Week 11 - Finals

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 11 - Finals - Page 2 Empty Re: Week 11 - Finals

Post by kincaid53 Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:41 am

I honestly don't know where Calvins vote would go or if the people voting for him just would not vote. So has every pole and prediction you have read come true every week?  Like I said in another thread, I think in answer to glitters to who I wanted in the finals .....it doesn't matter to me as long as James and Sharna are there Very Happy  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:49 am

Like I said we are getting own to the nitty gritty and I think James would fare better over Calvin that Jana .......some one is keeping her in and I don't know who...I've never heard of one tree hill or her as a country singer....the judges...battered womens groups....the fact she has gleb?? I would have thought she would have been gone a long time ago. If you ever read Maks blog, he's not sure why she is still there either...he said she had one good dance and not improved since. I agree. 

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:27 am

Jana and Gleb are playing the sympathy card again by claiming that Gleb is very sick with the flu, again using Alan as a sub. I'm not a Jana hater, but it's hard to root for them when they continually resort to these tricks. Gleb is a professional and should be able to take enough care of himself to prevent the flu. He also grew up with Russian winters; LA's fall weather (no rain, low of 55) should be nothing for him. Hope he doesn't use the same playbook in future seasons.

It should be James/Laurie for the top 2, with James getting a lot of power-voters through the Indyworld and DWTS superfans. Laurie may have a wider fanbase but I don't think that they are as rabid as James'.

And I think that Calvin will end up 3rd. His placement in jeopardy last Monday and the 8 from CAI may have mobilized more votes for him.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:37 am

bailadora wrote:
It should be James/Laurie for the top 2, with James getting a lot of power-voters through the Indyworld and DWTS superfans. Laurie may have a wider fanbase but I don't think that they are as rabid as James'.

Count on every gymnast and every former gymnast in the U.S. voting for Laurie.  And that's her "narrow" base -- and we ARE rabid.  Then there is the wider base of Olympic year enthusiasts.  They are admittedly not so motivated.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Jane, where has this wide and rabid fan base you claim been in Shawn's second run, Aly's and Nastia's seasons? Sports and entertainment are different worlds; so I'm not impressed. It's not as simple as relying on one's usual fanbase, be it gymnastics, NFL, Nascar, (Indycar too, admittedly), or whatever.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:02 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:Jane, where has this wide and rabid fan base you claim been in Shawn's second run, Aly's and Nastia's seasons? Sports and entertainment are different worlds; so I'm not impressed. It's not as simple as relying on one's usual fanbase, be it gymnastics, NFL, Nascar, (Indycar too, admittedly), or whatever.
I never said it was enough to win DWTS -- but it is indeed a deeply loyal fan base and they were indeed voting for these girls.  That was my only point.  I have no clue who will win this season of DWTS and am not invested in the outcome.  Moreover, I have no idea what it takes to win DWTS, who the voters are etc etc.  I love Laurie but will not be in any way concerned if she does not win.  She's had a great ride on the show either way and now she will go on to other things in her post-Olympic year.  Its a year of fun, a year of destressing, a year of celebrating her years of hard work that brought her to become an Olympic champion.  Then she will likely go back to the gym and competition.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:34 pm

Bing is predicting that Laurie will win, Jana will be second, James third, and Calvin fourth.

I think America will vote as it always does -- for that couple whose win would give the show its biggest "Feel Good" ending. 

That, in turn, depends almost entirely on the Monday night packages. 

I think the stakes for emotional manipulation have never been so high as they are right now in this season.  None of these celebs "need" the MBT.  It will not enhance them in any way beyond what they have already shown they can do.  It sure will not help Laurie in any way, being a cheesy award compared to Olympic Gold.

What would it mean to the other three?  I can't see Calvin or Jana taking up dancing as second careers. 

But what about James?  Hmmm...  He really would be quite good in the entertainment industry.

In any case, this season, I would not mind if Sharna and Lindsay played the "I have not won yet" card.   There are a lot of us out here who would like to see them get their first wins, because for them, it WOULD mean a lot.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 am

GymGirlJane wrote:
I never said it was enough to win DWTS -- but it is indeed a deeply loyal fan base and they were indeed voting for these girls.  That was my only point.  I have no clue who will win this season of DWTS and am not invested in the outcome.  Moreover, I have no idea what it takes to win DWTS, who the voters are etc etc.  I love Laurie but will not be in any way concerned if she does not win.  She's had a great ride on the show either way and now she will go on to other things in her post-Olympic year.  Its a year of fun, a year of destressing, a year of celebrating her years of hard work that brought her to become an Olympic champion.  Then she will likely go back to the gym and competition.
Always playing it cool, that's Jane. But let me ask you: if the show is really just a fun ride, a celebration, or recreation programme for Laurie- how did you feel about last week's package and performance? How much fun it must for a sixteen-year old girl to be exposed in her grief! I found it annoying, disrespectful, and totally inappropriate. The girl is a trooper to deliver such a great dance after this, and the C-brothers took good care of her. Still this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and it may be the most blatant example that the producers anyway can't do without the emotional manipulation also Psychee mentioned.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:30 am

Psychee22 wrote:...

In any case, this season, I would not mind if Sharna and Lindsay played the "I have not won yet" card.   There are a lot of us out here who would like to see them get their first wins, because for them, it WOULD mean a lot.
It would also mean a lot to one die-hard fan of Sharna, so I really hope there's enough of us to make it happen! I have to admit I could also accept seeing Lindsay take it. Val comes across too inconsistent this season, and Gleb had his moments, but I liked him better on Strictly last year. Why am I mentioning the pros only? Because I've always thought they are stars in their own right, especially the females never seem to get enough recognition, and the celebrity-finalists this season are all among the best we've had anyway.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:50 pm

kincaid53 wrote:   I guess, sis, since Jana is my least favourite of the 4 I'm hoping Calvins football nation will knock her out .....she reminds me of Bindi...every single dance is such a sad sack dance even the fun ones are about her horrendous trials and tribulations and her sad sack face .......sorry sis, it's down to the nitty gritty and I don't like her just like you didn't like Amber.

Kin!  Bindi had only TWO "sad sack" dances --her MMY and Freestyle -- out of 17!  She had LOADS of happy dances.  Like her Salsa?  Foxtrot?  Quickstep? AC/DC Tango?  Cha Cha?  Jive?  Chicago duet with Alexa?  Samba?
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:04 pm

Psychee, you may be right. But give my sister credit because our favorite was someone else. Now my last comment about Bindi, because it's time to focus on the four great couples in this season's finals: the only time Ms. Irwin really looked like a sad sack was when she tried to emulate Jennifer Grey's iconic lift. Giggle
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I think it was just every week, it was all about her Dad so even if it was meant to be a happy fun dance there was always weeping either in the package or at the end of the dance. That was just my take, but I wasn't really a fan.
   For her to just start grieving her father when she went on dwts....I just wasn't buying it, but that was her storyline.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:06 pm

The show definitely milked Laurie's grandma's death, but at least her death was not unexpected. As someone that cared for a relative with Alzheimer's, I believe that the deepest grief tends to occur much earlier than the physical death: it happens when you see the person that you love slowly disappear in front of you until you are just left looking for brief glimpses of light in their eyes in the midst of grey days.

Death is also grieved differently in different cultures. Like Laurie, I come from a Puerto Rican family. A death, particularly those after a long illness or a long life, brings the community together to celebrate the deceased life. Singing and dancing are not uncommon (this type of funeral is called a baquine). Laurie and her family may have been more accepting of a dance dedicated to a relative recently departed than others for whom grievance is more solitary and somber.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Right...back to our Final Four!!   Congratulations to you all for making the Finals. Congrats

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Response moved to chit-chat.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:32 pm

bailadora wrote:The show definitely milked Laurie's grandma's death, but at least her death was not unexpected. As someone that cared for a relative with Alzheimer's, I believe that the deepest grief tends to occur much earlier than the physical death: it happens when you see the person that you love slowly disappear in front of you until you are just left looking for brief glimpses of light in their eyes in the midst of grey days.

Death is also grieved differently in different cultures. Like Laurie, I come from a Puerto Rican family. A death, particularly those after a long illness or a long life, brings the community together to celebrate the deceased life. Singing and dancing are not uncommon (this type of funeral is called a baquine). Laurie and her family may have been more accepting of a dance dedicated to a relative recently departed than others for whom grievance is more solitary and somber.
Thanks for the cultural insight Bailadora.  I am not Hispanic (I am half Irish and half German) and I can recall being taken aback at the (what struck me as) over the top emotional outpourings when I have attended funerals for Hispanic people.  But it just comes down to cultural differences.  Its very important to have this awareness and sensitivity.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Okay, according to George Pennacchio, the order is:

Redemption Dance:  Calvin, Jana, Laurie, James

Freestyle:  Jana, Calvin, Laurie, James
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:08 pm

That bodes well for James, I think!
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Who let Carrie Ann out of that hole DMD and I dug for her? Another 8 for Calvin and all the other judges are saying come on, it's the finals. Grr and curses!
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:19 pm

She is obviously fangirling on Jana......not counting off for her lifts and breaks in hold last week....how f......g rude to Alan ....beotch!!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:27 pm

I'm liking Bruno more and more!
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Well we obviously didn't dig that CAI hole deep enough! 

Jana looked beautiful and Gleb looked handsome and debonair. I liked this dance.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 pm

10s (predictably, coming up for Laurie. It was much better than their first PD for sure. But somehow she just isn't the Paso type.

Well, well, I was wrong!!! That 9 from CAI surprised the heck out of me. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Please DWTS, next season give Artem a contender. I really want to watch him dance for a long, long time. His footwork is impeccable. Yep, he has dancing feet.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Oh shoot, oh damn. That minuscule mishap! That woul have been 40, no question. Still the best of the four redemption dances. Again James the thespian completely inhabited that character. Wonderful.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top