Season 17 - Week One

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Season 17 - Week One Empty Season 17 - Week One

Post by LadyMustang65 Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:58 am

I thought last night was a very enjoyable show over all.  I'm looking forward to this season.  I'm not crazy about the new arrangement - I would like to see the celebrities go up to the Celebraquarium after they've gotten their scores.  It's too crowded down by the judges' table, Bruno is already out of control, and it's only week one.  The celebs and pros don't seem to be having as much fun down there either.  Other than that, the changes seem mostly good.  I like the brief talk with the pair before they dance, and having it alternate between Brooke and Tom is good.  Brooke does seem more relaxed doing the moving-around interviews in different places. 

As for the pairings - Snooki and Sasha need to go first.  I don't like her, I don't like him, and together they annoy the beejeezus out of me.  In this case, I don't care that she's a reasonably decent dancer; she's way past her expiration date and needs to just go away permanently.  She's still a hot mess and apparently dumb as a box of rocks as well.  Wanted to slap her when Tom said that at 5'9" he's never felt so tall, and she corrected him that she is 4'9".  It's not always about you, dear.  Here's your sign.

They can be followed closely by Keyshawn and Sharna, even though it means losing Sharna whom I grew to adore last season.  He was overscored and doesn't seem to have much personality, and she doesn't seem to really like him or enjoy working with him.  After them should go Brant and Peta, mostly because although he seems likeable enough, Peta made me want to gag last night, and she's looking harder than ever. 

I'm torn on Bill Nye.  When he first showed up and was swing-dancing with Tyne, it looked like he had rhythm and an easy grace about him.  But that didn't show up in his dance last night, so I'm thinking at the moment that Tyne just isn't a good teacher or a good choreographer.  It probably also doesn't help that she's not a ballroom dancer.  What the heck were they thinking?  How do they expect her to do a decent job of teaching and choreographing when she doesn't know the dances herself?  It just seems like he should have done so much better than that, although those scores were just insulting.  He wasn't that bad.  I think I would have much preferred to see Sharna with him, and I can't help but wonder how that pairing would have done.  Or couldn't they have brought back Chelsie or Lacey to dance with him?  It make no sense to me to bring in a non-ballroom dancer for this show.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

All of the rest seem likeable enough, and all seem to have at least some potential.  Amber Riley was terrific as was Corbin Bleu.  Jack Osbourne and Bill Engvall were pleasant surprises.  I loved the opening sequence, even if it  was a complete rip-off of the SYTYCD  opening sequence, and they did it better.  It was still fun.  I expect they'll be coming down the stairs in future weeks.  And I still dislike the addition of contemporary to the show.  I get more than enough of it on SYTYCD, and there are plenty of other ballroom dances they could use if they want to include something different. 

But overall I think I'm going to enjoy this season.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Season 17 - Week One Empty Re: Season 17 - Week One

Post by BlueMoon Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:38 pm

I enjoyed the show last night, too, and think it's going to be a pretty good season.  There seem to be some fairly good dancers.  However, I don't like the changes they made with the couples on the other side of the judges (it just feels so awkward to me), and all of them being downstairs.  I like to see them maneuver the stairs.  The dancers don't look too happy down there, either.  They remind me of kids at school being told to stay in their seats. 

I was surprised that Derek got the star he did since he usually gets someone close to his own ability.
BlueMoon
BlueMoon

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 am

The show was preempted in my area and I didn't get to see it until yesterday morning.  I agree about the new area for the judges.  Have no idea how the people behind them can see anything.  And Bruno...well,....

What threw me for a loop was the scoring.  9's??  For a dance that was no better than a couple of others.  Normally, I don't like to see heavy people dance because they're boxy.  This one has a waist - which defines her hips and shoulders.  MUCH more pleasant to watch.

HOWEVER... I spent most of my time dissecting the scoring system.  I've heard it mentioned a few times that the judges watch the dress rehearsals.  It has occurred to me that it's when the scores are decided and they start writing up their little zingers which are broadcast during the show.  By setting the scores ahead of time, they can arrange the leader board and be sure their favs are on top with no surprise dances to throw them off their plan for the week.

Anyway...  I saw critique when I thought praise was warranted - praise where I expected critique.  The black guy (forgive me, I don't know a lot of names yet) looked stiff and they called him fabulous.  Bill Engvall was a completely pleasant surprise - smooth, with grace and musicality - and they gave him the critique the black guy should've had.  ?????

I'm with you, mustang, on Snookie.  As repugnant as always.  And less Brooke is always good.  Bill Nye looked like he had a rod up his back, but the scores were as insulting as the comments.  Amazed at his fans' enthusiasm.  Didn't know he'd have such ardent followers.

I suppose I'll be more forthcoming about the dancers once I've settled in.  Too many strangers right now - pros and celebs alike.

Blue, I never cared for those stairs.  Each time, during the descent, I was waiting for someone in heels to slip.  And felt bad they had to run up there after an exhausting dance.  I like the swiftness of scoring with the dancers on the floor.  Less wasted time.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:02 pm

There has to be less wasted time since there is not all that chit-chat with Brooke before and after the scoring, among other things. No one gets to repeat their dance on the "results" show because there is none. I suspect this is a reaction to trying to "tighten up" the show due to declining viewership (redux of The Bachelor/ette). There were some interesting performances, and it is gratifying to see Valerie Harper seemingly well. We can only pray she will beat this horrible cancer.

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:20 am

I hadn't thought about it, newto, but you're absolutely right.  In this streamlined world, I would imagine many were impatient with the dragged out format of the show.  There was seldom an occasion when we'd see more than one dancer between commercials.

I've enjoyed seeing rehearsal moments but viewed the troupe dances much like I would watching a sport in which I had no dog in the fight.  But I think we might find the placement of the judges somewhat distracting for Bruno.  LOL.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top