Dancing with the Tsars

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dancing with the Tsars - Page 3 Empty Re: Dancing with the Tsars

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:36 pm

81.  WW
                  Trending Today© THE MAGAZINE FOR SERIOUS FANS

Trending Today has learned exclusively of a shocking development among the judges. Evidently Anna Pavlova, Ashley Hebert-Rosenbaum, and Mikhail Baryshnikov have been getting high on nitrous oxide, sometimes called laughing gas for its euphoric properties, following the shows. Sources close to the show have not identified the supplier of the gas, but have noted it is often used in medical and dental procedures. While its effects are short lived, sources close to the producers say the bosses are privately expressing concern over whether the judges might use it before the shows.

Keep checking here for all the latest news on your DWTT favorites.

82.  Belle

dancing with the tsars MESSAGE BOARD

Cynical Cynthia

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they did. I think they have been very disrepectful to the tsars. They were especially mean to Tsar Alexander II. Just because the tsars are despots doesn't mean they are bad people. You just have to understand their culture.

83.  WW

Hoofer
Their culture? Oh, please. A despot is a despot.
(Although I think it's funny that they're going one toke over the line.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:51 pm

84.  WW

Rehearsal was going terribly, but Ivan didn't seem to care. He planted himself in the middle of the floor and told Tierra to dance around him. Even Maks, who had been very patient with him, was not happy. "Ivan," he said, trying to sound reasonable, "you're making your partner do all the work and you're doing nothing."

"I am the tsar," came the haughty reply. "She is merely a woman."

"Oh no he dit-ten," snarled Tierra. "Tell me that's not what he said." She stood apart from Ivan, breathing heavily and staring daggers at him.

Ivan looked first at Maks, then at Tierra, then back at Maks.

"I will go outside for a minute," said Ivan imperially. And with that he was out the door and into the sunshine.

"I'm going to the break room for some bottled water," Maks said after the door closed. "Can I bring you anything?"

"Yes, thanks," said Tierra, "water would be good." She watched Maks's retreating figure and wondered why she wasn't dancing with him instead of the old grouch.

The outside door opened and three men in suits came in. Tierra was puzzled as they looked around the room.

"Maks here?" asked one.

"He'll be right back," she replied.

"Good," all three said as they grabbed her and hurried her out the door and into a waiting limo.

"Are you from the show?" she asked the one seated to her left.

"Hahaha!" he laughed without sounding amused. "Yeah, we're gonna show you!"

She was puzzled, but decided it would be wise to say nothing for a while.

After about a half-hour she asked where they were.

"We're on the 15," said the one on her right.

Later, the one on her left said, "Now we're on the 40."

She had no idea what either of those things meant, but she did see a sign pointing toward Needles, Nevada, as they went through the desert.

Then, as she looked at the desolate landscape, wondering how long the view would be so arid and foreboding, the limo pulled over to the side.

"This is your stop," said the one driving, and the two in the back seat pulled her out, threw her onto the side of the road, got back in the car, and they sped away.

There was nothing. Miles and miles of absolutely nothing in all directions. She had never felt so alone. "I'm afraid they might have taken my sparkle away," she said, as a tear ran down her cheek. She started walking back the way they had come, knowing it would take hours and hours and she had no water.

But she didn't know what else to do and just standing there didn't seem helpful. She saw mirages of oases come and go. She thought she heard sounds, but couldn't see anything that would produce them. As she looked a few feet ahead of her she saw the silliest mirage of all: a duck stood immediately in front of her.

"A duck?" she exclaimed, laughing at herself.

"Aflac," said the duck.

85.  LadyJaneGray

Maks strode majestically into the training room. He had two waters and plate of canapés. He thought the food might make things go smoother. He executed a classic one footed spin scanning the room and finding both of his students missing. He glided over to the back entrance it was supposed to be secured but it was loose.

His heart started pounding he reached for the phone and then decided he didn't know who to call. He was not used to relying on others. Perhaps she had just wandered out for a cigarette. She would need to cut back on her smoking. They had high intensity dances coming up if they made it.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:00 pm

86.  Belle

"Oh, this is just ducky!" Tierra exclaimed.

The duck approached her. "Dolly want a quacker?"

Tierra wasn't believing the duck was talking to her, nor that she was about to answer. "Holy Toledo! This isn't any kind of weather for a duck!"

Then a torrent of thoughts raced through her head. "Isn't this a place for road runners, not ducks? Whatever, it's sure for the birds. Or is it a fine kettle of fish? Wow! Now I know what it means to be deserted."

Tierra, disoriented as she was, realized that neither fish nor fowl was going to come to her rescue. What she needed was a plan. And perhaps a carrier pigeon.

A plan based on a mirage? What could be more fitting for Tierrible? Let's find out if her ideas are as good as her illusions.

Fortunately, her abductors had tossed her handbag out with her. Hmmm . . . one thing she could do? Hold her mirror up to the sun. Perhaps someone would see the glare from the sun's reflection--either that, or her sleeve woud catch on fire.

She rifled through the bag and found a pen and an address book. Of course the book was empty because all her contacts were programmed into her phone. Her phone!!! She rifled some more. There it was! Now all she had to do was text the producers, or Maks, or someone, or no one, because the battery hadn't been charged in three days. Uh oh!

Well, as a last resort, she could write a note, give it to the duck, and toss the duck into the air to see if it would fly.

So she did.

Just before Tierra was about to faint from thirst, a car drove up. The driver's side door swung open and out jumped Sergio.

The duck stuck its head out the passenger side rear window and quacked exuberantly.

"Are you real, or are you Memorex?" Tierra said in a cautious tone.

"Oh, I'm real," Sergio replied. "We had our ducks in a row on this one!" Sergio waved Tierra's note at her.

Tierra ducked her head as she climbed into the car on the passenger side. Sergio, Tierra and the duck drove off, leaving a cloud of dust and Tierra's Louis Vuitton handbag behind them.

While Sergio, Tierra and the Aflac duck were en route to the undisclosed location, Lenin (Lex), Trotsky (Fox Trotsky), Rasputin, Courtney and Tenley were comfortably ensconced, enjoying a catered lunch of, uh, never mind.

Lex turned to Rasputin. "Do you know when they will arrive?"

Rasputin consulted his phone. "Sergio says they're going to take it easy. She needs time to calm down. And they want to stop somewhere so the duck can have a swim. He has been a pretty good sport about this. I can't believe the places he goes to. And he really shouldn't be here while we're eating."

"That's right," Fox agreed. "But I'll be glad when she's safe here. She was in duck soup long enough, and we need her to be healthy for her next assignment."

Lex and Fox turned to Tenley. "You're up, kiddo!"

Rasputin held out his hand and took Tenley's. They stood up and went out the door together.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:12 pm

87.  WW

Trending Today has been busy reviewing some of the more curious events that have taken place during this season. Some of them may have perfectly normal explanations, but many of them are shocking. Consider:
· Vienna got tangled up in Boris's feet and twisted her ankle
· Peter I fought with Sophia accusing her of
shoving him off the throne

· Catherine attacked Maria over a Fabergé Egg
· Ivan IV claimed to have taken the Fabergé Egg
and eaten it

· Courtney was mugged and was too terrified to return
· Ashley Hebert-Rosenbaum and Bentley Williams had
a spitting match in the break room

· Vienna and Tierra had a spitting match in the
stairwell

· Tierra was kidnapped and left in the desert

How much of this could be the work of a certain "terrible" contestant? Just sayin'.

88. Belle 

Cynical Cynthia

It's probably a Communist plot.
Seriously, it's just a bunch of "reality" show divos and divas acting up like they're paid to do.
Just sayin' . . .

89. WW

Bolero Bob

How come so many people want to pick on the man? I mean, there are lots of women in that bunch who are perfectly capable of committing mayhem all by themselves.
Just sayin'.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:24 pm

90.  Belle

Things were going about as they should on a reality show. If it was any indication of success, the crowds were always enthusiastic about the dances, and appropriately amused at the judges' comments--although it must be said, if we're going to be honest here, that there was a rumbling that the comments about Reid and Julianne's, er, sorry, Tsarina Catherine's performances seemed pretty much the same every week. Aren't there any synonyms for "fabulous," "extraordinary," "unmatched," stunning," or "superb"?

Behind the scenes, though, at least one of the cast members was experiencing a twinge of royal angst.

As we have seen, Ivan the Terrible hadn't had the easiest time in the competition. His first session with Tenley had gone rather well. After all, she was a trained dancer herself and didn't seem to subscribe to the theory that bad behavior leads to good results. So far, so good in that department.

But now there was another wrinkle.

Ivan and Maks were together in the break room downing the "imbibition lowers inhibition" refreshment. For some reason they had established a sort of century-spanning camaraderie.

91.  Belle

"What's this?" Ivan scowled and held up the latest issue of
Trending Today. "Are they talking about me?" He was elocuting in his best Robert DeNiro voice. "I know they are, and I don't appreciate being made out to be the bad guy here. I am tsar. It's my job to intimidate my underlings. How would anything get done if I didn't? Don't they know how popular I am with the peasants?" Ivan's tirade was sounding like a certain unnamed governer of a small eastern state at a press conference.

Maks nodded in sympathy. He, too, had often been referred to as a bad boy.

Ivan wasn't finished. "I don't understand this country. How can they let people say these thing about me? I am tsar. I should be only tsar. You have too many tsars--drug tsar, economic tsar, secutiry tsar, banking tsar, stimulus tsar--I am all of those!"

Maks broke in, "Well, I am the tsar of dance. I'm not ready to be dethroned."

"It's OK," Ivan lowered his tone a notch. "They just don't understand my culture, never mind my power. Good grief! Every time one partner goes away, another one shows up, just like a bunch of Russian nesting dolls. Pranks? Trouble? I have no time for petty mischief. I am tsar!" Ivan's voice was on the rise again; he pounded his fist on the table.

Maks was thinking Ivan was someone he could relate to. "I know how you feel. It's the same way for me when those judges comment on my dances--as if they had a right to tell me what to do."

Ivan stood up. "I must make a royal decree. Things are going to change around here!" He turned to Maks, who was also standing up, and concluded with, "What is this food you call pizza? I want some."

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:40 pm

92.  Belle

The next morning Chris, Melissa and Rasputin were enjoying a leisurely breakfast in the sun room of the bach mansion.

Once put off by Rasputin's apparent assumption of power over the show, Chris and Melissa had warmed up as Rasputin had generously supplied them with face time during airing, and enough material to perform their roles as host and sidekick with at least a modicum of wit and originality, high camp though it might be.

As Sergio was refilling their coffee cups and hanging on their every word, two Fleissmice stormed into the room.

"Folks, we have a crisis!" shouted one.

"A major crisis!" echoed the other.

"Our entire supply of chamomile is missing!" cried one.

"All of it!" echoed the other.

"It must have been stolen," said one.

"Right out from under our noses," echoed the other.

"Wow! Someone must be really stressed out!" exclaimed Melissa.

"I'll call 911," offered Sergio.

"Someone's going to pay for this," declared Rasputin.

"Does anyone have any roses?" queried Chris.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:47 pm

93. WW

Trending Today has learned exclusively that Ivan is quite unhappy over suggestions that he is somehow to blame for cast mishaps. He is reported to have approached Maks, singing this song:

Dear Maksim, the Dancer, I'm very upset;
I never had the love that every
Tsar ought to get.
I ain't no head mobster,
I'm misunderstood.
Deep down inside me there is good!

Maks told Ivan the words sounded familiar, as did the tune, and wondered on what Ivan had based them.
West Side Story, admitted Ivan. Evidently he watches a lot of late-night television.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:54 pm

94.  WW

"Lara," began the yenta-ish voice on the phone, "what's going on with you and Dr Zhivago?"

"Going on?" Lara repeated, trying to sound bored and impatient. "A news story, I guess."

"I think you're becoming the news story," said the yenta. "You were seen out to dinner with him, you know."

"Of course I know. I work for your morning TV news program. I see the same gossip sheets you see." Lara paused, then resumed. "I was talking with Yuri to get more background on Vienna's ankle. I'm sure you know that, because I filed the story."

"
Yuri, is it now? And still you're sticking with the ankle story, huh?" snickered the yenta. "OK, then. See you in the funny papers."

Lara rang off, then smiled as she recalled the details of dinner with Dr Zhivago. He was the most interesting man she had ever spent an evening with, and he seemed to find her equally interesting. She wondered if the busybodies had her place staked out and would see him picking her up tonight. She was surprised that her heart seemed to beat a little more rapidly when she thought of him.

She hummed a bit as she looked in her closet for just the right outfit. "Somewhere my love, there will be songs to sing..." popped into her head. She wondered what that was from.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:04 pm

95.  Belle

Cynical Cynthia

Dr. Zhivago? Wow, I must not have been paying attention! I thought we were talking talking about Dr. Oz. I was fully expecting him to perform some wizardry that would give Ivan the Terrible a heart, Tentive Tenley some courage, and Chris a brain.

Hmmph! Are we now going to have a balalaika serenade? Maybe we should suggest he audition for Glenn Miller.

96.  WW

Terpsichore
Well, CynicalCynthia, you're certainly well named. I thought it was rather sweet that Lara and Dr Zhivago are seeing each other. And I pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Isn't his name Fleiss?

97.  WW

DancingBear

Doesn't matter, does it. Some Hough or another will win it. It's rigged.

98.  Belle

Cynical Cynthia

Yup! They're gonna Hough and Pough until they blow everyone else down!

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:10 pm

99.  Belle

It was the middle of a crystal clear night. Under the moonlight a delivery van, its tires creaking on the pavement and its headlights out, drove as quietly as it could along the driveway and parked at the entrance to the converted hockey rink. It sported a decal with the logo
Nitrox Medical Supplies. (Reporter's note: plotters and schemers for reality shows are not known for their finesse or subtlety.)

The driver stepped out of the van. (Readers get three guesses as to who the driver was.) Slowly the delivery door opened. Ashley came outside and tiptoed to the van. She was carrying a large tote bag. Ashley and the driver walked to the rear of the van. The driver opened the door, pulled out a shipping carton, and opened it for Ashley's inspection.

Inside the carton were several large aerosol canisters marked
Air Freshener. Ashley nodded. She picked up one of the canisters and pushed its button--just enough to release a small whiff of the canister's contents. She took a breath. "It's perfect," she giggled. Her tone was slightly elevated in pitch.

She loaded the canisters into her bag and thanked the driver, who departed as silently as he had come. She then re-emtered the arena and proceeded to the locker room area where the judges' dressing rooms were located. She crept surreptitiously into Anna's room and then into Mikhail's room. (One could almost hear "dum dum dum dum duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum . . . dumdumdumdum" playing in the background.)

In each room she placed a small plate on which there was a block of unwrapped Limburger cheese. Next to the plate she placed a canister of "air freshener." She placed a couple other canisters in plain sight near the plates. Surveying the still life she had created, she nodded approvingly to herself. "This should do the trick," she thought.

As added bonus, with any luck the Fleissmice would consume the evidence just as Anna and Mikhail would breathe it.

Everything was ready for tonight's dancing and elimination.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:18 pm

100.  Belle

At dress rehearsal Tsarina Maria and Bentley were practicing their dance under Cheryl's watchful eye. Cheryl was anxious; they were scheduled to perform in just a few hours. She thought her dancers had the necessry skills to perfect the rumba she had skillfully adapted to the sultry melody and tempo of You Go To My Head, but she urged the couple:

"Come on, can't we heat it up a bit? I don't see anyone sparkling like a sip of burgundy brew."

Bentley didn't seem to take Cheryl's comment to heart. "This just isn't what I expected. I have to admit I'm really not into to this, but I'll try to fake it. I'll try."

Maria was more forthcoming with her frustration. "I like parties. At home, I'm very popular and social. But here, I think I need a julep or two to get some kick into me. This man simply doesn't linger in my brain. This whole thing has a haunting refrain; there are no bubbles in
my glass of champagne.

Cheryl was taken aback. "Get a hold yourself! Don't you see that if you keep up like this that mirror ball trophy never will be?"

Bentley and Maria sighed. They took the floor and made yet another feeble attempts to make their temperature rise and intoxicate each other's soul with their eyes, if not their dance movements.

Cheryl sighed, determined not to let this disaster-in-the-making go to
her head.

It was also do or die time for Tsarina Irina and Ben. For them, Peta had adjusted the rhythm to
Days of Wine and Roses. It wasn't at all difficult to make a poignant waltz out of the song. But like her fellow coach Cheryl, she was having a hard time motivating the couple. The tsarina was acting as if she wasn't sure she should even be in the competition. Ben, on the other hand, appeared to think he had that trophy in the bag.

Peta wasn't taking anything for granted. She hoped for the best, but was prepared for the worst.

As the live competition was drawing near, the judges reported to their respective dressing rooms to prepare for the opening ceremonies of the evening.

Last edited by Buckeye Belle on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:29 pm

101.  Belle

It was just a few minutes until air time. One of the producers motioned the judges to take their seats. Anna Pavlova and Mikhail Baryshnikov walked to the judges' table. Ashley lagged a bit behind. There was a major rustle in the audience when Anna and Mikhail appeared because they were laughing themselves silly. Everyone in the arena was turning around to see what was so funny. Chris and Melissa shrugged their shoulders and looked clueless.

After the two judges were seated the mirth continued even as Ashley made her entrance with a regal--almost disdainful--bearing.

Even while Chris was opening the show and announcing the dances the laughter continued. It persisted through the first few performances. The laughing judges were unable to do anything more than mumble when giving their critiques. The audience was completely distracted and became a bit unsettled. Ashley looked smug. She even stuck her chest out a little.

Finally, Chris could bear it no longer. During the next break, he called for a group of ushers, who happened to be Fleissmice, and spoke with them briefly. They cautiously approached Anna and Mikhail and respectfully but assertively ushered them to the penalty box.

Chris made a brief announcement to the spectators--something about overcome by fumes--and said that Ashley would continue as judge for the remaining dances while the others, er, regained their composure.

Ashley was now in her element.

The remaining dances were performed. When the time came for the elimination, Ashley grabbed the microphone and announced that there was going to be a double elimination tonight. The crowd gasped. The cast members gasped. The musicians gasped. Up in the penalty box Anna and Mikhail laughed. Mikhail said to Anna, "A double elimination? It looks like that's going to be us." They giggled. "If we're lucky."

The teams were standing in a line, facing Chris. As in the previous ceremonies, Chris approached six of the teams, recapped Judge Ashley's comments about their performances, and informed them they were safe to return the following week. They all left the ballroom and gathered in the sky box.

Chris moved closer to the remaining couples.

"Reid and Catherine, Ashley has followed instructions and ruled that your choreography was awesome and the performance was flawless except for Reid's tendency to glance over at Julianne from time to time as if seeking her approval, but was that enough to save you from elimination?" A resounding "YES!" erupted from the crowd.

"Tsarina Irina and Ben, Ashley has adjudged that your movements were graceful but your posture was weak and uncertain. We're not going to sugar coat this. Were you strong enough to hold on to a place in the competition?"

"Tsarina Maria and Bentley, Ashley declared your form to be adequate but that you appeared distracted and looked like you phoned it in." Bentley looked bored. Maria looked trapped. "But did you have enough of a presence to return to the ballroom?"

After the requisite comments, Chris could keep the audience in suspense no longer. "Reid, Tsarina Catherine, Julianne and Derek, the verdict was that your dance was best of the night. Congratulations!" Melissa presented them with the hurriedly restocked chamomile bouquets, which they accepted graciously. They made their way to the sky box to join the others.

It was time to wrap it up for the night. Restating the obvious, Chris spoke one more time. "Um, Irina, Ben and Peta, Maria, Bentley and Cheryl, I'm sorry to tell you that all of you have been eliminated. Take a minute; say your goodbyes."

Melissa had only one set of parting gifts, which she handed to Irina, Ben and Peta. She figured Bentley and Maria wouldn't care.

As the eliminated teams were making their exits, Ashley approached Bentley and hissed, "You messed with my head and didn't have a ghost of a chance after that crazy dance." Bentley said nothing.

Ben eluded the group altogether. He marched over to the dance floor's guard rails and ripped the billboard ad for his winery off the wall.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:45 pm

102.  WW

"We've drawn the cha-cha-cha this week," Karina informed Sophia and Jake. "What's very different about this dance is that it starts on the second beat, not the first. And, like other Latin dances, there is a lot of hip movement but the torso is held fairly straight." She demonstrated what she meant.

"I can do that," proclaimed Tsarina Sophia. "It takes energy, just like the energy I showed when I took the throne after the death of my brother, Feodor. My little brother, Peter, was still a child and too young to rule. For the good of Mother Russia, I took control."

"I'm sure everyone was then, and is to this day, very grateful to you," said Jake in a rather oily voice.

"Back to the dance," began Karina, "let's practice coming in on the second beat. We're dancing to the song 'Get a Job,' which is perfect rhythmically. She demonstrated how the dance started. Sophia tried it and did it perfectly. Jake couldn't quite get it and Karina had him listen to the music, then practice the start a number of times.

Jake looked angry. "That's a stupid way for a dance to start," he fumed. "I'm taking a break."

Karina sighed. "Here," she said, holding out a diagram with the dance steps on it, "maybe you could look this over while you're on break."

"I don't need a map!" he yelled, tossing the paper behind him.

Karina sighed again, then turned to Sophia. "Well, let's get to some of the next steps while Jake is cooling off," she suggested. Sophia nodded, and they went through the next steps. The Silhouettes sang out as Sophia did her best to copy Karina's moves.

"Well, when I get the paper I read it through and through," sang the Silhouettes. The door opened and Jake came back into the room. "Get a job," the lyrics went along as Jake came to attention.

"What?" he yelled over the "dip-dip-dip" coming from the speakers. "You picked this song just to point fingers at me, didn't you. How rude!" He threw open the door and stomped out of the studio.

"Oh, grow up," said Sophia to the closing door. "Try getting tossed off the throne by your younger brother after he comes of age. See how hard it is to get a job after that!" But Jake was beyond earshot.

"And especially if you're a woman!" she shouted.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:50 pm

103.  WW

"We have the jive this week," Tristan told Boris and Vienna. "It's very fast and it's a very happy and boppy dance. You lift your knees and bend and rock your hips to the music. You'll be dancing to 'Hound Dog,' which Elvis made famous."

Boris looked confused. "Elvis?"

"The King!" said Tristan and Vienna in unison, smiling.

"Oh!" exclaimed Boris. "Your kings sing popular music?"

"This one did," said Tristan, still smiling. "OK, let's begin."

Vienna was slow and cautious. "You need to pick up the pace," Tristan told her.

"I'm afraid of hurting my ankle again," protested Vienna.

"You can't dance like you're afraid," said Tristan. "You have to get into it."

Boris liked the idea of dancing to the music of a king, and learned the steps to the jive without difficulty. Vienna stayed several steps behind him. She tried to copy Tristan's hip movements but because she was behind the beat she appeared to be waving her tush randomly. Finally she broke hold and sat on one of the chairs near the door.

"I'm tired of this blasted network turning me into a villain on every damn show," she said, and began to cry.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:59 pm

104.  WW

Chris opened the show to non-stop applause. The seven remaining couples and their coaches were introduced as they came down the long stairway and the applause continued. Melissa smiled at the couples. She smiled at the coaches. She smiled at the judges. She smiled at Chris, but he was watching the stairs. She smiled at the camera.

The couples were called to dance and the judges rendered their opinions. Finally, upon completion of all the dances, the couples were lined up. Chris dismissed four of them.

"It's another double-elimination night," said Melissa, smiling. "Which two couples will go home tonight with their hearts broken, their dreams of owning the mirror ball trophy shattered? We'll find out, right after these words from our sponsors."

The three couples and their coaches tried to look anywhere but at each other. The audience called out various names, but no one knew if they were urging the judges to keep them or send them home. After what seemed like forever, the floor director gave them the countdown and the red lights on the cameras came on. Chris turned to the three couples in front of him.

"Jake and Sophia," Chris began. "Mikhail called your performance 'one cha short of a dance.' Anna asked if Jake had been in pain, given the sneer he wore all through it. But Ashley said Sophia's mastery of the steps was impressive. Will that be enough to save you?"

Chris turned to the next couple. "Boris and Vienna, Mikhail wondered if Vienna had been auditioning as a wiggly puppy wagging its tail. Ashley criticized your inability to keep up with the beat. But Anna found Boris's posture regal all through the dance's difficult steps. Will that be enough to save you?"

Chris looked around. "We'll find out, right after these words from our sponsors," he said again, in exactly the same words and breathless tone he used the first time. The floor director signaled they were back.

"Catherine, Reid, and Julianne," Chris began. "The judges have, once again, found nothing to fault in your performance. You're safe for another week." Melissa handed them yet another chamomile bouquet as the audience cheered. They headed for the sky box, Reid pausing to give Julianne an enthusiastic hug and kiss. A few appreciative whistles were heard from the audience.

Chris turned to his left. "Jake, Sophia, and Karina, I'm sorry. Take a moment and say your goodbyes." The camera cut away from the trio quickly, but not quite fast enough to miss Jake's universal finger gesture of contempt.

Chris turned immediately to his right. "Boris, Vienna, and Tristan, I'm sorry. Take a--"

But Vienna cut him off. "You're not sorry. You love to see me get cut to ribbons. For once in his life, Jake was right!" The audience gasped, then cheered, when Vienna made the same finger gesture.

Melissa's smile faltered, but she gained control of it rapidly. "See you next time!" she sang, as the credits rolled.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:12 pm

105. WW

Trending Today has learned exclusively that Jake and Vienna may have a good thing going, again. Following this week's double elimination, Jake, Sophia, and Karina, together with Vienna, Boris, and Tristan went to Imagine, the newest hotspot in the LA night club circuit. The former couple was seen over the course of the evening smiling at one another occasionally and not fighting even once. Those in the know say this could be the re-start of something big.

106.  WW

DanceHallFloozy

No. I refuse to believe this. It's not true. Do NOT saddle us with Jake and Vienna again, PLEASE!

107.  Belle

Cynical Cynthia

It's a setup, I tell you! It's one of those Fleissmaneuvers to get us to watch some ridiculous Jerry Springer knock-off. And we all know what's going to be knocked off, don't we?

Pay them, and they'll do anything!

108.  WW

SoftShoe

You got that right, CynicalCynthia, although I wonder how much Fleiss rakes in from stuff like this. Keeps everybody interested in his shows, y'know?

109.  Belle

Savvy in Savannah

Yeah, we who are in the know know they're making nice for a good cause--their wallets!

110.  WW

Hoofer

You know, guys, not everything is a big hairy plot. Just sayin'.

111.  WW

CabaretCandy

Jake and Vienna getting back together? Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

112.   Belle

Cha Cha Charlie

Oh, come on! They're not together! They're probably just on the same stuff that sent the the judges to the penalty box last week. Those rag reporters can't connect their own dot dot dots.

I don't need any of that stuff to do what those judges did.

This whole show is laughable!

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:21 pm

113.  Belle

Once again, the suits had flown to LA from ABC headquarters in New York. Once again, they were seated in the conference room waiting for a meeting with the Fleissmeister to begin.

The suits were positioned on the left side of the table, as one faced it from the head; several Fleissmice were occupying the chairs on the right.

Exactly three minutes past the time scheduled for the meeting, Fleiss made his entrance and ambled to the place reserved for him at the head of the table. At first, he put his hands on the table. His Roll-the-Ex watch clacked against the surface.

One of the Fleissmice spoke up. "The boss wants to know why you're here. He says that with our show's ratings, your CEO should give you all a raise and a trip to Bora Bora."

One of the suits spoke up. "That would be nice, sir. But we're here to talk about the schedule."

Fleiss furrowed his eyebrows. Another one of the Fleissmice said, "He's done the math. He's a great man to work for; he does all his own math. Based on the double double elimination, he's calculated there is an unfilled episode slot that needs content."

The suits gave a respectful nod in the affirmative. "ATFD," one of them said. Fleiss burst out laughing.

"The boss says you guys must have been in the judges' dressing room," offered another of the Fleissmice.

Fleiss then wrinkled his forehead. Yet another of the Fleissmice said, "Consider it done. Or overdone, actually, in order to meet our standards. There's no final anything in the reality world--at least, not without a fight." The Fleissmice chuckled collectively.

The suits stood up. Hands were shaken all around. The suits smiled and made their exit. Outside, as they were waiting for the elevator, one of them asked, "How does he always beat us to the punch like that?"

The suits continued to converse among themselves.

"They said he does his own math; he must know what a common denominator is."

"Yeah, like what our viewers have in common is denominating."

"Is denominating another way of watching reality stars act up?"

"Well, I think he's doing a lot of denominating of his own, then."

"Is that a little kinky?"

"As long as it's good for the bottom line."

"I think we're gonna get plenty of bang for our buck."

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:28 pm

114.  WW

Trending Today has learned exclusively that Fleiss and the ABC suits have met once again and settled on Fleiss's denominating. Reached for comment, one of the Fleissmice expressed amazement that the new word was somehow puzzling. Accordingly, Trending Today has adopted it and defies anyone who tries to challenge its meaning.

115.  WW

SoftShoe

Oh, good grief, I suppose "denominating" is another stupid "meme," which is another totally made up word.

116.  WW

Hoofer

So, I mean, like, what's wrong with made up words? Every word got made up sometime, ya know?

117.  Belle

Cynical Cynthia

Look, if the Fleisster made up that word, there has to be something sinister about it!

If you ask me, as a denominator, he's pretty
uncommon--weird, actually.

118.  WW

Terpsichore

Wasn't He Who Must Not Be Named also called a denominator? This is getting creepy.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:35 pm

19.  WW

Reid and Catherine were already in the rehearsal studio when Derek arrived. He came into the studio full of enthusiasm and greeted them warmly. "This week," he said, holding up a CD, then leaning over the player, "we're going to have some of the most romantic music ever. You'll be dancing to a symphony from
Romeo and Juliet, a ballet written by Sergei Prokofiev." He inserted the CD. "Just listen a minute," he said. They listened, but Reid kept watching the door. Finally, Derek looked at the door, too. He saw nothing unusual.

"What's up with the door?" Derek asked Reid.

"Um... where's Julianne?" asked Reid.

"Remember when we told you at the beginning that we'd have to do the coaching tag-team because of other commitments each of us had?"

Reid and Catherine nodded.

"Well, this week Julianne has another engagement, so I'm coaching." Derek smiled at them both. Catherine returned the smile. Reid looked at the floor.

"OK, let's begin," said Derek, his voice returning to enthusiasm. He put Catherine and Reid into their hold position, then began to show them the steps he had choreographed. Both had some difficulty. He finally took Catherine into the hold position and demonstrated the steps. Catherine smiled warmly at Derek and learned the steps quite quickly with him. Derek praised her effusively as she caught on to the dance. He returned Catherine to Reid's hold and started the music again. Reid was slightly better, but clearly he had a long way to go.

After about an hour Derek called for a break. Reid moped off to the break room, but Catherine stayed in the studio with Derek. Catherine smiled at Derek and told him she wasn't tired at all and would like to dance some more. Derek was surprised, but was happy to accommodate. When Reid returned he found Derek and Catherine dancing quite comfortably. He slumped in a chair at the corner of the studio.

"OK," began Derek, "let's get started again." Reid dutifully stood up and approached Catherine. As he was about to assume the hold the studio door opened and Julianne came in, breathlessly. Reid's face lit up immediately.

"Oh, good," she panted. "You're still here. Can I be of any help?"

"Sure," said Derek. "Reid is having some challenges with this one. Why don't you partner with him and I'll keep dancing with Catherine?"

"Sounds good," Julianne said.

"Sure does!" agreed Reid.

The music started again.

"Wow," exclaimed Reid, as if he were hearing it for the first time,

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:38 pm

120.  WW

Trending Today has learned exclusively that Lara and Dr Zhivago have now had a third dinner date. Lara continues to claim that their rendezvous, like the two previous ones, is merely for the purpose of continued research into ankle injuries such as the one suffered weeks ago by Vienna.

Nice try, Lara, but nobody much cared about Vienna's injury then, and care even less now that Vienna has been sent home. And if this is about the ankle, why was Yummy Yuri holding your hand across the table? It didn't appear to be for medical purposes.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:50 pm

124.  WW

Every time he saw Tsarina Elizabeth Ames was struck anew by her beauty. Her naturally blonde hair was in favorable contrast to the bleached blondes that populated the celebrity circuit. As she entered the rehearsal studio his wide smile spread. She smiled at him in return and, for a moment, neither noticed Kym's entry into the room. They looked up only when Kym called a loud "Hello!" to them. Kym held up a CD as she walked toward the player. "It's a contemporary dance this week," she told them. She looked them over, then smiled. "The music is appropriate. 'Sentimental Journey' sounds just right for you two." She placed them in their hold.

"A bunch of dance styles come together in this one," Kym explained. "Some ballet, some modern dance, some improv... there's a lot of creative freedom in how this is put together."

Elizabeth and Ames nodded, taking it all in.

"Elizabeth," began Kym, "given your high skill in dance from the... uh... old days, I think we can make this one sizzle. Ames, you'll be pushing it to keep up with her." She started the music, then showed them the initial steps. Elizabeth caught on quickly and Ames wasn't far behind her. Kym was pleased and took them through the next series of steps. Again, Elizabeth nailed them on the first pass and Ames caught up with her quickly. After about an hour, Kym called for a break.

"Can I share something private with you?" Elizabeth asked Ames in a quiet voice when Kym had left the room. He nodded. "My birth name, and it became my pet name, is Elizaveta Petrovna. Only those very close to me may call me that."

Ames looked tentative for a moment. "May I call you that?" he asked.

"I wish you would," she whispered in return. "Oh, how I wish I could take you to my Winter Palace. It wasn't much when I became Tsarina, but I saw to it that it became a palace worthy of the name. It was almost completed when I died. I want to live in it now."

Ames was struck by her loyalty to her heritage.

"But now," he began, "it's a public museum. Most of what you achieved in the interior design and furnishing is gone. The touch of the beautiful Elizaveta Petrovna is no longer there."

"I know," she sighed, "but what I really want is to live in it now but with the style and touches I gave it."

"Well," Ames chuckled softly, "I guess if you want to wish for something, you might as well make it perfect."

She looked at him wistfully. "I never married, you know. I never found Gospodin Right."

"Gospodin?" Ames asked, unfamiliar with the word.

"Mister," she responded. "Monsieur."

He didn't know what to say, but looked at her with sad eyes. But before he could find the right words, Kym returned and placed them back into their hold. They ran through the parts they had already learned and then Kym added the next series. By the end of the day they knew the entire routine.

When contest night arrived they found they were the lead-off couple. Their execution was flawless, and the judges noted they had really sold the notion of taking a sentimental journey. The audience applauded wildly as Ames spun Elizabeth around, then took a deep bow. They headed toward the stairs to the sky box, but after the cameras turned from them Elizabeth pulled Ames into a side door.

"You know how we got here, don't you?" she asked.

"Some kind of time machine, I've heard," he responded, sounding dubious.

"It's back here," she said, leading him through a very dimly lit corridor.

They found the machine, an ordinary looking shipping container, sitting unattended.

"That's it?" Ames asked, surprised. "That doesn't look very futuristic."

"The better to camouflage it, my dear," she responded, smiling up at him. "Get in."

Without hesitation Ames entered the machine, Elizabeth immediately following. To his surprise there was comfortable furniture inside and they sat together on the love seat. Elizabeth picked up an object that looked like a television remote, punched in 1755, and sank back into the cushions.

"Do you learn languages quickly?" she asked him.

"Yes, usually," he responded.

"Good," she said, nodding. "Blagodaryu."

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:59 pm

125.  WW

Trending Today certainly doesn't want to use the "L" word, but doesn't "liar" come immediately to mind? We mean, really, we're supposed to believe that story?

126.  WW

BoleroBob

Seriously? A time machine? We're supposed to believe that? Give me a break.

127.  WW

BoleroBob said...

Seriously? A time machine? We're supposed to believe that? Give me a break. 

DanceHallFloozy
I'd join you in your skepticism, Bob, except for one thing: How did they get here, then?

128.  Belle

Cynical Cynthia

This is getting out of hand! First he ruins romance--for 96% of the contestants. Now he's trying to corner the time market. This is sinister indeed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--he's going to create a new species of human: bachpeople. I just know it. Next he'll colonize an alien planet. Isn't anyone worried?

129.  Ugh

Cynthia, I understand you are cynical, but has anyone ever suggested you may be a conspiracy theorist as well?

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:03 pm

130.  WW

Lenin and Trotsky (a/k/a Lex and Fox) were enjoying a shot of vodka (well,
another shot of vodka) as they reviewed the season to date.

"Everything is still on course for Derek and Julianne to win?" Lex asked Fox. It was a silly question. Lex knew the answer. He just liked to be reassured.

"How many times I got to tell you?" Fox responded, irritation showing in his voice. "The fix is in."

"And it better
stay in," Lex growled. "I've sent a lot of soldiers in unmarked green cammo to... uh... persuade people to vote for them."

"You're talking to the founder of the Red Army," Fox reminded him. "Do you think I don't know how to use soldiers?"

Fox and Lex glared at each other for a moment, then their faces relaxed as they smiled.

"The Houghs will win again," they said in unison.

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:06 pm

131.  Belle

Cynical Cynthia

Of course I'm a conspiracy theorist! That's the the only reason it makes sense to follow and write about the show--well, that and for academic and scientific purposes. It's more fun to try and figure out what the, er, Fleissmeister, is it, is up to, than to solve a Sudoku puzzle.

But aaaaaaaah,
what is the conspiracy and who are the conspirators?

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckeye Belle Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:22 pm

132.  Belle

Kym was waiting with Melissa in the sky box. When it became evident that Ames and Tsarina Elizabeth weren't going to appear for their post-dance interview, Melissa took the initiative and made the "cut" gesture to the director. If there was ever a time to take a commercial break . . .

Melissa and Kym quickly got the director up to speed about the situation. One of the assistants off in a corner muttered under his breath. "This is what they get for allowing women to drive."

The production crew took the entire two minutes for crisis management. One might might say it was a two-minute warning.

Chris joined them and made a few phone calls. Then he and Melissa went to the penalty box to meet with Rasputin and Sergei. Sergei was there, of course, to serve refreshments. He offered vodka tonics all around, thinking (correctly) that they would help relieve any stress.

Rasputin explained how the Fleissmeister wanted the escape reported--what else but as the MOST romantic elimination EVER? As a matter of fact, the MF was already creating a possible spin-off called
Roses For All Time. Chris nodded supportively. Chris was always supportive when he had the right people to support. Rasputin handed Chris and Melissa some cards containing lines to use for the remainder of the show, including the non-elimination of Ames and Elizabeth.

The meeting ended just in time for Melissa and Chris to return to the ballroom before the second dance ended. As they were walking out of the penalty box, Rasputin called out. "Chris, for Pete's sake will you stop saying the same things to Catherine and Reid every night? It's not a rose ceremony, you know! Show more creativity!"

Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum