DWTS General Chit Chat

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DWTS General Chit Chat - Page 12 Empty Re: DWTS General Chit Chat

Post by beardiedawg Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:22 pm

To me, Sadie is proof that I can really root for someone regardless of their back story.  I'm definitely not a fan of Duck Dynasty buy like Bindi, she was someone who tied her hardest and really enjoyed the challenge and learning something new.
beardiedawg
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Psychee22 wrote:

Oh, yes.  You're right.  The spell was put on the young'uns AFTER Shawn won the MBT.  So Derek's challenge is to break that spell.   Very Happy

But how did the spell get cast?

I don't know. But thinking about your question, I suddenly had this weird vision of Cloris Leachman and Tommy Chong, dancing around a fire in the desert...
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by MPchimesin Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:
beardiedawg wrote:I always think they put someone with dance potential or fan popularity with Derek all the time.  I don't think he ever had a partner that was in the Paula category.  Call me cynical but I think of the show as pushing certain pros to win with maybe a surprise if a celebrity does better than expected.  Do we think Keo is ever going to get partnered with someone who isn't voted out early?
I agree with you and I'm not usually a cynical person.  There is something odd about Bindi's popularity on the show.  Do they think the audience can't decide for themselves who should win?

I have to agree with both of you Derek seems to get the young or popular contestant rather than an older or less popular one.  Even my husband who doesn't watch the show but catches it once in awhile when I'm watching made the same comment. So I wonder is it Derek's popularity or Bindi's that make them front runners.....or is it designed that way?
MPchimesin
MPchimesin
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:38 pm

beardiedawg wrote:To me, Sadie is proof that I can really root for someone regardless of their back story.  I'm definitely not a fan of Duck Dynasty buy like Bindi, she was someone who tied her hardest and really enjoyed the challenge and learning something new.

The back story is unimportant to me when I'm casting votes. Or at least I think it is.  No accounting for what goes on subconsciously, but most of the time, I haven't got a clue who the "stars" are when the cast is first presented. 

I am more highly affected by how happy the stars are.  The happier they are, the more positive I am about them, I think, and then it is just a matter of how well they dance.  This season we have a lot of happy campers.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:51 pm

MPchimesin wrote:
Glittersisgld wrote:
beardiedawg wrote:I always think they put someone with dance potential or fan popularity with Derek all the time.  I don't think he ever had a partner that was in the Paula category.  Call me cynical but I think of the show as pushing certain pros to win with maybe a surprise if a celebrity does better than expected.  Do we think Keo is ever going to get partnered with someone who isn't voted out early?
I agree with you and I'm not usually a cynical person.  There is something odd about Bindi's popularity on the show.  Do they think the audience can't decide for themselves who should win?

I have to agree with both of you Derek seems to get the young or popular contestant rather than an older or less popular one.  Even my husband who doesn't watch the show but catches it once in awhile when I'm watching made the same comment. So I wonder is it Derek's popularity or Bindi's that make them front runners.....or is it designed that way?
Who's to say?  I don't want to get started on any conspiracy theories about Derek.  People don't want to hear that.  I like Derek and I like him on the show, but he is a golden boy and now Bindi seems to be the golden girl.  I thought Derek was leaving the show, but not that I want him to.  I think he is a bit cursed because of his popularity.  I don't think Bindi is a ringer but it's almost as if the show decides who they want to win from the beginning.  Bindi does seem to have the most popularity without trying that much.  I could say more but I'll quit here. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:52 pm

I loved Sadie on the show.  She really had that something special. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:I loved Sadie on the show.  She really had that something special. 
The dimple domination.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:17 pm

MPchimesin wrote:
....Derek seems to get the young or popular contestant rather than an older or less popular one.  Even my husband who doesn't watch the show but catches it once in awhile when I'm watching made the same comment. So I wonder is it Derek's popularity or Bindi's that make them front runners.....or is it designed that way?

You might want to take a gander at the list of partners that Val has been given and then make a comparison to the ones that Derek has received.   I don't believe that Val has ever gotten an overweight person (Derek has had two, one of which he won with) -- or a handicapped person ( Derek got one with no legs)-- or a person over 50 (Derek won with one).

Derek does have the ability to find some special aspect of his partner's personality and use it to enhance his partner's profile, and MAKE them more popular, though, which is something that Val is only now learning.

As a case in point, Derek was paired with huge-in-comparison and diva-ish-in-attitude NeNe Leakes for one week in a switch-up week in season 18.  This was the result of a somewhat mean-spirited desire on the part of anti-Derek Twitter fans to see Derek paired with someone impossible to work with.  But Derek took the challenge in stride and designed a dance that would cater to her larger-than-life self image.  Her scores improved and for that week, she almost seemed agreeable.  Of course she totally blew the agreeable bit the following week when she went back to Tony.

So I think folks need to give Derek credit for helping to shape public opinion of the star he is given.  When this season started, Bindi was only rated like 8th in popularity, but even before it stated, he was advertising how incredibly positive she was about life and how he was looking forward to this season.  It's what he does, and it is all part of winning the MBT. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Are you saying Derek is the best at PR?  Is that his secret?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Derek did manage to get his partner (was it Alexa?) to dance better during switch up week.  I suppose looking at it that way, Derek's ability as a choreographer and teacher seems to mesh well with any of the stars thrown at him.
beardiedawg
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:01 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Are you saying Derek is the best at PR?  Is that his secret?

Yes, Glitter, I believe he is.  The others are learning, though.  Val did an inordinate amount of PR for Rumer last season and he worked the packages very well.  He and Rumer were on MANY talk shows.  He got them "trending".  And it paid off in a win.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:15 pm

Lesallee wrote:You are right glitters. This is a TV show, presented for entertainment. As with any TV show people see things in various ways from their own perspective. Anything or anyone on the show is fair game for discussion whether praise or dissent; this includes talent or lack thereof, hair (Mark!!), personality, costuming, music, hosting, really every little thing will be talked about favourably or not so favourably. Don't like a certain pro or celeb? Your prerogative. We have discussion boards so we can discuss things and shouldn't expect others to switch their opinions to ours just because we say so. You never do that, glitters, you stick to your guns and I admire you for that.

Hey sis, I just ordered some rose colored glasses, I sure hope they get here in time for Mondays show.....I don't know if they will help me see things differently or just make me want to look for some of those   special brownies that sister babs makes that Tommy raves about Dizzy  Giggle

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:24 pm

kincaid53 wrote:

Hey sis, I just ordered some rose colored glasses, I sure hope they get here in time for Mondays show.....I don't know if they will help me see things differently or just make me want to look for some of those   special brownies that sister babs makes that Tommy raves about Dizzy  Giggle
I vote for special brownies! Mellow is good when watching this frustrating show.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:27 pm

A fresh batch will be delivered to you both on Monday.  Remember to share some with
your guests. Sharing  Bon Appetit!
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:30 pm

beardiedawg wrote:Derek did manage to get his partner (was it Alexa?) to dance better during switch up week.  I suppose looking at it that way, Derek's ability as a choreographer and teacher seems to mesh well with any of the stars thrown at him.
Though didn't you find that some of the others did better with different pros too?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:47 pm

Babs2147 wrote:A fresh batch will be delivered to you both on Monday.  Remember to share some with
Our generous sister to the rescue, kin! Thanks Babs. When kin and I get our rose coloured glasses on and sample a few "Babs' Special Brownies" we will undergo a complete metamorphisos and everyone will be amazed. (Maybe!!!!) 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by tinytiny Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Psychee22 wrote:

You might want to take a gander at the list of partners that Val has been given and then make a comparison to the ones that Derek has received.   I don't believe that Val has ever gotten an overweight person (Derek has had two, one of which he won with) -- or a handicapped person ( Derek got one with no legs)-- or a person over 50 (Derek won with one).

I think Derek is a fantastic teacher and choreographer, but I can see why people think he has been given more than his share of wonderful partners.  Amber might have been a little heavy, but she also has fabulous musicality and was used to doing choreography.  Amy has no legs, but she is a world class athlete with great core strength, and blades she could switch out for different dances, which helped her.  And Jennifer Grey was an exquisite dancer from the beginning.  She never started at square one like a lot of other people did.  She understood how to dance.  Were they a challenge for Derek?  Sure, but I don't think they were as big a challenge as some of the partners that other pros have been given.  This is just my opinion, because I like Derek, but I certainly understand where some people are coming from with the same complaints that we hear every hear.

tinytiny

Back to top Go down

Post by beardiedawg Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:
beardiedawg wrote:Derek did manage to get his partner (was it Alexa?) to dance better during switch up week.  I suppose looking at it that way, Derek's ability as a choreographer and teacher seems to mesh well with any of the stars thrown at him.
Though didn't you find that some of the others did better with different pros too?
Yes, I thought Alec did better when he switched, even if the judges didn't think so.  I also felt like Paula wasn't babied and made to do some actual dancing.
beardiedawg
beardiedawg

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:13 am

Lesallee wrote:
Babs2147 wrote:A fresh batch will be delivered to you both on Monday.  Remember to share some with
Our generous sister to the rescue, kin! Thanks Babs. When kin and I get our rose coloured glasses on and sample a few "Babs' Special Brownies" we will undergo a complete metamorphisos and everyone will be amazed. (Maybe!!!!) 

Yes indeedy..very generous and being triplets we learned to share early on and she always made sure....we shared not only with each other but our friends too!....Of course no one had to tell us to share with our big brother..he was our hero, our protector, we willingly wanted to share our candy with him even giving him the bigger pieces Very Happy
      Now lesallee, let's talk about those rose coloured glasses.....they are pink tinted plastic....not magical!!  LoL!  but those brownies well that's another story.........'they'll call me mellow yellow' (quite rightly)!! 

Last edited by kincaid53 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:31 am

Glittersisgld wrote:Are you saying Derek is the best at PR?  Is that his secret?

I'm not sure about the pro 'making' people popular or doing pr for their celeb. Does that mean Derek didn't like Nastia so he didn't 'make' her popular? Even he was frustrated with the way dwts portrayed Nastia. The pros certainly want to take them on the best journey, and give them the best choreography they possibly can while they are on the show, I think.   Then the dwts pr machine takes over with  what they want you to see from their rehearsal footage.   There are days that Tamar might be smiling all day long and then there might be days Bindi gets frustrated and is not happy,   or times when Carlos and Alexa are talking about other things than each other.....but dwts gets to decide what we see a lot  more of or a lot less of.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:03 am

I'm not sure anyone could make Nastia popular.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:12 am

Glittersisgld wrote:I'm not sure anyone could make Nastia popular.

Well, we can't really know how much better the public would have thought of her if Derek had been able to give the problem all his usual time and energy.  He usually does the whole talk show circuit with his celebs, but he wasn't able to do that for her.  He was stretched very thin last season and then there was the whole catastrophe with the broken toe and foot.

But that said, Nastia-- with her seeming cold personality and history of being a mean girl to America's sweetheart --  was an example of a season when Derek was not given the celebrity with the best potential to win.  And the same was true the season before that with Amy. 

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:25 am

kincaid53 wrote:

I'm not sure about the pro 'making' people popular or doing pr for their celeb. Does that mean Derek didn't like Nastia so he didn't 'make' her popular? Even he was frustrated with the way dwts portrayed Nastia. The pros certainly want to take them on the best journey, and give them the best choreography they possibly can while they are on the show, I think.   Then the dwts pr machine takes over with  what they want you to see from their rehearsal footage.   There are days that Tamar might be smiling all day long and then there might be days Bindi gets frustrated and is not happy,   or times when Carlos and Alexa are talking about other things than each other.....but dwts gets to decide what we see a lot  more of or a lot less of.

RE: Nastia, see my comments above.  But I would agree that the DWTS machine has their own special influence on how the stars are portrayed, and that it isn't all the work of the pros.  But even then, Tony has commented that nothing bad can be portrayed in the packages if the pro and celeb hide all the bad stuff from them.  Alfonso revealed that when he and Witney were pissed with each other, they would go off to separate corners and argue with each other through texts on their phones.  So the pros can manipulate what the cameras see if their celebs are savvy enough to go along with them.  I think the best thing that the pros can do, though, is to create something interesting for the packages -- like that dirty-dancing water scene.  The folks on SCD seem to take field trips like that a lot. If the producers are given stuff like that, they are less likely, I think, to look for a petty drama moment from rehearsal to magnify out of proportion.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:39 am

tinytiny wrote:
Psychee22 wrote:

I think Derek is a fantastic teacher and choreographer, but I can see why people think he has been given more than his share of wonderful partners.  Amber might have been a little heavy, but she also has fabulous musicality and was used to doing choreography.  Amy has no legs, but she is a world class athlete with great core strength, and blades she could switch out for different dances, which helped her.  And Jennifer Grey was an exquisite dancer from the beginning.  She never started at square one like a lot of other people did.  She understood how to dance.  Were they a challenge for Derek?  Sure, but I don't think they were as big a challenge as some of the partners that other pros have been given.  This is just my opinion, because I like Derek, but I certainly understand where some people are coming from with the same complaints that we hear every hear.

I would of course agree with you that Derek has not been given the same proportion of low potential women that Tony and any of the new guys have been given.  But I would argue that the same could be said about Valentin and Mark.  Val, especially.  He's been given the cream of the crop for the last six seasons, at least.   Tamar, Rumer, Zendaya, Janel, Elizabeth Berkely, Kelly Monaco...  every one of them could dance beautifully in week 1.   But no one says "Hey, look how Val always gets good partners!  He is being favored!"

Why is that?
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by MPchimesin Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:47 am

Psychee22 wrote:
MPchimesin wrote:
....Derek seems to get the young or popular contestant rather than an older or less popular one.  Even my husband who doesn't watch the show but catches it once in awhile when I'm watching made the same comment. So I wonder is it Derek's popularity or Bindi's that make them front runners.....or is it designed that way?

Derek does have the ability to find some special aspect of his partner's personality and use it to enhance his partner's profile, and MAKE them more popular, though, which is something that Val is only now learning.

As a case in point, Derek was paired with huge-in-comparison and diva-ish-in-attitude NeNe Leakes for one week in a switch-up week in season 18.  This was the result of a somewhat mean-spirited desire on the part of anti-Derek Twitter fans to see Derek paired with someone impossible to work with.  But Derek took the challenge in stride and designed a dance that would cater to her larger-than-life self image.  Her scores improved and for that week, she almost seemed agreeable.  Of course she totally blew the agreeable bit the following week when she went back to Tony.

So I think folks need to give Derek credit for helping to shape public opinion of the star he is given.  When this season started, Bindi was only rated like 8th in popularity, but even before it stated, he was advertising how incredibly positive she was about life and how he was looking forward to this season.  It's what he does, and it is all part of winning the MBT. 
I have taken a gander at the list others have danced with and Val yes has had partner or two he had a hard time (not mentioning names) working with as has Derek, Tony, Mark & Louie.  Derek has been dancing fifteen seasons with 5 wins so of course credit is due.  But that doesn't mean I am not entitled to my opinion of him or his partners.

And I would like to add that I am not saying I don't like Derek I do, and Bindi as well, I'm saying how I feel.
MPchimesin
MPchimesin
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top