Tommy Chong and Emma Slater
Jonathan Bennett and Peta Murgatroyd
Michael Waltrip and Witney Carson
Antonio Sabato Jr. and Allison Holker
Lea Thompson and Val Chmerkovskiy
Janel Parrish and Artem Chigvintsev
Sadie Robertson and Derek Hough
Bethany Mota and Mark Ballas 

Not terribly surprising, I guess, that Derek and Mark just switched partners or that Val and Artem switched partners.  I feel bad for Jonathan - I had really wanted to see him with Cheryl.  I think she would have brought a lot out of him.  Alfonso lucked out with her, I think, but he didn't need the help.  I'm not sure Peta will help Jonathan that much.  Witney and Michael are a huge mismatch in height, I think.  Allison won't help Antonio.  Tommy and Witney would have been fun, I think.  Oh well, I didn't Twitter, so I can't complain.  Smile

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Season 19 Week 5 Empty Re: Season 19 Week 5

Post by LadyMustang65 Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:26 pm

This could be such a train wreck in so many cases:

The dances:

Jonathan Bennett and Peta Murgatroyd – jitterbug
Tommy Chong and Emma Slater – mambo
Bethany Mota and Mark Ballas – hip-hop
Janel Parrish and Artem Chigvintsev – burlesque
Alfonso Ribeiro and Cheryl Burke – flamenco
Sadie Robertson and Derek Hough – Charleston
Antonio Sabato Jr. and Allison Holker – Bollywood
Lea Thompson and Val Chmerkovskiy – Broadway
Michael Waltrip and Witney Carson – disco

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm not familiar with the mambo, so no opinion.  I think the most difficult to pull off will be burlesque and flamenco.  And I hate Bollywood.  Since when does this have anything to do with real dancing?  I hate it on SYTYCD and I hate it on DWTS.  I'd rather see a polka.  Or an Irish jig.  Or what a real lambada looks like.

Remember when they had the Russian folk dance on SYTYCD?  It fell flatter than a pancake.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Oh my goodness, yes.  I do remember that Russian folk dance.  If they had wanted to go in that direction, why not do the Cossack-type dancing?  At least that would have been exciting. 

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 am

DetailsCategory: Dancing with the Stars Published: 13 October 2014
dancing with the stars SWITCH UP dwts19
Season 19 Week 5 Dwts_leadDANCING WITH THE STARS
RECAP FOR OCTOBER 13, 2014

Hello, and welcome to Dancing With The Stars on ABC. Tonight is the Switch-Up Challenge, which means that our contestants will get a new pro to dance with for the night. What will happen?  Let’s get started—LIVE!

We open with Jessie J, who is our guest judge, singing Bang, Bang.

Celebrity: Antonio Sabato, Jr.

Claim To Fame: General Hospital star and Calvin Klein model

Original Pro: Cheryl Burke

Switch Up Pro: Allison Holker

Dance: Bollywood

Commentary: I love Bollywood dance. This has got to be one of the coolest versions of the style and I love when he goes twirling in the air. He also seems more relaxed this week and as if he is finally enjoying himself. 

Julianne: He has heart and passion. However, there was a bit of a disconnect. 

Bruno: Good job, but watch the timing. 

Carrie Ann: This is a good partnership and she brought the best out of Antonio.

Jessie J: It was amazing. 

Scores: 8-6-7-7=28 out of 40

Celebrity: Bethany Mota

Claim To Fame: YouTube star

Original Pro: Derek Hough

Switch Up Pro: Mark Ballas

Dance: Hip Hop

Commentary: Sometimes I forget she is still a teenager. She is so mature, yet so innocent at the same time. 

As for the routine, I am not sure how I feel about the restaurant theme, but the dancing is brilliant! I must say, she is proving to be one we are going to have to watch out for because she has some serious talent! Oh, and on a completely girly note, I LOVE her hair!!! 

Bruno: She is blossoming week after week.

Carrie Ann: She has swag for real.

Jessie J: She really enjoyed it.

Julianne: She really attacked it!

Scores: 8-8-8-8=32 out of 40

Celebrity: Jonathan Bennett

Claim To Fame: Mean Girls star

Original Pro: Allison Holker

Switch Up Pro: Peta Murgatroyd

Dance: Jitterbug

Commentary: Oh no! She almost fell. They really put a lot of effort into the dance, but something seemed off. However, they seemed like they were trying to have fun and enjoy the dance. I just feel bad because it was obvious they worked hard on this routine. They are adorable though, definitely the Barbie and Ken of the night. 

Carrie Ann: So much was fun, but so much was wrong. 

Jessie J: It was uncomfortable to watch.

Julianne: There was a fear in the dance. 

Scores: 6-6-6-6=24 out of 40.

Jonathan says he was afraid Peta’s dress ripped so he was protecting her—what a gentleman!

Celebrity: Alfonso Ribiero

Claim To Fame: Fresh Prince star

Original Pro: Witney Carson

Switch Up Pro: Cheryl Burke

Dance: Flamenco

Commentary: WOW….THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY. That was an incredible routine and it was hard to tell who was the professional dancer. We need more Flamenco on the show, it is my new favorite dance.

Jessie J: It was amazing.

Julianne: It was the first partnership she believed tonight.

Bruno: He enjoyed it, but he offers places to make it better.

Scores: 8-9-9-8=34 out of 40

Celebrity: Janel Parrish

Claim To Fame: Pretty Little Liars star

Original Pro: Val Chmerkovskiy

Switch Up Pro: Artem Chigvintsev

Dance: Burlesque

Commentary: Whoa….that was…..sexy. I love how she apologized to her daddy and how Tom says he is getting security.

Julianne: It was not true burlesque, but raunchy and sexy.

Bruno: Never to sexy for him.

Carrie Ann: She appreciates the trust between them, but not true burlesque.

Jessie J: She really enjoyed it. 

Scores: 8-8-8-9=33 out of 40

Celebrity: Michael Waltrip

Claim To Fame: Racecar driver

Original Pro: Emma Slater

Switch Up Pro: Witney Carson

Dance: Disco

Commentary: He makes me laugh every week. He has such a  great sense of humor and is just so much fun. I know he is trying and what he lacks in technique he makes up for in heart and spirit.  He is one of the biggest joys of the season. 

Bruno: The timing was completely off.

Carrie Ann: When he can’t dance he can make them laugh.

Jessie J: He did it. 

Julianne: It is getting a bit uncomfortable.

Scores: 5-5-5-5=20 out of 40

Celebrity: Tommy Chong

Claim To Fame: Cheech and Chong star

Original Pro: Peta Murgatroyd

Switch Up Pro: Emma Slater

Dance: Mambo

Commentary: who knew Tommy could move his hips like that? WOW. He is definitely a pleasant surprise this season. There is just something so inspirational about watching him on the show.

Carrie Ann: It was an odd song choice, which make it lackluster.

Jessie J: She enjoyed it.

Julianne: We need to see more from him.

Bruno: It was slow, but he got there in the end.

Scores: 6-6-5-6=23 out of 40 

Celebrity: Sadie Robertson

Claim To Fame: Duck Dynasty star

Original Pro: Mark Ballas

Switch Up Pro: Derek Hough

Dance: Charleston

Commentary: Seeing Derek on the farm was hilarious! It reminded me of why I love him so much. As for the dance, WOW. Again, for someone who has never danced before, she has quite a natural talent. I think she just bought her ticket to the finals. 

Jessie J: It was very clean and on point. She had to think of who was the pro.

Julianne: She missed a bit timing, but she loved it.

Bruno: Perfect flapper, spot on and beautiful.

Carrie Ann: Watch rushing the music, but it is magnificent.

Scores: 9-9-9-9=36 out of 40

Celebrity: Lea Thompson

Claim To Fame: Back To The Future star

Original Pro: Artem Chigvinstev

Switch Up Pro: Val Chmerkovskiy

Dance: Broadway

Commentary: They are fun to watch and the older people in the routine are cute, but I have a feeling those who are Broadway obsessed are not going to like this because messing with an iconic routine is always a big no-no. I personally enjoyed it, but I can see where Hairspray fans might not.

Julianne: It was fun, but she seemed unsure.

Bruno: Off the wall and insanely funny.

Carrie Ann: She showed versatility this week.

Jessie J: Her acting and dancing was the best.

Scores: 9-8-8-9=34 out of 40

http://tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-12-07-57-48/dancing-with-the-stars/11944-dancing-with-the-stars-recap-for-october-13-2014
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:49 am

For me, this was the least enjoyable week thus far.  Confusing and crippling for some contestants.  I couldn't score most of them.

Antonio & Allison - Bollywood.  This was the most fun I've seen Antonio have.  That being said, I hate Bollywood as a competitive dance.  One needs the stamina of a cross-country track star.  Again, the comments about Allison outdancing her partner.

Bethany & Mark - Hip Hop.  She looked so cute and I thought she did a good job.  Another genre I'm not fond of, but this was a "soft" version - pretty good.

Jonathan & Peta -  Jitterbug.  God love him, he had it right up to the end.  The tricks did him in.  I noticed a huge difference in his attack with Peta.  He certainly wasn't a prop this week.  Had they dumped those last few tricks, he only would've heard about is timing.

Alfonso & Cheryl - Flamenco.   Best dance of the night.  Perfect music.

Janel & Artem - Burlesque.  i don't know what the producers expected them to do with this genre.  CA was right.  It was nice while Janel was with the other girls.  But Burlesque (in my mind) doesn't lend itself to a male-female partnership.

Michael & Witney - Disco.  This was a horrible genre for a man of his age to draw.  But he did have some moments when he wasn't completely stiff.  He really needs to go home.  This deserved the 5s.

Tommy & Emma - Mambo.  Meh.  Enough already.  He can go right after Michael.

Sadie & Derek - Charleston.  First, the music sucked.  Second, it didn't look like any Charleston I've ever seen.  And what was all that arm waving action?  Sadie danced it well, but when I saw those legs moving, I was uncomfortable.  Took me back to my teen years when I had stilts for legs.  Br-r-r-r.

Lea & Val - Broadway.  ** furrowed brow **  She's my favorite but I wasn't happy with this dance.  There were times she looked a little lost and uncertain.  Don't like to see her that way.

I thought Julianne looked great tonight and it strikes me that she's responding to all the flak she got about her hair and attire.

I know I've complained about Bruno's overt sexual comments but he's like a ghost when there's a fourth judge.  I wish they'd stop having guest judges.  For me, they bring nothing to the show but skewed scoring.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:49 pm

I had such low expectations for this night, so I was actually pleasantly surprised and found it generally quite enjoyable. 

Antonio/Allison – Bollywood done well can be very exciting and entertaining.  This wasn’t great Bollywood, and Allison danced rings around Antonio, but I thought this was the most relaxed we’ve seen him, and he seemed to be having fun.  Not great, but not bad.  I thought Jessie’s score was a bit low.

Bethany/Mark – this was the first week she’s really seemed to have a personality.  I thought she did a nice job with the dance.  I don’t know how much “hip hop” it actually was, but it was nice choreography, and I thought it was the first time she’s actually attempted to really ‘sell’ a performance. 

Jonathan/Peta – okay, this was a hot mess all the way through, but Jonathan had energy and enthusiasm, and he was really selling this performance.  So for me it proved that Allison is the problem.  Jonathan didn’t have enough real dance training under his belt to be able to show any real improvement in technique, but we now know definitively that he can move.  I didn’t see any “fear” on Peta’s face at all, and there was only one moment when I kind of stopped breathing for a second, so I don’t know what the judges were seeing from their perspective.  Anyway, I sort of wish that Peta had tried a less ambitious routine and spent a bit more time teaching him technique, because I think he has the ability to be much better than he is, and he would have benefitted from some real training from Peta because he won’t get it from Allison.  I thought the judges’ scores were a bit low.  I would have given him 7s just for successfully (if not elegantly) completing those lifts at the end.   I’ll be bummed if he leaves next week.

Alfonso/Cheryl – I loved this dance.  Definitely the standout of the night for me.  I don’t know if it was ‘true’ flamenco or not, but it certainly had the look and feel of it.  I liked this one much better than either Val/Kelly’s or Derek/Kellie’s flamencos.  The only thing that was weird was having a ‘silent’ flamenco.  If they had those studs on their shoes, I couldn’t hear them at all.  Not even when Alfonso was alone at the beginning.  I always think of flamenco as being similar to tapping so that you should hear the different rhythms as well as see the dancers moving.

Janel/Artem – another one I really enjoyed.  I disagreed with Julianne about burlesque being all comedy.  That is simply not true.  Burlesque is very loosely defined, and while it had its roots in comedy, that is certainly not all that it is.  It is also very much about the sex.  So I thought they did a great job of combining both aspects.  Janel was a little shaky on some of the lifts, but not egregiously so, and I thought the choreography was fun and entertaining.  One of my favorites of the night.

Michael/Witney – I actually thought this was one of Michael’s better dances, but that’s really not saying much.  He just is not good.  His campiness went well with the type of dance, but overall, I just don’t enjoy watching him dance.  He has not progressed at all, imho, since the beginning.  I’m hoping he leaves next week.

Tommy/Emma – I have thoroughly enjoyed Tommy on the show, but I think his time is up.  The song was horrible for a mambo, but I don’t think different music would have helped.  He’s got some natural rhythm and some moves for a guy his age, and he’s personable as all get out, but he was barely moving I that dance, and as the judges mentioned, by this time in the show, I want to see more than the same old same old every week.  If he lasts more than a couple more weeks, he’ll be in danger of knocking out much better dancers, and that would be bad.

Sadie/Derek – After having not cared much for her last three dances, I found I really enjoyed this one.  Like Bethany’s hip hop, I don’t know how much Charleston was really in that dance, but I thought it was fun to watch – energetic and entertaining.  The dress really suited her, and I think the length was good for that dance.  That pink lipstick they used was so much better for her than the red they usually use.  I thought she looked very pretty.  I did think it was awkward in a couple of parts, but overall she looked like she was having fun, and so was I.  I wouldn’t have given it all 9s, though.  Not when Alfonso got 2 9s and 2 8s, and I thought his was better.  I guess this was Sadie’s turn to be on top of the leaderboard.  But I truly am more than over Duck Dad.  Sadie said he flew in from Louisiana to meet Derek.  Really?  With all the time he’s spent at the studio, do you really expect us to believe that he hasn’t already met Derek?  And since they spent most of the week at the family home, why couldn’t he just meet him then?  That just really seemed to insult my intelligence.  

Lea/Val – this was another one of my favorites of the evening.  Lea and Val had a great partnership, I think.  They worked well together, the dance was fun and entertaining, the choreography was good.  I thought Lea did a nice job with it.  Not her best dance, but one I would watch again for fun. 

At this point I am hoping for Michael to leave next week.  After that Tommy and Antonio can go in either order.  As far as guest judges go, Jessie was the worst.  She kept saying she’d never seen any of them dance, so why bother to go on the show if you don’t even watch it occasionally?  She knew nothing about dance, nothing about the dancers.  Absolutely useless.  And it seemed like Bruno got cut off several times and didn’t get to give his comments.  That’s not right.  So that annoyed me.  They really don’t need a 4th judge.  As for Julianne herself, I go back and forth on her.  Sometimes she’s okay; other times she really bugs.  Tonight was one of those nights when she bugged.  She looked the nicest she’s looked all season but acted the worst, I thought.  Oh well.  Mostly, I enjoyed the evening.  That said, I will be glad to get back to regular partners and 'normal' dancing next wee.  Smile

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:37 pm

mustang, I kind of wondered if Peta was trying to outdo the new golden girl by actually teaching Jonathan.  If so, she took it too far.

I'm really annoyed with the music choices.  How can you give Alfonso perfect flamenco music, then turn around and give other couples this impossible crap?  I missed the castanets on the flamenco - the clacking shoes, too.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention the castanets.  I thought Cheryl would have had them, but maybe that was a bit too much to learn, even for a pro.  Agree about Peta/Allison.  I had really hoped that Jonathan would get Cheryl, even though Cheryl/Alfonso were great together.  I think Cheryl would have really helped him a lot.  There's just something so darn likeable about Jonathan that I hate that he's struggling so much, especially when I really don't think he should be.  It's just not a good match-up for him with Allison.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Here is a link to someone else's take on the show last night.

http://www.people.com/article/dancing-with-the-stars-elimination?xid=email-buzz-20141014

I went and watched the dances on youtube and I thought that Alfonso's dance was better than Sadie's.  In fact I didn't care for Sadie's because all that I could see was long arms and long legs flinging around and it looked awkward to me.  I guess it reminded me of Zendaya when she was on with the long arms and long legs and looking awkward to me - I guess it is just me.

I have to agree that Michael cannot dance and his was the worst of the night in my opinion.  Tommy did look tired to me and just seemed to have lost some of his charm last night.  I was kind of surprised that Johnathan's score was so low because I thought he did better or at least looked like he was enjoying himself more than he does with Allison.  IMO Allison does not belong on this show - she is all about herself and showing off herself and has no connection with her partners at all.  And again she danced around Antonio and not with him - such a shame for the male celebs IMO.  I don't think any of the male celeb's would be a match with Allison - she wants and needs to be a one person show. Season 19 Week 5 1285103149

I liked Lea's dance and thought she should have scored as high as Sadie but then I thought Sadie was scored too high.  LOL was Val's pants too tight - he looked like he moved a little funny to me but maybe that was just part of the choreography.

I also liked Janelle and Artem's dance as far as burlesque goes.  I thought they danced well together.

I will keep my opinion of Julianne to myself.
SLA44
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Even though some of the dancers seemed like fish out of water I still couldn't understand why the judges were so brutal with their scores. I liked Alfonso, Sadie, Leah and Bethany the best....AND I liked Janel and Artem's dance whether the judges did or not. Maybe it wasn't 100% Burlesque but I see it the same way as Singly did....I have never seen a Burlesque dance with a male and female dancing together. Also, the pro is the one that makes up the moves so to hold it against Janel's score wasn't right. On a side note...since Maks is gone it seems like Artem is the new pro beefcake this season...he is hot Very Happy
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:47 am

I think so, too, rkc.  Artem is "fresh meat."  He and Val will have to battle it out for sexiest pro.  lol.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by rkc1960 Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:50 am

Val is nice looking but I guess to me he isn't as hot as his brother. I found it interesting that as much as Val and Janel are trying to deny romance rumors he seemed to get kind of upset about the chemistry between Artem and Janel this week and the time they spent together. Then you had the pic show up this week with Maks and Meryl and Val and Janel out on a "double date"....hmmm...
rkc1960
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:01 am

At first, I didn't like Val at all - mainly because he bears such a resemblance to my ex.  lol.  I've gotten over it.  You're right.  Next to Maks, he doesn't have the sex appeal.  But next to Artem, I think he's on equal footing.  Both seem to take pains to feature their partners in the dance. 

At my age, sexiness usually plays second-fiddle to a nice personality.  I've never been one to put looks over brains.   Um... except maybe for Russell Crowe.    Laughing

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top