Season 20 - Week 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Season 20 - Week 6 Empty Season 20 - Week 6

Post by SLA44 Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:24 pm

Ftom BuddyTV:

[size=30]'Dancing with the Stars' Week 6 Spoilers: Spring Break Songs and Styles 
Thursday, April 16, 2015[/size]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
John Kubicek
Senior Writer, BuddyTV
Add as BuddyTV Friend »

Email

It's Spring Break time on Dancing with the Stars and the eight remaining couples will each dance twice, including the team round. While celebrating Spring Break is a solid theme, I'm not sure what qualifies as Spring Break music. In fact, a lot of these song choices seem more like summer vacation.

However, I must admit that the songs "Tequila' and "Bootylicious" do remind me of a 2002 wet t-shirt contest in Fort Lauderdale, so perhaps it will all make sense. Here are the dance tracks, surf songs and other Spring Break tunes the couples will perform to in week 6.

Jive
-Patti LaBelle and Artem Chigvintsev: "Heatwave" by Martha and the Vandellas
-Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson: "Surfin' Safari" by the Beach Boys

Jazz
-Rumer Willis and Val Chmerkovskiy: "Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child

Rumba
-Noah Galloway and Sharna Burgess: "Waves" by Mr. Probz

Salsa
-Willow Shields and Mark Ballas: "Tequila" by Xavier Cougat

Samba
-Riker Lynch and Allison Holker: "Work It" by Missy Elliott

Tango
-Nastia Liukin and Derek Hough: "Summer" by Calvin Harris

Viennese Waltz
-Chris Soules and Witney Carson: "Hopelessly Devoted to You" by Olivia Newton-John

Team YOLO
-Nastia and Derek, Willow and Mark, Noah and Sharna, Robert and Kym: "Wipeout" by the Surfaris

Team Trouble
-Rumer and Val, Riker and Allison, Patti and Artem, Chris and Witney: "Trouble" by Iggy Azalea featuring Jennifer Hudson

The Jive might be problematic for Patti and Robert and I couldn't care less about Chris and Witney's cheeseball song. Rumer and Riker score major points with me since "Work It" and "Bootylicious" were two awesome songs from my days in college.

I'm not sure if a song titled "Tequila" is appropriate for a 14-year-old (and I'm scared that Mark will dress up like Pee-wee Herman). Though I'm not sure how a song titled "Summer" qualifies for Spring Break Week, I can already imagine that song going perfectly with a Derek Hough Tango. That might be the one to beat, maybe even getting the first perfect score of the season, especially if they can find redemption since Len Goodman wasn't a fan of their Argentine Tango two weeks ago.

Which song and style are you most excited about for the Spring Break Special on Dancing with the Stars season 20? See all of the performances Monday, April 20 at 8pm on ABC.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Season 20 - Week 6 Empty Re: Season 20 - Week 6

Post by SLA44 Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Just my personal opinion but to me it looks like Team YOLO has the strongest (best?) contestants on it.  Guess I will see Monday night. 
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:27 am

The two problems for YOLO are the rapid beat of Wipeout and having to simplify for Noah.  It'll be interesting to see what Derek and Mark come up with in the way of choreography.

I'll have to mute Iggy Azalea *shudder,* so I'm less likely to enjoy this dance.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:53 am

No doubt in my mind that YOLO has the better chances.  Rumer and Riker should be fine.  Patti is limited in movement, and Chris is bound to be the weakest link.  Robert is not the greatest dancer, but he brings out the joy and is so much fun to watch.  Noah may actually be easier to choreograph for if they can find a creative way to have him mostly standing.   Fast movement would be, I think, extremely hard for him.

I suspect we will see a very slow jive from Patti.  Robert may well be messy in his steps, but I expect he will have a lot of fun with the dance.  Chris may actually be able to handle the VW if Witney keeps it simple.  The rest should be good, I think, although I'm not sure if I really think Willow can handle a salsa.  Have we seen her do anything really upbeat yet?

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:39 am

mustang, are you familiar with Wipeout?  That instrumental is incredibly fast.  I'm not familiar with Trouble.  But I know Iggy does rap with Jennifer doing the singing parts.  Do people actually dance to rap?  It should be interesting to see the choreo they come up with for both numbers.  Each team consists of two top dancers and two whose time is limited.

Willow and upbeat?  All I remember is the painted faces - tango? - Ninja costume - ??, and bunny suit - ??  Mark's costuming lingers long after the dances are over.  My aversion grows.

Chris and the waltz?  I've heard contestants say the waltz is more difficult than they expected.  For Chris, this may be a problem.  Rise and fall along with the steps?  One can only hope Alfonso left a "fun" impression on him in regard to learning.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:47 am

I am very familiar with "Wipeout."  One of my favorite songs as a teen/early 20-something.  Great song.  Smile  By contrast, I'm pretty sure the words "great" and "Iggy Azalea" will never appear in a sentence together outside of this one.  :\  I don't know the song, but I've yet to hear one I thought was worth listening to, so I'm betting they got hosed with this song choice. 

We'll see if Derek changes his go-to formula of military-style precision for the group dance.  Personally, I'm bored with it at this point. He's used that for the last 2 or 3 group dances as well as Bethany's freestyle last year.  It seems to be his "thing" right now.  He's done some really creative choreography in the past in the group dances, but not the last couple of years.  Too much same-old same-old.  It'll be interesting to see if Derek and Mark have trouble working together since they are very different stylistically right now or if Mark will simply defer to Derek as the "never lost a team dance" leader.  I'm thinking that a team dance almost begs for Mark's creativity and over-the-top costuming.  That would be really fun.  Not so much if Derek goes for the 'sychronicity is king' stuff. 

You could be right about Chris and the waltz.  I was thinking it might be easier for him because it's slower and could be kept very simple and classic.  But contestants have said that it's harder just because it's slower, and mistakes in footwork tend to jump out.  Technique is more important, which he doesn't seem to have.  And since he probably has trouble walking and chewing gum, rise and fall and steps might be more than he can handle.  I don't expect him to be good, but I had initially thought it might be a better dance for him.  Not so sure now that's correct thinking.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:08 pm

I forgot to mention - rumor has it there will be no elimination this week.  If true, it means we're doomed to have Chris around for another week. 

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:17 am

Just quickly because I have to get ready for work - Team Trouble was ROBBED!!!  Seriously.  That was ridiculous.  I love "Wipeout," and that was a fun number, so there was no way I didn't enjoy it.  But Team YOLO was somewhat messy and several times out of sync.  Team Trouble had a great concept, they all danced it well, and they were much more together than Team YOLO.  I suppose I should be grateful that the show deigned to tie them with Team Derek, but I'm not.  Team Trouble was the clear winner of the team dances, and they didn't get that satisfaction or the bragging rights of having beaten Team Derek.  That's just wrong.  I would have given Team YOLO no more than 9s.  I'm not sure Team Trouble actually deserved all 10s, but given that Team YOLO got a 39, then Team Trouble should have gotten a 40.  This was just a blatant fix on the part of the show to keep Derek 'unbeaten.'  Go away, Derek!!  Seriously, just go the frick away.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:24 am

I agree about the teams.  YOLO reminded me of every beach movie of the 60's.  Dancers who were supposed to be teens, dancing as I'd seen NO teen dance.  I hated those movies then, and I was turned off now.  Needless to say, I was unimpressed with YOLO.  Team Trouble was great.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for the other dances:

Patti was passable.

Nastia:    Again, with the connection???  And Len slamming the speed?  Should they have danced out of time?  Give them correct music, dammit.

Willow:  I was completely aware of her gaping mouth of feigned surprise during most of the number.  And her shimmy was bad.  Noticed a couple of breaks.  Without his outlandish costuming to distract, flaws were more noticeable.

Robert:  Again, with a gaping mouth.  He's now in over his head.  This was pretty bad.

Noah:  The swaying hips looked good, when he did it.  Didn't seem he actually moved all that much.  He, too, is in over his head but not in as deep as Robert.

Rumer:  It didn't look much like jazz and I think Val was out of his element with this one.  But the girl can move.

Chris:  His best yet.  Didn't he learn the waltz for Jade's Cinderella date on the Bach?

Riker:  That was a two-day miracle for choreo and learning.  The boy can move.  Kudos to Allison for taking a stand on Riker's image.

More of these pros and contestants should fight for songs that fit the dance.  It's DWTS, not Challenge the Pro.  If the music had been appropriate for Nastia, Len couldn't have objected to speed.  In any given week, some are at a disadvantage because of music.  Isn't there a whole list of songs that have been cleared of copyright for one use?  They ought to have a full library by now.  These damned "theme weeks" need to be a little broader, perhaps.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:12 am

Here is a link to some information on the 10th Anniversary Show that will be broadcast next Tuesday 4/28.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Just now catching up with this week's show.

I also thought Team Trouble was robbed. I understand why they picked Nastia as the leader for Team Yolo but with her and Derek being gone all week that made it difficult for the other members of the team. I think their dances looked more sloppy and unrehearsed than Team Trouble and yet they still tied. The fix was in on that one.

I think from here on out it's going to be just picking off the dancers that have went as far as they can go in this competition. They might improve with a particular dance, like Chris but to improve in every dance at this point is not going to happen. I'm assuming that either Robert, Chris or Noah will be the ones to go with the double elimination next week and then the one left will go the following week. I may be wrong but I think Rumor, Nastia, Riker, and possibly Willow will be the finale four.

Nastia's dance was nice but whoever picked that music was off base. They had to keep up with the music but it DID look like they were racing around the floor.

I think the dance that Rumor and Val did was appropriate for the song choice and if the judges didn't like it then blame whoever gave the song to them. I didn't think it was that raunchy...but that may be just me. I like raunchy sometimes. lol

Riker is doing a great job. Good to see a guy in the mix.

For some reason I didn't like Willow's dance as much as in the past.

Something I did notice is that the dust up between Noah and Sharna wasn't made as much of as Chris and Witney last week. I can understand the frustration of these celebrities when they are struggling and the pros need to keep in mind that they don't know these dances. Just saying.
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:38 am

rkc, I agree with most everything you wrote.

Rumer's movements in that dance put me in mind of Gwen Verdon's dancing in (I think) Damn Yankees. 

And I think the difference in Willow's performance is that we weren't distracted by outlandish costuming.  The flaws were easier to spot.

Sharna is so good with Noah.  And how endearing was his concern over the thought the package made her look bad.

And mustang, where was your critique of this week?????  Are you posting on another board and forgetting about us?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by BHGma Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:26 am

Hi all! Just popped in to say hello! Thanks for the reminder, Singly!
BHGma
BHGma

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Good to see you, gma.  What are your thoughts on this week's show?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by BHGma Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks, Singly!

I recorded the show & just watched it Wednesday night so you would THINK that I would remember it to talk about. LOL Hell, I'm getting old!

I LOVED Chris in pink. Real men wear pink, ya know? ;o) I enjoyed his waltz & thought he did real well for having no dance experience. Did NOT like my favorite's dance, Rumor. Not because it was raunchy, that didn't bother me, I just didn't care for it. I enjoy Ryker, I think that kid is UBER talented! I didn't think Willow did very well this week. 

Team dances were both fun! I thought that Team Wipeout? did a better job but it might have been the beach theme that I liked more than anything. Is it summer yet? lol
BHGma
BHGma

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:46 am

Beach theme?  lol.  THAT was my problem with it.  I know "Wipeout" is about surfing.  But....they could have stolen that choreo from any of the 60's Annette Funicello/Frankie Avalon movies.  Even as a teen, I thought those dances were horrendous.  But that's just me.

I didn't notice the color on Chris.  Pink?  I remember his learning the waltz for Jade's Cinderella dance.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top