View previous topic View next topic Go down

Season 18 Week 10 Empty Season 18 Week 10

Post by SLA44 Fri May 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Here is the article from TVGrapevine on the Season's finals of DWTS:

DANCING WITH THE STARS: 
SEASON FINALE

Monday at 8/7c on ABC
Tueday at 9/8 on ABC

FOUR COUPLES REMAIN BUT ONLY ONE CAN TAKE HOME THE COVETED MIRRORBALL TROPHY, ON THE TWO-PART FINALE OF ABC’S “DANCING WITH THE STARS

Musical Performers Include Season 17 Champion Amber Riley, Christina Perri, Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX, Cody Simpson and Ariana Grande

After nine weeks of competitive dancing spanning a variety of styles from the Cha Cha to the Foxtrot to the Viennese Waltz and beyond, Amy Purdy & Derek Hough, Meryl Davis & Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Candace Cameron Bure & Mark Ballas, and James Maslow & Peta Murgatroyd remain in the competition, but only one couple will be crowned “Dancing With The Stars” champion. These four remaining couples will have one last opportunity to impress the judges and the viewers on MONDAY, MAY 19 (8:00-9:30 p.m., ET), concluding with the Season Finale, TUESDAY, MAY 20 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

On MONDAY, MAY 19 (8:00-9:30 p.m., ET), the four remaining couples will compete in two rounds of dance. In the first round, each couple will take on the “Judges Pick” and repeat the same dance style they did the week of the “Switch-Up.” In the second round, one of the biggest competitive dances of the season, the couples take on a supersized Freestyle featuring special effects, additional dancers and unexpected surprises. At the end of night, one couple will be eliminated based on the previous weeks' viewer votes, combined with the judges' scores from the previous Monday night. 

In the two-hour Season Finale on TUESDAY, MAY 20 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) the show will begin with a high-energy performance featuring a reunion of all 12 of this season’s couples as well as the judges. Then, as decided on by a Twitter vote, one of the three remaining couples will perform their Freestyle dance as an encore. The finale will also feature a performance to “Livin’ La Vida Loca,” by Team Loca, giving viewers at home a chance to watch the routine live with Amy Purdy, as she was unable to dance during the original Team Night due to an injury. Additionally, viewers will be treated to encore performances by Drew Carey and Cheryl Burke to “You Can’t Sit Down,” NeNe Leakes to “Grown Woman” featuring six Pro Dancers, Danica McKellar and Val Chmerkovskiy to “Be Our Guest,” and Charlie White and Sharna Burgess to “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.” Additionally, Olympic Gold Medalist partners Charlie and Meryl will dance together for the first time. In the last element of competition, the couples will perform a new routine as part of a “24 Hour Fusion Challenge.” The remaining couples will fuse two contrasting dance styles that they’ve performed this season and they’ll have less than 24 hours to prepare that dance for judges’ points. 

Last season’s Mirrorball Trophy winner, Amber Riley, will return as a part of Walgreens’ “Dance Happy Be Healthy” performance of “Do Your Thing” plus her first single “Colorblind.” The finale will also feature musical performances by Christina Perri singing her ballad “Human,” Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX will perform their hit “Fancy,” Season 18 contestant Cody Simpson will treat fans to his hit “Surfboard” and Ariana Grande will perform her new single “Problem.” At the end of the night, the public vote from Monday night will be combined with the judges' scores from both nights to crown the Season 18 Champion.

Viewers may cast their votes for their favorite teams via phone on Monday nights during and up to 60 minutes after the end of the “Dancing with the Stars” broadcast in each time zone. Online voting at www.ABC.com and on Facebook at https://apps.facebook.com/votedwts/ is open for 24 hours, beginning from the start of each episode on the East Coast at 8:00 p.m., ET/5:00 p.m., PT and closing at 8:00 p.m., ET/5:00 p.m., PT on Tuesday evenings. For the final week, on Monday, May 19, online voting will open for 15 hours, beginning from the start of the episode on the East Coast at 8:00 p.m., ET/5:00 p.m., PT and closing at 11:00 a.m., ET/8:00 a.m., PT the next day. A custom Facebook app lets fans vote, share whom they voted for and say why, as well as see whom friends voted for. 

Hosted by Emmy® Award-winning host Tom Bergeron (“America’s Funniest Home Videos”) and Erin Andrews (sports host & “Dancing with the Stars” Season 10 finalist), “Dancing with the Stars” is the hit series in which celebrities perform choreographed dance routines which are judged by renowned ballroom judge Len Goodman and dancer/choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Season 18 Week 10 Empty Re: Season 18 Week 10

Post by Guest Sat May 17, 2014 6:46 am

Between this finale, and the beginning of The Bachelorette, some of us will have our eyes bulging out on Wednesday morning.

LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat May 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Here is an article that USN had forwarded to me.

SAT, 17 MAY 2014 AT 3:30 PM

Meryl Davis & Charlie White To Perform Together on 'DWTS' Finale; Amber Riley, Ariana Grande To Perform
Season 18 Week 10 Dwts-season-18-final-schedule

Just two more days until the Dancing With The Stars finale — are you just as excited as JJJ?

Candace Cameron BureMeryl DavisJames Maslow and Amy Purdy will show off all their skills one more time on the ballroom floor, competing for the coveted mirrored ball trophy with their pro partners.

There are a ton of happenings on the show over the course of the two-night finale and JJJ has all the details!

On Monday‘s show (May 19th), each couple will perform three dances — the judges pick, the switch-up routine (from Week 4) and a supersized Freestyle that will be featuring special effects, additional dancers, and surprises, and possibly more. You never know with Freestyles!

Like with week’s past, at the end of the night, the couple with the lowest previous weeks’ viewer votes will be eliminated.

On Tuesday, it’s a whole different two-hour ball game. Check out the schedule:

– All 12 couples will reunite on the dance floor with the judges.
– Based on a Twitter vote, one of the three remaining couples will perform their Freestyle dance as an encore.
– The “24 Hour Fusion Challenge”, which is merging two contrasting dance styles that the finalists performed this season together. They’ll have less than 24 hours to prepare that dance for judges’ points.
– Team Loca will perform an encore (from Latin Week) so you can watch the team dance in full with Amy Purdy, who was unable to dance due to an injury mid-show.
 Drew Carey, NeNe Leakes, Danica McKellar and Charlie White will take on their most popular dances
– Meryl and Charlie will go from the ice to the dance floor and dance together
– Cody Simpson will sing his hit song “Surfboard,” with Witney Carson
– Amber Riley, the reigning DWTS champ, will perform “Do Your Thing” plus her first single “Colorblind.”
– Christina PerriIggy AzaleaCharli XCX and Ariana Grande will also perform.

There’s also a shift in voting. Because this is the final week, you now only have 15 hours to vote online beginning from the start of the episode on the East Coast at 8:00 p.m., ET/5:00 p.m., PT and closing at 11:00 a.m., ET/8:00 a.m., PT the next day. You can also call into vote, but 15 hours only. Have your speed dial all set!

WHO DO YOU THINK WILL WIN?

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2014/05/17/meryl-davis-amber-riley-ariana-grande-to-perform/
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Mon May 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Don't know if you all saw that Mark got hurt during the dress rehearsal.  Dislocated his shoulder??  Something like that.  He was treated and released, but they're not sure if he'll be able to dance tonight. One of the other pros is learning his routines to step in with Candace if Mark can't dance.  Mark has said he's okay and wants to dance. 

Here's what everyone is dancing tonight:

Candace and Mark
Quickstep
Freestyle

Amy and Derek
Salsa
Freestyle

James and Peta
Tango
Freestyle

Meryl and Maks
Argentine Tango
Freestyle

Most looking forward to seeing Meryl and Maks do the Argentine Tango and Candace and Mark do the Quickstep.  I could be wrong, but I expect the Quickstep to be good for Candace. 

Rumors seem to think that all the freestyles will be contemporary style.  I can't help but think that would be a disaster.  It's been a good style for all of them, but it will make it harder, I think, for anyone to really stand out.  And since most of the contemporaries we've seen on DWTS have been these overwrought emo pieces, it'll make for kind of a dull finale, I think.  Someone did post that James wanted to do hip hop, which I think would make for its own kind of disaster, but he could end up winning the freestyle just because it wasn't contemporary! 

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Mon May 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Evidently Mark was injured in practice Sunday:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20817965,00.html
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Mon May 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah.  I mentioned that in last week's thread.  It seems that Mark has been saying he'll be ready to dance, but they said one of the other pros was learning the routines to step in, if needed.  I hope Mark will be able to dance tonight; it would be very sad for Candace if she were eliminated tonight and wasn't able to dance with Mark.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Tue May 20, 2014 2:19 am

Well I think Maks showed everyone that he can choreograph a freestyle dance tonight.  In fact I think there is nothing wrong with his choreography anyway.  I had tears in my eyes tonight when Maks and Meryl did their freestyle dance as did many in the audience and Carrie Ann to boot.  Their Argentine Tango was also superb - Wow what a pair together.  I doubt they will ever get another pair on DWTS that can compare to what Maks and Meryl brought to the dance floor.  If they do not win it is nothing less than a crying shame because they are just so far above anything that show has ever seen before and will ever see again for a long time to come IMO.  They sure got all my 15 votes tonight.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Tue May 20, 2014 8:21 am

A quick hello to you SLA...and to anyone else reading this:)  I finally checked here and you have been posting away!  Finally our boy Maks may get what he so deserves.It has been such a treat to see him again, especially when he is paired with the likes of meryl.  Honestly, at first, I woried about this partnership because she is so quiet and I thought he'd make "mincemeat" out of her.  In fact, in turned out to be quite the opposite.  He is eating out of her hand and the wild beast is almost tamed!  I love the softer side of Maks.  Love them together!

BTW, I personally don't think that Candace belongs in the finals.  I know Lady Mustang will disagree.  In the first few shows I kept going back and forth about Candace and Danica but in either case, Charlie was better (naturally) and even James had more crowd appeal.  yet, I can see the viewers thinking that she has progressed without having come into this with all that training.  Once can argue, though, that other contestants in previous seasons have also come in without training and have grown beyond the capabilities of Candace and they also had more stage presence.  I recently saw her in a made for TV type of movie.  her acting was okay but very bland and even keel--just the way she is on the show, just the way her dancing is.  I am not blown away by her. 

Hi back Vic3 and glad to see you back here.  I too love them together and am sad this season is coming to an end.  I want to see more of them!!
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Tue May 20, 2014 8:29 am

newto the boards wrote:Between this finale, and the beginning of The Bachelorette, some of us will have our eyes bulging out on Wednesday morning.

LOL!

Hi newto.  Missed you.  Thought of you.  Have had a very bad year with the concussion and all the residual effects.  Hope yu are well. 
So true about the eyes bulging out.  This is too much too close together and without a break!  Feast or famine:)
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Tue May 20, 2014 8:47 am

I broke down and taped last night's show so I could ffwd past Erin and her questions.  Just HAD to see Maks and how he's doing with Meryl.  I was stunned at the beauty in this partnership.  What a pair!  They're magical - and that little girl seems so fragile (despite the fact she's an athlete.)  She melts into him.

I was unimpressed by Candace and thought James did much better.

It was intriguing to see Amy's feet set to a toe position.  Does she always dance this way?  After seeing the sour grapes threads on the ABC board, I was surprised she does so well.

If M&M don't win this, something's wrong with America.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Tue May 20, 2014 9:19 am

singlyme wrote:I broke down and taped last night's show so I could ffwd past Erin and her questions.  Just HAD to see Maks and how he's doing with Meryl.  I was stunned at the beauty in this partnership.  What a pair!  They're magical - and that little girl seems so fragile (despite the fact she's an athlete.)  She melts into him.

I was unimpressed by Candace and thought James did much better.

It was intriguing to see Amy's feet set to a toe position.  Does she always dance this way?  After seeing the sour grapes threads on the ABC board, I was surprised she does so well.

If M&M don't win this, something's wrong with America.

Hi singly.  Hope you arr doing better  I also often skip Erin's ridiculousness.  I was not happy how she treated Maks a few times:( 

So you agree with me about Candace.  I slow motion it a lot and I can see the intricacies or mistakes.  She is not up to snuff to be in the F3

You asked about Amy. She has three a few different kinds of prosthetics. so no she is not always in the ones that you saw.
When she did the QS she was wearing these curved blades that allowed her to just glide aorund the floor flawlessly!  It is trult amazing.  Heck, when I broke my foot, I couldn't even balance onthe crutches and fell over all the time!
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Tue May 20, 2014 1:53 pm

I just watched Meryl & Maks Freestyle again and it is so fantastic I have to put it up here:

Maks said that he could do it 100 times more with Meryl and believe me I could and would watch them 100 times more and may just do that before long.  They are just so magnificent together!!

Last edited by SLA44 on Tue May 20, 2014 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Tue May 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Here is Meryl and Maks' Argentine Tango:

SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by victorian3 Tue May 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Oh my heart be still..thump thump thump!!! maks...swoon....
victorian3
victorian3
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 21, 2014 8:09 am

I missed them dancing on Monday night.  Just watched the videos.  Only one comment:  OH MY GOD!!!!!

Thanks, SLA, for putting these up.  I'd like to thank you for all you have done to hold this site together; KUDOS TO YOU, MY FRIEND!!

Thanks      Hugs

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed May 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Thank you newto.  I found this article this morning on Meryl & Maksim's win last night complete with a video and Ali is the one interviewing them.  She does a good job.  Here is the link:

http://www.eonline.com/news/543901/meryl-davis-on-her-dwts-win-and-leaving-maksim-chmerkovskiy-s-proposal-hanging-i-m-stubborn

I can't say how happy I am that they won - no one deserved it more!!!  I watched them on GMA this morning and will watch them again on Live with Kelly and Micheal when it comes on.  I will miss watching them dance on Monday nights though they were so amazing.  Congratulations to Meryl & Maks!!!  So glad that Maks finally got the Mirror Ball Trophy that had eluded him for so many years - he truly deserved it.   Cheer  Yay!  Man dance  Applause 
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed May 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Here is a cute tweet from Maksim:

https://twitter.com/maksimc/status/468577995205005313
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed May 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Here is a recap of the finale from EW :

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/dancing-with-the-stars-finale/
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Wed May 21, 2014 1:49 pm

I am so happy that Maks and Meryl won.  And I'm so tired of reading the other message boards all about how Meryl would have won with anyone and she never had to actually learn anything because she's already a professional dancer and blah blah blah.  You know, once the voting is over and the results are in on the final night, I really wish people could just give it a rest and be happy for everyone.  I don't mind if people say they're disappointed that their favorite didn't win, but why do they have to continue to trash the winner?  Ugh.  Love this board.  There's only a few of us, but it's not a nasty place to be.  Thanks for that, guys.

I loved the show last night for the most part.  I did not like that Iggy whatever - couldn't understand a word she said.  In fact, except for Amber Riley, they could have gotten rid of all the other singers.  None of them were terribly impressive. I was disappointed that the long-awaited Meryl/Charlie dance was 20 seconds coming back from commercial.  Seriously, they couldn't have cut Nene's time in half and given that to Meryl and Charlie?  Was also disappointed that they didn't have all the finalists dance one last time.  That's the first time I can remember that happening, and it was not a good improvement.  I thought all three of the couples did well in their fusion dance.  I thought it was perhaps Candace's best dance - she certainly seemed very relaxed and happy.  I was kind of wishing at least one of the judges would have loosened up and given her a 10, if not for her dancing then just because she was such a lovely person.  But it was not to be.

I knew as soon as they came out to announce the winner that MnM had won.  I realized a season or two ago that the winning couple is always standing next to Tom.  They change which side of the room Tom is on, but the winning couple is always standing next to him.  So no big suspense any more, but that was okay because I'm not sure I could have stood the suspense.    Loved how excited everyone was for Maks.  Even Derek was shown grinning and clapping like crazy.  He's made me really like him a couple of times this season. 

All things considered, this was a great season, I thought.  A lot of really good dancers, some decent but not great dancers, and only a couple of non-starters.  I loved the caliber of dancing we got from this group as well.  Some really and truly incredible numbers.  That said, I hope next season they back off a bit on the "ringers" and get a more evenly matched crew.  I know some considered Danica a ringer because she'd taken ballroom lessons in the past, but I didn't put her in that category.  What she would have learned in a regular ballroom class would not have helped much for the kind of show dancing they do on DWTS.  I don't consider former cheerleaders or gymnasts to be ringers either.  That's just me, though.  But I'd like to see a group with no senior citizens that can barely move (as lovely as they can be, they just never really stand a chance) and no clear ringers.  I think it would be really fun to go back to that and see what they could do.  While I love the level of dancing the ringers bring to the show, it's always more exciting to me to watch someone grow and improve and turn out to be really good who can surprise you.

I'll be really sad if this is indeed Maks' last year.  I think I'd also miss Len, if he doesn't come back.  He's the more sane one of the group.  I sometimes get annoyed with his occasional persnickityness, but he is the most knowledgeable one of the group, and he at least usually tries to judge the actual dancing.  He's not perfect, but none of the guest judges they've had on so far would be a suitable replacement.  I'd be tempted to say get Mary Murphy from SYTYCD, but I think the combination of her and Carrie Ann would drive viewers mad within a few weeks.  If they're not going to bring them back as pros (and it doesn't seem as if they are), then Anna, Louis or Jonathan would all be great replacements for Len, I think.  Or bring Maks back as a judge!!

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed May 21, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm really happy that Maks & Meryl won also LadyMustang.  Seeing Danica and Val dance last night made me sad that she had gotten eliminated as early as she did. They were better then that but I guess she didn't have the fan base some others had.  

Maks and Meryls freestyle dance brought tears to my eyes and still does every time I watch it.  They brought something to the dance floor that hadn't existed before on the show and probably won't be equalled for a long time to come.  Carrie Ann even surprised me for the praise Maks and Meryl got from her the last few weeks.  I don't know if she was trying to make up for that nasty judge that gave Meryl an 8 or what but she really did a complete turn around on the way she addressed Maks.  It was so good to see Maks so happy and smiling all the time.

I wouldn't mind seeing Maks replace Len if he really is leaving or any of the others that you mentioned or even Tony.  Any of those pros would do a good job of judging.  They can leave Julianne out the mix though and I hope they never bring her back as a guest judge.  You are right that the combination of Carrie Ann and Mary Murphy would drive viewers nuts and I know it would me.  I'm afraid their viewing rating would drop way down.  

One last thing - I know Disney owns ABC but I really would like it if they quit putting those young folks on this show.  IMO they do not belong and this season Cody couldn't be eliminated soon enough for me.  Those gawd awful pants he wore were so distracting I couldn't even pay attention to the dance he was doing.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by USN Wed May 21, 2014 5:10 pm

I agree, this has been a great season, and I am soooo happy with Maks and Meryl's win!!  They did have a lot of really good dancers, and it's really a shame that two of them didn't make it into the finals.  Unfortunately, that happens every season.  They really need to come up with a fairer system to keep the better dancers in.

Thanks Sla for the videos and articles.  I appreciate you going through the trouble of tracking them down, and posting them.

It;s nice to see some activity over here again.  Good to see you posting again, Vic.

In response to the Erin Andrews' comments, I have to say, I thought one of the smartest changes they made was replacing Brooke with her.  It was nice to have someone who knows how to conduct an interview, and has a good sense of humor.  Speaking of changes, I was glad they brought the skybox back.
USN
USN
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed May 21, 2014 5:38 pm

For any of you that may have missed the Charlie and Meryl dance last night like I did here is a video of it.

SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Thu May 22, 2014 10:08 am

Thank you for the Charlie/Meryl video.  I just loved that.  They did a beautiful job and wish it could have been much longer.  Bah humbug on Nene.  :\

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Thu May 22, 2014 10:19 am

SLA44 said, "One last thing - I know Disney owns ABC but I really would like it if they quit putting those young folks on this show. "

I'm going to respectfully disagree a bit.  I don't mind the Disney kids in general.  Kyle Massey was beyond adorable, and I loved Zendaya.  Chelsea Kane was okay but I didn't like the way they inflated her scores to keep her around beyond when most viewers wanted to see her gone.  I enjoyed Roshon Fagan as well.  I like the energy and fun these kids can bring to the show.  It's only when they get excessively pimped that I find it annoying.  Cody was a bit of a miss but only because he just wasn't as cool as he thought he was.  And I don't like the really young ones.  Shawn Johnson was good, but I wish she'd been on when she was a bit older.  The younger boys seem to fare better (because we've got generally a double standard), but the younger girls just make it seem kind of "icky" in some of the dances, and with so many of the dancers being naturally touch-feely, it's just not a good idea.  As long as the show isn't suddenly overloaded with kids, I'm fine with them.  I've liked many of them.

USN said, "In response to the Erin Andrews' comments, I have to say, I thought one of the smartest changes they made was replacing Brooke with her.  It was nice to have someone who knows how to conduct an interview, and has a good sense of humor.  Speaking of changes, I was glad they brought the skybox back.

A thousand times yes to this!  I think Erin has been a great improvement over Brooke (and I actually mostly liked Brooke).  And one of the few things they did differently this year that I hope they bring back and actually do a bit more of is showing the clips from the dress rehearsal.  Oh my gosh was that so much fun! 

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu May 22, 2014 11:38 am

LadyMustang the kids from the Disney shows are not known to me and therefore they do not seem like celebrities to me except for maybe the younger crowd.  To me most of the dances are for adults not children to be doing except Val did an excellent job with those dances when he had Zendaya as a partner.  He kept the dances as they should be without making them too risque for someone Zendaya's age.  Cody was such a turnoff to me that he about did the younger generation being on that show where I was concerned.  I was so glad when Sharna told him not to wear those gawd awful pants - to me he was disrespectful of the show and of what it is supposed to represent and that is ballroom dancing,  I do like the contemporary dance that has been added but I don't like some of the other dances they have added like I guess it is some of the jazz ones like the one James and Peta did for their freestyle and I think NeNe did one that was less than entertaining to watch for me.

I do agree that I like Erin and the fact that they brought back the sky box.  I also enjoy some of the clips of training for dances except sometimes I think they try to make you think the worst of the pros or contestants in what they show.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top