America's Got Talent

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: America's Got Talent

Post by SLA44 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:57 am

I also thought that last night was good and didn't show a lot of the 'crap acts' as singly said.  I hope they continue on with not showing a bunch of them.

I missed the TapeMouthGuy - what kind of act was it?  I laughed so hard at the dancing dog and was glad that he made it on for another day.  I did laugh some at the "jiggle-fringe and faux Elvis" but I sure would not have put them through.

I'm not an opera lover but that girl had a powerful voice for being only 13 and for as nervous as she was I thought she did great.  She even got a standing ovation from Simon and that doesn't happen often with him.

I think maybe becoming a father has mellowed Simon somewhat and I too found him to be fun and pleasant last night.  We'll have to see how long it lasts. 
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:23 pm

TapeMouthGuy was a comedy act - a mime actually but not your 'usual'  mime.  He's this guy with huge eyes and guyliner who came out with duct tape over his mouth.  He didn't say a word the whole time, so the judges didn't even know his name.  Here's a link (I hope anyway) to the youtube video - I think he's just hysterical.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70Ww9vzjvg  As always, your mileage may vary, but I'm in love.  < lol >

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Thank you for the link - that was really funny!

SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:11 pm

I had tears running down my face, I was laughing that hard.  Glad you enjoyed it.  I'm hoping he can come up with enough new things to keep it going.  He was my hands-down favorite act last night.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by therealdfshary on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:54 pm

This guy was great, but so was the young opera singer. My two favorites.
therealdfshary
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm

therealdfshary wrote:This guy was great, but so was the young opera singer. My two favorites.

Yeah, I thought she sounded wonderful as well.  Smile

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 am

I really liked the first choir, the deaf comedian, the Edgar Family Band and the last young girl singer, Grace.  Those were my favorites.  I did not care for the dancers with the drones.  Not sure what the judges saw in them.  The dancing was very basic and uninspired.  The drones were mildly interesting, but since they didn't do anything really special, mildly interesting was the best I could say.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Drones?  THAT'S what the h** those were?  You're right, mustang.  Totally uninspired.  I, too, liked the Edgar Family.  Also, Malevo (sp?).  Grace actually brought tears to my eyes; I was that happy for her.  What a talent in such a young girl.  Amazing.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Yup.  Those were drones.  I liked Malevo as well, but I wonder if they can switch it up enough to keep it fresh and interesting.  But those feet really moved!!  I'd forgotten about them when I posted this morning.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:11 am

All I can say is, "Thank God for DVR."  So many commercials and so much BS.  Last night was scarce on talent.  Though I did appreciate the Russian Bar act.  That girl was amazing.  She made gymnasts on a balance beam looks like amateurs.

It appears to be the year of the singing little girls.  Three, so far, are exceptional.  I know the judges raved over the a cappella group but I was wishing we heard more than the one lead singer.  She could have dumped the group and gone with music.

Kadie and the Russian Bar act are probably the only two I would have put through.  The comedians might have been funny but they only graced us with hearing a couple of sentences so they could save the last half-hour for BS.   And I wondered if the girl will be able to come up with fresh material each week.

Oh, I forgot.  The Sinatra guy was good.  But as with opera, not my kind of music.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:42 am

I pretty much agree with you, Singly.  The Russian bar act was impressive.  She got some serious air on some of those throws and how she managed to find the bar on the way down is beyond me.  I liked Kadie, but she didn't wow me.  I was surprised Sal (Sinatra guy) got the Golden Buzzer.  He was good, and I do enjoy Sinatra, but some of the notes seemed off to me, and he just wasn't distinctive to me.  He didn't take the song and make it his own - he did Sinatra.  I thought the a cappella group was good, and I also liked the tightrope walkers.  I can't walk on the ground without tripping, so I'm always impressed by people who can walk on tiny ropes suspended over the ground.  And given their age, I thought it was even more impressive.  That's usually a young person's game.  I was shocked when she carried him on her shoulders. 

I agree on the comedian's.  I liked the few jokes we heard but have no real idea if they were good overall or if we just saw the best jokes.  The little girl was way better than the first little boy they put through on the first show.  There was some clever stuff there.  But like you I wonder if she can come up with fresh material each week.  Then again, if she's been doing this for her father for a couple of years, she may have a stockpile of material?

I think you're dead on that last night was scarce on talent.  A lot of good but not great.  But one you did not mention who blew me away was the 'juggler.'  The costuming was odd, but it worked with the act, and he was so smooth and fluid.  Not at all what I was expecting when he said he was a juggler.  Someone on another board said he worked for Cirque du Soleil, which would explain a lot, if true.  But he was my favorite of the night.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:59 pm

LadyMustang I agree with you on the Juggler - I thought he was really good and brought a whole new light to juggling the way I had always seen it.  I pretty much agree with everything else you say - my only regret is I missed Sal (Sinatra guy) altogether.  I am sorry about that and guess I will have to wait awhile to see him now if he was buzzed straight through.  Who gave him the golden buzz?
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm thinking it was Heidi who hit the golden buzzer. 

I forgot about the juggler.  I liked him.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:18 am

Yup.  It was Heidi who buzzed him through.  So we only have Simon left to use the buzzer.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:48 am

Wondering why it is that only singers were worthy of the golden buzzer?  I didn't really care for the twins.  I had the same thought Mel B did - that he missed some notes there.  Something sounded off.  As long as they were playing, it was fine, but that one was really annoying when talking.  Too bad TapeGuy wasn't there - a nice piece of duct tape would have worked wonders.  < lol > 

The quick change act was amazing.  I have no idea how they do it.  I also have no idea how they could possibly keep that act fresh and interesting.  I admit to starting to get a bit bored by the end, but the quick change through the confetti was an awesome final touch. 

Knife guy was okay.  The guy hanging weights off his eyelids was unwatchable in our household.  That just grosses me out. 

I did like the comedian a lot.  Hope she's around for a while.  Good call for Simon to ask that one woman to try another song.  And good for her that she had Natural Woman as a back-up.  We all thought that was really good. 

We loved the football player-magician.  Probably our favorite act of the night. 

There were probably others we enjoyed, but I'm honestly having trouble remembering most of the people I saw last night.  I remember one singer early on who annoyed the heck out of me by adding about 3,000 extra notes to the song.  She went through, but I really hate when singers make a song about "look what I can do with my voice" instead of about bringing out the emotions of the song. 

And aside from Val, heavy-metal old guy and the bad Elvis wannabe, have we seen any male singers?  Maybe I'm just not remembering it, but it seems like a real dearth of male singers outside of groups.  And have we had any actual bands?  The family band is the closest I can remember.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:03 am

LadyMustang65 wrote:Wondering why it is that only singers were worthy of the golden buzzer?  I didn't really care for the twins.  I had the same thought Mel B did - that he missed some notes there.  Something sounded off.  As long as they were playing, it was fine, but that one was really annoying when talking.  Too bad TapeGuy wasn't there - a nice piece of duct tape would have worked wonders.  < lol > 

The quick change act was amazing.  I have no idea how they do it.  I also have no idea how they could possibly keep that act fresh and interesting.  I admit to starting to get a bit bored by the end, but the quick change through the confetti was an awesome final touch. 

Knife guy was okay.  The guy hanging weights off his eyelids was unwatchable in our household.  That just grosses me out. 

I did like the comedian a lot.  Hope she's around for a while.  Good call for Simon to ask that one woman to try another song.  And good for her that she had Natural Woman as a back-up.  We all thought that was really good. 

We loved the football player-magician.  Probably our favorite act of the night. 

There were probably others we enjoyed, but I'm honestly having trouble remembering most of the people I saw last night.  I remember one singer early on who annoyed the heck out of me by adding about 3,000 extra notes to the song.  She went through, but I really hate when singers make a song about "look what I can do with my voice" instead of about bringing out the emotions of the song. 

And aside from Val, heavy-metal old guy and the bad Elvis wannabe, have we seen any male singers?  Maybe I'm just not remembering it, but it seems like a real dearth of male singers outside of groups.  And have we had any actual bands?  The family band is the closest I can remember.
I couldn't stomach him either and could not watch him complete his act and yet he made it through.  I don't understand these judges putting some of these gross things through - just like that regurgitating man last season (I think it was last season).  SMH
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 am

My guess is they do it because some people like them, and they like to have some variety in their acts.  I was glad that at least Heidi said no.  At least I think she said no.  Can't remember much.

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:11 am

I liked all three female singers.  Jayna, Ronnie and the last girl (can't recall her name.)

My thumb went auto and ffwdd through the eyelid guy. The wardrobe couple were fascinating to watch but like Mustang pointed out, I wonder how they'd keep it fresh.

Julia, the comic, was truly funny.

@mustang:  Didn't they put the Frank Sinatra guy through?  Aside from him, I don't recall any men singers.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:15 am

Yes, he got through.  That's Val.  Then there was the old man who did the heavy-metal karaoke and the guy who sang Elvis while his wife gyrated in her white go-go dress.  But those are the only three male singers I can remember (and I'm using the term "singer" here *very* loosely!).  < lol >

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by therealdfshary on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:47 pm

The Frank Sinatra guy got the golden ticket & went right through. About 5 years ago they had another coupe who did the same thing as the wardrobe couple. They were put through on the first round, but didn't make it any farther. They were told that they couldn't do anything else.
therealdfshary
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:04 am

I loved Duct Tape Guy!
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Shary - I'd forgotten that the Sinatra guy got the golden buzzer.  I didn't think he should have.   I didn't remember their having a quick-change artist on before, so it will be interesting to see if they get a second chance or are culled by the judges before the next round.

Peeb - I loved him too.  Smile

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:10 am

WOW! There was some good talent tonight!!  It started off with the 18 year old home schooled boy that was very entertaining and ended with the 28 year old man that had gone through a lot of bullying and just blew everybody away with his rendition of Find Somebody To Love.  The YMCA act was hysterical and the guy with his dog was also very entertaining.  There were so many good acts tonight I can't even began to list them all.  I am really liking Simon doing this show. 
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:57 am

I agree about the talent last night, SLA.  I liked The Smiths and the last guy you mentioned.  Brian, I think.  Also, the girl contortionist was really good.  The guy dressed as an Indian was entertaining.

I tend to ffwd through the knife-throwing, juggling, sword-swallowing and extreme eating.  I guess circus sideshow stuff isn't my cup of tea - though I appreciate acrobatics.  lol.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMustang65 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:48 am

I only got to see the first half last night.  I turn into a pumpkin if I stay up past 10 on a work night.  < lol >  So I'll comment on that now and the rest when I see the second half (probably tonight).

I liked the home-schooled guy.  He's not the greatest talent, but he was funny and charming.  A feel-good type.  He won't make it to the end, but I agree with putting him through.

Kid magician was interesting.  He's not terribly polished, but it was a great trick.  I'm used to magicians not showing the inside of the box - you just see a head sticking out one end and feet out of the other.  So I give him props for taking the boxes off.  I don't think he'll make it to the end either, but again I agree with putting him through.

I liked the Smiths.  They're a good team, and that song really suited their voices. 

I also have a real soft spot for Ginger, the dog.  Again, not the most polished act but boy was she so joyful, and the love and affection those two have for each other was palpable.  Again, probably won't win, but definitely agree with putting them through. 

Gospel choir was good - what we saw of it anyway.  And are there really no decent clowns?   OMG that segment was a trainwreck!!!  And seriously that one guy has some real problems to have tattooed his face like that.  =:0

LadyMustang65
Power User

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum