Hmm.. now producers are okay with revealing they "coax stories out of the show and its stars?"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hmm.. now producers are okay with revealing they "coax stories out of the show and its stars?" Empty Hmm.. now producers are okay with revealing they "coax stories out of the show and its stars?"

Post by Grammarianna Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:54 pm

I watched my first episode of "After Paradise" this week.  They had actor Jason Biggs (who is apparently a big fan of this franchise and a good friend of Elan Gale, one of its producers), Jason's wife, and actor/director James Gunn (from Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.)  
Here is what James Gunn subsequently wrote on his Facebook page. 

Interesting that now producers are openly admitting to "coax(ing) stories out of the show and its stars."  

Also interesting that he chose the word "unreal" when he said that what happens on this franchise is more real than unreal.

Finally, it would appear that Joe, too, has received death threats from crazies out there.  I wonder if the show is willing to admit its responsibility for that.  So much for Chris Harrison coming out strongly against Kaitlyn's online threats.  What about Joe?  (Not saying he isn't an absolute pig; I just don't think he should be receiving death threats.)

Your thoughts?

James Gunn 

Yesterday at 10:01am · 

So last night I went on the TV show ‪#‎AfterParadise‬ where we discussed the TV show Bachelor in Paradise. It was fascinating for a number of reasons.

As you might imagine, this is not a world I'm regularly a part of. I don't even tweet about watching The Bachelor because I'm embarrassed about even watching it. But one of my best friends, Elan Gale, is a producer on the show, and I started watching it avidly when we became friends. I find it mesmerizing, and even more so when I watch it with Elan and he's giving his behind-the-scenes commentary. Knowing everything I know now about the show, I'm more surprised by how real it is than how unreal. Of course the producers coax stories out of the show and its stars, but the stars of the show are truly going through all of the heavy duty emotions they seem to be going through on the show (although as often as not I believe their interests are more about "finding fame" than "finding love.")

So watching the shows and then meeting JJ Lane and Juelia Kinney (yes, that's the spelling of her name) was fun. Both of these folks are sweet and interesting. JJ really IS the sort who says whatever's on his mind, although it comes off much more endearing in person, and Juelia really is the sweet, innocent girl she comes off on TV. JJ pleaded with me and Jason Biggs during a commercial break to be kind to Juelia in her upcoming segment because she was a sensitive person. I found the fact that he even asked to be really nice. Yeah, they're reality stars. Yes, we love to watch them fight and scream and cry on TV - but they're real people who get to love and care about each other on these surreal journeys.

Both seemed a little side-swiped by the incredible amount of hate that has come to them on the internet since they've been on the show, something I got to witness first hand last night on Twitter when the show aired. One of the "villains" on the show, Samantha Steffen, tweeted thanks to me because I defended her a bit on the show, and I was tagged in a thousand incredibly cruel tweets to the woman. It was just another example of the vast reserves of anger people have, just waiting to hurl at some anonymous person they don't know.

Last night I went off a bit on one of the other villains on the show, Joe Bailey, who seemed to fake romantic intentions towards a widowed mother to "get a rose". I rooted against him on the show like millions of others, but, in fairness, he was also the most interesting part, and the only reason we knew he was being Machiavellian is because he was honest about it to the camera and to producers. I said some mean things about him on the show last night, mostly to be funny (and because, yeah, I honestly believe it's wrong to pretend you have romantic intentions when you don't, whether it's to a widowed mother or someone else). But when one of the producers told me afterwards that he's had death threats and his tires slashed and has found a dead possum in his mailbox since the show ended - not to mention the thousands of cruel messages he gets on social media - I felt guilty. I mean, I don't know this guy. Do I really need to be one of a million people shaming this dude in public? Probably not. I don't think what he did on the show was very nice, but he's not Pol Pot (and not just because Pol Pot was probably a better kisser... I kid!) Whatever the case, please don't kill Joe, weird fans.

I mostly loved doing After Paradise because I got to do it with Jenny Mollen Biggs and Jason Biggs, two people I adore and have been friends with a long time. They're two of the funniest people I know, and I wish I could see more of them, even though I almost unfollowed Jason on Instagram last week for posting a photo of his poo. I usually have an instant-unfollow rule when someone posts poo or dead animals, so you know I really love him.

As for the host, Chris Harrison, he is as funny and sarcastic as it seems he might be on the show. I'm proud to say he gave me props for both my way-out-of-the-demorgaphic reference comparing Joe to Ned Beatty in the original Superman, as well as perhaps the first person ever to talk about "hand love" on TV (I had asked the producers numerous times if I could use the word "handy" and I never got a direct answer. Ergh).

Finally, I loved doing it because I got to interact with a lot of people I don't normally get to interact with on social media, which is fun, and although I got numerous messages that basically said, "I'm so disappointed that you like the Bachelor", I received many more that said, "Thanks for coming out with your Bachelor-love, it makes me a little less embarrassed about liking those shows myself." And anything that makes people feel better about themselves is good by me.

Have a great Tuesday, folks. I've got a huge day at Marvel ahead of me working on Guardians Vol. 2, which I should really be doing now, but this post got its grips in me. Bye!
Grammarianna
Grammarianna

Back to top Go down

Hmm.. now producers are okay with revealing they "coax stories out of the show and its stars?" Empty Re: Hmm.. now producers are okay with revealing they "coax stories out of the show and its stars?"

Post by rkc1960 Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:01 pm

I didn't know the blogger chick that is CH's sidekick on After Paradise is Jason Bigg's wife....interesting.

Yeah, it IS pretty interesting that as much as CH and his ilk will not admit that the stories are coaxed, this dude is saying that his friend, Elan Gale admitted it to him. I wonder if he was supposed to say that?

It doesn't surprise me that Joe is getting death threats because he has done much, much worse that Kaitlyn ever did and she was receiving them. With that being said, I don't think it is ever right to threaten someone with death. What is the matter with these uber fans that they just go completely off the deep end to do something that stupid?

Last edited by rkc1960 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Hmm.. now producers are okay with revealing they "coax stories out of the show and its stars?" Empty Re: Hmm.. now producers are okay with revealing they "coax stories out of the show and its stars?"

Post by OhPlease12 Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:01 pm

I don't think he should receive death threats, but I can certainly understand the temptation!
OhPlease12
OhPlease12

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:11 pm

I think it isn't that difficult to receive death threats on social media.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:12 pm

It's interesting that James Gunn would say he is embarrassed to say he watches the show, because when he was on After Paradise, both he and Jason were raving about the show.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Coaxing stories out of the stars sounds kind of vague.  You mean real stories or made up stories?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Grammarianna Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:34 pm

I think this franchise is trying to distinguish itself from the completely manipulated situations we see happening on Everlasting (the show that's supposed to be The Bachelor).

I think they realize they can't pretend any longer that everything is spontaneous and organic.  Reality Steve, former contestants who've spoken out, and now the show UnREAL, have let the cat completely out of the bag.

It's laughable, though, that they're still purporting to say that the emotions are real.  Sure, they're real in the moment, but they only exist because the contestants have been "produced" and manipulated into having those contrived emotions.
Grammarianna
Grammarianna

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:49 pm

I don't compare this show to any other show, but then I don't watch those other shows.  I don't think ABC worries about the comparisons as long as the show is a success.  I don't understand people who are so hard on themselves for liking the show.  It's just a TV show.  It's one of the few newer shows I watch besides DWTS if you consider them new shows, meaning we aren't watching reruns.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:52 pm

I think to a point the show is spontaneous and organic even though there are cameras there.  It's somewhere in between reality and scripted.  Imagine if we were in front of the camera.  How many of us would act ourselves and how many of us wouldn't?  How many of us would react to what is going on around us and let it affect us?  You might not be able to say unless you were in the situation.  It can't be true reality partly because it would be boring.  They have to edit and spice up the show.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:56 am

Remember in the Godfather when the guy got the fish wrapped in newspaper and it meant he'd be "sleeping with the fishes?"  I guess the dead possum is the Kentucky version.  Love it!

Seriously, I don't know what kind of mind set allows people to strike at others like judge, jury and executioner.  Death threats?  Over a stupid tv show?  Slashed tires?  Granted, I can't stand the guy and view him as somewhat (if not entirely) a sociopath.  And I can't say he's any better a human than those striking back.  But, please.... they need to get a real life.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:39 am

Glittersisgld wrote:I think it isn't that difficult to receive death threats on social media.

No, it is not!!  Proving that the fruits and nuts are out there!!  How many teenagers have tried to harm themselves (and some succeeded) over things they have received over social media?

I know I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, but we have lost the concept of what should be acceptable on social media, in conversation, and in life.  I had a child who was bullied in middle school because he needed medication during the day and had to go to the nurse's office to get it.  It was not "pretty" at all, and this was a while back.  It has only gotten worse since then.  JMHOFWIW.

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:46 am

The media has taken free speech and run it to extremes.  People have a "right" to send hate tweets but those tweets speak more to their own character.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:01 am

Newto, I'm sorry to hear that your son was bullied in middle school. Kid's are just as bad as adults, but then again I'm sure a lot of times it is the parents character that forms how their kids act.

Which goes back to what Singly said. People that get so upset and call names and threaten others in any way show what they truly are deep down inside. And people that do it on social media to people that they don't even know are just downright cowards. I doubt many of them when faced with these same people in real life would say the same things. People get awfully brave when they are sitting in the safety of their homes behind their computer screens. 
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Feces.Hurling.Monkey Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Grammarianna wrote:

James Gunn 

Yesterday at 10:01am · 

As you might imagine, this is not a world I'm regularly a part of. I don't even tweet about watching The Bachelor because I'm embarrassed about even watching it. 

BBUWUWHAHAHHAh; same as me - I can't admit to any of my guy friends I watch.  

Funny story; one Monday night I called one of my buddies to ask if I could come over at watch the Major League Baseball's Home Run Derby and he replied back, 'sorry I think we have something going on...' which I thought was weird, 'cuz; he would usually specifically say what's going on......so a week or so later, I was at his house and talking with his wife in the kitchen, while buddy was grilling and I picked up her US, or People Mag - that had the Bachelor on the cover, and I made a comment.  Wife replied, 'That's one of our favorite shows - did you watch it last Mon?'......Ah ha, I busted him and made him confess that he watches the show.   He got me back, saying his wife has it on so he has to watch, but what was my excuse, since I'm single?#??
Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:24 pm

He doesn't have another TV?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by h28koala Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:32 pm

This is in an interested article!  Thanks Grammarianna!  I now want to watch Un Real to see what it is all about.  I think coaxing stories out of the contestants could also be how they always find and play up the sad stories.  I mean every single first date (almost) has the sad story come out.  I'm sure this is the coaxing as it is not natural in any sort of regular dating interaction.  I sure wouldn't respond that romantically on a first date to hearing all of the person's tragedies. 

As for Joe -death threats are completely inexcusable.  I had hoped that he would see the show and reflect on his actions and hopefully have friends and family call him out on his behavior but I have never thought of reaching out to comment to him directly.  Hopefully facing his terrible behavior is punishment enough.  I don't understand why people would feel the need to threaten him.

h28koala

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinartwo Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:00 am

Joe certainly doesn't deserve death threats even though he comes off as an obnoxious, entitled, low class idiot. When someone is exposing himself on t.v. the way that he has, he should expect all of the crazy people out there to attack him verbally. Unfortunately there are too many crazy people which is why he should have been more careful about what he said on t.v.

Zinartwo

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDS10 Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:17 am

Death threats for a person on a reality tv show?! Some people really need to get a life...
DoubleDS10
DoubleDS10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharonbee Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:14 pm

What are they considering as "death threats"? We keep hearing about death threats - Kaitlyn said she got some too - but I haven't seen any tweets that said they were going to kill anyone. 

I've seen stuff like "I wish you would drop dead" or "You should go kill yourself." But I don't consider those actual death threats. Stupid, childish and inexecusable but not death threats. 

I can maybe believe there are some anonymous death threats but I haven't seen any personally.
Sharonbee
Sharonbee

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Wouldn't they take the death threats off Twitter?  Maybe they got them through another source besides Twitter.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top