautiful person. Kelly Pickler was great, especially for the first night...she danced like a pro!!

I still have a little over an hour to wait yet - I saw where Kellie dances first and I don't want to miss her. Sean doesn't dance until 7th so I'm going to have a long wait! What kind of dance did Kellie and Dorothy do? I know Sean is supposed to do the Fox Trot.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:57 pm

GRRR!!! It happened again. I just finished composing my post and then someone else's appeared --SLA you hit "send" before I did. Then I watched mine go POOF in the box as screen returned to top of thread's page. Why does it do this!! Now I have to write it ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Evil or Very Mad
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 pm

SLA44 wrote:
sdreindeer wrote:Loved Dorothy Hamill's dance...not the best so far, but she is just such a beautiful person. Kelly Pickler was great, especially for the first night...she danced like a pro!!

I still have a little over an hour to wait yet - I saw where Kellie dances first and I don't want to miss her. Sean doesn't dance until 7th so I'm going to have a long wait! What kind of dance did Kellie and Dorothy do? I know Sean is supposed to do the Fox Trot.

Kelly did the Cha-Cha, Dorothy the Contemporary and loved Jacoby who did cha-cha. Amazing that these giant athletes can dance the way they do. Sean did better than I expected, needs to loosen up somewhat.

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Again:
Re: Alexandra dance
The judges gave Alex three 7's, which are the same scores that kellie Pickler received. Kellie's dance was terrific; it was well executed, sexy, great posture, footwork well done, arms correctly placed. Alex's dance nainly was comprised of wiggling which was the choreographer's choice. There was very little chacha in hold (closed) position. When she did do that it was not good. She really should not have gotten any higher than 6, maybe 6.5 if being generous. She does not compare with Kellie. The judges influence how the viewers vote. This really irks me. Viewer beware!
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:19 pm

victorian3 wrote:GRRR!!! It happened again. I just finished composing my post and then someone else's appeared --SLA you hit "send" before I did. Then I watched mine go POOF in the box as screen returned to top of thread's page. Why does it do this!! Now I have to write it ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Evil or Very Mad

Victorian, look carefully at that screen that tells you someone else has posted. It puts that post on the screen, wants you to read it, then asks you if you still want to post yours. If you say "Yes," then it posts.

In other words, it gives you a chance to change your mind if the other person's new post makes a difference in what you want to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 pm

victorian3 wrote:Again:
Re: Alexandra dance
The judges gave Alex three 7's, which are the same scores that kellie Pickler received. Kellie's dance was terrific; it was well executed, sexy, great posture, footwork well done, arms correctly placed. Alex's dance nainly was comprised of wiggling which was the choreographer's choice. There was very little chacha in hold (closed) position. When she did do that it was not good. She really should not have gotten any higher than 6, maybe 6.5 if being generous. She does not compare with Kellie. The judges influence how the viewers vote. This really irks me. Viewer beware!

I'm not surprised they just showed the Las Vegas odds and Alexandra is favored to win 5 to 1! I am really starting to think that this show is really determined by TPTB and not the votes. Also you can almost tell by the judges critiques and scores who the chosen one of the season is - it really showed during the All Star season. It is so disappointing!
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 pm

I am going to say something here that y'all may disagree with. I think that over the years DWTS has gotten more and more sexual with the dance moves, comments by the judges and costumes. I do love seeing the different outfits the pros and stars wear each week and especially like seeing someone who is not such a good dancer to begin with, get better and better each week. For example, I thought Kelly Osborne transformed as a person on this show. However, I do think think that there should be an age requirement of 18. What really struck a cord with me was tonight when Val and Zenyada (who is only 16) were in a practice session, Val said something like "I'm not going to make any dance move exceptions just because of her age". Yes, this is only dance and I'm sure some would call it a form of art. However, I just think there is something not right with a 30 year old man and a 16 year old girl dancing the same moves that a woman would dance. We have seen in the past where some of the pros and stars have became involved and what's to say that this would not happen between them. They do spend day in and day out together, with a lot of physical closeness, so it's understandable how a relationship could develop. I think Val should consider her age and practice/dance appropriately. I'm really not a prude, and if the show had not gotten so sexual in every which way, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think it was what Val said that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 am

Sorry SLA but got too tired to post any more thoughts than what I already said. It's midnight for me and I'm working tomorrow. I'll get to it tomorrow. Only one thing is easy as it is brief-the two who have it to make it to the end are definitely Zenaya and kellie (if she does okay with smooth ballroom dances). As of tonight they are the two best dancers with the best form and most potential.

@rein You're right about the show getting more sexual. However, the Latin dances ARE sexual in nature and many of the moves are supposed to look sizzling hot and steamy whe done correctly! In actuality nothing is happening; they are just suggestive. In a regular ballroom, dancers may not do those moves as they often need to be practiced with a regular partner--which is what DWTS is all about. AND, don't forget, ABC is all about ratings. Also, Zenaya is underage and I think Val, even if contemplating a liason with her, would not want a lawsuit.
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am

I see what you are saying Victorian but she's a kid. Jumping on the judges desk in front of Len throwing up her legs for the world to see. Even though the sensual movements are part of the dance, I still believe there should be an age limit. The judges comments, all of it....too adult for a 16 year old. Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 am

You are right rein. I agree. Actually, I feel that they shouldn't have such young people on the show. Honestly, I think 21 would be a good age to start. Even 18 is a bit young--maybe not by today's standards, but my mine and yours, too, I guess.
Additionally, it really is not fair to pit some much older "stars" (50's and 60's) against the young ones who are more limber. They do it to cover all demographics.
If you reply I will see it later--have to go to work today.
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:04 pm

victorian3 wrote:You are right rein. I agree. Actually, I feel that they shouldn't have such young people on the show. Honestly, I think 21 would be a good age to start. Even 18 is a bit young--maybe not by today's standards, but my mine and yours, too, I guess.
Additionally, it really is not fair to pit some much older "stars" (50's and 60's) against the young ones who are more limber. They do it to cover all demographics.
If you reply I will see it later--have to go to work today.

I give credit to the older stars. I couldn't be as good as the worst one. And yes, I also think they are trying to cover all demographics. I usually cheer for the underdog if they show some promise and have the drive to get better and better. I also would like it if they did not have stars that have dance experience or dancing is their career. That really gives them a huge edge. What I would like to see, which would really make it more of a true competition, is if the stars had very little dance experience. Like I said before, I loved Kelly Osborne. She had this reputation of being this bratty girl and she really couldn't dance much at first. Not only did she dedicate herself to the show, but she came out a good dancer and transformed into a nice young lady. She even attributes the show to changing her life. But then again, sometimes the winner is really not the best, but has the most fans. I do enjoy watching the show and am always amazed how some of them can learn to dance like a pro in such a short time. Flower

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:14 pm

@ rein Glad I'm home--tiring day! Just checked to see if you wrote back and you did.
Again, I agree with you and on both points. I, too, would rather see "stars" with little to no dance experience and watch them grow and progress. And, IF that is what they have, then they shouldn't mix in people who have the expereience. it's not equitable. When they do that, the experienced "star" and the pro come off almost like two pos. NOT FAIR. Yes, Kelly O. is a great example. I also loved Kirstie Alley.
I route for the underdog if they start with limited experience and work hard and progress. Sean doesn't have experience and I can see how hard he worked just to put that all together. All of them worked hard but the ones who struggle most are the ones without experience. Not only do they have to completely memorize a 90 minute routine, but also they have to concentrate on so many aspects at once--how to hold your arms, where to place your feet, is it toe or heel, is there rise and fall, is one knee bent, do I tilt my head left/right or not at all, do I cross in front or in back etc. It's not easy. I've danced for so long and it still is not easy...especially when I don''t go for long periods and forget some of the important variations.
Getting older makes it so much harder. Your mind may grasp it and your body responds but you just can't quite do it as it hurts. SDpeed is also sacrificed, especially if one is not only oldee but also overweight (like Wynonna last night).
I give them all credit though because it is not easy and the show is LIVE!!! remember when Karina fell last year--she was nortified and frozen and didn't know what to do. Her partner had to help her.

BTW, I LOVED Gilles Marini. He id not have dance experience but knew how to move--he really felt it.
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top