Olympics

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: Olympics

Post by bluechipdude Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 am

Well as Dandy Don Merideth used to sing on Monday night football when the game was pretty much over."The partys over it's time to call it a day." The 2018 Winter Olympics are over except for the closing ceremonies tonight. Canada managed to defeat the Checks for a bronze and ended up with 29 medals,while the US ended up with a disappointing 23.It was a great Winter Olympics and the rest of the world is getting very good at being competitive in sports such as hockey and curling that we used to dominate.Germany could have easily won that gold medal in hockey that the Russians did.The rest of the world is getting good at sports that a few used to dominate. Lesallee when you mentioned a tribute to Gordon Downie I had no idea who you were talking about until l looked it up on Wiki.Unless they were around from the 60s, I dunno know any of the more recent bands. That was a nice tribute that Tessa and Scott did to honor the late Gordon Downie.

bluechipdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 am

Yes, these Olympics have to termed a big success. Well, not in curling and hockey if you are Canadian! 

The skating gala was very enjoyable with a special poignancy to Tessa's and and Scott's skate. Given they were honouring Gord Downie, Canada's poet laureate of rock and it was likely their last dance it was emotional. 

I'm glad you researched Gord, blue. He was a remarkable man. The Tragically Hip's last concert pretty well had the entire country watching. How Gord kept going with the advanced stage of his cancer I don't know. The band never pursued American fame but they were known and recognized south of the border as this WaPo article illustrates.

Tragically Hip singer Gord Downie, poet laureate of Canadian rock, dies at 53 - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com › local

Oct. 18, 2017 · Gord Downie, poet laureate of Canadian rock music, dies at 53. ... Mr. Downie revealed his diagnosis last year through a message on the Tragically Hip's website. To the groups's fervent admirers, Mr. Downie and his band were as closely linked to Canada as the Beatles are to England or the U2 singer Bono is to Ireland.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:57 am

Kaetlyn Osmond's exhibition skate at the 2018 Olympic Gala.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/highlights/katelyn-osmond-dazzles-figure-skating-exhibition-gala/index.html
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top