So You Think You Can Dance

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So You Think You Can Dance - Page 3 Empty Re: So You Think You Can Dance

Post by LadyMustang65 Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Got smart finally and am doing this in another program and will cut-and-paste to the board.  Smile

Tonight's episode has been great.  I' m really enjoying it, and the AllStars are doing a great job of choreographing these routines.

Aaron - I thought he did a great job with the jive.  It's hard for the taller people to do that we with l, and I thought he did wonderfully.  I was kind of annoyed with Nigel - talk about damned by faint praise.  The comments they had to make really amounted to nitpicking, and I hope that and his first place performance don't put him in jeopardy next week.  Aaron is still my favorite guy.  I love watching him dance, and on a shallow note, I love that he looks like a man instead of a boy on the dance floor.

Fik-shun - Again, I thought he did a great job, and I liked the routine a lot, but I still think he's the weakest male dancer left.  I'm not sure who the judges will send home tonight.

Tucker - Another really beautiful  routine.  Tucker has such a wonderful quality of movement.  I really hope the judges save him. 

Paul - that was really fun.  Comfort did a great job choreographing that, and Paul did a great job dancing it with her.  Really fun and entertaining.

Hayley - I love Dmitry, and I loved this routine.  But Hayley just doesn't do a lot for me.  I don't know what it is, but I don't connect with her just as I didn't connect with Makenzie.  Nigel apparently forgot her disastrous hip hop last week when he was gushing about how there was nothing she can't do.

Jenna - this was an incredibly fantastic routine.  So great to see Mark again.  He is just too much.  And seeing Hayley and Jenna back to back, there is absolutely no question in my mind that Jenna should be saved.  I can't even imagine Hayley tackling that with half the anywhere near the success that Jenna had.  This was the best routine of the night.

Jasmine - Absolutely terrific!  One of the few dancers who has held her own against Twitch.  Great, fun routine, and she danced it wonderfully.  She is my top girl.  I just love her.

Amy - Can't help but feel that the show is trying to keep Amy in the running.  She gets the pimp spot and Travis.  This was a beautiful routine and there were some great moments in it, but for me it was too little too late.  I'm just over Amy, and she would still be my choice to leave tonight but she's not one of the choices.

Well that sucked.  Take the two better dancers and send them home.  I knew it was going to happen but I still hate it.  Jenna is so clearly better than either Hayley or Amy.  I will never understand why people didn't get behind Jenna , but oh well.  But I swear if Aaron and Jasmine go next week, I just may skip the finale because it won't matter which of the others win, I'll be unhappy.  Drat.  I'm really disgusted right now.  Sad

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:08 am

It's gotten to the point that I just sit back and let it roll.  From the beginning line-up last night, I was thinking "legs."  Jasmine and Tucker.  These two really have something special in the extension and lines. 

I'm so tired of Nigel's pandering for Amy.  Surely, he knows how obvious he is.  I've BEEN over her.  When I see her, I think of the Cheshire cat.  That smile would remain if she faded to black.  Travis has done some beautiful choreography but I honestly thought he looked bad last night.  It looked like he was "working" at dancing.  Slight breaks/pauses in transitions and a rough lift at one point.  I must admit Amy's flying spin was gorgeous.

My only four-star routines last night were for Tucker and Jasmine.  The rest were good but not memorable.

I sat looking at the final four at the end and realized I'm only watching for Tucker and Jasmine.  I also realized that Fik-shun was the only street boy left - which automatically guaranteed his spot ahead of the most talented male dancer (IMO) remaining.

I'll agree with one thing Nigel said.  The choreo - new and refreshing - seemed better.  And as you, I also like Aaron - don't think wanting to see a "man" is shallow.  LOL

I was completely confused when Nigel announced Jenna and Tucker going home.  "See you next week." ???  He made it sound like a pulled punch.  My brow was furrowed, thinking Cat was making a mistake in bidding them goodbye.  I kept waiting for Nigel to say,  "No, no, no.  THIS is the couple we saved."  Did you catch it that way??

Anyway, I must be going through some kind of transition myself.  The show has gone stale on me.  Have "I" changed - or is it the show?  Perhaps it's that the judges keep sending home people I like in favor of the likes of Fik-shun.  He's a cute kid, but come on, a better dancer than Tucker?  Apparently, the kid doesn't have the overwhelming support of young people or he wouldn't have been in the bottom.  And Nigel's pimping of his favorite has gone from annoying to obnoxious.  He doesn't know when to shut up about Amy.

If I'm not mistaken, Debbie Allen called Jenna a "choreographer's dream" - and Tucker got nothing but high praise this season.  It's looking like Nigel is removing Amy's competition.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 am

I don't have handy the few notes I made, so this is what stayed in my head:

I loved the Afro-flavored opening number.  Aaron stood out.

Amy mugged, Paul smiled, and Fik-shun sucked in the Fox Trot.

When Paul and Kathryn danced, I couldn't take my eyes off of HER.  LOL.  What a talent!!

I found myself wondering why they push so hard for the street boys but give the standing O's to contemporary and jazz.

I loved Jasmine's and Aaron's solos.  Their last number with the mirror had some really rough spots, but overall, it was good.  Was that leg stretch an illusion?  I really eye-balled that.  It seemed like the hip rotated to more of round-off.  Illusion that a split extension went that far?  She's fantastic.

I'm nearly certain Aaron will be the last guy standing.  For me, Jasmine is much more compelling to watch but they've pushed Amy so hard, I won't be surprised if "they" should rig a win.  Her cheesy grin really annoys me.

All in all, this week was the most enjoyable.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:11 pm

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, Singly.  I love Aaron; even that slight bobble with Melanie didn't stand out because they covered so well. I honestly never noticed his shoulders hunched up, but what do I know?  I loved both of his numbers, especially the one with Jasmine.  As much as they keep Amy and Fik-shun as the dream team, for me Aaron and Jasmine are the true dream team.  I loved both of their solos.  Jasmine was, to me, definitely the best of the group.  Couldn't believe all the bobbles  Amy had in hers.  We counted at least 3 because they just leaped out at you.  Fik-shun's solo was awesome as well.  In his own style he is just such a joy and a pleasure to watch.

Didn't like his fox trot much.  Didn't think Hayley's hip hop was good at all, but boy did I love seeing Joshua again.  As you mentioned with Paul and Katherine (and I agree), I couldn't stop watching Joshua. Hayley just disappeared for me. 

I thought Paul was terrific, but I'm not upset he left now.  I don't like the idea of winners from other versions of the show coming here and winning a second time.  Since he'd never hit the bottom before, I'm guessing that maybe a lot of folks felt as I do.  They voted to keep him around to nearly the end because he was good and deserved it, but then stopped voting for him to make sure he wouldn't win again.  Or it could be something totally different. 

I didn't care which of Amy or Hayley went home, as long as Jasmine stayed.  But honestly, I'll be annoyed if Amy wins over Jasmine for the girls.  When you can't even do your own solo without bobbling it . . . . 

I am really pulling for Jasmine and Aaron to win it all, if for no other reason than to get the judges thinking about choosing more of the mature dancers for the show over the little cuties who dance so young.  Maybe if they see that the audience appreciates those mature dancers (and I have to laugh because they are both still in their early 20s, so it's not like they're ancient, but compared to the young teens, they are mature), they'll keep more of them for the top 20.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:39 am

I'm not sure Paul was voted off at all.  I don't think the producer (Nigel) is above skewing the votes to get the outcome he wants.  Why not just send the dancer with the least votes home - period?  Certainly, the judges could allow themselves one OPEN "save" each season.

When you watch them announce the bottom three, what's the point?  Nigel acts like they haven't made up their minds.  Dance for their lives?  Two could levitate and it wouldn't help them.  I find myself wondering how often the TOP vote-getter (out of the bottom three) goes home - just to satisfy Nigel's desires.

His push for street dancers is obvious.  And these last two seasons, his blatant favoritism and over-the-top praise for his chosen one (Melanie and Amy) has become extremely irritating to my sense of justice and fair play.  Far into the season, Fik-shun was at the bottom (last week?).  Now, he's a top two guy???

As you know (because I've said it so many times *chuckle*), hip hop is NOT my cup of tea - especially when I have to mute the rap, which is SO offensive to my idea of music.  At least I'm amused by their silent gyrations.

But the voting process has become suspect in my mind.  If it's "America's Favorite Dancer," why not let America decide?  Why do the judges have to "approve" or "change" America's decision?

Critique of Nigel done.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 am

The ladies held their own last night.  Any negative critique is mostly on the choreo and costuming.

Amy's jazz costume at the beginning was so sleek it afforded a view of her every movement, every line.  She looked great.  But what the h*ll was up with that vest they shrouded Aaron with???  He looked like he was dancing in a sack!  They successfully HID his upper body form and movement.  I don't know HOW he did in this number.  While Amy's movement was trumpeted, his was muted.

Jasmine had it all in this contemp routine with Fik-shun.  Grace, flow -- and those legs!  It was surprising to see the boy's strength in those lifts. 

Aaron's tap choreo was interesting.  I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.  However, the choreo (or camera) seemed to focus on Melinda - and her costuming was god-awful.

Jasmine's hip-hop was kick-*ss great!  She's amazing!  Did ya notice how much of the praise went to Comfort??

Fik-shun fell short on the tango,  Surprising that this little guy could handle her weight, but the dance left much room for improvement.

I was annoyed that Dmitri had Jasmine up on that platform so much.  I could see her nerves and fear of a misstep over the edge.  It ruined the dance.  Nigel and the others found their chink to dig at.  It wasn't a very good samba for either Jas or Aaron.

My first reaction to Amy & Robert's dance was What the h*ll is he wearing?   That shirt belonged on a girl!  But it was a great dance.

For me, Fik-shun should have gone before Paul.  His dances last night were not impressive.  He looked like a tiny little kid next to both Aaron and Twitch.  The imbalance threw off both the B'way & HH routines.

If anyone has paid attention to the actual dancing, Aaron has to take it for the guys.

Anyway....while I caught up on Rizzoli & Isles and Suits, I kept hitting redial and voted for Jasmine for an hour and a half.  Hope it helps.  LOL

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey Singly - I pretty much agree with everything you said, although I think I liked the Aaron/Amy piece better than you did.  But I agree that it would have been better to have Aaron shirtless or at least with a smaller vest.  I loved his tap duet with Melinda as well as his solo.  His Broadway piece with Fik-shun was one of my favorites of the night (along with Jasmine and Comfort's hip hop), but I agree he looked like a kid next to Aaron.  Also enjoyed him with Twitch (again, he looked like a mini-me), but wish they had not had him behind Twitch so much.  Several times he just completely disappeared.  Usually love Mark, but was not crazy about is choreo for Jasmine and Amy, although it might have been that I disliked the costuming so much that it distracted me from the choreo.  Overall, I thought it was a great night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Looking forward to the finale next week.  And I'm really pulling for an Aaron/Jasmine win.  Not just because I think they're the best dancers left and both have personality to spare, but also because it would just be sweet if the two the judges didn't think worthy of the Top 20 took it all. 

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Well, great show tonight right up until the end.  Then it all fell apart.    I can almost live with Fik-shun winning, although not really.  He's adorable, but he's not a great dancer outside of his own genre.  But I can't get behind a win for Amy, and it amazes me that she pulled the most votes of anyone.  Girl can't even do her own solos without screwing them up, and she's flubbed more times in routines than anyone that I can remember in the history of the show.  Not to mention she's just so completely forgettable for me.  Oh well.  Somuch for my forlorn hope that we might get an Aaron/Jasmine win, and the judges would think more about getting more "mature" dancers.  Instead we're more likely to be doomed to the cutesy ones forever.  Rats.  And I was really enjoying this season.  Oh well.  there's always next season!

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 am

Perhaps we've been watching the fantasy Alice in Wonderland.  Nigel is the Mad Hatter, Mary as the Red Queen.  And Amy as the Cheshire Cat - pumping smoke and that smile.

I've questioned "wins" before - but never like this one.  I can't believe America could get it so wrong.  Seriously.  I can't believe it.  I don't think Nigel ever gave over the reins about who would win this thing.  Fik-shun will NEVER be another Twitch.  He's FAR too limited - and I won't believe viewers put him at the top.

As for Amy, Nigel has a type - and it's small brunettes.  He does promos for them all season.  Do I buy that he convinced viewers she was the choice?  Possibly.  Some are easily led - convinced by the expert.  Still.... I can't believe America got it so wrong, but that's just MY opinion.  In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean much.

I'm tired of seeing these reality show push the bounds of what I'm willing to buy into.  I'm officially bored with what I see as another rigged show.  Don't think I'll be back for next season.

But wasn't the dance number by Mary and Nigel cute?  She looks like she really got into shape.  And I could watch an entire show with Kathryn showcased.  Now, SHE'S a dancer!!

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum