Master Chef

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Master Chef

Post by SLA44 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Jewel wrote:I don't recall if Katrina had displayed interest in learning in France, but what a wonderful gesture on Gordon's part.  I will miss Katrina and her colorful wardrobe, but she is a creative chef.

What a masterpiece Nick created out of a basket of foods that Claudia assigned him.  Did he ever outsmart her.

I truly thought Derrick was a goner, but am thrilled he's still in the competition.

Although not my favorite contestant, I'll have to say that Stephen is a fighter.  I laughed when Derrick said there was a particular food that smelled worse than Stephen. 

I wonder what others thought of flamboyant Tommy.  He certainly was a character as well as an excellent chef.  I laughed on western night when Gordon appeared in leather chaps and Tommy said Mmmmm, mmmmm, Gordon Ramsay in chaps.

Overall this season has been great for me.
Jewel I think we were laughing at the same thing - his opinion of bleu cheese is the same as mine and I really liked it when he was saying how it tasted.  I was giving him a fist up!   Thumbs up!
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewel on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:25 pm

SLA44 wrote:
Jewel wrote:I don't recall if Katrina had displayed interest in learning in France, but what a wonderful gesture on Gordon's part.  I will miss Katrina and her colorful wardrobe, but she is a creative chef.

What a masterpiece Nick created out of a basket of foods that Claudia assigned him.  Did he ever outsmart her.

I truly thought Derrick was a goner, but am thrilled he's still in the competition.

Although not my favorite contestant, I'll have to say that Stephen is a fighter.  I laughed when Derrick said there was a particular food that smelled worse than Stephen. 

I wonder what others thought of flamboyant Tommy.  He certainly was a character as well as an excellent chef.  I laughed on western night when Gordon appeared in leather chaps and Tommy said Mmmmm, mmmmm, Gordon Ramsay in chaps.

Overall this season has been great for me.
Jewel I think we were laughing at the same thing - his opinion of bleu cheese is the same as mine and I really liked it when he was saying how it tasted.  I was giving him a fist up!   Thumbs up!
Well, all I can say is that I was relieved when the cheese was in a separate bowl.  I wouldn't want it touching my food either.
Jewel
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewel on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:30 pm

singlyme wrote:You're right, jewel.  It's been an exceptional season.  I hate to see it end.

I, too, feared Derrick was a goner.  He really hated using that cheese, didn't he?
This season ranks at the top for me, so we'll have to wait patiently for next season.

If I shivered looking at the cheese, just think how poor Derrick felt having to create a delicacy with it.
Jewel
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:04 am

Do people who like bleu cheese also like moldy bread?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:32 am

Final three!

I'm glad we have peace between Derrick and Stephen.  I'm still rooting for Derrick.

BTW, wouldn't you have loved a slice of that cake?  Could there have been any more chocolate infused into one dessert?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewel on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Yes, we're down to the final 3 and next week's 2 hour episode should be a nail biter. 

I wasn't able to watch last night's show until a bit later and didn't dare look at this forum in fear that someone might have spilled the beans. 

Did you all see/hear there's a Master Chef cruise to the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale from November 6-13?

There were a few outstanding dishes IMO and I felt Nick and Claudia's Italian crab cake appetizer looked so tasty with the red pepper sesame sauce and plated well for presentation. Also, their pan seared salmon would have passed the judges' test had the salmon not been over-seared (if that's a word).  I wondered as well why they decided to use the same sauce as the crab cakes.  

Stephen and Derrick appeared to have come together with their prawn ceviche dish, but the taste wasn't up-to-scratch.  Was it Derrick's idea to add the pomegrante seeds?  Their seared duck entree looked mouth watering and I'd have loved to have it on my table.

I think the Pressure Test would have been a challenge for any chef.  When Christina rolled out the dessert table, I could have crawled through the TV to have a sample of everything.  I wasn't surprised when she chose the Chocolate Malted Layer Cake for Nick and Claudia to make.  When all was said and done, taste ruled over presentation.  Congrats to Claudia.

I hope I have the dishes and names in the right order and spelled correctly - LOL!!  Like I said, it was late when I watched the show and can't wait for next Wednesday.
Jewel
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:08 pm

What an intense competition! It's so sad to see any of them leave at this point, but the outcome made sense. It seemed Nick could have advanced if he had asked Claudia for ingredients. I get why he didn't, but I hope that if he does need help to get his dream gastro pub going, Nick decides to take Gordon up on his offer of help.

I think the judges appreciate the quality of this group as much or more than we do. I'm really looking forward to the finale!

As for Tommy, I liked him. He made me laugh. He seemed to have some talent too.

Judy

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:13 am

Jewel, I'm afraid most of those dishes are above my gastro level.  I've never even tasted duck.  lol.  Claudia insisted on putting the salmon seared-side down, overruling Nick.  It came back to bite them.  I LOVE salmon.  Funny when you think about it, but it's likely she lost the team challenge for them, yet took out Nick at the end.

Yes, it was Derrick who insisted on the seeds, overruling Stephen.

Judy, I wasn't a fan of Tommy.  Too much a caricature.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:42 pm

I didn't get to watch this episode because the local FOX channel here showed the soccer game at that time and I did not realize they were showing Masterchef at 11:35 pm.  So I missed seeing that Chocolate Cake.   Crying
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by WidderWoman4 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:32 pm

I've been watching the Ken Burns special on PBS, Civil War.  I have no idea what happened in Master Chef.
WidderWoman4
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewel on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:31 pm

SLA44 wrote:I didn't get to watch this episode because the local FOX channel here showed the soccer game at that time and I did not realize they were showing Masterchef at 11:35 pm.  So I missed seeing that Chocolate Cake.   Crying
OH SLA, the triple layer chocolate was a masterpiece.

If you're interested in watching Wednesday night's episode, you should be able to pick it up online.
Jewel
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:34 pm

I tried that but you have to register with your cable provider and I don't have cable so I was sorry out of luck.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewel on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:39 pm

singlyme wrote:Jewel, I'm afraid most of those dishes are above my gastro level.  I've never even tasted duck.  lol.  Claudia insisted on putting the salmon seared-side down, overruling Nick.  It came back to bite them.  I LOVE salmon.  Funny when you think about it, but it's likely she lost the team challenge for them, yet took out Nick at the end.

Yes, it was Derrick who insisted on the seeds, overruling Stephen.

Judy, I wasn't a fan of Tommy.  Too much a caricature.
Singly, as well, those dishes with rich sauces and spices wouldn't agree with my stomach at all. 

Duck is delicious if prepared properly.  Rather than turkey, we have feasted on duck in the past for Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Jewel on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jewel
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:52 pm

I don't like duck and maybe its because of the way it prepared or that it was wild and really tasted wild.  Singly I love salmon also and halibut which is always so expensive.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:00 am

WidderWoman4 wrote:I've been watching the Ken Burns special on PBS, Civil War.  I have no idea what happened in Master Chef.

I just noticed this series on the guide last night.  It was Episode One, with no future showings listed.  I'm sorry I missed this.  I'll have to look at On Demand and see if it's available.  I did note that it was a series from many years ago, yes?

What I'd really like to see is for NatGeo or PBS to rerun the Jane Goodall series with the chimps.  There have been a special or two, but nothing to compare to the original series.  I'd love for my grandchildren to watch this with me.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:07 am

SLA44 wrote:I don't like duck and maybe its because of the way it prepared or that it was wild and really tasted wild.  Singly I love salmon also and halibut which is always so expensive.

I guess I've just never had any interest in tasting duck.  I love turkey and chicken, so I'm quite satisfied with those birds alone.  lol.

Up until last summer, I could say I'd never put deer meat in my mouth.  Unfortunately, my daughter tricked me with a deer burger, then asked how I liked it.  My answer was, "meh."  I was angry when she told me what it was.  I understand the whole overpopulation thing with deer, just never wanted to eat one.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:11 pm

I also just caught up on the show so didn't want to come here.  I made the mistake and found out Katrina had been voted out.

It seems like we all want Derrick to win.  He's been my favorite since the beginning.  All the cooks are doing really well and any little mistake will send them home.  I think Derrick's downfall might be that he gets in his head too much and overthinks things.
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:54 am

I was hoping for Derrick all through the show.  All these contestants were so likeable, it was difficult to be disappointed by the winner.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:12 pm

I was hoping for Derrick would win but that's life in the fast lane I guess.  

There was no way I would have stuck that octopus in my mouth.  No  I just preferred Derrick's dishes to Claudia's but that doesn't mean that what she fixed wasn't done to perfection just not to my taste.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Nor mine, SLA.  I picture Octopus being rubbery.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 pm

It's also very unattractive!
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg on Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:37 pm

I was really hoping for the Derrick win.  Since they're helping out so many of the eliminated contestants, I wonder if they are doing anything for him.  I'd love for Gordon to give him a gig in one of his restaurants.
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:04 am

Has anyone else been watching Master Chef Junior?
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:18 am

Ah, yes, SLA.  Those kids are amazing.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: