Post by dori1333 Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:46 am

Great idea! Thank you for the correction! Sorry
dori1333
dori1333
Power User

Back to top Go down

General Chit Chat Season 23 - Page 12 Empty Re: General Chit Chat Season 23

Post by bluechipdude Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:25 pm

GymGirlJane wrote:I am going to drop this discussion.  I do not want to argue with you Psychee.  You are a totally nice person and I like you very much.  There has been too much division in this country over this past election.

Time to heal and in our specific case get back to talking about DWTS.  Go Laurie!!!!!!!!!!! Hello
GGJ, a friend of mine who lives a couple of streets over from me stopped by with his lab on a leash.We hadn't seen each other for a while so we had plenty of things to talk about. Like the Cubs winning the world series. After that things turned to the election and the Electoral College. I was hoping he could explain it to me and vice versa buy alas we were both dummies on the subject. So Jane please enlighten me on it. I know each Senator gets one vote as well as each Rep of that state, and the number of senators is fixed at two per state, but the number of reps is determined by the population of that state. The least number of reps is one. Ok this is where it gets murky. Who are these electors and can they vote just as they feel? Are they political hacks? How do they get the job? Help me understand the workings of the beast. Confused   

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:00 am

well, the slate of electors (equal to the number of senators and members of the House) is  chosen by the political parties in each state pursuant to the rules of that state.   So obviously they are people connected to the party -- state party leaders etc.  Its expected that the electors will vote for the presidential candidate who won the popular vote in their state (its winner take all except in I think Maine and nebraska where its apportioned according to the votes in the various congressional districts).  There is no federal law requiring this, but some states (not the majority) have state laws requiring it I think and in some states the electors make a pledge to follow the popular vote in their state.  Its extremely rare for an elector not to vote for their party's candidate though it has happened -- do not ask me when or who because I don;t know.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:53 pm

Psychee: sorry you had that experience, no matter who the players were. That would be hard to forget, when you have had to compromise your values over something that should not have been an issue.  Thanks for sharing that.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:56 pm

dori1333 wrote:Great idea! Thank you for the correction! Sorry

You don't ever have to be sorry for something like that dori!      Love, love the dog and puppy......put a big ol' smile on my face!!! Very Happy

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:26 pm

BlueChip/Tango

As somewhat of an aside, there is the National Popular Vote thing that a number of state's have signed onto.  Its supposed to take effect when states with a total of 105 electoral votes sign on to it.  The signator states would then require (I think it would be a requirement anyway) their electors to vote for the winner of the national popular vote (as opposed to the state popular vote).  I am admittedly a bit hazy on this.  But it is basically a way of eliminating the impact of the electoral college without eliminating the electoral college itself which would require either a 2/3 majority of both the House and the Senate followed by ratification 3/4 of the states.  Either that or a constitutional convention
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by therealdfshary Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:01 pm

I have a friend that worked for him & swears that everything that was said about him is true. She went even further & told me other horrible things. She resigned because of all the sexual harassment. She actually felt sorry for his pregnant wife. 
I feel that the country will be set back 50 years now. This is just the beginning of hell for anybody that is a senior.
therealdfshary
therealdfshary
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:48 pm

To get ready for the show tonight, I suggest watching the AT of Danny Mac and Oti Mabuse (a close friend of Keo) from Strictly. The song arrangement was not ideal for AT but they did a fabulous interpretation and incorporated a few moves that we have not seen yet in DWTS. And Danny is a great dancer that combines the skill of Corbin Bleu with the sexiness of Gilles Marini. Nice aperitif for the evening.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:12 pm

Danny and Oti mesmerized me with that AT. No wonder they ended up at the top of the leaderboard. Oti is such a skilled choreographer. Strictly is so fundamentally different from DWTS and I enjoy each for different reasons.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:20 am

GymGirlJane wrote:BlueChip/Tango

As somewhat of an aside, there is the National Popular Vote thing that a number of state's have signed onto.  Its supposed to take effect when states with a total of 105 electoral votes sign on to it.  The signator states would then require (I think it would be a requirement anyway) their electors to vote for the winner of the national popular vote (as opposed to the state popular vote).  I am admittedly a bit hazy on this.  But it is basically a way of eliminating the impact of the electoral college without eliminating the electoral college itself which would require either a 2/3 majority of both the House and the Senate followed by ratification 3/4 of the states.  Either that or a constitutional convention
GGJ: Thanks for your explanation of The Electoral College. So it's who gets the popular vote in a state gets all the electoral votes of that state. Thanks  

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:35 am

For the most part, yes.  But remember there are 2 states that are not winner take all and the popular vote determines the electors (not the actual votes, although almost always the electors vote for the party they are slated to vote for)
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:17 am

GymGirlJane wrote:For the most part, yes.  But remember there are 2 states that are not winner take all and the popular vote determines the electors (not the actual votes, although almost always the electors vote for the party they are slated to vote for)
SU I would assume that there is one elector from each party that is watching the state vote count and at some point they call the state for Hillary or Trump. Cool

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:00 am

bluechipdude wrote:

SU I would assume that there is one elector from each party that is watching the state vote count and at some point they call the state for Hillary or Trump. Cool
Not quite sure if you are serious about this.  But just in case you are  -- the electors do not "call" the election.  There are official certified election results.  They are published and in mid December all the electors go and cast their vote.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by dori1333 Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:26 am

From what I understand ,there is a petition going around asking the electorate to change their minds in mid December! I received it from Change.org! It seems there is a small charge for changing and Change has agreed to pay the costs! So evidently its still not settled! Hillary has  now up to 770,000  popular votes! Something is terribly wrong with all of this! I wouldn't trust anything Trump is involved in!The petition has millions!
dori1333
dori1333
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:39 pm

James' Facebook page talks about using a meme generator at the DWTS ABC website to create a meme of your favorite team that you can then use in other social media.  The generator provides you with three different photos and three different texts for each team that you choose and then combine to create your meme photo.  You can then download your chosen photo to your system and it also becomes a part of their ongoing meme stream.  So far at the moment a lot of James and Sharna fans have been using it.  

NOTE:  Unfortunately it seems the Canadians are having problems using the generator.  But give it a try and see if you have any luck.

http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/meme-generator

Here is mine for TeamStopAndGo!    Very Happy
General Chit Chat Season 23 - Page 12 Meme10

Very Happy
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Love it, sue. I tried but I must have done something wrong. I will give it another shot.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:19 am

It doesn't work over here either. But then, I don't need them. I'll figure out something myself.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:39 am

It worked this time!

General Chit Chat Season 23 - Page 12 Img_0325
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:10 am

DeadManDancing wrote:It doesn't work over here either. But then, I don't need them. I'll figure out something myself.
Brother, James has made all the TeamStopAndGo memes available on his FB page. Have a look. He knows that so many of their fans can't use the ABC site. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks, sis. Taking this over to where it belongs...
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Hmmmm. . .wondering what is happening with the DWTS Facebook page.  Have not been able to get in since yesterday.
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:48 pm

I just checked the page, sue. Got on, no problem but still only Laurie, Jana and Calvin dances up. No James and Sharna. It's bugging me and people are starting to complain.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:31 pm

I'm really not much of a social media user normally.  I managed to get access to the DWTS Facebook page when I actually logged in, but when I'm logged out all I get is a "Sorry, something went wrong" error page.  Normally even if I'm not logged in I should be receiving the FB page, not an error page.  Have you ever had that kind of response?
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:58 pm

I honestly have no idea what's going on with you and FB, sue. I'm logged in to FB pretty well all the time so I've never seen an error page like you mention. Oh, you do have a FB account don't you or are you just browsing FB?

Still no James/Sharna AT up on the page. Getting a little fishy, I think.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:27 am

Most of the time I browse Facebook rather than actually logging in.  I seem to have no problem looking at other Facebook pages on the internet without logging.  It is just that recently when I try to simply look at DWTS Facebook I get that error page--even if I'm using a bookmarked link or doing a search and enter from Google.  At least I seem to be able to have access when I actually log in, but it just seems strange.  I guess if most everyone else is not having that problem with DWTS, then it probably involves some factors regarding my computer system.
suebob16
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top