Post by therealdfshary Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:20 pm

Great picture. I love it...Thanks for sharing... Very Happy
therealdfshary
therealdfshary
Power User

Back to top Go down

General Chit Chat Season 23 - Page 11 Empty Re: General Chit Chat Season 23

Post by DeadManDancing Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:What great costumes.  That doesn't even look like Maks.
You're right. I thought it was Billy Idol.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Trick or Treating only started here 90 minutes ago, and I have already had 75 kids at my door...
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:52 pm

I was wondering if the kids from the neighbourhood would show up. Then I suddenly realized most of them have a driving license by now.
Maybe in a few years, when they have kids of their own.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:16 pm

I didn't realize that the kids did that in Germany.   Or is this yet another holiday tradition that we got from the Germans to begin with... like Christmas trees?

Anyway, I handed out 90 Tootsie Roll Pops -- one each -- to the kids who showed up here.  What is very different from when I was a kid is that parents no longer are able to trust their kids to be unsupervised.  Which is so sad because the neighborhood has not changed at all in 50 years;  it is just as safe now as it was back then, but it is the sign of the times.... Every kid yesterday was accompanied by a supervising adult who stayed in the street, socializing with other adults as the kids rang doorbells. 

50 years ago, we would have been mortified to have adults with us.  But then again, every mother knew every other mother in the neighborhood and they all collectively watched out for us through their kitchen windows.  Today, families are more private.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Psychee22 wrote:I didn't realize that the kids did that in Germany.   Or is this yet another holiday tradition that we got from the Germans to begin with... like Christmas trees?

In this case, it was actually the other way round. November 1st has always been a holiday (All Hollows' Eve= Allerheiligen), but the whole pumpkins, and costumes, and trick or treat fashion was totally unknown here when I was a kid. I think it only became fashionable maybe twenty years ago.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Sadly a sign of the times is that the entire time I've lived in the place I am now we've not had one ToTer. Not even when kids lived in the building. I never see any out on the streets either.

When I was young you would go on a street to ToT and there were kids everywhere. No adults, just kids in costumes getting some candy.

I miss seeing little kids all dressed up saying "Trick or Treat".

I'm even going to miss the after holiday candy sales because I feel like crap.

/whining  Very Happy
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:36 am

Has anyone tried to watch the show on the abc website? That's where I watch it the next day. I have to sign in with my cable provider, but I never have had any problems until yesterday. When I click on to watch the whole show it gives me an error that my parental controls won't let me view this content. I do not have parental controls. I can watch the dances one at a time with no problem, but not the whole show. No  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:38 am

Could it have had something to do with the elections?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:50 am

I thought it might have something to do with changing cable providers, but it's not even bringing the page of providers up to sign into. I sent a message to abc, not really expecting any help from them.
  The elections? Don't know, I still think the Russians are behind the glitches. Biting nails   

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:01 pm

That's unusual it doesn't show the page of providers.  It must be the Russians.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:03 pm

If it's really the Russians, Donald will fix it. Confused
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:07 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:If it's really the Russians, Donald will fix it. Confused

Guess I might have to let 'The Donald' kiss me Yuck LOL so I can get it fixed......and no Putin you can't watch!! 

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Tommy Chong says: "Relax, If we could survive Nixon, we can survive The Donald!"
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Babs2147 wrote:Tommy Chong says: "Relax, If we could survive Nixon, we can survive The Donald!"

So true sis .........we will survive!!!     Need to see if Tommy can express ship some 'relaxation' meds to me, my glaucoma is acting up Giggle  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:59 pm

I hate to be a fly in the feel good ointment, but even though a big part of me wants to believe that we will survive, I don't think that Tommy is being sufficiently worried about the nuclear threat that Trump presents to the world. 

And yet, I don't know how my being fearful will help the situation. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:59 am

I wouldn't worry about Trump and nuclear war. He supported deescalation of the two big conflicts that could lead to generalized nuclear war: our relationship with Russia and the South China Sea issue with China. With Trump and a Republican Congress I worry about extreme corporatist control of the Supreme Court for decades, elimination of safety nets for those that are suffering the most, massive reduction of taxes for the rich, the possible bankruptcy of the nation (Trump has a lot of experience with that), and xenophobic attacks against immigrants (of which I'm one). We need to support a filibustering Democratic minority in the Senate to block Trump's worst proposals and work hard to regain Congress in two years.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:35 pm

bailadora wrote:I wouldn't worry about Trump and nuclear war. He supported deescalation of the two big conflicts that could lead to generalized nuclear war: our relationship with Russia and the South China Sea issue with China. With Trump and a Republican Congress I worry about extreme corporatist control of the Supreme Court for decades, elimination of safety nets for those that are suffering the most, massive reduction of taxes for the rich, the possible  bankruptcy of the nation (Trump has a lot of experience with that), and xenophobic attacks against immigrants (of which I'm one). We need to support a filibustering Democratic minority in the Senate to block Trump's worst proposals and work hard to regain Congress in two years.
I think we will be able breathe a sigh of relief on nuclear war onece back door Barry leaves office. You remember him trying to get NATO to expand it's membership with countries that border Russia and lately provoking them in Syria. Surely he must realize that we have a arms treaty with them. Each side is limited to 1500 nuclear weapons pointed anywhere they want to, which includes from submarines . I think Donald is thinking that for thrift reasons that maybe it isn't a bad idea to see if we can't work together to defeat ISSIS and other enemies. Makes sense to me,we'll have to wait and see. I never cut Nixon much slack when he was in office, but years later looked back on that era and concluded he did a pretty fair job. He opened up dialogue with China and had the guts to end the Vietnam War. Bailadora, In general I agree most every thing you said. The tax cut could be the most massive ever and benefit only the wealthiest.

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:21 pm

bailadora wrote: . . .the possible  bankruptcy of the nation (Trump has a lot of experience with that), 
Actually he has very little experience with Bankruptcy.  He currently owns or has a controlling interest in over 500 companies -- real estate, hotels, golf courses and other businesses  all over the world.  500.  Historically, four of his companies went into Chapter 11.  Thats well below 1% -- not that high compared to other people who operate on his level.    And sometimes bankruptcy is just a sound business decision.  Trump is one of the most successful businessmen in the world.  I do not know his exact worth but its somewhere in between 2 and 10 billion dollars.  Forbes estimates it at 4 billion USD I think.  I don;t think you need to fret about the U.S. going bankrupt during his tenure.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:20 pm

(Conversation carried over from Laurie and Val thread)

Of course no one hears negative stuff from Trump's employees, GGJ.. The man is ruthless in his paybacks and he has all the money he needs to ruin people's lives.  Look how he responds to criticism!  Very few are in a position to risk his vendettas.   And employees know where their bread is buttered.  That's survival.  You cannot trust a single positive thing that an employee says about him unless they have totally severed their ties with him. 

As for the bills.... 3500 law suits, Jane.  I was personally involved in one of them, forced to testify on his behalf because of the hold he had on my husband.  I was convincing.  He won the suit.  But he should not have.   It was a simple, non-construction-related bill, for a service that he contracted for.  I did not feel good about myself that day, and I remember it as one of the first things that made me question the terms of my marriage. 

But I don't want to fight with you about him.   You don't believe these stories, so you like him.   You might even be his lawyer. 

There isn't a thing I could say on an anonymous board to change that.

But do not for one minute believe that I would make up what I wrote about this or about my being warned by my husband to stay clear of the man back in the 70's because of his inappropriate touching of wives.  You should know me better than that.  I would never make up a story like that about any human being.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:22 am

Psychee22 wrote:(Conversation carried over from Laurie and Val thread)

Of course no one hears negative stuff from Trump's employees, GGJ.. The man is ruthless in his paybacks and he has all the money he needs to ruin people's lives.  Look how he responds to criticism!  Very few are in a position to risk his vendettas.   And employees know where their bread is buttered.  That's survival.  You cannot trust a single positive thing that an employee says about him unless they have totally severed their ties with him. 

As for the bills.... 3500 law suits, Jane.  I was personally involved in one of them, forced to testify on his behalf because of the hold he had on my husband.  I was convincing.  He won the suit.  But he should not have.   It was a simple, non-construction-related bill, for a service that he contracted for.  I did not feel good about myself that day, and I remember it as one of the first things that made me question the terms of my marriage. 

But I don't want to fight with you about him.   You don't believe these stories, so you like him.   You might even be his lawyer. 

But do not for one minute believe that I would make up what I wrote about this or about my being warned by my husband to stay clear of the man back in the 70's because of his inappropriate touching of wives.  You should know me better than that.  I would never make up a story like that about any human being.
I have never represented Donald Trump or the Trump Organization, although I have been involved in litigations he was a party in.  I came away respecting him.  Nuff said.  

And of course I believe what you are saying. I do not doubt for one minute that your husband said those things.  And I realize your husband had a fee dispute with him.  So has every single person who ever did business with any real estate developer (including me).  Its part of the cost of doing business with them.  That was my point.  Non payment of final bills is an industry standard with those guys and anyone who does any business with them knows that.  

So telling me that trump has been sued 3500 times -- while I don't know the actual numbers myself -- is of no surprise.  Show me one major real estate developer who was not.  It says nothing about the guy personally, and everything about the industry which is as tough as an industry gets.  Trump is an altar boy compared to most in his industry.  Trust me on that one.

And someone who was on the losing side of a fee dispute with Trump is not exactly the most objective person when it comes to assessing his character.

As far as his employees not being willing to say anything bad about him -- sorry but you are way off base here Psychee.  I know many people in business who are disliked by their employees and people do talk about these things.  Especially to lawyers who they know are discreet.  Ex-employees of course jump at the chance.  Trump has long had a reputation for being adored by his employees and I have known a bunch of people who work at the Trump Organization.  Its really very obvious how much people there love him.  The ultimate proof lies in the fact that people stay there for years and years.  

Is he a rough kind of a guy?  of course he is.  he made billions in the toughest industry I know.  But all of the people I know in NY who actually know the guy well consider him one of the nicest most generous people they know.  That those characteristics come alongside his very rough nature and aggressive style of doing business is, however, undeniable.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by dori1333 Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:44 am

Psychee22 wrote:(Conversation carried over from Laurie and Val thread)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe everything you said   and Im sorry you had to compromise your values because of this arrogant fool !  You will never convince his followers! They are the equivilence of  people in a cult! It will only get you upset in the long run! They excuse everything thats corrupt and inexcusable about him!  God Help us!

dori1333
dori1333
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:40 am

dori1333 wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe everything you said   and Im sorry you had to compromise your values because of this arrogant fool !  You will never convince his followers! They are the equivilence of  people in a cult! It will only get you upset in the long run! They excuse everything thats corrupt and inexcusable about him!  God Help us!

I believe you mean the "equivalent of people in a cult!"  And by the way, I am not one of "his followers"  I just do not like this silly, over the top obsessive hatred of the man, anymore than I like the vilification of Hilary by the other side.  I believe in civil discourse and reasoned argument and debate about the candidates' positions and political philosophy.  Not a bunch of a silly accusations and name calling.  God help us indeed.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:44 pm

[removed]

Last edited by Psychee22 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:48 am

I am going to drop this discussion.  I do not want to argue with you Psychee.  You are a totally nice person and I like you very much.  There has been too much division in this country over this past election.

Time to heal and in our specific case get back to talking about DWTS.  Go Laurie!!!!!!!!!!! Hello
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top