Olympics

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olympics Empty Olympics

Post by Lesallee Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Especially for blue. And so FHM doesn't have to throat punch us.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Olympics Empty Re: Olympics

Post by peebeeb Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Lots of awesome performances all around. I am enjoying the skating, all the different skiings, luge, bobsled, skeleton and a bunch more.
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 am

Our Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir just set a world record score for their short dance in ID. Soon as I can get the video I will post it.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 am

Yes just when I didn't think it would get any better than after the pairs and mens singles,it did.The dance couples were the most competitive I think I've ever seen.There is a lot of very good pairs in fourth place thru 1Oth.I got my fingers crossed for Virtue and Moir tonight,I think it's going to be a nail biter between Virtue and Papadakis.I kind of like Hubbell/Donahue as a wild card.I don't know if you are aware that all three teams that are 1,2,3 placing, are all coached by the same people in Montreal.The team of Hubbell/Donahue have made a significant improvement in their quest to be competitive with the top teams in the world.So it must be the coaching. I think the Canadian mens curling team just lost to the US.Lesallee thanks for starting this board topic.

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:07 am

Tessa's and Scott's record setting short dance. Wouldn't it be sweet to see these two on DWTS? And they are retiring from competitive skating after this ....... so, maybe a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zljDdO7V2fE
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am

Yeah, blue, Kevin and the boys dropped a third game!!!! Colour me surprised. It went an extra end but hmm, they better get back on track. And our Canadian women's team have been less than stellar, although they seem to be settling down some. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 am

bluechipdude wrote:Yes just when I didn't think it would get any better than after the pairs and mens singles,it did.The dance couples were the most competitive I think I've ever seen.There is a lot of very good pairs in fourth place thru 1Oth.I got my fingers crossed for Virtue and Moir tonight,I think it's going to be a nail biter between Virtue and Papadakis.I kind of like Hubbell/Donahue as a wild card.I don't know if you are aware that all three teams that are 1,2,3 placing, are all coached by the same people in Montreal.The team of Hubbell/Donahue have made a significant improvement in their quest to be competitive with the top teams in the world.So it must be the coaching. I think the Canadian mens curling team just lost to the US.Lesallee thanks for starting  this  board topic.
Those coaches are Marie France Dubreuil and her husband Patrice Lauzon. Pretty darn good ice dancers winning several Canadian championships. I loved them. When they first came on the scene Marie France could barely speak English but she learned fast. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 pm

That performance by Virtue and Moir was stunning, gave me goosebumps. I was hoping they'd get the gold.
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:39 pm

I'll get that gold medal dance posted as soon as I can. I have seen that dance several times in various competitions over the past year but it thrills me every time.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:56 am

Tessa and Scott competing in 1998. Couldn't resist putting this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clEs1FVPSho
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:05 am

Congrats to Tessa and Scott on their well deserved gold medal!
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by skt8word Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Congratulations to Tessa and Scott!

I wasn't that into the ice dancing until the French team skated.  It helped that I liked the music, Moonlight Sonata, as I used to play it on the piano.  But after them came Tessa and Scott, and I liked their program too.  

I also like watching the Shibutanis.  I don't like that name they keep calling them, the Shib Sibs.  I'm glad they got a medal.

Also a late congratulations to Nathan Chen for the highest score in the free skate and Mirai Nagasu for being the first American woman to land a triple axel in the Olympics.  It will be interesting to see what she does this week.

Love
skt8word
skt8word
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 am

Congrats to Virtue and Moir on winning gold in the most competitive Olympic Ice Dancing event ever.You couldn't slice baloney as close as the margin between first and second.Yes I'd love to see them on DWTS but I don't think the program would pay them what they'd want.Also it could tie them up for 3 months of training and dancing.They might bite on it tho. They were interviewed last night on NBC and asked if they could go one more Olympic game and they emphatically didn't say they wouldn't, but would need some time to sort things out.Of course they were asked if they were a couple since they've been so close to each other for about 20 years.The just hee hawed around that one.I know I would love to see them for one more Olympics.They would be a huge draw.

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Indeed  I'll be cheering them on!
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:59 am

Lesallee tonight is the long program ladies singles,and to me it looks like nobody can compete with Meg and Zag,the Russian gals.Of course favorites can fall and s...t can happen. If Osmond can skate a clean round and do some very difficult jumps she might be able to catch a silver, but I hope she can at least grab a bronze. That film of Tessa and Scott ice dancing in 1998 was cute and adorable.

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:13 am

My condolences Lesallee on your beloved womens hockey team loss to the US,that ended at 1:20 am central time in a shootout.That game was nerve racking that even had to hit the bourbon bottle for a shot.Something I haven't done for a longtime.Hey it was a goal tenders game.Both were sensational.Canada look tired to me in the overtime and couldn't score when they had a powerplay advantage 4-3.Both teams had lots of chances to score in regulation time, but both goalies were superb. Hey there's nothing wrong with a silver medal.

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am

Oh yes, in Canada, a silver medal in hockey is not a thing of pride! 

Not a totally great day for Canada yesterday, the women's hockey team loss, Kevin Koe and the guys lost to the U.S. in the curling semi-final. Guess we shall see how the Canadian men's hockey team fares. 

I am not really anticipating any colour medal for our ladies in skating but would be very pleased if it happens. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:29 am

Scott Moir - very invested at the hockey game last night. So Canadian, toque, beer and hockey!

https://mobile.twitter.com/jblackjustin/status/966533162133278720/photo/1
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by skt8word Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:23 am

Wow, Zagitova was incredible tonight, as well as throughout all her programs.  She's so consistent.  As well as Medvedeva.

What a showdown!   Applause  So close but I think the judges got it right.
skt8word
skt8word
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:42 am

Lesallee, the ladies long program lived up to all the expected hype about the two Russian gals, but to me the surprise was Osmond.Known as the queen of the short program and inconsistent in the long proved all wrong last night as she skated the best in her life and finished with bronze. A better short program and a couple more completed jumps she might have overtaken Med for a silver.At least now she should have confidence to try a tougher program.Zag was sensational and deserved the win.The trouble for the other skating nations is that the Russians are loaded with talent in the pipeline,seniors and juniors.Meg and Zag are still very young. Anyway you guys should be very proud of Katelyn Osmond,yes I know it was just a bronze but won against some very tough competition. I'm a figure skating junkie and starting to get depressed that it's all over and the rest of the Olympics are about done.Do you know if figure skating is going to do an encore with all the various winning contestents?

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:31 am

I am thrilled for Kaetlyn, blue. She has overcome so many obstacles and persevered. She has been with her coach, Ravi Walia almost from the start and I can imagine how happy he is. 

I know there is a gala coming up. Have to check just when it will be. Tessa and Scott are planning a tribute to Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip. 

Last edited by Lesallee on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by skt8word Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:36 am

Gala is tomorrow/Saturday on NBCSNHD (1:00 p.m. PST) tomorrow with repeats on NBC tomorrow evening (5:00 and 8:00?)  and Sunday in the wee hours of the morning.
skt8word
skt8word
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bluechipdude Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:08 am

Ok you call it a gala and I call it an encore.So great, Saturday early evening here. I watched a good part of the Germany-Canada game this morning and fell asleep in the third period when I felt there was no way they could win. They seem to suffer old school style type of hockey.You know we lost the game but we won the fights.They weren't that good anyway to spend most of their time on their heels fending off power plays and be able to score quickly to play catchup,when they were back to even strength.Watch the Russians play Saturday if you want to see how hockey should be played.That includes the NHL as well.A lot of great play making.

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by skt8word Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 am

They used to call it exhibition as opposed to gala in the show's description.  I don't really like calling it gala. lol

Mirai Nagasu said in interviews she wants to be on Dancing With the Stars, almost sounded like she was campaigning to be on it Laughing .  Mirai, I don't think you'll have any problem getting a spot on Dancing With the Stars.  

I'm not a huge fan of Dancing With the Stars, but I'd definitely watch her on that. Popcorn
skt8word
skt8word
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:42 pm

I hope she does go on DWTS.
peebeeb
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down