WEEK 1, Season 23

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WEEK 1, Season 23 Empty WEEK 1, Season 23

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 pm

The list of dances and songs has been published for Week 1 of the new season:

• Jake T. Austin & Jenna Johnson– Jive – “Kiss You” by One Direction
  • Babyface & Allison Holker – Foxtrot – “Deed I Do” by Ray Charles
  • Laurie Hernandez & Val Chmerkovskiy – Cha Cha – “American Girl” by Bonnie McKee
  • James Hinchcliffe & Sharna Burgess – Foxtrot – “Live Life” by Zayde Wølf
  • Calvin Johnson & Lindsay Arnold – Cha Cha – “That’s What I Like” by Flo Rida feat. FitzLunchmoney
  • Terra Jole & Sasha Farber – Jive – “Stuff Like That There” by Betty Hutton
  • Jana Kramer & Gleb Savchenko – Viennese Waltz – “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande
  • Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke – Foxtrot – “Call Me Irresponsible” by Michael Bublé
  • Maureen McCormick & Artem Chigvintsev – Viennese Waltz – “You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman” by Mary J. Blige
  • Rick Perry & Emma Slater – Cha Cha – “God Blessed Texas” by Little Texas
  • Amber Rose & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – Foxtrot – “Here” by Alessia Cara
  • Vanilla Ice & Witney Carson – Cha Cha – “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice

Last edited by Psychee22 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

WEEK 1, Season 23 Empty Re: WEEK 1, Season 23

Post by SLA44 Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Here is ABC's Press Release for week 1;

ABC’s ‘Dancing with the Stars’ Returns With a Special Two-Hour Season Premiere on September 12

ABC’S ‘DANCING WITH THE STARS’ RETURNS WITH A
SPECIAL TWO-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE ON SEPTEMBER 12

“Episode 2301” – “Dancing with the Stars” is back with its most dynamic cast yet and ready to hit the ballroom floor. The competition begins with the two-hour season premiere, live, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12 (8:00-10:01 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network. The premiere episode will kick off with the largest scale opening number ever, shot with the pros at Griffith Observatory.

Each couple will perform a Jive, Foxtrot, Cha Cha or Viennese Waltz, vying for America’s vote for the first time. No couples will be eliminated on week 1, and they will all advance to week 2 of the competition.

Each Couple Will Dance to the Following Songs (in alphabetical order):

Jake T. Austin & Jenna Johnson – jive – “Kiss You” by One Direction

Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds & Allison Holker – foxtrot – “Deed I Do” by Ray Charles

Marilu Henner & Derek Hough – jive – “Can’t Stop Dancing” by Becky G

Laurie Hernandez & Valentin Chmerkovskiy – cha cha – “American Girl” by Bonnie McKee

James Hinchcliffe & Sharna Burgess – foxtrot – “Live Life” by Zayde Wølf

Calvin Johnson Jr. & Lindsay Arnold – cha cha – “That’s What I Like” by Flo Rida feat. Fitz Lunchmoney

Terra Jolé & Sasha Farber – jive – “Stuff Like That There” by Betty Hutton

Jana Kramer & Gleb Savchenko – Viennese Waltz – “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande

Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke – foxtrot – “Call Me Irresponsible” by Michael Bublé

Maureen McCormick & Artem Chigvintsev – Viennese Waltz – “You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman” by Mary J. Blige

Rick Perry & Emma Slater – cha cha – “God Blessed Texas” by Little Texas

Amber Rose & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – foxtrot – “Here” by Alessia Cara

Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle) & Witney Carson – cha cha – “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice

Hosted by two-time Emmy-winning host Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews (sports host and “Dancing with the Stars” season 10 finalist), “Dancing with the Stars” is the hit series in which celebrities perform choreographed dance routines which are judged by a panel of renowned ballroom experts, including head judge, Len Goodman, dancers/choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba.

For Monday, viewers may cast their votes for their favorite couples via phone during and up to 60 minutes after the end of the “Dancing with the Stars” broadcast in each time zone. Online voting at www.ABC.com and on Facebook at https://apps.facebook.com/votedwts/ is open for 24 hours, beginning from the start of each episode on the East Coast at 8:00 p.m. EDT/5:00 p.m. PDT and closing at 8:00 p.m. EDT/5:00 p.m. PDT on Tuesday evenings.

Editors please note: “Dancing with the Stars” will air live from 5:00-7:01 p.m., PDT in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

“Dancing with the Stars” is produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Rob Wade, Ashley Edens-Shaffer and Joe Sungkur are executive producers. Phil Heyes directs. “Dancing with the Stars” is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format, with 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-PG, L parental guideline.

About BBC Worldwide Productions 

BBC Worldwide Productions is a key business under BBC Worldwide North America, the U.S. division of the main commercial arm and wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), BBC Worldwide.  Based in Los Angeles, BBC Worldwide Productions develops and produces scripted and unscripted projects based on BBC formats/brands for cable and broadcast networks, as well as digital platforms. Key titles include “Dancing with the Stars” (ABC), “Getting On” (HBO), “Top Gear” (History), the limited series “The Night Of” (HBO) and the upcoming game show, “Hypnotize Me“(FOX).

ABC Media Relations 

George Zaralidis
(818) 460-7920
george.zaralidis@abc.com

Amber Brockman
(818) 460-7093
amber.brockman@abc.com

Nate Reeves
(818) 460-6422
nate.reeves@abc.com

Jeff Fordis
(818) 460-6676
jeffrey.a.fordis@abc.com

Downloadable HD video clips will be posted to www.disneyabcpress.com every Monday approximately 9:00 p.m. PDT.

Photography will be available at www.disneyabcpress.com or at (818) 460-6611.

Share: http://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/?p=259096

Facebook: www.facebook.com/dancingwiththestars 

Twitter: @DancingABC, #DWTS 

Instagram: @DancingABC

Vine: @DancingABC @ABC_Publicity

http://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/press-releases/
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:44 pm

The show will air live in California at 5pm?   Is this something new?
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:53 pm

Psychee22 wrote:The show will air live in California at 5pm?   Is this something new?
I don't know - it says it will air in LA and San Francisco at 5:00 pm and it sounds like maybe its a onetime thing.  Will have to see what they say for week 2 when that release comes out.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:34 pm

They are having a football game.  It's Rams vs 49ers.  It most likely is a onetime thing.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:53 am

Thanks SLA44 for the info!! Very Happy

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:55 am

kincaid53 wrote:  Thanks SLA44 for the info!! Very Happy
You are Welcome  I didn't see any mention of Julianne Hough being a judge though.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:24 am

Put on your dancing shoes, it's almost time!  Man dance
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:11 am

SLA44 wrote:
You are Welcome  I didn't see any mention of Julianne Hough being a judge though 
I would hazard a guess that the show is doing their little coy routine and Julianne will be announced as a judge at the last minute. They love to think we are all on tenterhooks waiting for a Hough announcement. Either one will do, last minute Derek, last minute Julianne. Sheesh, just get on with it!!!!
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by therealdfshary Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:49 pm

So True!! Rolling Eyes
therealdfshary
therealdfshary
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:24 pm

On Friday, JustJared reported that Julianne had not yet signed a contract to be a judge this season on DWTS. 

Maybe they will just want her to be a guest judge later in the season.

Four judges is too many in the early weeks, anyway.  With so many couples, there is no time for them to talk.

Also, there will be one week this season when the show is only an hour because of elections or debates.  How could they have four judges with that?

EDITED TO ADD:

Julianne confirmed that she will be back as a judge this season during a red carpet interview tonight at the Dizzy Feet Foundation Gala.  [Derek and Julianne are receiving "Inspiration" awards tonight and they will also be performing with Mark and Maddie Ziegler. ]

Also... there are four seats at the judge table in a backstage picture from DWTS rehearsals tonight.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Lesallee wrote:
SLA44 wrote:
You are Welcome  I didn't see any mention of Julianne Hough being a judge though 
I would hazard a guess that the show is doing their little coy routine and Julianne will be announced as a judge at the last minute. They love to think we are all on tenterhooks waiting for a Hough announcement. Either one will do, last minute Derek, last minute Julianne. Sheesh, just get on with it!!!!

My new word for the day...'tenterhooks' Very Happy     Of course JH will be back. Maksim is back and she's been working on new snarky comments to make to him........when she really secretly  'luuuuuuvvvs' him  Love

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:32 pm

kincaid53 wrote:

My new word for the day...'tenterhooks' Very Happy     Of course JH will be back. Maksim is back and she's been working on new snarky comments to make to him........when she really secretly  'luuuuuuvvvs' him  Love
Come on, sis- it's all part of the show. The Hough/ Chmerkovskiy fan-battles have been pushing the ratings more than anything. All four of them probably have restraining orders not to reveal how well they really get along. There you have it: another conspiracy.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by therealdfshary Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:11 pm

How can you not Luv Maks????? Fireworks
therealdfshary
therealdfshary
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Walker7 Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 pm

I voted all I could for Laurie and Val.  They were certainly the best tonight.

Jana was also really good.  That dance was really sultry.

Walker7

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:12 am

The Scores From Week One:

Judges’ Scores:

Laurie Hernandez and Valentin Chmerkovskiy: 31
James Hinchcliffe and Sharna Burgess: 31
Marilu Henner and Derek Hough: 27
Jana Kramer and Gleb Savchenko: 27
Calvin Johnson Jr. and Lindsay Arnold: 26
Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds and Allison Holker: 26
Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle) and Witney Carson: 25
Terra Jolé and Sasha Farber: 25
Amber Rose and Maksim Chmerkovskiy: 24
Ryan Lochte and Cheryl Burke: 24
Maureen McCormick and Artem Chigvintsev: 22
Jake T. Austin and Jenna Johnson: 22
Rick Perry and Emma Slater: 20

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:54 am

Last night demonstrated well that 4 judges are one too many. With so many dances there wasn't time to listen to all four judges ramble on and thankfully the show recognized that and used only three per dance.

I thought Julianne was the most effective and on the money judge last night. Sometimes I surprise myself, lol.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by therealdfshary Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:48 pm

IMO I thought some of her scores were too low.
therealdfshary
therealdfshary
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:33 pm

therealdfshary wrote:IMO I thought some of her scores were too low.

It looked to me like she planned in advance not to give anyone a score greater than 7 on the first day so that she would have room to show improvement over the course of the season.  It is a good plan.  I think Len tried to do that last season, but this season he let Julianne be the bad guy. 

The important thing, I think, is that she was very consistent.  She pretty much rated the couples the same as the other judges, but subtracted a point.  So that is fair.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 pm

I think it was a couple of seasons ago the judges started off throwing out high scores right from week one. They boxed themselves in and then had no way to reflect growth and improvement. So Julianne's plan is a well reasoned one. 

I follow Strictly Come Dancing and boy oh boy, the contestants on that show have to earn high scores. They certainly aren't showered on them like candy in the first few weeks. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:22 pm

This is one of the first seasons that I went back and watched every dance again. Usually I skip over a few. I enjoyed every couple from beginning to end. Their dancing, their enthusiasm for just being there.

Applause Very enjoyable first night!!!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:55 am

Lesallee wrote:I think it was a couple of seasons ago the judges started off throwing out high scores right from week one. They boxed themselves in and then had no way to reflect growth and improvement. So Julianne's plan is a well reasoned one. 

I follow Strictly Come Dancing and boy oh boy, the contestants on that show have to earn high scores. They certainly aren't showered on them like candy in the first few weeks. 

Psychologically speaking, it is probably too late in the history of the show to change to giving scores in the 1-4 range for the American public.  Folks feel highly insulted when they get 5's.

But what if they extended their score system as the season progressed?  Like in week 5, they could have an 11 paddle.  And every week after that they could add a paddle for a new high score.

That would be like extending the garden so that they have room to grow.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:26 pm

I don't think extending the range would help. Not long before people would feel insulted if they only score ten...
New judges might reset the scale, but the show wouldn't be the same without these people- including Julianne!! Maybe guest judges like Craig from SCD or our Joachim Llambi could be an eye-opener for the audience. Just to experience the difference.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:44 pm

This is really a problem, though.  They are using a scale with only three to four numbers on it.  They start out 5-8, and end at 8-10.  That small range gives the fans too much power over the outcome relative to the judges because they have a wider scale.

SCD doesn't actually use judge scores directly in determining eliminations, does it?  Don't they use the scores to rank order and then use the rank order in their formula for eliminations?

I probably could just look that up, but I'm being lazy...
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:16 pm

Scores and votes are combined to determin the bottom two. Then, at the end of the weekly results show(!), ihere's a dance-off between these two couples and the judges decide who stays and who leaves.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top