Week 11 - Finals

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Week 11 - Finals

Post by Lesallee on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 pm

I don!t know what Gleb was beating himself up over but I felt bad for him. Not a perfect dance but a darn good one and I enjoyed it.

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi Kym and Robert!

What fun, Calvin and Lindsay. Entertaining from start to finish. And he's a better dancer than he is a trombone player!

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by FLPeaches on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Lesallee wrote:Hi Kym and Robert!

What fun, Calvin and Lindsay. Entertaining from start to finish. And he's a better dancer than he is a trombone player!
Disco dance  that made me want to jump up and dance !  Cancan dance

FLPeaches
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:46 pm

One of Val's good freestyles. (They aren't always)

10s, things are shaping up according to the storyboard,

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:51 pm

To me the difference between Sharna and Queen P is they both have intensity in the finals, but Peta is able to channel it and control it better into a MBW .

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Applause James and Sharna!  That was extraordinary!!

Last edited by Babs2147 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Walker7 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Obviously, I'm gonna give all of my votes to Laurie.

Walker7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:05 pm

I am trying to gather my thoughts and it isn't easy after the most perfect freestyle I have ever seen. That was so powerful, so expressive so honest and so much the essence of James Hinchcliffe. Sharna is indubitably the MVP of season 23. No one else can touch her. I admit that I saw this performance through a sheen of tears. Just magical.

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:21 pm

James and Sharna deserve to win!  Fred and Ginger couldn't have done a better foxtrot, and their freestyle was poignant and masterful.

Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:42 pm

Interesting night!

When CAI started deducting points for lifts tonight after totally ignoring every Quickstep break in hold all season, I booed her.

Then, James and Sharna had that snag thing in the redemption dance and I wanted to scream.

Calvin's Freestyle was the first dance of the night that wowed me.  I clapped to my TV. I also loved both of their packages. Particularly loved "If you fart when I lift you, I'm dropping you!"  and "that means you want the hug to end".  So very human.

Laurie's Freestyle, although she danced it quite nicely, seemed forgettable to me.  It seemed too busy to me.  Like Val threw in everything he could think of.  He keeps thinking that will impress, but it just leaves me dizzy.  And why does he talk so much?

The dance of the night, in my opinion, was James' Freestyle.  That had the WOW factor.  It was emotionally moving without being saccharin.  It was fresh.  And it had Freestyle impact.  I gave them all my votes.

I think James has won the MBT, guys.

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Can't believe it--I've got a football delay on my ABC channel.  They said they will run DWTS afterwards--ughhhhh.  Technically I wonder how this might affect the voting tonight.

So glad to see that things went well for James and Sharna, and I'll be putting in my votes tonight!

suebob16

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:16 pm

To be honest I didn't think the narrative was necessary. To me the story should be told through the music chosen and the dance like Peta did for Nyles in their fs......the talking distracted me, but once again the judges loved it and I too think that fs just won them the MB.   

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:18 pm

One more thing about their fs, Sharna has not ever looked lovlier than she did tonight. 

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:34 pm

I concur, Psychee, I think that FS sealed the deal. FB has been heavily favouring James all day. 

Contrary to sister kin, I found the narrative intriguing and original. We saw James the man who nearly died doing what he loved, the man who fought back and got back into his beloved race car in record time. This man is a champion and so is Sharna. 

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Pretty sure everyone is on the same page as you sis I think I'm in the minority of one on this. But im glad for that!!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:11 am

I really liked Laurie's Paso Doble tonight.  I was surprised Jana left instead of Calvin and not because I wanted him to leave. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:01 am

Lesallee wrote:I am trying to gather my thoughts and it isn't easy after the most perfect freestyle I have ever seen. That was so powerful, so expressive so honest and so much the essence of James Hinchcliffe. Sharna is indubitably the MVP of season 23. No one else can touch her. I admit that I saw this performance through a sheen of tears. Just magical.
I'm with you. Crawled out of bed early to catch up with last night's events, watched James and Sharna before anything else, and thought I was still in a dream. That was everything I had hoped it would be and so much more. I'm not ashamed of my tears.
I'll be back when I've seen what the other couples brought to the table.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:44 am

Generally, I was ok with the redemption round. How often have we complained when the judges seemed to hand out all tens anyway, leaving the decision to the voters just because it's finals and they didn't want to get themselves into trouble? No perfect score for anyone doesn't mean they haven't improved. I think everyone did.

Without the lifts and the points deducted by CA, the scores for Calvin and Jana would have been unanimous. I'd feel better with that of course had the lift-police been consistent in earlier weeks. The rest is a matter of taste, since VW and Tango are obviously very different, but although both couples captured the flavour of the dances, Calvin and Linds did it a little better for me. Jana was passionate, but It lacked the moments of stillness that e.g. James and Sharna had in their week five Tango. Still another eight for Jana would have felt like a smack, and a ten for Calvin would have been overscored technically, so where else to go with the scores?

For Laurie, the Paso was a challenge again because it isn't in her nature. Maybe that's why I still felt it was more well-rehearsed than truly felt, plus I've seen this fierce type of choreography from Val more than enough now. Laurie displayed impressive movement power though.

And now to James: at least he can blame himself should he fall short of the trophy, because I know that is how he's ticking. Shouldn't be too hard on himself though. Without the stumble, that could have been the one and only perfect score in round one, because he is that incredible ballroom dancer. The acting and storytelling from both him and Sharna was spot on and fun to watch. Eta: Bruno is a rogue. Redemption score for last week, maybe.

Round two. Sorry, but compared to the other three, Gleb's take on the freestyle fell flat. He did what Sharna avoided: a sheer contemporary we've seen many times before, featuring movements that looked rather schematic than individual. The scarf has been used as a prop by his SCD fellow pro Oti Mabuse just weeks ago. I bet that's where he got it, and it was disappointing me since he's been so much more creative earlier.
For creativity, Calvins freestyle was a perfect example. I really hope it was actually Lindsay's own creation, because then it would show how much she has grown as a pro in just a few seasons. Calvin is just the right guy to dominate and not get lost in such a busy number. These two have rewritten the DWTS book of lifts for sure!

Speaking of busy numbers, Laurie's was certainly busy too. I said on the Valaur thread I hoped the fun would be back, and I want to thank Val for giving her- and us- just that. He really redeemed himself with that concept. He even found room for some quiet moments featuring just Laurie and him and contrasting all the playfull action. For me it was up there with Zendaya's freestyle; one of my all-time favorites.

Can't say much more about James' freestyle. Check the StopAndGo thread for details, if you like. Still tearing up just thinking of it. Apologies to Val for calling him out a few weeks ago. Big boys don't cry? Bs.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Looking forward to the show tonight and getting to see all the couples again. Very Happy

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Laurie, James & Calvin all did a great job yesterday. Calvin/Lindsay had the most creative elements in their FS, but it lacked the thematic unity of James' or Laurie's. Her FS was absolutely delightful and full of difficult dancing elements. I would have preferred a bit more whimsy on the set design and costumes. It was also a nice contrast to her more mature paso.
I liked James FS but was expecting a bit more. He is by nature emotionally guarded (covering feelings with biting wit), and I felt that distance in the number, particularly when compared to the naked expression of Nyle, Bindi or Meryl FS. I understand how others may enjoy this more guarded expression of emotional state.

Praying that CAI doesn't try to decide the outcome with dubious scoring tonight. I will be content with any of the 3 winning the MBT.

And thank you for all of you that maintain this forum opinionated but civil. We really need that mindset in the country.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:38 pm

Tonight's order per George Pennacchio:

James
Calvin
Laurie

They will each dance twice with only one being judged for points.

suebob16

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:48 pm

Ahhh loved hearing Babyface sing.................The lovely Maureen, loved your dance and you got to dance with Babyface!!!

What a great show so far.........Erin looks really pretty......loved Jenna dancing with Maks Artem and well just about everyone!!

Loking forward to the perfect ending tonight!! Wink

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:58 pm

Vanilla Ice and Rick Perry together......love it!!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:07 pm

I know my sister won't agree with me but I was so happy to witness that AT of Jana's and Gleb's I loved it the first time, still do. I hope they had warm water for Gleb, suffering with the flu!

Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:09 pm

That Macys dance was incredible, best Macys dance ever Applause  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: