DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by victorian3 on Mon May 13, 2013 8:05 am

Still reeling from all the shows last night (Sunday 5-12), and then here we are back to DWTS. Not sure what will happen because we are left with decent dancers all of whom obviusly have fan bases. Let's watch and see.

Hope everyone is well. As you all know, I am still busy enjoyng time with my mother but will pop in here. Just wanted to set this up so you are all ready to post.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

victorian3
Power User

Posts : 871
Likes : 3
Join date : 2013-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by Guest on Mon May 13, 2013 9:02 am



All I have to say is I hope Jacoby goes home this week. Not because of his dancing, but because of his and his mom's mouths. Not a good example of how to communicate. JMHO.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by singlyme on Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 am

I agree, newto.

singlyme
Power User

Posts : 2064
Likes : 249
Join date : 2013-03-10
Location : PA

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by Guest on Mon May 13, 2013 7:50 pm

victorian3 wrote:Still reeling from all the shows last night (Sunday 5-12), and then here we are back to DWTS. Not sure what will happen because we are left with decent dancers all of whom obviusly have fan bases. Let's watch and see.

Hope everyone is well. As you all know, I am still busy enjoyng time with my mother but will pop in here. Just wanted to set this up so you are all ready to post.

Hey Vic, does your Mom enjoy watching DWTS with you??

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by Guest on Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 pm

newto the boards wrote:

All I have to say is I hope Jacoby goes home this week. Not because of his dancing, but because of his and his mom's mouths. Not a good example of how to communicate. JMHO.

I agree, but I think she likes getting all this attention.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by victorian3 on Mon May 13, 2013 7:58 pm

sdreindeer wrote:
victorian3 wrote:Still reeling from all the shows last night (Sunday 5-12), and then here we are back to DWTS. Not sure what will happen because we are left with decent dancers all of whom obviusly have fan bases. Let's watch and see.

Hope everyone is well. As you all know, I am still busy enjoyng time with my mother but will pop in here. Just wanted to set this up so you are all ready to post.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hey Vic, does your Mom enjoy watching DWTS with you??
Hiya newto. yes, my mother is like me and loves DWTS. Her problem is that she always seem to fall asleep somewhere in the middle Sad

victorian3
Power User

Posts : 871
Likes : 3
Join date : 2013-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by LadyMustang65 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Clearly the judges are on crack tonight. Ingo's scores were appropriate. It was good but not great. I had no problem with a 30 for Kellie. But 30s for Aly and Jacoby? Seriously? And on what planet does that quickstep of Zendaya's only warrant a 25? One point better than Ingo? They're all freakin' nuts tonight.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Posts : 492
Likes : 84
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by USN on Mon May 13, 2013 9:12 pm

They are always nuts!

USN
Power User

Posts : 4558
Likes : 200
Join date : 2013-03-03

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by LadyMustang65 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Round 2 - Don't know what flamenco is supposed to look like, so I don't know whether it was good or not. I was underwhelmed by it. It looked sharp and crisp, but for some reason it didn't really totally grab me.

Enjoyed Ingo and Kym; for him it was pretty good.

Hated hated hated Aly and Mark's Afro Jazz. Ugh. Too bad Mark thinks he's above calling in a choreographer who actually knows a style to help him.

Jacoby and Karina were just so much fun. He's sloppy as all get out still, but boy that was just so entertaining. That was great.

Zendaya and Val - that was a terrific hip hop. I know a lot of people were thinking that this wouldn't be that good, but Val was smart to bring in an expert to help choreograph and to help him learn technique. That was my kind of hip hop. I like it more "cheeky" as Len said. I'm not a big fan of the whole attitude, grab-your-crotch kind of hip hop. This and Jacoby's lindy hop were my two favorite dances of the night.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Posts : 492
Likes : 84
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by victorian3 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 pm

LadyMustang65 wrote:Clearly the judges are on crack tonight. Ingo's scores were appropriate. It was good but not great. I had no problem with a 30 for Kellie. But 30s for Aly and Jacoby? Seriously? And on what planet does that quickstep of Zendaya's only warrant a 25? One point better than Ingo? They're all freakin' nuts tonight.
Allie's rhumba did not deserve the 10s. There were a few times where she was standing with weight evenly distributed between her two feet instead of where it should have been, namely on ONE foot with the hip out. They didn't even mention it. She rarely excites me. Onlyonce so far. BUT, I DID like her Afro jazz number (yes lady mustang I know you did not). That dance style was taught to my class in NYC for two months by a dance troupe. I danced with them (VERY taxing on the body). Thjey were spot on except for the last 15-20 seconds where they stuck in her usual shimmy shake of her shoilders. That was not done at all with the dance troupe I worked with. They told me shaking shoulders was not correct form. I liked it though. Allie and Mark were in sync and it looked as it should, but that rhumba left me quite underwhelmed.

Loved Kellie as always and also Jacoby.

kellie, as the female in the flamenco, should also have been stomping her feet with the taps on her shoes (she didn't wear them). She was dancing the dance more as a paso/tango style and Mark was doing the typical flamenco footwork.
probably Ingo will leave tomorrow unless his fanbase is so large that he stays by some fluke. He dances just the way a normal person would if they were a beginner and taking intensive lessons for a few months. The others dance beyond where they should be for the time period that they have been practicing (if you know what I am trying to say).

victorian3
Power User

Posts : 871
Likes : 3
Join date : 2013-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by SLA44 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:51 pm

What dance did Kellie and Derek do first when she had on the dark wig? I missed it.

SLA44
Power User

Posts : 19796
Likes : 1196
Join date : 2013-03-03
Location : Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by victorian3 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:52 pm

SLA44 wrote:What dance did Kellie and Derek do first when she had on the dark wig? I missed it.
Argentine Tango

victorian3
Power User

Posts : 871
Likes : 3
Join date : 2013-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by SLA44 on Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Thank you vic3!

SLA44
Power User

Posts : 19796
Likes : 1196
Join date : 2013-03-03
Location : Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by Guest on Tue May 14, 2013 5:30 am

I really enjoyed watching last night. It is rare when I stay up to watch the whole two hours, but it was a super treat!!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by LadyMustang65 on Tue May 14, 2013 7:27 am

victorian3 wrote:BUT, I DID like her Afro jazz number (yes lady mustang I know you did not). That dance style was taught to my class in NYC for two months by a dance troupe. I danced with them (VERY taxing on the body). Thjey were spot on except for the last 15-20 seconds where they stuck in her usual shimmy shake of her shoilders. That was not done at all with the dance troupe I worked with. They told me shaking shoulders was not correct form. I liked it though. Allie and Mark were in sync and it looked as it should, but that rhumba left me quite underwhelmed.


I don't have a problem with others liking something I did not. Smile Part of my issue with the AfroJazz was the costuming and Mark's facial gestures, if you will. The only thing I know of AfroJazz is what I've seen on SYTYCD, and I generally like it. But I don't think I've ever seen them go the "jungle native" (for lack of a better word) that Mark (and Derek with Shawn last season) seem to love to go. Their routine reminded me more of something I'd see in an old Hollywood "Road to" movie with Bob Hope than something I'd see from Alvin Ailey or something. Mark just seems to think that anything African or "native" has to mean acting like a monkey on crack. I will say that it played to Aly's strength of stomping around, and they did a good job of being in sync for the most part. But overall I found the routine and costuming to be too "stereotypical" maybe? I'm not sure exactly. I just know I generally like AfroJazz on SYTYCD, and what Mark and Aly danced didn't remind me at all of that. Maybe SYTYCD gets it wrong? I don't know. It's also entirely possible that I was predisposed to dislike it just because of the "jungle" dance Mark did last season with Shawn and Derek, or I may be being entirely too critical because I was still annoyed with the 30 for that rumba. That happens. I would have given them 9s for it just because it was danced fairly well, but overall I did not like it.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Posts : 492
Likes : 84
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by singlyme on Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 am

LadyMustang65 wrote:

I don't have a problem with others liking something I did not. Smile Part of my issue with the AfroJazz was the costuming and Mark's facial gestures, if you will. The only thing I know of AfroJazz is what I've seen on SYTYCD, and I generally like it. But I don't think I've ever seen them go the "jungle native" (for lack of a better word) that Mark (and Derek with Shawn last season) seem to love to go. Their routine reminded me more of something I'd see in an old Hollywood "Road to" movie with Bob Hope than something I'd see from Alvin Ailey or something. Mark just seems to think that anything African or "native" has to mean acting like a monkey on crack. I will say that it played to Aly's strength of stomping around, and they did a good job of being in sync for the most part. But overall I found the routine and costuming to be too "stereotypical" maybe? I'm not sure exactly. I just know I generally like AfroJazz on SYTYCD, and what Mark and Aly danced didn't remind me at all of that. Maybe SYTYCD gets it wrong? I don't know. It's also entirely possible that I was predisposed to dislike it just because of the "jungle" dance Mark did last season with Shawn and Derek, or I may be being entirely too critical because I was still annoyed with the 30 for that rumba. That happens. I would have given them 9s for it just because it was danced fairly well, but overall I did not like it.

OMG, mustang. LOL. You nailed it! The costuming said it all. They looked like the tribesmen out of an old Tarzan movie. Mark's open mouth and facial expressions ALWAYS annoy me, as does his inner need to outdance his partner - which he can't seem to suppress. And it wasn't remotely like any African Jazz I've seen before. I know a lot of people like him, however for me, his ego is his worst enemy.

You know, I started this season not liking Val at all. But I've become aware of how very much he allows his partner to shine and be the "star" of the dance. I never thought about it until one of the judges mentioned it after the triple dance last week. But Z wore that bright yellow in contrast to his black. She stood out. But I found the cars too much and the dance too fast. I'm not a fan of watching hip-hop but that's usually because I'm forced to listen to rap to see it. I enjoyed this one.

I'm not familiar with Flamenco either. But I know castanets and foot stomp clicks are part of it. They needed cleats on their shoes to be effective. Kelly just appeared tense and apprehensive through the dance. The black eye makeup didn't help. For my money, she and Zendaya are the top contenders.

I agree that Jacoby's dances were fun but sloppy. His personality is a big turn-off for me. As is the case for Aly. Little personality comes out in her dancing - no joy. After all this time, still forgettable. During her first dance, with her back to Mark, she blew through her lips and I wondered in that moment if it was supposed to be the emotion of the dance or if she was preparing for a tumbling run. I'm glad they've dropped those tricks.

singlyme
Power User

Posts : 2064
Likes : 249
Join date : 2013-03-10
Location : PA

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by LadyMustang65 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 am

Too funny. I noticed the blowing thing as well and had the same thought. But I think that's when she turned around and ran back to him, so it was probably supposed to be the emotion of the dance. But I didn't really feel any emotion from her at all, so it was kind of lost on me. And what really struck me about that rumba was that Mark was really getting into the dance at one point, and his face was really showing the emotion of his lost love, but there was nothing coming from her. No conflict of emotions, no regret, no anger, no nothing. Just completely blank. My husband made what I thought was a pretty astute observation. He said what served Aly well in gymnastics was hurting her in dance - he described her dancing as "very workmanlike." I would agree. She is showing a little personality in her dances these days, but honestly, it's so little most of the time that there's no appreciable difference from when she first started. "No joy" is a good way to describe it as well. She seems to be having a good time in rehearsals and after the dance is over, but during the dance, it really doesn't look like she's enjoying herself most of the time. It's just another "routine" she has to learn and get through. Whatever the judges see in her is lost on me, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show last night, but there's just something "suspicious" to me when Aly and Jacoby scored higher than Z and Kellie. I call "manipulation."

LadyMustang65
Power User

Posts : 492
Likes : 84
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by Guest on Tue May 14, 2013 11:50 am

Slightly OT and in response to LadyMustang65:

Alvin Ailey's work is not billed as afro-jazz. The troupe is billed as an American company; the fact that they are all black has nothing to do with afro-jazz. Here's a link to part of his website: http://www.alvinailey.org/about

I've seen them perform and this is JMHO.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by victorian3 on Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 pm

LadyMustang65 wrote:
victorian3 wrote:BUT, I DID like her Afro jazz number (yes lady mustang I know you did not). That dance style was taught to my class in NYC for two months by a dance troupe. I danced with them (VERY taxing on the body). Thjey were spot on except for the last 15-20 seconds where they stuck in her usual shimmy shake of her shoilders. That was not done at all with the dance troupe I worked with. They told me shaking shoulders was not correct form. I liked it though. Allie and Mark were in sync and it looked as it should, but that rhumba left me quite underwhelmed.


I don't have a problem with others liking something I did not. Smile Part of my issue with the AfroJazz was the costuming and Mark's facial gestures, if you will. The only thing I know of AfroJazz is what I've seen on SYTYCD, and I generally like it. But I don't think I've ever seen them go the "jungle native" (for lack of a better word) that Mark (and Derek with Shawn last season) seem to love to go. Their routine reminded me more of something I'd see in an old Hollywood "Road to" movie with Bob Hope than something I'd see from Alvin Ailey or something. Mark just seems to think that anything African or "native" has to mean acting like a monkey on crack. I will say that it played to Aly's strength of stomping around, and they did a good job of being in sync for the most part. But overall I found the routine and costuming to be too "stereotypical" maybe? I'm not sure exactly. I just know I generally like AfroJazz on SYTYCD, and what Mark and Aly danced didn't remind me at all of that. Maybe SYTYCD gets it wrong? I don't know. It's also entirely possible that I was predisposed to dislike it just because of the "jungle" dance Mark did last season with Shawn and Derek, or I may be being entirely too critical because I was still annoyed with the 30 for that rumba. That happens. I would have given them 9s for it just because it was danced fairly well, but overall I did not like it.

ladyMustang, you sure do have me laughing with your description of their version of the dance--especialy the part about a BobHope movie. I do recall some movie where I saw "natives" dressed like that and dancing around...maybe I am thinking of King Kong??? Anyway, with your detailed explanation I see your point and kind of agree on those parts. i was just commenting on the actual style and steps. Their version was not as good as what was taught to my class. So if we each bend a little which we did, we meet in the middle and are in agreement after all:Very Happy

victorian3
Power User

Posts : 871
Likes : 3
Join date : 2013-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by LadyMustang65 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:00 pm

newto the boards wrote:Slightly OT and in response to LadyMustang65:

Alvin Ailey's work is not billed as afro-jazz. The troupe is billed as an American company; the fact that they are all black has nothing to do with afro-jazz. Here's a link to part of his website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've seen them perform and this is JMHO.

Hi newto:

I think my post came out wrong. I didn't mean to imply that Alvin Ailey was an afro-jazz company. I've never had the pleasure of seeing them perform live, but I have seen them in televised performances many times. They're fabulous. What I meant was that I have seen them do pieces that I would have classified as "afro-jazz" (although they may not have been that at all), and none of it was the feathers and cannibals thing that I think of when I think of Mark and Aly. Smile Must have been wonderful to see the company live!!

LadyMustang65
Power User

Posts : 492
Likes : 84
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by LadyMustang65 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 pm

victorian3 wrote:So if we each bend a little which we did, we meet in the middle and are in agreement after all:Very Happy

Isn't it great when there's a meeting of the minds? Smile

LadyMustang65
Power User

Posts : 492
Likes : 84
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by victorian3 on Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm

LadyMustang65 wrote:
victorian3 wrote:So if we each bend a little which we did, we meet in the middle and are in agreement after all:Very Happy

Isn't it great when there's a meeting of the minds? Smile
Totally Smile Maybe we should replace some judges there...

victorian3
Power User

Posts : 871
Likes : 3
Join date : 2013-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by Guest on Tue May 14, 2013 2:56 pm

LadyMustang65 wrote:
Hi newto:

I think my post came out wrong. I didn't mean to imply that Alvin Ailey was an afro-jazz company. I've never had the pleasure of seeing them perform live, but I have seen them in televised performances many times. They're fabulous. What I meant was that I have seen them do pieces that I would have classified as "afro-jazz" (although they may not have been that at all), and none of it was the feathers and cannibals thing that I think of when I think of Mark and Aly. Smile Must have been wonderful to see the company live!!

Lady Mustang - I just wanted to set the record straight. Yes, I saw them live at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. They are wonderful and awe-inspiring. As for Mark and Aly's get-up, it reminded me more of some Caribbean thing you see on the islands. I thought the costumes were garish and I didn't care for the choreography.
Again, JMHO.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by SLA44 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Well that was no big surprise! No

SLA44
Power User

Posts : 19796
Likes : 1196
Join date : 2013-03-03
Location : Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Re: DWTS Ninth Week semi finals

Post by LadyMustang65 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 pm

So glad it wasn't Zendaya going home, but I wonder who was the other one in the bottom 2, since they made it a point to say "not necessarily" the bottom two (which is code for it's not the bottome 2). My guess is that Aly was the other one in the bottom two.

Sad to Ingo go. He was a sweetheart, and he has a real cute kid. But he was the right one to go.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Posts : 492
Likes : 84
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum