WEEK 1, Season 23

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WEEK 1, Season 23 - Page 2 Empty Re: WEEK 1, Season 23

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:19 pm

I looked it up, DMD.  I think things may have been changed.

Here in the US, we use raw numbers to determine the outcome.  We use actual judge scores divided by total number of judge points awarded to get the first half of the equation (that fraction of points that the couple received out of all the points the judges awarded).  And then actual number of audience votes divided by total number of audience votes received for the second part of the equation, and then both fractions are added together for that final score. 

In SCD, they take those raw scores and convert them first into rankings.  So if there are seven couples left, the couple with the best judge scores will get a 7, and the one with the least will be assigned a 1.

When the audience votes are counted, they are also rank ordered.  Same as above. 

So, if again there are seven couples, the couple who danced best will be given a 7 and if that couple gets the fewest votes from the audience, it will get a 1 for that, and the two numbers will be added together for a total of 8.  Got that?

Then a list will be made of those cumulative scores... which, in the case of 7 couples could range from a possible 14 to 2.   The couple with the lowest score will go home unless there is a tie.  If there is a tie, the judges will make the decision as to who will go home.  They may or may not use a dance-off for that.

Their system protects folks from the bullet-proof advantage that someone with a huge number of outside fans relative to others could have in ours.  A person could have millions of extra votes coming in from the audience and it would only give them one more point relative to the next less popular couple in SCD. 

And on the judge side of the equation, their system guarantees the same kind of spread as the voting.

Probably way too complicated for Americans to understand. Very Happy
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:50 pm

There is always a dance off for the two lowest scoring couples with the judges deciding who stays. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:56 pm

Yes ...too complicated for this American Dizzy ,but if there is any brownies or poTcorn left maybe that will help. Popcorn  

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Lesallee wrote:There is always a dance off for the two lowest scoring couples with the judges deciding who stays. 

Perhaps they always had it in the past, but currently they are saying on their website that it will only happen when the bottom two are tied in points and not always then, either. 

SCD - BBC Scoring
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Walker7 Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Psychee22 wrote:This is really a problem, though.  They are using a scale with only three to four numbers on it.  They start out 5-8, and end at 8-10.  That small range gives the fans too much power over the outcome relative to the judges because they have a wider scale. SCD doesn't actually use judge scores directly in determining eliminations, does it?  Don't they use the scores to rank order and then use the rank order in their formula for eliminations?

DWTS actually had the ranking point scoring system for the first two seasons, and ever since season 3, they changed it to the percentage scoring system, which is still used to this day.

Psychee22 wrote:In SCD, they take those raw scores and convert them first into rankings.  So if there are seven couples left, the couple with the best judge scores will get a 7, and the one with the least will be assigned a 1.  When the audience votes are counted, they are also rank ordered.  And on the judge side of the equation, their system guarantees the same kind of spread as the voting.

I totally agree!
  I wish DWTS had kept the ranking points, since in my opinion, that system is better for the reason I highlighted above.

Lesallee wrote:There is always a dance off for the two lowest scoring couples with the judges deciding who stays. 

I think SCD adopted this procedure many years ago.  DWTS has had it before, but not for an entire season.  I'm still hoping DWTS will eventually do a season where every week, there is a dance-off between the bottom 2 (or sometimes the bottom 3), with the judges choosing who stays and goes.  This might have worked well in the early years of DWTS (2005-2007, or maybe later).

Last edited by Walker7 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Walker7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

I think there is still a Dance Off, Psychee. I read their scoring procedures a couple of times. Time will tell.

My boy Tristan and his partner were saved by the dance off more than once. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:05 pm

I think I may be going insane.  I just clicked on my own link above and this led me to the 2015 rules, not the 2016 rules that I had read before.  This one reads just as you say, Lesallee.  And it IS the one that is currently linked on their new season front page.

But even stranger is that when I try to use Google to find the page I found before, I find yet another "About" page but this one still is not the one I read before and is for 2014!  And THAT page links back to the current front page as well. 

So for the last hour or so I have been going around in circles, and thinking that either my mind is messing with me or someone is messing with my mind....

For now, though, I will simply say that perhaps I read it wrong? And you are all right about the dance-offs always happening. Sorry
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:26 pm

I truly wish DWTS incorporated the dance off. It can prevent some of those "surprise evictions" that we see nearly every season. It just seems a more sensible way of doing things.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Psychee22 wrote:I think I may be going insane.  I just clicked on my own link above and this led me to the 2015 rules, not the 2016 rules that I had read before.  This one reads just as you say, Lesallee.  And it IS the one that is currently linked on their new season front page.

But even stranger is that when I try to use Google to find the page I found before, I find yet another "About" page but this one still is not the one I read before and is for 2014!  And THAT page links back to the current front page as well. 

So for the last hour or so I have been going around in circles, and thinking that either my mind is messing with me or someone is messing with my mind....

For now, though, I will simply say that perhaps I read it wrong? And you are all right about the dance-offs always happening. Sorry
That's okay, Psychee. Brother DMD and I are Strictly fans, probably the only ones on this board and we hadn't heard about any scoring changes that would impact the dance off. The Strictly season is underway also and we look forward to some great dances.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:33 pm

So I guess that might have taken care of Bill Engvall and  Tommy Chong. Two people myself and obviously a lot of people loved. Sad   

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:42 pm

Well Sis, Tommy and Bill weren't in the bottom two votes wise until deep in the season so it probably wouldn't apply. But I think, when either actually was in the bottom two they woul have been eliminated by the judges. Because at that point in the comp almost all the remaining couples were technically better dancers.

Doesn't matter a hoot, we're Chongies forever!
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:10 am

Lesallee wrote:Well Sis, Tommy and Bill weren't in the bottom two votes wise until deep in the season so it probably wouldn't apply. But I think, when either actually was in the bottom two they woul have been eliminated by the judges. Because at that point in the comp almost all the remaining couples were technically better dancers.

Doesn't matter a hoot, we're Chongies forever!

So if it had not been a 4 person final when James was competing and they had a dance off between James, the( imo).... more technically better dancer than Candace, that was a 'fan favorite'.  and they were the bottom two and had to do a dance off to see who would be in the finals. Who do you think the judges would have picked? 

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:28 am

I suspect James would have won over Candace in the judges eyes. He was a much better dancer than she was at that point. But, the fan vote overrode all as it frequently does. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:39 am

Lesallee wrote:I suspect James would have won over Candace in the judges eyes. He was a much better dancer than she was at that point. But, the fan vote overrode all as it frequently does. 

They mix things up different seasons. Not sure the rhyme or reason when they do the bottom two dance off, the immunity while the others pair off and battle each other for points and the other one where the last couple standing get extra points,  etc. Doubt that it's going to change. You are right, it doesn't matter we enjoy the show come what may......and yes Chongies forever!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 am

I don't get how she had more fans than James. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:24 am

Glittersisgld wrote:I don't get how she had more fans than James. 

Like Bristol Palin and Sadie Robinson, Candice had that whole conservative / evangelical Christian faction voting for her. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top