Begins Tonight!!!

Last edited by singlyme on Wed May 15, 2013 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

So You Think You Can Dance Empty Re: So You Think You Can Dance

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 6:00 pm

singlyme wrote:Begin Tonight!!!

Thanks Singly for the reminder I forgot I love this show So You Think You Can Dance 1014159512so will have to DVR again because I also love The Voice.

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed May 15, 2013 8:03 am

I enjoy the auditions but don't know if it's worth mentioning anyone. They give some of the contestants' littles stories, and we have no idea whether we'll ever see them again. They might not make the first cut in Vegas. I try not to get invested in anyone until they get down to more manageable numbers.

I DID think Fiction, the first performer, was a stand-out. Normally, I don't go for the B-Boy, Hip Hop stuff because I have to listen to the music that goes with it. I learned that if you mute the music, the moves are hysterical.

I don't know if it's my DirectTV upgrade or reality, but it appears Mary Murphy has really slimmed down. And I loved that dress. TV or real?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 am

Wait . . . seriously? It started last night? I have not seen one single commercial advertising that fact. Yikes! I had no idea it was starting. I missed it.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 15, 2013 10:24 am

LadyMustang65 wrote:Wait . . . seriously? It started last night? I have not seen one single commercial advertising that fact. Yikes! I had no idea it was starting. I missed it.

Do not worry you did not miss much they sent a lot to hollywood mostly contemporary dancers but there was one guy on there that already won SYTYCD in another country he was a ballroom dancer. The only one who really impressed me was the first guy that performed and he was a hip hop dancer but his moves were amazing. It will be on again tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Wed May 15, 2013 10:56 am

LadyMustang65 wrote:Wait . . . seriously? It started last night? I have not seen one single commercial advertising that fact. Yikes! I had no idea it was starting. I missed it.

Hi LadyMustang, it will be on again tonight right after American Idol. I'm sure you can probably pick up last night's show on-line though if you want to watch it.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks, guys.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed May 22, 2013 7:25 am

For some reason, I'm not really enjoying the auditions so far. Perhaps I'm in an entertainment funk. No one has "grabbed" me yet. There were some cute kids on. *furrowed brow* Did they show BOTH kids last night? These shows are getting to me. Too many on in one night with a lot of f-fwding by me to catch them all. Maybe I'm reacting to "glut."

I'm not enjoying the bone-breakers at all. More like contortions that belong in a circus sideshow - with gasps coming from the audience. I'll look forward to next week when (is the name "Shankman?") is on. My mind is gone, but I LOVE this guy and his humor. I still haven't forgotten his falling out of his chair in a melt last season.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 am

Now that we're down to the top 20, I'm in a completely new frame of mind.  All I can say is WOW!!!

What's NOT to like.  I love Cat Deeley - her warmth, her humor, her clothes!  I love Adam Shankman and I hope he stays a judge all season!  I'm glad to see Mia back - with hair - and hope she's learned to curb her bluntness with the dancers!

I loved the way they presented each genre with their own dances.  The only routines I didn't like were the top ten girls in that 60's number and the finale with all 20.  The finale was chaos for me to watch.

And I love Alexis.  Don't believe I've ever seen a tapper with so much fluidity to blunt the staccato movement you normally see with tap.  Personality plus.  This girl is someone to watch.  They're already pumping Amy - and another whose name escapes me. 

mustang, where are you?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 pm

I am here, Singly!  I haven't said anything because I missed the first half of the show on Tuesday.  I was visiting with my mom.  My kids taped it for me; I just haven't had a chance to watch the first half yet.  So I missed the tapper (and didn't see her audition either).  The ones I saw were all pretty good.  Do they have their usual overload of contemporary/jazz/lyrical dancers? 

I have noticed that they are continuing to "go young" with their choices.  A few years back when Evan and his older brother both tried out and made it to Vegas, I would have chosen the older brother (although I really liked Evan) and given Evan a little more time to mature.  With the ballroom brothers, again I would have gone with the older brother as the more mature dancer, and let Alex (?) try again another season. 

I guess I'm not surprised that Cyrus's ex made it (can't remember her name for the life of me - is she Jasmine?), but I'm not sure there weren't better choices.  But I guess she makes for a "story" of how Cyrus made it and now her.  And isn't that one of Cyrus's housemates there as well (the guy with the purple in his hair)?  Did Fikshun (or however he spells it) make it?  I was really impressed with him during auditions and Vegas week.  I was going to say I like the brunette ballroom dancer, but they're all brunette so that doesn't help.  The girl with the big mouth (not as in loud but just as in big - lots of teeth when she smiles). 

Anyway, should be a fun season.  Do you know - are they doing the one-night again with eliminations at the end of the following week show?  That format worked fairly well, I thought.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:16 pm

You'll have to let me know how you like Alexis once you've had a chance to watch the first half.  Jasmine is actually good.  They had her paired with the favorite, Amy, and I actually preferred her arm and leg positioning.  Cyrus' housemate is "Blue-something."  Blue lightning, maybe?  He's the only one I don't really care for and it's nothing to do with his dancing.  Just don't like his looks.  *shame on me*

Yes, Fikshun made it.  One of those two little black guys reminds me of Frankie Lymon.  Can't remember which it is.  Both good-looking kids - and talented!  I think I know which ballroom girl you're talking about. 

I don't think it's terribly lopsided toward contemporary.  Four?  Six?  And you know contemporary is my fav.  But there are four ballroom, two jazz, three tappers, and two animators.  I'm missing something.  No matter how I count it, it's not 20.  Oh, maybe the rest are hip-hop.

I think it's going to be once a week again.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 am

I did like Alexis.  And I agree about Jasmine.  I had her confused with the other tall black girl from the end.  (Still don't have names straight.) 

Your count comes to 11, and there were 2 hip hop to make 13, which would leave 7 contemporary.  So not as lopsided as in years past where you could count on at least half to be contemporary. 

Looks to be a good season.  Now if the judges can just keep their mouths shut and stick to constructive comments and refrain from telling us who our favorites should be and saving them even if America keeps putting them in the bottom, all will be good.  Smile

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:48 am

Rarin' to go!

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 am

Mustang, I was completely unaware we had two Jasmines.  Now, I'm wondering which one it was who danced with Amy last week.  My view/take on last night:

Mariah & Carlos:  I thought he looked really good.  Mariah looked "heavy" with no self-elevation.  It appeared he did all the work on the lifts.  She reminds me of the heavy-footed Ryan from a past season.

Jasmine M. & Alan:  I only saw the first few seconds before a vicious thunder storm froze my satellite.  Was the blindfold routine as interesting as it looked?

Malece & Jade:  She was just okay.  And I'm sorry, but he's just too short, compact, and boxy to do anything for me.  Her performance may have suffered because of it.

Jenna & Tucker:  I liked most of it.  When Jenna started up with those legs, she was reminiscent of Ann Reinking.  There were a couple of cringe-worthy leaps but she stole the show from Tucker.  Is she the one you like?

Brittany & BluePrint:  I didn't even remember her.  She was okay.  And for an animator, Blue did surprisingly well.  Some "stalls" between moves, but impressive for a beginner.

Alexis & Nico:  I like them both as dancers but as we both know, Hip Hop can be the kiss of death for votes.  I REALLY like this girl so I hope the genre doesn't kill her before she's out of the gate.  I liked Nico, too.  Both have a lot of sparkle and personality.  The dance was meh, but as you know, I do NOT like the genre.

Makenzie & Paul:  I thought of the two, he stood out.  She's another I didn't remember and despite the judges' praises, I didn't care for the number.  Perhaps I needed the long gown to make her waltz appear more graceful.  I wanted the ball instead of the cocktail party.  LOL.

Jasmine H & Aaron:  She was fantastic!  I was so consumed in watching her, I barely noticed Aaron.  Those legs!  Her winning smile makes me think of the wonderful Eleanor (Elinore?) who was on another season.

Hayley & Curtis:  For me, the choreo sucked so badly I can't fault the dancers.  Curtis is a cutie with a terrific smile.

Amy & Fik-shun:  I don't WANT to like her because they're giving her the "Melanie" push, but I have to admit she's great.  And he was amazing.  I gave them a standing O before the judges did.

So for me - so far - it's all about Amy and Jasmine H.  But I want to see Alexis in a more suitable dance.  If Fik-shun continues to rock his choreo, he may end up in the top.  There aren't any other stand-out guys for me thus far.  I suppose the most memorable of the night were Carlos, Nico, and Fik-shun.

I also see that nothing has changed with the judges.  Calling Amy "The Beast" is already annoying and it's only the first week of competition.  And my Alexis was the only one to get negative comments.  Boo-hiss.

I know Wayne Brady can sing, but he dances, too?  I'd rather see Adam in that chair on a permanent basis.  I don't like it when Lil Wayne and some of the others are there.  Can't say I appreciate their "expertise."

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Yup, we've got 2 Jasmines, and it doesn't help that they're both tall black girls with similar (to me anyway) facial structure.  I have trouble remembering which is which.

I loved the opening introduction number they did.  That was fun and original, and it was a hoot to see Nigel and Mary in there dancing along with some of the choreographers.  Really really enjoyed that.

I agree with you on Mariah and Carlos.  It wasn't a bad jive, and it was high-energy and a lot of fun, but I think we've seen better ones from some of the celebs on DWTS.  Jasmine M & Alan - yes yes yes - that routine was as interesting as it looked.  One of my favorites of the night and danced beautifully by both dancers.  There were a couple of fabulous moments - one where Jasmine jumps into Alan's arms and another where she drops backwards, and he catches her.  Also a pretty neat hand-change that could have been bad if they'd missed.  She is on my favorites list, and that dance is too.  Really really nice.

I agree on Malece and Jade.  It was okay for me.  I really enjoyed the Broadway number, though.  Yes, Jenna is the one I liked, and I also like Tucker.  I think this is another really good pairing.  I also agree on Brittany and BluePrint (although I am already sick of the judges and their "this is so outside of your experience" shtick) and Alexis and Nico.  I like both of those two.  I thought the dance was okay, and I actually liked it better than I usually do with hip hop because it was sort of "hip hop light" - I'm not a big fan of the "swag" which usually means making "mean" faces and grabbing your crotch.  But I understand what Mary was saying about them not being "down" enough and into the movements.  Still I like them both.

I liked the waltz a lot and thought it was very nicely done, but it wasn't a favorite routine for me.  The jazz number with Jasmine and Aaron was, though.  I thought this was a fantastic number, and I absolutely agree about Jasmine having the most gorgeous legs, but I disagree about Aaron.  I thought he was quite strong in this number, and he's a favorite guy for me at the moment.

I honestly cannot remember Hayley and Curtis, which is bad since I just watched it last night.  (I still have class every other Tuesday night, so I had to tape and watch the next night.)  But I did love Amy and Fik-shun.  That was another one of my favorite routines of the night.  Really really good.  I'm not as crazy about Amy as I am some of the other girls.  There's something about her that bugs a bit, but I can't exactly say why.  Not on a Ryan scale of bugging; just a little bugging.    But Fik-shun is just too cute and really good. 

I was pleasantly surprised that there is not anyone in the group that I really took a dislike to, and I thought they all did fairly well.  The weakest routines were probably the jive and the first hiphop, but even then I thought the dancers for the most part did a creditable job.  I don't really know who I think should go home next week - possibly Mariah?  There's no one I really want to see gone at this point.  My favorites so far are (I think) the two Jasmines and Jenna plus Aaron, Tucker and Fik-shun for the guys.  But it's early days yet, so who knows? 

I like Adam as a judge.  Lil C can be fun, but only in small doses.  But it's entertaining trying to figure out what the heck he's talking about!    I also enjoy Jesse Tyler Ferguson as a guest judge.  When they can get Debbie Allen, she's also good.  Mia tends to be too harsh if she's not a fan of the dancer. 

I don't believe that Wayne Brady is a trained dancer, but he did appear on Broadway in "Chicago," and he was also in a production of "Rent," so he would have had some training for those shows.  He also danced on DWTS when they did that tribute to James Brown, I think.

Last edited by LadyMustang65 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Their, they're and there - not interchangeable!)

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:45 pm

You're right, of course.  Too soon to pick absolute favorites.  I'm SO sorry the storm blew out Jasmine M.  She DOES have longer frizzed out hair, doesn't she?  And it's reddish, right?  The other has shorter hair that's black.  I'm thinking that's correct.

Amy is a fantastic dancer, but the smile is ingratiating.  Plastered on like an "aren't I precious?" cheshire-cat.  I hope they let her win on her own merit instead of promoting her all season the way they did Melanie.  If they do, they'll "force" me to dislike her - simply the rebellion factor.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:26 am

Yes, Jasmine M has the longer, frizzed-out hair, so it's easier to tell them apart when their hair is down.  It throws me when they both have it up, though.  And if they're not together, I can never remember which one has the longer, frizzed hair and which has the shorter hair.  Too early still.  At least I know they're both Jasmines.  Some of the others I can't even begin to come up with their names yet.   

I think you're right about the smile.  It's that "aren't I just too cute" smile usually accompanied by some kind of child-like gesture.  I feel the same way about her - I started off loving Melanie and ended up majorly disappointed that she won because I didn't feel she was as good as the judges made her out to be, and I felt like they were really trying to push people into voting for her.  If they do the same with Amy, unless she really brings the goods and can overcome that prejudice factor (it's America's favorite dancer - not Nigel's favorite dancer), I won't end up rooting for her to win either.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:17 am

I find that as I wait for the next show, I'm feeling afraid for Alexis, the tapper.  It was an unlucky draw(?) to get hip hop for the first night - BEFORE the voters could see her in a better light.  I'll be bummed if she goes.

Both my out-of-state kids are coming in today.  My son from TX and my daughter from NC.  He's coming without his family and has promised to paint my living room - an obstacle course of heavy furniture and hanging TV.  With both my shoulders out of commission, it's the first time I've ever asked for help with painting - my favorite home-improvement chore.

How is your mom doing?  Is her weight back up?  You had so much on your plate, I wondered about how you were faring during the off season of the show.  And have the majority of your customers found your new digs?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:53 am

mustang, hang on for me.  With all the company, I have the show taped but haven't watched yet.  My daughter and I may find time today.  Have you watched yet?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Singly - I did watch the show and have been waiting to hear that you've seen it as well.  I thought it was an excellent show except for the way they are doing the eliminations.  That really sucks.  But I thought all the dancers did a really nice job last week, and there wasn't a dance that really stood out to be as being bad, although I think the Bollywood was probably one of my least favorites.

I have class tomorrow night, so I'll have to watch the show on Wednesday.  I am still sold on the dancers I mentioned before and hope they all make it through safely.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:22 am

My eldest and I are the only ones who watch.  With all the company, we ended up watching the show piece-meal and I was probably "under"-impressed because of it.  You don't need to wait for me to see it to post your impressions.  You can just leave out who went home.  It looks like the rejected people will dance anyway.

Since I didn't see anything from you, I didn't bother posting so late in the game.  It's going to be difficult this year to choose someone I'd like to see go home.  Even Mariah pulled her feet out of the fire for me last week.

I'll be sure to post this week.  And how's your mom?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:53 am

First, I was surprised at the bottom three girls.

Jasmine H & Aaron (Broadway):  Her legs are phenomenal, but I wasn't crazy about the routine.  Aaron wasn't up to past performances for me.  SHE seems to excel at everything.

Makenzie & Paul - Contemporary:  They've both been forgettable.  The next morning, and I can't put a face to either of them.  I thought they did a great job.  Parts of that routine looked like a beautiful ballet.

Jasmine M & Alan - Jazz:  I liked it but wouldn't give it a 10.  LOL.

Jenna & Tucker - Hip Hop:  The style is always a "meh" for me.

What surprised me on this one was the judges.  A week ago, they were telling the couple they didn't get down and dirty enough.  I believed it was the choreo they were given.  THIS week, the judges are "allowing" for choreo and the jazz flavor.  Will this view keep changing, depending on who's dancing?

Malece & Marco - Contemporary:  Her movements were absolutely beautiful.  Her body lent itself to some gorgeous pose stops.

Another problem with the judges.  WHY did they give Marco the credit for maturing her?  Perhaps Jade held her back?  These comments really annoyed me.  For me, the costuming and routine made all the difference in her.  Certainly, Marco is a fantastic dancer and partner - but come on.  The judges gave praise, then handed it to Marco.

Hayley & Curtis - Samba:  Hayley is another whose face I can't remember, while Curtis is a cutie.  I was in complete disagreement with the judges.  While Curtis had a few rough spots, I couldn't take my eyes off of him - barely noticed Hayley, certainly not the "hotness" the judges saw in her.  (I think I kept imagining Max's leg sweep.  LOL)

Alexis & Nico - Jazz:  Nico looked good.  Alexis has been one of my favs since the get-go but she disappointed me here.  I thought she looked awkward and thick-legged.  Again, my opinion differed from the judges.

BluePrint & Mariah - Hip Hop:  Within the first 10 seconds, my spine was twitching and I had to mute the music.  You have no idea how incredibly stupid dancers look jumping around and jerking in silence.  That being said, I think she outshined him.

It seems I can look forward to having a storm blow through every Tuesday night.  I missed Amy and whoever(?) in their entirety.  Storms really knock out the satellite feed.  Last night, a lightning strike even disconnected my phone during a call.  I have no idea what's up with this weather (well, I do, but no one wants to hear about it - lol).

Tell me what Amy did and how much the judges praised their favorite.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Singly I was just curious if you ever read the recap on TV Grapevine of SYTYCD?  If so what do you think of it?  Here is the link if you haven't read it:

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php/71-fox/so-you-think-you-can-dance/1225-so-you-think-you-can-dance-recap-for-july-8-2013
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:01 am

SLA, thanks for your thoughtfulness.  It could come in handy in the future when I haven't been able to watch and want to know who's been eliminated.

Nothing beats watching the performances.  The storms we're getting seem determined to cut into this show for me - and I wasn't even aware Amy performed a Paso.  Satellite was out with the heavy rain!

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:28 am

My word!  I just realized I didn't see the show this week.  My sis says it was pre-empted here by a ball game.  MUSTANG, where are you???  What happened?

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum