Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 4 Empty Derek's TV Guide Blog 13 Oct 2016

Post by Psychee22 Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Dancing's Derek Hough: I'm Thrilled Marilu Finally Had Her Moment

by Derek Hough | Oct 13, 2016 4:27 PM EDT

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your votes!

We did it! I'm so happy for Marilu. I thought our Viennese waltz went perfectly. I really wanted her to experience that feeling of triumph. I think that the song was great, the dance was great, the whole atmosphere was great for Marilu. The fact that the dance was for her mom made it even more special. My new approach of trying to let her feel out the dance worked. I was really happy for her to experience that. That was really all I wanted from last week. The judges' reactions were amazing, something I don't think either of us expect. She loves this experience and she loves the show, so I was truly thrilled for her to finally have her moment.

The funny thing is, I found the song we danced to, "Surprise Yourself" by Jack Garratt, and the producers wanted to use a different song. I asked why and they were like, "No one knows it." But I stood my ground. It was the perfect song for Marilu and the dance. Plus, even if the song is not well known, people might search for it afterward and make it well known. It only helps everyone. We got so many messages afterward asking us what the song was. It was the same thing with my freestyle with Kellie Pickler -- no one knew that song either, but everyone asked afterward about it.

After having that breakthrough, I think it kind of takes the pressure off of us. I know it does for me personally. I feel like a broken record, but I really just wanted her to experience that joy. I think Marilu is no longer scared of disappointing me! All jokes aside, we talked about it. I said I understand and I said, "This is your experience. This is your journey. I'm here to help. I'm here to serve. This is yours. I want you to own it." I think she gets it now and we're good. I don't want her to be scared of me! I am probably the least scary person in the world!

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 4 1450527491

I'm going to try to take the same approach this week and let her feel out the dance again. But it's harder with the cha-cha because there's more visible technique with the dance that you can see. This is one of the first dances where her legs will be exposed. So we're working on refining her legs. From a technical aspect, I want her to work on the spotting, the settling of the weight on the floor, the hip action, the turns and making sure she keeps it small. But as an overall dance, I want to try to find moments where she can enjoy it and focus on the technique of the dance without over-thinking it.

We had a little song drama this week too. There was some miscommunication and we thought we had a salsa because our song is so salsa-like. So for all of Tuesday, we were prepping a salsa, and then they were like, "No, you have a cha-cha." We're calling it a "chalsa." The song is so salsa that I feel like I have to incorporate some salsa moves into it. Plus, it's Latin Week, so we want to make it fun and vibrant.

Thanks for reading! See you Monday!
Derek
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 4 Empty Re: Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Derek is right. A lot of the songs he has used over the years have caught my interest, too. They should give him a radio-show where he can play his favorite tunes.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 4 Empty Re: Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Post by Psychee22 Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 pm

Marilu you looked like a 20 yr old out there!! You two had a breakthrough in your partnership and showed.....great ChaChaCha.....!!! Really enjoyed it, I was smiling throughout the whole dance Very Happy    

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:09 pm

I really have to compliment Derek.  By nature, he is OCD about perfecting the choreo.  But he just stifled all that this week and gave her control, even against his better judgement because he felt that that was what she needs to feel free and enjoy the dancing.  Can you imagine how difficult that would be for an OCD person?  Talk about commitment to his celeb...  BRAVO, young man, BRAVO. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 pm

TVGuide:  Today’s News

Dancing's Derek Hough: We Haven't Started Rehearsing Yet!
by Derek Hough | Oct 20, 2016 1:22 PM EDT

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your votes!

How'd you like our "chalsa"? I though Marilu did a great job. It was a pretty difficult routine with a lot of footwork and it's wildly different from a Viennese waltz, which is "easier," so to speak. But she handled it really well.

What was nice about it was that halfway through the dance, she started laughing. She was having such a good time and started laughing. It made me so happy to see that. She's never done that before on the show. But during practices, she would make a mistake and then say, "Oh, sorry, I was celebrating the stuff before." So when we were dancing, I was thinking, "Oh, she's celebrating. Stay focused! Stay focused!" And she did! And how good did we look in coral? That was a little throwback to the old school Dancing with the Stars Latin costumes. That was totally a look I used to wear when I competed!

This week is going to be pretty fun. It's Eras Week and we have the Charleston. I had a really busy day Wednesday. I was doing another project for something else all day, so I wasn't able to see Marilu, but I went in last night and choreographed the routine.

After I get done with Hairspray rehearsals today, I'm going to go over and rehearse with her. So to answer the question you're probably thinking: No, we haven't gone through the whole routine yet! Tonight will be the first time. I think it will be fine. I'm trying to stay ahead of the game and pre-plan so that way tonight when we finally rehearse, we can go full at it. I put a little surprise in there as well.

Oh yeah, there's a team dance too! We're on Team Future with Laurie and Val, Terra and Sasha, and Jana and Gleb. We're going to do a full rehearsal tomorrow or Saturday. We have a really weird song, but we figured out a narrative. There are still things to create and figure out. It's things that you think in your mind might be brilliant but when you try it, you're like, "Uh, maybe we should try something else." I would say right now, there's some stuff in our heads and we have to make them a reality when we get together.

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 4 1451150504

The concept is kind of a common futuristic story. The routine starts in a world where we're all kind of the same, but as it progresses into our solo sections, it breaks free and showcases everyone's personalities. It's more of a rigid, grid-line, oppressed beginning and by the end, it's a more expressive, individualistic oasis. I'm having flashbacks of my futuristic paso with Joanna Krupa! That was the first time "future" was introduced into the show, which is kind of hilarious when you think about it. Everyone had a past or current decade and we had the future!

As I mentioned, I have Hairspray rehearsals today. It's the first day and we have a table read. I'm very excited! Corny Collins in the house! Things are going to get a little more hectic now that Hairspray is starting, but I'm not really worried about that aspect of it. I just need to take care of myself and my voice. I still have a stress cough. It won't go away for some reason. I'm trying to get rid of that, so hopefully I don't get sick again!

The most exciting news of the week is hands-down Mark's Broadway debut in Jersey Boys! I'm so stoked for him. I won't be able to see him until after Hairspray airs on Dec. 7. My dad went to his first show though. I got him and his wife tickets to Hamilton. They got meet Lin-Manuel Miranda which is really cool. They stayed in New York a couple days and went to Mark's opening night. He was texting me the whole night with pictures. So it was like I was there! My dad said the audience loved him and they cheered when he came on. If you're in New York, and even if you're not, go check out Mark!

Thanks for reading! See you Monday!
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 pm

So...the crunch is on.  Derek's Hairspray rehearsals have started and they now have two dances to do as well.  Plus, he apparently filmed a new water feature video yesterday, but this time with Jules. Busy boy.

For the first time in the show's history, I think, Derek is choreographing first, then teaching it to his partner.  Makes sense as a way to prevent her from remembering more than one version of the dance.  He keeps trying to find new ways to adapt to her learning style. 

I'm happy to hear that he and the team found a way to envision their Future team dance.  It doesn't seem so bad now, as he usually warns his fans if things don't look so good. 

And he's right about the peach.  That color looked great on both of them. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:15 pm

I thought right away their dance looked more like a ChaCha-Salsa fusion, and he just confirmed it.
This is a great partnership. Others may have peaked already, but not Marilu. I hope Derek finds a better way to handle his busy schedule than he did on his season with Nastia. Sasha is not available right now.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Oh, the scheduling problems he had with Nastia were because he was in New York City and she was in LA.  Then later there was that double foot injury that Sasha also helped out with. 

At least this season he is anchored to LA for both his commitments.

I think the water filming thing with Julianne might have been done for the show's finale...  but I could be wrong.  He's trying to launch a YouTube channel.  The fans love it, there's money to be made there,  the sky is the limit for creativity, it gives him more experience directing, and it has attracted the interests of awards shows.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by believeinme246 Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:36 am

I actually think that they have been doing better than some other couples who are receiving higher scores. They are hot out there together and Marilu can move and bend!
believeinme246
believeinme246
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:00 pm

So very sad for this team tonight.  She looked gorgeous, but she just didn't move fast enough or large enough or energetic enough.  Her dancing just seemed too dainty and very self-protective.   Even during the little tap dancing bit. 

I also had to bite my lip during the lifts.  She might think she can do everything, but in my mind, she is just too old for that.   Why take that risk?

And then she FELL during the group dance... how did THAT happen? 

Anyway, they are on the bottom of the leader board this week.  Should make for a nail-biting elimination next week.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:56 am

It was a tough day for Marilu. The fall during the team dance did not affect the performance from a TV viewer perspective, but probably did to the live audience (including to the judges). I really believe that judges should evaluate the performance that's broadcast just as a theater critic reviews a play by what happens on the stage and not behind it.

Derek was careful to create a Charleston that was not too fast except for that tap sequence that tripped Marilu horribly. Apparently she had done it well during rehearsals. Hopefully she can come back with a strong performance next week

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 4 1451813657

Today’s News

Dancing's Derek Hough: Marilu's Feet Were Killing Her Last Week
by Derek Hough | Oct 28, 2016 2:25 PM EDT

Hey everyone!
Thanks for your votes and messages!
Monday night wasn't the best for us, but I'm very proud of Marilu for what she did and pushing through. They didn't show it, but Marilu's feet were killing her last week. It started last Thursday while we were dancing, and Marilu started mentioning that her feet were hurting. There's a lot of hopping in the Charleston and I don't think her feet were used to that. They got progressively worse, so much so that she could literally barely walk down the stairs on show day. She had injections and numbing cream. She tried all these different things to no avail. It was just a combination of things. Her feet hurt, her ribs hurt, she broke out into hives one day.
By the time Monday came around, she was in a lot of pain. When you watch the routine, you can really see she was really timid. That dance was honestly pretty good when we first rehearsed it. We were both really excited about it. Having to do the team dance didn't help either, obviously, and as you saw, she fell over in that. During that move, we were supposed to come together, push off each other, separate, and I kind of guide her. I moved her a little, but if you look closely, she caught her foot and tripped over her feet. I was like, "Are you OK? Are you OK? I'm so sorry." And she was like, "I'm landed on my butt. I'm totally fine!" That is so Marilu. She wasn't like, "Aw, man, I'm so bummed I fell." She was like, "I fell on my butt, I'm good." Somebody said to me afterward, "Derek, you need to calm down. You're literally dragging her." I was like, "Really, guys? Really?"

It is what it is. These things happen, which is OK. We're at the point in the season where the physicality of it all catches up to everyone. I'm kind of surprised it didn't come up on the show. It was a big thing on set last week. I think they'll definitely show it this week because she really was just in agony that entire show.

Marilu's doing a whole lot better now. She took Tuesday off to rest her feet and saw a doctor. Nothing's broken; she just has two bruised bursas. We have the Argentine tango this week and my main goal is to make sure she feels comfortable and to take care of her feet. The first part of the routine I'm gonna try to do in a chair and do some choreography for her there, kind of what I did with Amber Riley when she hurt her knees and I figured out a way to do the beginning of the dance on a table so she could rest her knees. I told her that people's ribs could get sore in the Argentine tango, so she came in with a whole rib brace, which is good. We're being careful.
I don't know what my Halloween costume is going to be in real life, but we're doing a spider theme for the dance. She's a black widow and I get trapped in her web. It's kind of cool the way it starts. We're going to kind of make the web. I went to a fabric store on Tuesday and bought some white elastics and we're going to do this choreography with them.
There's also a dance-off this week, but honestly, I'm not even thinking about it yet. I'm just trying to get this one dance out for her. The dance-off styles are jive, cha-cha and salsa. The good news is we incorporated some salsa in our cha-cha for our "chalsa," so those two would be virtually the same. And the jive was our first dance, so she already knows it as well. I'm planning on just doing minor refreshers on all three of them every day.
I'm currently on the Hairspray set going over my lines. Things are going really well so far. We went to see the set on the backlot. It's so cool to see them build everything. It's really looking great. We've been doing a lot of the performances so far, so today is my first real day with any scenes. Wish me luck!
Thanks for reading!
Derek
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Seems like Derek will be dancing with the furniture again!
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:39 pm

He tried every which way and sideways to build up her confidence -- AGAIN -- but to no avail.  Her dance was painful to watch.  She was stiff, she was over-careful, she had an opportunity to act and did not, and she hit him in the head, lol... I don't think there is a chance in hell that she will be safe next week, but that is OK.  It is time for her to go.  She is the weakest dancer left.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:59 am

Indeed  I fear for Derek's safety if she remains another week.
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:07 am

Derek's fan base pulled them through this week but that can't go on forever. It wasn't good and Derek's concept had great potential if only Marilu could have risen to the occasion. Ryan and Cheryl completely outdanced them.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:11 am

Yes, she seems to overthink things and doesn't let go.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:30 am

I wish they were at least having a bit of fun.Even if you are not the best dancer you can still enjoy the process ... a little.

I thought she would be an up-beat contestant,she is so different than how I thought she'd be.
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:59 am

I thought I'd be the last person defending Marilu.  lol.  She looks fabulous but like many people her age, her looks hide her weaknesses.  Her body looks twenty years younger than her bones.  Great legs!  I have to give her credit for working through the pain.

Yes, she's the weakest dancer left, but until I read Derek's above blog, I had no idea just how much pain she was enduring.  Agreed.  It's time for her to go - and rest.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:43 am

I've said a lot about her on the Week 8 thread, and I won't repeat myself. What I'd like to add though is I truly wish she get's a chance to end on a high note.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:40 pm

Lesallee wrote:Derek's fan base pulled them through this week but that can't go on forever. It wasn't good and Derek's concept had great potential if only Marilu could have risen to the occasion. Ryan and Cheryl completely outdanced them.
It would not surprise me if Derek's huge fan base enables them to reach the finals, while a more deserving couple
is eliminated. No
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Who would be eliminated before Marilu?  Maybe Terra?  I don't know if it's just Marilu's dancing.  I always feel mixed about Marilu.  There are certain situations I like her in.  She seems like a nice person, but sometimes she comes off as a little smug or distant. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Terra only has one point more than Marilu and it is possible that Marilu's / Derek's fans will cover that small advantage in votes, but I think that would suck.  Terra is fun to watch, Marilu is not. 

I wish she would down a few shots of saki before her next performance.  Then she might look like she is having fun.

I do not want to see her in the finals.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Babs2147 wrote:

It would not surprise me if Derek's huge fan base enables them to reach the finals, while a more deserving couple
is eliminated. No
Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.  hairpull
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top