Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 5 Empty Re: Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Post by bailadora Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:51 pm

I doubt that Marilu's troubles are merely physical. Derek is a gentleman and tried to publicly blame her issues to foot pain. If we have learned anything about Derek throughout all his years in the show is that he is able to adapt his choreographies to whatever physical limitations his partners have. He has not been successful with Marilu because she seems to be suffering from classic performance anxiety: she is nailing the routines during rehearsal and then freezing during the show. This seems strange coming from a veteran performer but it seems that dancing live with the most successful dancer is creating a psychological barrier. Her best dance was the waltz dedicated to her mother when she was able to transcend the barrier. I hope that next week Derek would choreograph a simple routine for her that would be character driven. And maybe she needs to pay a visit to Tommy Chong for a little medicinal meditation.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 5 Empty Re: Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Post by Psychee22 Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:16 pm

peebeeb wrote:
Babs2147 wrote:

It would not surprise me if Derek's huge fan base enables them to reach the finals, while a more deserving couple
is eliminated. No
Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.  hairpull

I understand folks thinking that some of his wins were with celebs that they thought were undeserving, but I do not recall a time when Derek got to the finals with a celeb who was not among the three or four best dancers of the season.  Up until Marilu, every one of his partners achieved perfect scores at least once, and that is not something that his fans have any control over.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:30 pm

On the other hand, he has missed the finals with dancers that would have deserved to be there rather than the ones who made it. It's the nature of sympathy votes that they are totally irrational.
Bailadora may be right; The Chong certainly knows a thing or two that could help Marilu control her nerves.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Marilu is a health nut, but apparently she likes Sake...  I would be all for her imbibing that before the dances instead of after...
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:51 pm

TV Guide

Dancing's Derek Hough: I Was Pretty Disappointed with Our Rehearsal Package
by Derek Hough | Nov 3, 2016 2:01 PM EDT

Hey everyone!
Thanks for your votes!
I thought Marilu did great this week, given everything she went through last week with her feet. I really felt like she was prepared for that dance and she looked great. I think she just got a little flustered in the moment, but the movement she never messed up on. Overall, it was a good week for us.
In all of my years on Dancing with the Stars, I've never been involved in a scandal or anything overly dramatic. I can now say that's no longer the case -- ladies and gentlemen, we have "push-gate"! In all seriousness, I was pretty disappointed with our package. Marilu and I actually sat down last week and had a heart-to-heart about what actually happened during our team dance, how we both felt about it and how we felt about each other. Unfortunately, none of that was used in our package this week so I feel like the audience was short-changed a little bit and instead was fed footage that looked tense and uncomfortable.

For instance, Marilu's foot injury was glossed over the past two weeks. When she asked for more rehearsal time in Monday's package and I said we didn't need it, it came off like I was dismissing her and didn't care, which is far from it. That quote was taken out of context; I was reassuring her that we had already put in a lot of hours, so she shouldn't worry. Plus, with her injured feet, I didn't want to push her and hurt her even more. But since her injury was virtually ignored on the show, most people wouldn't have known about it. I'm definitely not saying her injury should be an "excuse" -- just that context is important.
Needless to say, #TeamHenergy is moving forward and on a positive path, despite those few minutes that you saw on television. Last week there was a lot of uplifting energy and we connected on a really beautiful level. We had a lot of long, deep and wonderful conversations. We kept saying we're the underdogs and we're coming back and we're gonna get her feet and ribs better. In earlier weeks, there was much more struggle in certain ways, but the past two weeks have been extremely cohesive and very positive. I feel like we've really bonded.
Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 5 1452447073

I don't think Marilu actually watched the package, which I guess is good. Ironically, earlier in the season, she jokingly said to me, "You think we don't have enough drama? Everyone has these dramatic packages." Then when we have real, serious drama with her feet, they don't show it.
Right now, I'm looking ahead, and we're staying positive and keeping it positive. None of this changes the fact that I'm still giving 100 percent to Marilu so that she gets everything she can out of this experience. I want Marilu to have a great time and I want her to have a fantastic experience. Her feet are doing a lot better and rehearsals have been going well.
Our individual dance is the samba. Mark is actually going to take a break from Jersey Boys this weekend to come out and sing during our number, which is awesome of him to do. The samba is going to be pretty straightforward. I feel like nowadays, there's so much production going on in a routine that it's unique to strip it down and not do the extra stuff, whereas it was the reverse back in the day.
Our second dance is a team jazz with Terra and Sasha. There's a really funny and clever thing Sasha came up with for Marilu and Terra's solo. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I think it's going to be good. Its a pretty cool visual thing.
Thanks for reading! See you Monday!
Derek
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:12 pm

I enjoyed Marilus Charleston Very Happy   So Marilu fell during the Team dance....so what, she still did a great job! 
   I read Maks blog and he is right about this being new for Derek. Imo Derek has had celebs not that great, but come showtime they usually pull it together.
   No, Derek, push-gate is not a scandal, welcome to the DWTS every other pro has experienced!!   Lest you forget how angry you got at the way they were doing the packages for Nastia?   You said pushing off each other was part of the dance then you were to guide her away...I can see that... Marilu saying she felt pushed I could tell bothered you, justifiably so.
   Ok on to the AT.....great choreography and imo the chairs worked LoL!!  Marilu when you are good, boy you are good, but when you mess up it is glaring and very noticeable in the dance and on your face, but I still enjoyed it Very Happy
   The dance off ...yes I think Ryan won that one.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Uh, oh, nines across the board. Is this Marilu's parting gift?
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:29 pm

Ummmmm.. well she didn't fall, hit Derek or trip, but to me that was maybe a week 3 or 4 dance and maybe 8's, but she looked like she had fun.....to me it was a very careful Samba.   

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:59 pm

kincaid53 wrote:    Ummmmm.. well she didn't fall, hit Derek or trip, but to me that was maybe a week 3 or 4 dance and maybe 8's, but she looked like she had fun.....to me it was a very careful Samba.   

Every dance she did this season was too careful.  It will be the one thing I remember about her.  But careful or not, she did look like she was having fun tonight, and overall this season, for a 64 year old, she did quite well.

I actually don't think she would have done any better at age 25, though. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:17 am

Thank goodness she's gone! Very Happy
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:39 am

Marilu definitely looked more relaxed this week and she seemed to be having a lot of fun. Hanging out with Terra and practicing with Artem finally helped her control her nerves. I doubt that if she had danced like this the previous two weeks she would have been eliminated tonight. Few over 60 contestants have danced so well in this competition (the enfant terrible of this forum, Tommy Chong, is the only one that has made it farther--and we have to admit that it was for his performing rather than dancing abilities). Glad that Marilu left on a high note.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am

I had a theory that Marilu was more relaxed because she probably knew she wasn't going to win and just had fun with it : )

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:50 am

I think Derek knows intuitively when he and his partner are going and prepares them for it. So, yes, Glitters, that is likely why we saw a more laid back Marilu last night.

An odd thing; this season has restored a lot of the admiration I used to have for Derek. When he was winning, winning, winning and all we heard about was the great Derek I got tired of him. But watching him handle a rather problematical partner like Marilu was eye opening to me. He never choreographed beyond her capabilities and never danced around her (Cheryl did, with Ryan). He also did not throw in those little tricks to divert attention from a weak partner that he has done in the past. So I guess I have to say, "Good show, Derek". 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:27 pm

I think that reading his blog might have also helped, Lesallee.  It is so easy to project things onto people, motivations, for example, that they don't have, but when you read about the situation from their own point of view, it gives you a better appreciation of their logic, and why they chose to do what they did.

Derek's blog is particularly good in that respect, I think. We were able to see his struggle from inside his head and he allowed us to see his vulnerabilities, such as when he said that he almost pooped himself with anxiety that Marilu was going to forget her steps.  Such things help us appreciate him as a human being, as opposed to some kind of TV character that for whatever reason we have chosen to love or hate. I'm glad he is writing it.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Since you mentioned the TV character: that is how they sold him to us, right? That is what caused the dislike or tiredness Lesallee mentioned. I've said long ago (it must have been during the Hough-Chmerkovskiy-wars) I wish they would just let him do his job. This season I got that. It worked for me, but more important, it worked for him.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:21 pm

i don't ever recall Derek and partner being on the bottom of the leader board.  I did not see any chemistry between them....but they ran as long as they did i  believe on Derek's popularity and that factor could not compete against better dancers

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:14 pm

TV-Guide Today’s News

Dancing's Derek Hough: I Don't Know If I'll Return Next Season
by Derek Hough | Nov 9, 2016 4:03 PM EST

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your votes and messages!

We may not have won the Mirrorball, but we had a great run. I'm so proud of Marilu. I thought she did a great job Monday. We had a great week. It was very positive and it was really fun. And it was great having Mark there. I didn't realize how much I've missed him until he was there. I've never done a season without him, so it was great to have him back. If we were going to go out, that was a good week to go out on.

I don't want to dwell on the rehearsal package again after last week. It is what it is. I would hope that the audience and longtime fans know and understand by now that in a short package, it's a very faint reflection of the reality of the week. Saying that though, given my schedule this season, the only thing that I think was a bummer was that we weren't able to do anything out of studio or an environment that wasn't a dance studio. When you do that, you're able to see another side to people, where it's not just you rehearsing and working. I think that in contrast to other packages, which was everyone traveling and doing things and having fun, it's kind of a bummer. Whenever Marilu and I saw each other, the only time we had was to get the routines down and work as hard and as fast as we can.I think we were both prepared for a possible elimination. After being part of the show for so long, you get a sense of what's going to happen based on a bunch of things. I think we were both expecting it, but also we're very proud. Week 9 is nothing to turn your nose up at. She did incredibly well.
Every season teaches you something different. I've been reflecting a lot on the past 10 years, kind of looking back on all the things that have happened, all the beautiful things, all the wonderful things, all the memories and wonderful moments and all the learning experiences from each of my partners. I get to add this one to my treasure chest of moments. I don't go back and watch videos of myself, but I came across a site that was posting pieces from years ago. It was nice to reflect on those memories and to see how much I've been part of this show for long and all the extraordinary moments.

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 5 1453160316

I don't know if I'll be back next season. It's too early to say. I have a few projects on my plate, but you never know what's going to happen. I didn't think I was going to come back to the show a couple times now and ended up coming back. That show will always be my family.

Right now, I'm working on Hairspray. Julianne and I are also hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas specials for ABC. We were rehearsing until like 11 p.m. last night for it. It's going to be fun. I love Disney and ABC, so I'm stoked to be doing this. The Thanksgiving one airs Thanksgiving at 8/7c and the Christmas ones airs Christmas at 8/7c.

If you're in L.A. this weekend, I will have two photography pieces on display at The Salon on Saturday. I'm very excited -- it's the first time I've ever had anything displayed. They're signed and will be for sale. Photography's been a hobby and passion of mine for several years, so I'm humbled to displayed alongside other great, inspiring artists.
There's no update on Singin' in the Rain yet. As of now, it's still on hold. Hopefully there'll be some news in the new year! But I need to get my butt to New York to see Mark in Jersey Boys soon!

Thanks again for all your support, not just this season, but always. It truly means the world to me. I glance at some message boards and I see certain things. I love my fans dearly and I know I have my detractors too. I just want to say to everyone, please respond with love. If anybody feels the need to stick up for me, I really appreciate it, but don't fight negativity with negativity.

I know there has been a lot change happening in the world and in people's lives. That's the case for me as well. I feel like we need to be kind to one another. We need to be there for each other, not judge one another, not point blame and to not be divided. We need to try to come together and try to find common ground with each other when you disagree on things. Even on the show, you're being judged, and the second you judge somebody, you separate yourself from them. Instead of judging each other, let's come together as a people. I'm not saying this as a political statement -- just as a request to treat each other with kindness every day. Let's look for the good, do good and be good.
Thanks for reading!

Derek

===============================================
Note:  The comments about the negativity arise from the fact that a lot of people on social media, after seeing his last week's package, interpreted what they saw there as an indication that he was abusive to Marilu.  That, in turn, brought out fans defending him, resulting in a lot of social media fighting.  It is the fighting which is distressing him.   But he is still getting messages on his instagram along the lines of "You used to be my favorite, but now I see how you abuse a poor 64 year old woman and I hate you!", and he would like others to just ignore those comments.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:43 am

Thank you for posting Derek's entry. All of us that have followed the show for a few years know that the producers like to manipulate tens of hours of footage to create drama. Tamar and Nastia were two of the most recent contestants that suffered greatly with the manipulation. Even Nyle was edited badly midseason, suggesting that he was arrogantly dismissing all the competitors. Unfortunately these manipulations sometimes work on the fandom and feed a tide of negativity. I'm glad that Derek is trying to illuminate fans and cool negative passions. And we need this kind of mindset for the country as a whole now more than ever.

I would love if Derek and Val collaborated in Laurie's trio. That would probably shock the most irrational fans and show that the two are highly accomplished professionals that grew up together. This will probably not happen next week due to Derek's busy schedule and his debt to Sasha who helped him so many times before. But I think that they have to should do it sometime in the future to bring civility and reason to the DWTS universe.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:24 am

Actually, Val and Derek "collaborated" on their group dance.  Then, mid-week, Val changed everything on his own.  I think Val is so nervous about winning that even partially deferring to someone else's wisdom is impossible for him where Laurie is concerned. 

They collaborate better when it is a pro dance and Derek has the reins -- Derek is always willing to experiment with new ideas and he enjoys getting other pros to brainstorm with him. 

But where the fan fighting is concerned, Val periodically stirs that pot himself.  He has developed the habit of sending out tweets to his fans that throw shade on Derek in indirect ways.  For example, if Derek got a gig somewhere outside DWTS, Val would make a negative remark about that venue, without mentioning Derek, but it would be obvious to anyone in the know that he was dissing Derek.  Or remarks about Emmy nominations. Instead of congratulating Derek on a nomination, he totally ignores that courtesy and instead voices sadness that Mark did not get a nod.  

Those tweets, in turn, are replied to by his fans in more direct wording, with the underlying message something like "Oh Val, you are SO much better than Derek!" and this appears to have been the response he was hoping to get.  It's his way of getting affirmations and attention. 

But unfortunately, things like this just keep stirring the pot. 

Derek couldn't care less, he doesn't even follow Val, but it sure does rile up the ladies at PureDerekHough.com, who seem to follow Val just so that they can catch him doing it.   And then they lob their verbal volleys, believing that they are defending Derek.

So... until Val's self esteem improves, I think he will keep doing stuff to stir the pot.  He IS getting something out of it. 

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:45 am

Hopefully Val will mature (some people take longer than others) and see that he needs to make public overtures to Derek to calm the extreme fans.This season he responded quickly to the ridiculous attacks against Derek for "having pushed Marilu" and congratulated Derek's bro Mark for his B'way debut. But Val also has to deal with an older brother/coach/mentor that is even more immature than him. Maks criticism of Derek's teaching methods with Marilu in a blog was stupidly unnecessary and I hope that he is not brought back as a judge because it would further poison the atmosphere. Val has to realize that this stupidity affects public support for his celeb partners as people decide to vote against his partners because they hate him (and his brother).

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:14 am

Some people don't need manipulation to make them look bad.  There are some people who are just negative.  I didn't care for Tamar too much because of the way she acted on her reality show, but I liked the way she danced, so I disregarded any previous negative feelings I had for her.  But Nastia and Nene Leakes were some of the worst.  I saw how Nene acted on Celebrity Apprentice and I didn't like her before she came onto DWTS.  And I tried to like Nastia, but I just found her annoying.  I don't think that was all about producer manipulation.  Some people just don't come across as likable.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Yes, Maks' blog about Derek was really off base.  He was projecting his own teaching rigidity onto Derek, when Derek was bending over backwards to try new approaches each week.   I guess he never bothered to read Derek's blog. And yet, at other times, he has said nice things. Maks is a wild card. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Some people don't need manipulation to make them look bad.  There are some people who are just negative.  I didn't care for Tamar too much because of the way she acted on her reality show, but I liked the way she danced, so I disregarded any previous negative feelings I had for her.  But Nastia and Nene Leakes were some of the worst.  I saw how Nene acted on Celebrity Apprentice and I didn't like her before she came onto DWTS.  And I tried to like Nastia, but I just found her annoying.  I don't think that was all about producer manipulation.  Some people just don't come across as likable.

This is true.  But when the producers see that and amplify it in the way they edit the packages, then it's unfair, considering the fact that many of those "unlikable" people come to the show looking for redemption. But riling up the audience with a scapegoat fed to them is part of the reality TV formula and everyone who signs up for it knows it could happen to them.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:02 pm

But we don't know what the producers do and how much they amplify it.  Like I said, I saw Nene Leakes on Celebrity Apprentice and she was pretty horrible.  I think sometimes maybe the producers try to make someone look bad, but it doesn't work for me.  I think a person's likability can shine through no matter what.  Sometimes I don't like people who they aren't even trying to make unlikable.  I try to be a good judge of what is real and when they are trying to manipulate.  If you watch closely enough or can be perceptive enough, hopefully you can use your own filter and it works for you.  You have to be a pretty nonjudgmental person to begin with.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Isn't Celebrity Apprentice an edited reality show as well? 

During the never ending election cycle, there was lots of talk about un-aired footage of Donald Trump saying awful things that were edited out.  Hours and hours each week of footage was edited for the TV. 

And in their case, making a celebrity like NeNe Leakes look real bad is part of the formula.  So how can we really know what she is like as a person?  Being a large size diva big mouth seems to be how she makes her money.  That seems to be her "brand".  But when I saw how she responded to Derek's antics at the GLAAD media awards, I saw something I did not expect and warmed to her. 

Perhaps the only way to know someone on TV is to spend actual in person time with them.  Otherwise, we are just guessing based on limited information.  Like the story of the blind men and an elephant, each touching a different part, and then comparing notes only to discover that they are in complete disagreement as to what an elephant looks like, we, the audience of these reality shows, are only given a part of these celebrities to see.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top