Post by SLA44 Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:15 am

Use this thread to discuss Episode 5.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Episode 5 Discussions Empty Re: Episode 5 Discussions

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:08 am

I fell asleep in the middle of the group date.  I'll have to check later if my VCR was working properly, recorded it, and watch the rest.  I was kind of surprised they aired footage about Marquel (sp?) and the name-calling (Blackie).

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:27 am

Anything for drama - TPTB don't care who might get hurt out of what they do.  It's not hard to understand why you fell asleep during the group date - I didn't find it that entertaining.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:11 am

1/1 with Josh:  I'm just not buying what he says.  Some lines seem rehearsed and he makes me wonder how many women have heard the same song.

Group date:  A couple of the guys were really enjoying the mime shtick.  On the other hand, we got to see Nick pout because mommy was paying attention to the other kids.  He gave the impression he would be jealous and possessive in a relationship.  Quiet and brooding until he got you home.

1/1 with Brian:  I think he was afraid of looking like a complete incompetent in the kitchen.  And I appreciate that he's tentative in his approach.  She certainly gave him the green light when they were at the bistro(?).  I think he's too nice for her.

JJ's revelation:  An arsonist innocently watching the fire he started?  What's up with this guy?  I initially liked his comedic style, but he's looking more and more like an MF plant - a pot-stirrer to get the drama going.

I felt so sorry for Marquel.  But the drama gave rise to question.  I've never heard the term "Blackie."  I have, however, many times heard the term "Whitey" used in a derogatory way.  The difference in this case is that it was directed to a single black male - a nice guy.  But why should there be any double-standard at all?  If Blackie is bad and the "n" word is bad, then why is Whitey okay?  When "Whitey" is used, it's often directed to the white race as if we all belong to the KKK.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:02 am

Singly I agree with just about everything you said. 

I thought Nick acted like a spoiled brat on the group date and wouldn't even try to go along with it.  How Andi couldn't see that is beyond me.  He also is smug and arrogant around the other guys.  Pulling out that poem and reading it to Andi was so insincere and she didn't seem so taken by it herself.  Then when she asks, what she calls the two nicest guys in the house, what's going on and they tell her she just seems to ignore what they told her and Nick receives a rose before either one of them do.  

I thought I liked JJ at the very beginning but he is nothing but a trouble maker and he said himself in PI that he wasn't sure if that was the terminology used - it might have been the two black guys that was  said, gave me the impression he knew that the word "blackie" was not used and he made it up to get Marquel stirred up and it worked.  Marquel should not have even brought it up then IMO but it kept eating at him and he did.   When she gave JJ the group date rose I just couldn't believe it - because he pulled her away and took on the Ferris Wheel.  For someone who should be able to read people she sure seems to blind and death when it comes to JJ and Nick IMO.

I did not feel any more sorry for Marquel getting eliminated than I did for Patrick - there was not a romantic connection there and those were the ones she was sending home.  Marquel did not get sent home because of any drama he got sent home because there was no chemistry there for Andi.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:51 pm

I didn't feel sorry that Marquel went home.  I was sad that he felt there was racism directed at him.  He seemed genuinely hurt.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:33 pm

I finally finished watching it on "tape" earlier this afternoon.  This is one of the most "scripted" seasons ever.  There's not a bit of true feelings or sincerity that I can see; it sounds like they are all reading from a prompter.  Andi's expression at the RC was really dour, and was not called for.  She did what needed to be done.

Seems to be some sentiment on the other board and on the motherboard for Marquel to be the next Bachelor.  I don't think they have gone further back than F6 in any season to pick a new lead; however, I could be making an incorrect assumption.

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 am

I agree with what you ladies are saying. I'm having a hard time buying into Josh's sincerity. Five years without dating? And then...BAM...after a few weeks of sharing dates with other guys he is falling for her?

Nick was being a baby on the group date. Be a good sport and participate even if you don't like the activity or sharing time with other men. I can't believe that he really feels he is a front runner and is letting the other guys know he feels this way. And btw, these contestants using the term "frontrunner" in the first place in my opinion is proving how they are looking at this as a competition instead of a search for a mate. That poem he pulled out was lame if you ask me. First the flowers being delivered during a cocktail party in front of the other guys and now this. I did have to laugh when after finishing reading it he looked at her and she had that "I'm not impressed" look on her face...but then she said she was waiting for a kiss and then after a brief make out session she was all smiles again. That's something else that bugs me about her. She seems all skeptical about these guys and their intentions and then once they kiss her she is all smiles and buying into their crap. She did the same thing on her date with Josh. Is she really this naive or is it a smoke screen? 

Thought the date with Brian was odd. Don't most men at some point in their adult life learn how to do SOMETHING in the kitchen? As much as I don't particularly like Andi I did think she had a point when she said that there are all kinds of ways that a man can make helping in the kitchen a romantic occasion. So what, you're not in your comfort zone....use it to your advantage anyway, especially when a relationship is new and you're trying to impress someone. Then they give up and go to a restaurant. She has these doubts and then he kisses her and once again, all is well with the world.

I too liked JJ at first but this childish game of tattletale is getting annoying. I can see guys saying something about Andrew getting a girls number and him bragging about it while he is trying to win over a girl on a show BUT what was the necessity of telling one of the other guys that Andrew referred to him and another guy as "blackies"? Just started to seem like he was targeting him out of dislike. The analogy Singly used about the arsonist is so true. The look on his face when Marquel was talking to Andrew about it looked so intense. Now that he got his way and Andrew is gone, hopefully now he will stop this nonsense. It's really unappealing. I also agree with Singly on what she said about a double standard. Why is it that when any term that is deemed offensive to black people is used there is a big uproar over it but it is supposed to be perfectly fine when offensive terms are used towards white people?

I haven't ventured over to the other board this season and therefore haven't seen anyone say anything about Marquel being the next Bachelor. It won't happen for a couple of reasons. They usually pull from the final contestants  standing. They didn't do that with Juan Pablo. They went with him based on popularity with women and look at what a disaster that was. Also, they do throw in the token black contestants but I still don't think avid fans of this show are ready to watch a black season. I know that sounds racist and it's not intended to be....it's just the way it is. 
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Indeed Good posting rkc and IA with what you are saying.  I haven't been over to the ABC board either but have seen those comments about Marquel being the next bachelor on another board.  Myself, I'm not in favor of it and would not watch the season just as I did not watch Juan Pablo's.  I believe people are blaming his elimination on the comment JJ said that Andrew made and Marquel approaching Andrew about it.  That is not why Marquel was let go - it was because there was no connection or chemistry that Andi felt where he was concerned.  People need to get real and step back before all this outcry for Marquel to be the next bachelor.  What was so outstanding about him?  I just didn't see it myself.  Why is it so important that they have a black lead anyway?  I can see that ending up in the same low ratings as Juan Pablo and they might as well just end the franchise.

I really hope that JJ goes home this next episode, there is something not right with that guy IMO.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:21 pm

I agree, rkc.  I'm not ready for a black bach.  In order for me to become involved, I have to be able to identify with the players.  I wouldn't watch a gay bach or ette, either - simply because I don't ride that train.  While I think gays should have rights, I find watching the same sex kiss and make out to be repugnant.

I kind of sympathized with Brian for the reason that it was frog legs.  Why cook something you have no desire to eat?  Amputated legs? * shudder *

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:37 am

My over-all opinion of the episode is that it was a train wreck.  On we go to the next thing!!

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:54 am

I'm wondering if it's just that the whole premise has grown stale with nowhere else to go.  So many viewers came into this with an aversion to Andi and hoped she could win them over.  She's failed.

We're wiser now.  The editing and manipulation have pretty much ruined my enchantment with the process.  It seems more now to be a few men sitting around a conference table, deciding what America wants to see.  They failed.

There's simply not enough meaningful footage.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 am

TPTB have proven in the last few seasons that they have lost any knack for choosing the right person for the lead. I'm hoping they don't buy into Marquel as the next lead based on the public outcry after his elimination this past week. He seems like a nice enough guy but not one that would make for an interesting season. He didn't get his heart broken by Andi. Him and Andi clearly didn't have any....ANYTHING between them so why cast him for the lead? They folded to public popularity at the time with JP and look how that turned out. Marquel already jumped right from this season over to Bachelor in Paradise so why make him the next lead as well? But why do I get this feeling that based on negativity in the past from a few that there has been no black lead to now having people clamoring for Marquel that they may try it to finally silence those outcries? 
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:08 pm

I agree rkc and if they do make Marquel the lead it will be two mistakes in a row IMO and I for one will not watch just like I didn't watch Juan Pablo's season.  If the lead doesn't interest me I'm not going to watch when it's the Bachelor and I will only watch the bachelorette if there are some male contestants that I am interested in seeing.

Another problem I see with picking Marquel for the bachelor - who does that leave to pick the next bachelorette from?  Then they will be turning the franchise of black leads.  JMO
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top