Marcus and Lacy breakup

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marcus and Lacy breakup - Page 2 Empty Re: Marcus and Lacy breakup

Post by GymGirlJane Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:50 pm

DoubleDS10 wrote:A friend of mine just got married in Mexico, she is Canadian and so is her spouse. They had to have a marriage license from Canada before they left. I know nothing about this subject other than this personal case scenario.
Don;t know but my guess would be they were first legally married in Canada and then went to mexico where they had some sort of ceremony.

Was the ceremony in Mexico religious?  Because if so that would explain what they did.  Mexico does not recognize religious weddings -- only civil services.  So if you want a religious wedding in mexico you can get a legal marriage license elsewhere  and have some sort of religious service in mexico which you  count as your real wedding.  People do things like this if the venue where (for whatever reason) they want to get married does not allow the type of service they want or will not allow them to marry there for whatever reason.  I think gay couples likely do things like that.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Feces.Hurling.Monkey Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:41 am

DoubleDS10 wrote:A friend of mine just got married in Mexico, she is Canadian and so is her spouse. They had to have a marriage license from Canada before they left. I know nothing about this subject other than this personal case scenario.
That to me seems like the correct and legal thing to do; get the license validated *BEFORE* the destination wedding.
Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Feces.Hurling.Monkey Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:57 am

GymGirlJane wrote:
Feces.Hurling.Monkey wrote:

OK, Great answer Gymmie and that makes sense, somewhat - I would think that a US citizen would have to return to the courthouse to get it validated and registered, but I suppose the "recognition" clause works....except, suppose (hypothetically) a foreign country has weirdo marriage norms and allows a guy (or gurl) to marry (4) women, including one below the age a US state allows for consent; how could that marriage be legally recognized in the US??
  If the foreign marriage breaks any state law, that state will not recognize it.  Bigamy for example is outlawed in every state in the U.S.  So a foreign marriage that violated bigamy laws in the U.S. would not be recognized here.

This is the general rule.  There may be some minor exceptions.  I am not a family or matrimonial lawyer.  I suppose I could send an associate to the library to do a 50 state survey for you but it does not seem like a good use of our time. Very Happy

Again, this does not constitute legal advice and anyone contemplating a foreign marriage should consult with an attorney in his or her state of residence.

BTW Gimmie; I am reminded of a conversation I had with friends this time last year when our SCOTUS ruled on same-sex marriage.   My con-law lawyer brought up a good point that it never really needed to go all the way to the SCOTUS because most states would have recognized the marriage as legal from the old "Full Faith and Credit" clause that was already tested in the SCOTUS. I had him explain the term to me and I see his point.  Basically one state has to recognize a legal contract, even if it's not on their books, if it was legal in another state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Faith_and_Credit_Clause.

Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:14 am

That to me seems like the correct and legal thing to do; get the license validated *BEFORE* the destination wedding.
well, you are incorrect Monkey Bars.  People may feel more comfortable getting legally married in the U.S. and then having a ceremony in mexico for their destination wedding -- or, if they wnat a religious ceremony in mexico they would have no other option -- but there should be no problem having a Mexican marriage recognized in the U.S.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:25 am

GymGirlJane wrote:

OK, Great answer Gymmie and that makes sense, somewhat - I would think that a US citizen would have to return to the courthouse to get it validated and registered, but I suppose the "recognition" clause works....except, suppose (hypothetically) a foreign country has weirdo marriage norms and allows a guy (or gurl) to marry (4) women, including one below the age a US state allows for consent; how could that marriage be legally recognized in the US??
  If the foreign marriage breaks any state law, that state will not recognize it.  Bigamy for example is outlawed in every state in the U.S.  So a foreign marriage that violated bigamy laws in the U.S. would not be recognized here.

This is the general rule.  There may be some minor exceptions.  I am not a family or matrimonial lawyer.  I suppose I could send an associate to the library to do a 50 state survey for you but it does not seem like a good use of our time. Very Happy

Again, this does not constitute legal advice and anyone contemplating a foreign marriage should consult with an attorney in his or her state of residence.

BTW Gimmie; I am reminded of a conversation I had with friends this time last year when our SCOTUS ruled on same-sex marriage.   My con-law lawyer brought up a good point that it never really needed to go all the way to the SCOTUS because most states would have recognized the marriage as legal from the old "Full Faith and Credit" clause that was already tested in the SCOTUS. I had him explain the term to me and I see his point.  Basically one state has to recognize a legal contract, even if it's not on their books, if it was legal in another state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Faith_and_Credit_Clause.

Don't know who this "con-law lawyer" friend of your is, but they do not know what they are talking about with respect to this issue.  First of all states were routinely not applying Full Faith & Credit to same sex marriage.  Then congress passed the defense of marriage Act that expressly stated states need not grant other states Full Faith & Credit in the context of same-sex marriage.  Then there were a slew of states passing laws (and in some cases actual constitutional amendments) defining marriage as a convenant between a man and a woman -- some of those laws expressly exempted same sex out of state marriages from FF&C.  

Drives me nuts when people present themselves as experts on matters they in fact know nothing about.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Feces.Hurling.Monkey Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 am

GymGirlJane wrote:
Don't know who this "con-law lawyer" friend of your is, but they do not know what they are talking about with respect to this issue.  First of all states were routinely not applying Full Faith & Credit to same sex marriage.  Then congress passed the defense of marriage Act that expressly stated states need not grant other states Full Faith & Credit in the context of same-sex marriage.  Then there were a slew of states passing laws (and in some cases actual constitutional amendments) defining marriage as a convenant between a man and a woman -- some of those laws expressly exempted same sex out of state marriages from FF&C.  

Drives me nuts when people present themselves as experts on matters they in fact know nothing about.
Sheeze Gymmie, you come off sounding like a  *pompus* expert yourself.    Can't a guy have an opinion? 
There were plenty of expert opinions with good academic arguments that same-sex marriage should never have been on the SCOUTS docket.  After the decision, I though Robert's opinion was excellent and spot on.

Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:13 am

GymGirlJane wrote:

Sheeze Gymmie, you come off sounding like a  *pompus* expert yourself.    Can't a guy have an opinion? 
There were plenty of expert opinions with good academic arguments that same-sex marriage should never have been on the SCOUTS docket.  After the decision, I though Robert's opinion was excellent and spot on.

People are indeed entitled to opinions.  But someone holding themselves out as a "conlaw lawyer" (whatever the heck this guy is he is clearly not a constitutional lawyer) and then talking about Full faith & credit when he clearly does not know anything about it and gives flat out misinformation deserves to be told as much. 

-- constitutional law is really complicated.  "Experts" in this area (and I am most definitely not one) typically base their opinions on something more than wikipedia articles --
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Feces.Hurling.Monkey Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:54 pm

This was me and my friends shooting-the-shit over a few beers last year and discussing the SCOTUS decision.

I called him an "expert" because, in addition to a law degree and a masters in political science / con law, he clerked for a Federal District Judge. ....but what do I know, I'm a Chemical Engr with a *real* job.....I linked the Wiki article for the benefit of anybody else reading this thread and were curious of the term.   sheeze.
Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by h28koala Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:55 pm

thisoldmule wrote:According to WP, Marcus and Lacy have split.  Remember the wedding ceremony they had on BIP?  FAKE not even legal    What a sham this show is.

Holy Crap; we outta sue Fleiss for ....well something. Bogus, but I don't care, the only reason I watched was because Lacy had Huge Cans.   

BTW folks; when couples do a "Destination Wedding" not on American soil - say on the beach in Aruba , is it a legit marriage certificate, or what do they have to do once they return to the USA??
Monkey I always love your posts.

Lacy - huge fake cans.  She got rejected by Juan Pablo on the FIRST NIGHT of her season and then got huge cans and got a fake marriage.  Not too shabby.  Jillian last season (butt bar girl) tried the same thing but she failed unfortunately.  Guess it isn't always the cans.

h28koala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top