Season 26 - Athletes

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Season 26 - Athletes

Post by DeadManDancing on Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 pm

therealdfshary wrote:I'm bummed that Mirai was voted off. She was sooo much better than Tonya.  Darn
I'm not really surprised. It's the same situation as with Charlie and Meryl. Two skaters, sharing the same fan base. Not enough votes for both to advance, and that's what opened the gate for Tonya. Most of her votes did probably not come from skating fans.
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Tue May 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Babs2147 wrote:I'll be rooting for Josh & Sharna!  Sharna is overdue for a win.
You got it, sis! Vote for my girl, will you? High five
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Tue May 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Well I split my votes - Josh/Sharna, Tonya/Sasha. I do think Adam will win, he’s very popular but really all three are worthy winners.
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Tue May 15, 2018 1:37 pm

I gave my votes to Josh

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 pm

In that dance-off, the thing about Witney is she is very good at attracting attention to her dancing, the way she dances and her choreography.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 am

Lesallee wrote:I am a bit surprised at the elimination of Mirai and Alan. I really thought they would be in the F3. .....

I think she would have been in the final three if the producers had not forced the judges and America to choose between Mirai and Adam in the way they set up the dance-offs.  One of them had to lose and with points so close, the loser of that contest was going to go home.  

Had she had the third best scores going in the dance offs, she would have been paired against someone else and she would have won that round and entered the Finals.  

I hate Dance Offs.  They are manipulative. 

Saying that, I can also say that of the two, I chose Adam as the better dancer because he danced with more freedom and spontaneity.  

But at this point, I'm all-in for Josh.  

It's time for Sharna to hoist that damn MBT.   And I quite enjoy this team.  Josh is a very personable young man who is a surprisingly expressive dancer and Sharna is doing a fine job with him.
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 am

I'm glad Mirai and Adam aren't both in the finals.  It would be too predictable and blah.  They both don't need to be there.  I felt Tonya at least was a more memorable dancer than Mirai.  I think if it were a regular season Josh would have a better chance of winning, but he could win.  Adam is obviously a good dancer, but I think Josh is more memorable and has more pizzazz.  The skaters are small and move smaller.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma on Wed May 16, 2018 7:16 am

This season is going pretty much how I thought it would.I had a feeling about the winner right off and so far it is going according to plan.

I still think this short season is not as good as a full on contest but it has been just as predictable as always.
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Wed May 16, 2018 10:31 am

They probably did the short season because for some reason they couldn't or didn't want to do a full season, so they figured they would give us something as a substitute.  If waiting means we get better people on the show, that's okay for me.  I certainly didn't expect Tonya to be a finalist and thought that Mirai would be a finalist, so I thought that part was unpredictable.  We don't know yet if Adam will win.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Wed May 16, 2018 10:40 am

I understand American Idol is the reason for the abbreviated season. The network only had 4 weeks of space after they accomadated American Idol. Anyway, that’s what I have read in numerous places.
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Psychee22 wrote:
Lesallee wrote:I am a bit surprised at the elimination of Mirai and Alan. I really thought they would be in the F3. .....

I think she would have been in the final three if the producers had not forced the judges and America to choose between Mirai and Adam in the way they set up the dance-offs.  One of them had to lose and with points so close, the loser of that contest was going to go home.  

I see what you mean, but on the other hand having them compete in the dance-off makes up for the unfair advantage they had when they were put together in the team dance. In addition, any other setup would have been less fair. Adam vs Josh might have been an option, Mirai vs Jennie or Tonya rather not. I think there was nowhere else to go with the pairings.

Thanks for supporting Josh and Sharna, by the way. It's appreciated.
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 pm

I am beyond disappointed the finale will be just a one hour show w/ two dances each. These finalists would deserve more.
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb on Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Lesallee wrote:I understand American Idol is the reason for the abbreviated season. The network only had 4 weeks of space after they accomadated American Idol. Anyway, that’s what I have read in numerous places.
Which is too bad because for me Idol turned out to be quite boring.
peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 am

DeadManDancing wrote:
Psychee22 wrote:

I see what you mean, but on the other hand having them compete in the dance-off makes up for the unfair advantage they had when they were put together in the team dance. In addition, any other setup would have been less fair. Adam vs Josh might have been an option, Mirai vs Jennie or Tonya rather not. I think there was nowhere else to go with the pairings.

Thanks for supporting Josh and Sharna, by the way. It's appreciated.

You're welcome?  No, all kidding aside, they are now my favorite couple.

But going back to the dance-off thing... I agree that there is no objectively fair way to handle these dance-offs.  What seems fair from one perspective is not fair from another.  And besides that, I just HATE these things.  I do not want to have to pull my eyes off one couple just so I can see what the other is doing.  This just isn't entertaining to me.   In fact, it is just the opposite.  I feel like they have stolen something from me that I won't be able to get back until I watch the dance off twice more on YouTube, each time, just looking at one couple.
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakma on Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am

The dance off is unfair in that way,to the viewers at least.It is hard enough to watch a dance on television because of the camera angles let alone watch two couples at the same time.

If you are not trying to judge the dancing it is a different thing.
Oakma
Power User

Back to top Go down

New elimination procedure -- Is it time?

Post by Walker7 on Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 am

Psychee22 wrote:

Had she had the third best scores going in the dance offs, she would have been paired against someone else and she would have won that round and entered the Finals.  

I hate Dance Offs.  They are manipulative.

I also hate the manipulation, as well.  But, I think that the worst thing about the elimination is that it's always whoever has the lowest combined total that goes home.  It would be better if they would reveal the bottom 3 or 2, and during the last commercial break, the judges deliberate to decide who goes home.  After the break, they then say who they're going to keep.  This is important for early eliminations, as well as multiple eliminations on the same night.

Walker7

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Thu May 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Walker, I hear you. The only solution would be to bring back the results show, with bottom two based on scores and votes of the previous night, and leave the final decision to the judges like they do on Strictly. Does anyone think this is going to happen? It's not- because shows like this aren't meant to be fair. They feed from drama, surprise, sometimes even scandal; with all the collateral damage this means for good dancers going home too soon in some peoples opinion. This is a popularity contest. We still get good dancing though. 
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by suebob16 on Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 pm

I am okay with either Adam or Josh winning.  I will be happy if Sharna wins her first MBT, but at the same time I am sad that it would be for such a short season.  A regular season can turn a potentially winning team into a memorable one as we watch a partnership grow and develop.  I'm not sure how memorable this season is going to be.when we look back years later.  These athletes deserved a longer run.

I also agree about the dance offs--hate them too.
suebob16
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't always want the best dancer to win and I usually don't care for the dance room darlings.  There are different factors that play into who people want to win.  Sometimes people want someone who improves the most.  It could be part personality.  I don't care for goody goodies or you should win because you're an Olympic medal winner.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee on Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm

I must feel a connection to the star for them to become a favourite. And yeah, they need to be able to dance a lick or two also! 
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes, connection is important. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by luvthepros on Thu May 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Lesallee wrote:Jenna normally choreographs spectacular contemporary. For me, I repeat, for me it was a miss. And that has nothing to do with being peeved at Adam’s unnecessary comments about Tonya. I think he will win and he will be a worthy winner. However my votes will go elsewhere.

Perhaps I’m contemporaried out. 
I read on another forum Jenna did not choreograph their contemporary. The routine was choreographed by Talia Favia. She is the choreographer who choreographed Peta's freestyle with Nyle.
luvthepros

Back to top Go down

Post by skt8word on Fri May 18, 2018 1:57 am

I like watching Adam dance.  This guy has flair.  Mirai was good too but not really a standout to me.  She should not have been eliminated in my opinion, but that's the way it goes in these popularity contests unfortunately.  I didn't have high expectations of dancing ability from Tonya based on what I saw of her skating lol, so when I do see it, it's interesting to watch.  She wasn't in on the plan to target Nancy btw 20-some years ago.  She learned about it afterwards and didn't tell the authorities right away.  That's where she got in trouble.  She admitted to something else though in her interview on the ABC special Truth and Lies, which I was surprised she said after all these years.

I don't watch the other dancers, just the ice skaters.Smile
skt8word
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Fri May 18, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks for clarifying the Nancy/Tonya story.  That's the story I believe, especially after watching the movie.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by skt8word on Fri May 18, 2018 3:29 am

You're welcome. Very Happy
skt8word
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content