AI Season 2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AI Season 2014

Post by SLA44 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:16 pm

This season is such an improvement over last season as far as the judges go.  Its still too early in the season for me to decide on who I like the best but it was pretty clear who was going to go home last week.  Maybe someone will stand out for me this coming week.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Re: AI Season 2014

Post by rkc1960 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:35 pm

The two Diva's ruined it for me last year. I haven't watched it this year. May tune in near the end to see what is going on.
rkc1960
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:27 am

I think the two divas ruined it for a lot of people last year and I think TPTB recognized it and thus the changes this year and now they are back to just the three judges. 
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:25 am

Hi, folks.  I had given up on Idol.  It had become old and boring.  When my daughter told me Harry Connick Jr. would be on, I gave it a shot - and oh, my.  I'm loving it!

While they were still in auditions, I was drawn to Jena, Caleb, CJ, and Dexter.  Since then, I've kinda lost my love of Dex because I'm not a fan of country music.  CJ has been weaker than I originally saw, but I still root for him.  Loads of talent this year.

At this point, I'm thinking Jena and Caleb will be the final two.

PS:  I'm liking all the changes to format.  So glad they're no longer using a "featured artist" whose music they must sing.  Often, it didn't fit the contestant.  I like the half-hour results show.  Much more compact.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Welcome back singlyme!  I am not a Caleb fan because I don't like some of the rock that he does that the judges and crowd seem to really like.  But that is just personal preference.  I do like Jena , CJ and Dexter though.  I also like Sam but being that the judges saved him last week won't two be eliminated tonight?  I miss the 1st hour of AI because I'm watching Survivor so I missed the first 4 or so singers last night.  I did not like the way one of the guys changed a song and I can't think of his name right now but if I remember right Harry Connick Jr. wasn't so high on it either.  The guy was wearing a white shirt and played his guitar.  Of the ones that I saw last night he was the one I whose song I really didn't like.

Are sure they are not going to do a featured artist this season?  They still have several weeks to go yet.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm

You're probably referring to Alex who did his own rendition of "Every Breath You Take."  I thought it was a mess, too. 

Sam has a wonderful voice.  I hope he takes Harry's advice and watches some Ricky Nelson videos on youtube.  He lacks a spark, and the videos might help him see what he's missing.  But I agree, his voice is great.

I tape both shows (Survivor & AI), then flip back and forth after the first fifteen minutes to avoid all the commercials.  LOL.

I'm hoping we don't see another "Stevie Wonder Week" or whoever.  Can you picture Jessica singing Stevie?   Duh   I do like her, too.  A combo of Stevie Nicks and Cindi Lauper for me. ???

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Yes that was the one Duh ~ I think I only recognized one line in that rendition that he did.  I will be surprised if he is not in at least the bottom three tonight.

I will have to check out some of Ricky Nelsons videos myself.  I hope he does take Harry's advice and hope he is there for next week ~ guess I will find out tonight.

Haven't they already done a "Stevie Wonder Week"?  I really don't know what featured artist I would like.  Scratch 
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:45 am

Good show last night.  I wasn't sorry to see Malaya go.  It was the same thing every week and not my kind of music.

Is it my imagination, or has Harry become somewhat an attention hound the past couple of weeks?  ("I'm goin' in.")  He's suddenly bouncing out of his seat on a routine basis and interrupting everyone.  There was a point last night when Jennifer looked annoyed.  Since I've always loved the guy, I'm beginning to feel embarrassed for him.

I've never heard them say on Idol that the bottom three aren't "necessarily" the bottom three.  All singers considered, it appears to me that America is getting it right.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:13 am

I wasn't sorry to see Malaya go either but I really thought it would be between her and Alex.  I can't understand why he wasn't in the bottom two after the way he butchered that song Wednesday night.

No it is not your imagination about Harry - is he suppose to be the lead judge or does he just think he is?  He acts like he is and maybe that is why Jennifer looked annoyed.  The one thing I haven't liked this year is how the judges were talking among themselves when the bottom one was singing for their lives - that to me was distracting and rude to one trying to sing.  In the past it seemed to me that the judges waited until the person was through singing and then discussed whether they wanted to use the save or not.

I guess I missed them saying that the bottom three weren't necessarily the bottom three last night.  I must have still been in disbelief that Alex was named as the first one safe out of that group of four. 
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 am

I don't think they've ever used the "necessarily" on Idol as they do on DWTS.  I wasn't surprised to see Alex in the bottom, then he did exceptionally well last night.  I really liked his performance.

Sam Wolfe is getting the Ricky Nelson vibe.  I agreed with Harry the other week when he told him to watch some of Ricky's youtube.  Even Terry Bradshaw noted the resemblance.

I thought Jena rocked it last night.  She has come into her own.  And I always enjoy Caleb.

I don't like country music but I love Jessica's voice.  I hear her sing and then don't understand why the judges pick her apart as they do.

As much as I liked CJ in the beginning, he's proven too inconsistent.  I won't be surprised to see him in the bottom tonight.  Dexter, too, has lost his shine for me.

I still think it'll be between Caleb and Jena.  I'm leaning more toward Jena winning.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 am

Another one bites the dust.  I honestly am enjoying this season so much, I hate to see it end.  I must say I haven't been disappointed with anyone's exit and have agreed with America's choices.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm

As soon as Dexter was told he was in the final two I figured he was going to be the one to go home.  I actually will miss him.  I am surprised that CJ has made it this far.  I was glad to see that Sam was not in the bottom two again this week.

I think you are right on who will be the top two contending to be the next American Idol.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:14 am

What a great show last night!  The talent this season is outstanding.  I thought everyone did quite well, except for CJ.  I think he'll go tonight.

I've fluxuated on my feelings for Alex's music.  I thought his rendition of "You Were Always On My Mind" was absolutely beautiful.

I didn't care for Gena's second song, but she'll still be in the top.  And Caleb's country song somehow morphed into rock.  Did you catch Keith's comment about looking forward to hearing his country song?

Sam and Jessica both have this "dead eyes" thing going and I think it detracts from their performances.  Sam's improving with this, but I kept watching Jessica's close-ups.  It's like there's a veil between her and the audience.

Well, that sums it up for me.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:24 am

Darn I missed it last night!  I wonder if I can watch it on-line today?
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu May 01, 2014 8:01 am

I must confess, I wasn't as over-the-moon with last night's performances as I was last week.  Perhaps it was because I wasn't familiar with most of the songs they sang.  I stopped listening to current music when rap began - what, back in the 90's?   

I am happy, however, with the production changes this season.  They make the show so much more enjoyable.  This is one overhaul that really worked.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Thu May 01, 2014 10:20 am

I only saw the last half hour of the show last night and heard each of their last songs.  I really did not care for Caleb's last song at all.  Alex was really good and so was Sam.  Both gals did well.  Since I missed 3/4 of the show I have no idea who will be sent home tonight but my guess is the gal with the purple/pink highlights in her hair just given the judges comments last night although she has a very good voice.  My choice of course would be Caleb because I do not like that screaming rock kind of music but that's not going to happen.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Fri May 02, 2014 7:33 am

You're right, SLA.  It's not going to happen.  Caleb and Gena seem to be the top two.  Compared to the others, they're "performers."  I thought Sam and Jessica were a toss-up to leave last night.  I'll guess Jessica is next, followed by Alex.

I see you don't like old-time hard rock.  Some I like, some is too much for me - but I like what Caleb has done so far.  I ducked out while heavy metal was in vogue.  It was noise.  And I dislike rap because there's no melody, and the words are often repetitive and nasty.  I'd have been happy to stay with the Neil Diamond, BeeGees, John Denver, Eagles, Credence Clearwater Revival and Fleetwood Mac.  THEY were music.  Last but not least, love me some Strauss Waltzes.  LOL

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Fri May 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Well I was disappointed to see Sam eliminated last night and really have not much desire to continue watching.  I'm sorry but I do not like Caleb's music at all.  I don't like hard rock, heavy metal or rapping.  I favor soft rock and Sam was more to my liking of all the ones left although I did like the last song Alex sang Wednesday night.  Oh well there is still the Voice to watch although it conflicts with DWTS and as long as Maks is dancing I'm watching.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Sat May 03, 2014 7:55 am

Sam had a pure and wonderful voice, but lacked the "performance" aspect.  He didn't have enough time on stage to leave his shyness behind.  By the time they finish their tour, he should be seasoned and ready to go.  He does have that Ricky Nelson vibe.  I'm surprised that more of the teeny-boppers didn't get behind him.  Everyone left is so talented.  This has been a good season in that respect.

I don't think I've ever watched The Voice all the way through.  In the beginning, we see packages for people who will go home the same night.  Seems like a waste of time to get invested in someone for all of ten minutes.  And the judges usually eliminate my favorites before it gets to a public vote.  By the time it does, I'm left with no one to root for and I've lost interest.

There were four or five I liked at the beginning of this season.  They were all eliminated by the judges, so I quit watching.  Sometimes I feel like I have ADD.  LOL.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 am

I enjoyed most of last night's show.  That last song Jessica did was her shining moment, but I think she's next to go.

I'll be surprised if Caleb and Gena aren't the last two standing, however, I think the win is a toss-up.

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Thu May 08, 2014 2:30 pm

I didn't watch last night so I don't know what went on.  Since Sam was my favorite of the one's that were left I have kind of lost interest but I will tune in tonight to see who gets eliminated.
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Fri May 09, 2014 11:27 am

So Jessica went home last night and Alex will be the next eliminated and then there will be just Jena and Caleb.  Who do you want to win?  
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Sat May 10, 2014 8:26 am

Either is fine with me.  They are both quite talented singers.  But after Gena sang the Elvis song, I think she has an edge.  Then again, Caleb sang the McCartney song.  P-f-f-ft.  I dunno.  lol

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Fri May 16, 2014 12:59 am

Well you have been calling the final two for quite awhile now.  My preference is Jena.  I just cannot warm up to Caleb.  I think Alex facial expressions and he always looked mad or unhappy cost him votes - I don't think it was his voice because he has a good voice.  JMO
SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by singlyme on Fri May 16, 2014 7:08 am

Alex had many fans and I agree that he's a fantastic talent.  Gena and Caleb, however, are BIG performers as well as singers.  I think that's what put them over the top.

Gena lost me a little by performing songs I'm not familiar with.  And in this age of rap, I'm not certain there's that great a market for Caleb's old-time rock 'n roll.

Who knows?  I'll be pleased regardless of which one takes the prize.  Any one of the final three had the potential to make it as an artist.  I'm so glad I watched this season.  New format, good judges, plenty of talent - and nothing to gritch about.   Love  Love

singlyme
Power User

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum