Master Chef

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Master Chef Empty Master Chef

Post by WidderWoman4 Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:48 pm

MasterChef is based on the British BBC series of the same name. Chef, television personality and restaurateur Gordon Ramsay together with two other judges (in 2015 they are Graham Elliot and Christina Tosi) judge the dishes. The competition takes place in the MasterChef warehouse which includes a large kitchen area with several cooking stations which is overlooked by a balcony, a well-stocked pantry, a freezer/refrigerator area, and a fine-dining seating area used for certain challenges.

the formal competition begins typically following a four-event cycle that takes place over two episodes, with a chef eliminated after the second and fourth event. The events typically are:

• Mystery Box Challenge: Chefs are each given a box with the same ingredients and must use only those ingredients to create a dish within a fixed amount of time. The judges will select three dishes based on visual appearance and technique alone to taste, and from these three select one winner that will gain an advantage in the Elimination Test.
  • Elimination Test: The judges take the Mystery Box Challenge winner to the pantry and explain the theme of the Elimination Test in private. This chef is told of one or more advantages. The most typical one is selecting the specific ingredient to use or dish to recreate, but judges can include automatic advancement to the next round (a standard since season four), assigning certain ingredients to specific chefs, or even creating teams as to challenge their competition. The rest of the chefs are then informed of the decision, and given five minutes to collect any ingredients from the pantry they need and a fixed amount of time to complete the dish. Judges evaluate all dishes based on taste and visual appeal (although only some of them are featured, at least in the first episodes of a season), and select two dishes as the winners of the competition to become captains in the Team Challenge. The bottom three (or more) dishes are criticized, and the judges select one of those chefs to leave the competition; those that are eliminated must remove their apron and place them on their station before they leave.
  • Team Challenge: The cooks are taken to an off-site location where they are split into two teams by the team captains, typically through a schoolyard pick. The teams (colored red and blue similar to another Gordon Ramsay competition show, Hell's Kitchen) will typically have to prepare a meal for an odd number of diners (in case of a tie) in a limited amount of time. Diners will sample meals from both teams and will later vote as to which meal they preferred; if a diner does not get a meal from a team due to food not being ready on time, that team automatically forfeits the vote. The losing team will participate in the Pressure Test once they return to the MasterChef kitchen. One such challenge involves a "restaurant takeover" which involves the cooks taking the place of the staff of a particular restaurant.
  • Pressure Test: Members of the losing team compete against each other to make a standard dish within a limited amount of time that requires a great degree of cooking finesse, such as a souffle. Some of the losing team members may not have to participate determined by the judges or the team captain, and they are sent to watch the challenge from the balcony along with the winning team members. Each dish is judged on taste, visual appeal, and technique, and the losing chef is eliminated from the challenge; that chef must remove their apron and place it on their station before they leave the competition.

This cycle continues until only four chefs remain, upon which the judges eliminate two chefs to select the final two competitors. The judges then select the winner of MasterChef, who wins $250,000, their own cookbook, and a MasterChef trophy.

--Adapted from Wikipedia
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Master Chef Empty Re: Master Chef

Post by WidderWoman4 Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:48 pm

The current contestants have been winnowed down to:

Stephen
Derrick
Nick
Claudia
Katrina
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Starz Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi WW

I think this show is on the Cooking channel. I only get Food Network.
Sounds like a show that I would enjoy.

Starz
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Thought this is on the FOX network, or at least it is in my area.

This is quoted from an internet article about the program:
“MasterChef” U.S. airs every Wednesday at 8:00 pm EDT on FOX.

Back to top Go down

Post by Starz Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:55 pm

newto wrote:Thought this is on the FOX network, or at least it is in my area.

This is quoted from an internet article about the program:
“MasterChef” U.S. airs every Wednesday at 8:00 pm EDT on FOX.
Thanks, good to know where it is Newto. I will check it out.

Starz
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:48 pm

I get it on FOX.  I'm rooting for Derek and Katrina.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by WidderWoman4 Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:49 pm

I get it on Fox, as well.
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:04 pm

It's on FOX here as well.  Does anyone here watch Food Fights on NBC?
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by WidderWoman4 Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:09 pm

I do, occasionally, SLA.  My suspicion is it's entirely scripted.
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:38 pm

My suspicion is that all of these shows are entirely scripted.  There is no reality on these shows especially the ones that say they are reality shows. IMO   Pretty pathetic when I think about it and kind of takes a lot away when watching them. 
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by WidderWoman4 Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:24 am

Good suspicions, SLA.  My, how jaded we've all become over the years.  Sad
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:29 am

WidderWoman4 wrote:Good suspicions, SLA.  My, how jaded we've all become over the years.  Sad
Sad but so true - I think I liked it better when I was naive to the goings on behind the scenes of these programs. Crying or Very sad 
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:50 am

SLA44 wrote:
Sad but so true - I think I liked it better when I was naive to the goings on behind the scenes of these programs. Crying or Very sad 

I have learned to de-program my logical mind and just indulge myself in these reality shows.  At the end of the day all I want to do is watch mindless TV and forget it's not "reality" at all.  Soapbox

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:27 am

The thing I've enjoyed on Master Chef is that there is no villain.  Granted, Stephen has harrassed Derek on occasion, but he isn't an evil man.  And he gives Derek props for his cooking skills.

Bottom line is that they don't dwell on an egomaniac who keeps touting him/herself as "the greatest."

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:37 am

WW- cont'd from AGT:

Katrina.  I've enjoyed watching her confidence grow.  She's still uncertain.  I think the pouty face comes from concentration and fear when she's cooking. 

She just strikes me as someone who's been managing the mess hall for farm hands and is now living "A Star is Born."  She doesn't have style and she doesn't have looks, but boy, can she cook!

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:44 am

It seems like a closer competition this season than in some previous ones. I'm realty enjoying it.

I have also enjoyed watching Katrina's confidence grow. I would love to see her win. At the same time, there is no one left who I think wouldn't deserve it. They all experience highs and lows. I think Derek is hardest to beat because he's so strong under pressure.

Judy

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:56 pm

I've wanted Derek to win since the auditions.  I really didn't like Katrina in the beginning but her gaining confidence has grown on me.  I think out of everyone, she will really leave the show a changed person.  I thought she would crash and burn when she was captain but she did really well.
beardiedawg
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by WidderWoman4 Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:56 am

singlyme wrote:WW- cont'd from AGT:

Katrina.  I've enjoyed watching her confidence grow.  She's still uncertain.  I think the pouty face comes from concentration and fear when she's cooking. 

She just strikes me as someone who's been managing the mess hall for farm hands and is now living "A Star is Born."  She doesn't have style and she doesn't have looks, but boy, can she cook!

Nice analysis, Singly.  It made me smile.  Yes, her confidence has grown and you may well be right about what causes the pouty face.
WidderWoman4
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Starz Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:23 am

Do any of you have DirecTV? If so - what channel number is Fox? I can't find it.

Starz
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:18 am

I have DirecTV, starz.  I get FOX on channel 53.  I'm on the East Coast - if that makes any difference.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:15 pm

Katrina and her socks are gone.  Bummer.  I was sad for her.  But Derrick is still there.  I must say, all these people are quite likeable.  Stephen might need a filter, but he seems okay.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:48 pm

I felt so badly for Katrina. I'm so happy that Gordon is going to set up a learning opportunity for her in France after the show!

I like all of the contestants left, which is not always the case for me at this point in the competition. It was really nice to see the former winners. I particularly like Christine and Luca.

I thought that Claudia did a good job assigning baskets. I was impressed to see Nick pull it together and make a great dish. I'm glad Derrick will have another opportunity to get back on track. I'm looking forward to next week's episode!

Judy

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:20 pm

I was really afraid that Derrick was going to go home last night and I think he would if Katrina hadn't under-cooked that one portion of her dish. 
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewel Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:04 pm

I don't recall if Katrina had displayed interest in learning in France, but what a wonderful gesture on Gordon's part.  I will miss Katrina and her colorful wardrobe, but she is a creative chef.

What a masterpiece Nick created out of a basket of foods that Claudia assigned him.  Did he ever outsmart her.

I truly thought Derrick was a goner, but am thrilled he's still in the competition.

Although not my favorite contestant, I'll have to say that Stephen is a fighter.  I laughed when Derrick said there was a particular food that smelled worse than Stephen. 

I wonder what others thought of flamboyant Tommy.  He certainly was a character as well as an excellent chef.  I laughed on western night when Gordon appeared in leather chaps and Tommy said Mmmmm, mmmmm, Gordon Ramsay in chaps.

Overall this season has been great for me.
Jewel
Jewel
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:25 pm

You're right, jewel.  It's been an exceptional season.  I hate to see it end.

I, too, feared Derrick was a goner.  He really hated using that cheese, didn't he?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum