DWTS Seasion 23 Cast Announcements

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DWTS Seasion 23 Cast Announcements - Page 5 Empty Re: DWTS Seasion 23 Cast Announcements

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:20 pm

So you're not completely out of the loop.  They were also in Grease together on Broadway. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

DWTS Seasion 23 Cast Announcements - Page 5 Empty Re: DWTS Seasion 23 Cast Announcements

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Broadway, yes. Heard of that. Home of people like Gene Kelly and Derek Hough.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:06 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:Broadway, yes. Heard of that. Home of people like Gene Kelly and Derek Hough.
And now also the home of Mark Ballas.  It was reported today that he has landed one of the lead roles in the Broadway production of "Jersey Boys" and will be moving to New York City this month.  His contract is for a year. 

Of course he is perfect for the part.  He's got that 50's hairstyle perfected.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:21 pm

I am so happy for Mark. What a great opportunity. He will be missed , especially his innovative and original choreography. 

I saw Jersey Boys(touring company) a couple of years ago and I can picture Mark fitting right in.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by piratealikat Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Oh wow!  Good for Mark!  You're right....it's perfect for him!  Thanks for the info!
piratealikat
piratealikat

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:58 am

The role of Tommy DeVito is (publicly) unassigned at the moment.  It was announced yesterday that the guy playing that part at present will be starring in A Bronx Tale: The Musical which will start previews on Nov 5.  So I'm thinking Mark might have gotten that role.  But I think in the future he might be able to play the role of Frankie Valli because he's got the falsetto for it.

When I was looking up this stuff, I was surprised to find how big this franchise is.  It's playing in NYC, Vegas, London, Sydney, and has a number of traveling shows that hit major cities all over the world.

And when the performers get bored with one place, they get transferred to another.  Sort of makes me wonder if we'll ever see him on DWTS again.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:33 pm

It is a great opportunity with new horizons and I'm happy for him, but I can't imagine he won't return. There is something about this show that makes them all come back sooner or later.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:57 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:It is a great opportunity with new horizons and I'm happy for him, but I can't imagine he won't return. There is something about this show that makes them all come back sooner or later.

Yes, it is difficult to imagine him staying away forever.  It would be like never returning home again at Christmas. But has anyone left the show before to star on Broadway?  He's beginning a whole new chapter in his life -- with the emphasis on singing and acting.  Others left for short term dancing opportunities, didn't they?

I've been thinking that his new job is going to be such a change from his old one!  He will be doing the same act eight times a week, 52 weeks a year, saying the same lines, singing the same songs, with little or no variation, no creativity involved, the only thing that will change is the audience.  For that he will make a ton of money -- I'm guessing about a half million.  How much of that he will keep is something else, though.  His living expenses will be very high. 

He will no longer have the balmy California weather, but instead will have the freezing winters and the 95 degree humid summers.  And I feel for his fiance BC Jean, who will have to make that transition with him.

It wouldn't be worth it to me, but I'm not an entertainer.  There is something about live applause that energizes entertainers and keeps them craving more. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I got on dwts official websight and what do my wondering eyes should appear!?!?       Is Derek and Marylou.....the second slide is of pros with Peta front and center Very Happy   ....the 3rd slide is of Derek and (choke,choke,) Bindi  

I will not get caught up in the abc pimping of Derek this season..I will not get caught up in the abc pimping of Derek this season....I will not get caught up in the abc pimping of Derek this season.... No    

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:11 pm

kincaid53 wrote:    I got on dwts official websight and what do my wondering eyes should appear!?!?       Is Derek and Marylou.....the second slide is of pros with Peta front and center Very Happy   ....the 3rd slide is of Derek and (choke,choke,) Bindi  

I will not get caught up in the abc pimping of Derek this season..I will not get caught up in the abc pimping of Derek this season....I will not get caught up in the abc pimping of Derek this season.... No    

And so it begins...

The first picture of Derek and Marilu is the attention-getter for the link "Meet the cast".  Like it or not, Derek was missed by a big part of the audience last season and ABC is capitalizing on that by using his face as the first picture you see.   They lost a sizeable chunk of the audience last season when he wasn't around.  That might be due to his absence or it might be due to an overall lessening of TV watching but they want that audience back. 
So is that pimping him, or is it pimping themselves? Once you click on that pic, the cast is introduced in alphabetical order by first name and Marilu doesn't show up until past the mid-point and isn't given any better of a write up than anyone else. 

The second picture was the attention-getter for "Watch now".  Peta, in the center, Val and Artem at her sides, all looking hot  Are they being pimped, do you think?  Or is the show?

The third pic is of Bindi and Derek which carries the link for the blog about the eight Emmy awards the show got.  The three dances that were submitted for the choreography entry were all Bindi's.   Hence, a pic of Bindi dancing with Derek.  We could reasonably ask ourselves why they chose a pic of the Quickstep for this, though, as it was not one of the dances that was submitted.  I think the answer, though, would be that with that silver dress, a pic of the Quickstep looks celebratory.  So once again, I don't see "pimping Derek" as the motive here.  I see it as advertising the recognition the Emmy's gave the show and how pumped they all are about it. 

Furthermore...  what you fail to mention is that right under those pics are pics of (1) Maks and Amber, (2) Ryan Lochte, and (3) the rest of the pros.

And what you also don't mention is that Val and cutie pie Laurie and Cheryl and clueless Ryan got almost all of the attention at Monday's ABC Good Morning America reveal.  They were the only ones invited on set!  Now was that pimping?  Or was it capitalizing on America's temporarily focused interest in the Olympic athletes?

And you also don't mention that Maks was invited to the show the week before and had a whole show to himself to advertise that he was coming back to the show.  Was that pimping him?  Or was it to pimp the show? 

Has Derek been invited to the set of GMA yet?  No, because they kept his return a secret as long as possible.  Every other pairing got media attention before he did.

Can't you see how you are cherry picking observations to neatly fit into your preconceived notions? 

ABC is not invested in helping Derek Hough get yet another Mirrorball Trophy.  They are only interested in attracting a larger audience and keeping that audience interested enough to stay through the season so they can Ka-ching the advertising dollars.  We can expect to see more of anyone on the cast who they think will garner the most public attention.  And if that is Derek, well, that's why they hire him and keep him around.  A very big chunk of the audience is attracted to him.

Rob Wade says that he brought back Maks, Derek, and Cheryl together as a nostalgia thing in the hopes that it will help bring people together in this divisive time of elections.  I would really like it to turn out that way.  I would like to come here and visit Pure without having to listen to diametrically opposed crap accusations about the show favoring one pro over another.  Between the anti-Val stuff over there and the anti-Derek stuff here, it's a real aggravating turn off. 

Why can't we all agree that the show does what it does to make money for themselves and that's the end of it?

End of rant.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:38 am

I am really glad they brought back the most popular of the pro's.People have been hoping to see them again and now some are here this season.The talent in this ball room is awesome.

I think it would be great if they did this every season.It is great for the pros too,who want to do other projects.We get to know the dancers and we want to see what they are doing and catch up with them so them coming back is a win win ..... just my humble opinion.

There are so many great couples this year it will be hard to pick just one to cheer for .... Very Happy
Oakma
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 pm

Psychee22 wrote:
kincaid5 wrote:    I got on dwts official websight and what do my wondering eyes should appear!?!?       Is Derek and Marylou.....the second slide is of pros with Peta front and center Very Happy   ....the 3rd slide is of Derek and (choke,choke,) Bindi  

And so it begins...

The first picture of Derek and Marilu is the attention-getter for the link "Meet the cast".  Like it or not, Derek was missed by a big part of the audience last season and ABC is capitalizing on that by using his face as the first picture you see.   They lost a sizeable chunk of the audience last season when he wasn't around.  That might be due to his absence or it might be due to an overall lessening of TV watching but they want that audience back. 
So is that pimping him, or is it pimping themselves? Once you click on that pic, the cast is introduced in alphabetical order by first name and Marilu doesn't show up until past the mid-point and isn't given any better of a write up than anyone else. 

The second picture was the attention-getter for "Watch now".  Peta, in the center, Val and Artem at her sides, all looking hot  Are they being pimped, do you think?  Or is the show?

The third pic is of Bindi and Derek which carries the link for the blog about the eight Emmy awards the show got.  The three dances that were submitted for the choreography entry were all Bindi's.   Hence, a pic of Bindi dancing with Derek.  We could reasonably ask ourselves why they chose a pic of the Quickstep for this, though, as it was not one of the dances that was submitted.  I think the answer, though, would be that with that silver dress, a pic of the Quickstep looks celebratory.  So once again, I don't see "pimping Derek" as the motive here.  I see it as advertising the recognition the Emmy's gave the show and how pumped they all are about it. 

Furthermore...  what you fail to mention is that right under those pics are pics of (1) Maks and Amber, (2) Ryan Lochte, and (3) the rest of the pros.

And what you also don't mention is that Val and cutie pie Laurie and Cheryl and clueless Ryan got almost all of the attention at Monday's ABC Good Morning America reveal.  They were the only ones invited on set!  Now was that pimping?  Or was it capitalizing on America's temporarily focused interest in the Olympic athletes?

And you also don't mention that Maks was invited to the show the week before and had a whole show to himself to advertise that he was coming back to the show.  Was that pimping him?  Or was it to pimp the show? 

Has Derek been invited to the set of GMA yet?  No, because they kept his return a secret as long as possible.  Every other pairing got media attention before he did.

Can't you see how you are cherry picking observations to neatly fit into your preconceived notions? 

ABC is not invested in helping Derek Hough get yet another Mirrorball Trophy.  They are only interested in attracting a larger audience and keeping that audience interested enough to stay through the season so they can Ka-ching the advertising dollars.  We can expect to see more of anyone on the cast who they think will garner the most public attention.  And if that is Derek, well, that's why they hire him and keep him around.  A very big chunk of the audience is attracted to him.

Rob Wade says that he brought back Maks, Derek, and Cheryl together as a nostalgia thing in the hopes that it will help bring people together in this divisive time of elections.  I would really like it to turn out that way.  I would like to come here and visit Pure without having to listen to diametrically opposed crap accusations about the show favoring one pro over another.  Between the anti-Val stuff over there and the anti-Derek stuff here, it's a real aggravating turn off. 

Why can't we all agree that the show does what it does to make money for themselves and that's the end of it?

End of rant.

I do agree with you Psychee about the show does what it does to make money. It might not be the end of the conversation on it, that's why it's good lesallee made the general chit chat thread so we can hopefully have a place to discuss things without sullying the team threads.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:38 pm

Finally...

DWTS Seasion 23 Cast Announcements - Page 5 14241010
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top