Week 9, "Showstoppers" Week - Page 2 Empty Re: Week 9, "Showstoppers" Week

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:17 am

James is amazing.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:50 am

The boys didn't have a good night. I had high hopes for the paso but I just don't think that the cowboy theme goes with the paso movements. Those Western themes are beloved by Utah girl Lindsay and I hope that she learns to use them with more restraint (after the experience last season with Wanya I'm surprised she decided to have another go with it).

James dance was fun but required a lot of synchronization and his error was very visible. Hopefully Sharna will feel better and come back to crack the whip for the last two weeks.

Lindsay played it a little too safe with the waltz: she had an amazing song that could relate to Calvin's experience as a top athlete that is forced to retire because the body can not respond the same anymore. Calvin's performance was lovely but lacked emotional depth. Even with Terra's limitations I would prefer for her to be on the finals over Calvin.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Babs2147 wrote:
Lesallee wrote:Oh you'll never be out of the family, sis. You are stuck with us. To each his or her own and all that! I will just like Jana and you won't, no biggie. 

The important thing is Team StopAndGo and we are in complete agreement ther  
I loved Jana and Gleb's dances tonight, sis.  They're my second favorite team after Team StopAndGo. Sister Kincaid
is entitled to her opinion.   After all, she's done a heck of a job as mayor. Let's all unite in the hope that Sharna's
knee will be healed for the finals.  She's overdue for the MBT! Smile
What's up- trouble in the family? No need for that right now. I hope everyone has voted for President Hinch and First Lady Sharna!
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:51 pm

The scoring of the individual dances was a bit all over the place. I appreciate the perfect score for Jana, because that was a great routine and had the emotional depth that Calvin (as bailadora mentioned) was lacking.
 I would have scored Laurie a tad lower. As I expected, she was good technically, but there were moments of hesitation and once she almost missed Val's hand. (See Julianne, I can get picky, too.) The femme fatale doesn't sit well on her. And Val, that lift where she was flying into you backwards was stolen from Meryl and Maks! At least, the rest was from your own previous routines- mostly Janel and Rumer. In other words, repetitive.
I could accept the nines for James, because there was a mistake. But then, how in the world does Terra get two tens solely based on performance level? From that angle, James was at least equal! Sasha has brilliantly helped Terra to work around her limitations, but the basic element of the Charleston is the swivel action, and it wasn't there. So her tens were like special treatment, but at this point, the judges should pick the most deserving dancers for the finals. Sorry, Terra doesn't belong there. Craig on Strictly would have scored a five or a six there.
Marilu did improve from the last few weeks, but this wasn't all nines. It was a bit stiff and jerky in places. It was a relief though to see her enjoy herself.
Now how to compare or rank the team dances? The Paso has strict requirements, whereas Contemporary and Jazz allow much more freedom. However, the scores were closer to the truth in the second round. Contemporary tends to get overscored on this show, but it was hands down the best team dance. Finally I saw a new side of Laurie, and it was Jana- not Val- who helped bringing it out. There were moments when these two together reminded me of Maddie Ziegler and Allison Holker, and I didn't even see much of Val and Gleb. James and Calvin though were definitely more than one point better than Marilu and Terra. Sasha and Derek just threw it all in, stirred it, and sold it as Jazz. Only
it wasn't- especially compared to James' individual dance.
Finally, I'm not really sure what to make of Idina's judging. She talked a lot, yet didn't say much. If they can't do without that, I prefer Pitbull. That's it, folks.

DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Completely agree with DMD regarding Idina. She's a great Broadway singer but is not known for any role that requires dancing. Hope that the show would invite a great all-around Broadway performer as a guest judge. I would be in heaven if the legendary Chita Rivera was ever invited. She trained with Balanchine and Fosse, was the original Anita in West Side Story and the original Velma in Chicago (among many, many other roles), and is wickedly funny.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by piratealikat Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:18 am

bailadora wrote:Completely agree with DMD regarding Idina. She's a great Broadway singer but is not known for any role that requires dancing. Hope that the show would invite a great all-around Broadway performer as a guest judge. I would be in heaven if the legendary Chita Rivera was ever invited. She trained with Balanchine and Fosse, was the original Anita in West Side Story and the original Velma in Chicago (among many, many other roles), and is wickedly funny.
OMG....Chita Rivera would be awesome!  Fosse rules!

piratealikat
piratealikat

Back to top Go down

Post by Babs2147 Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:53 pm

There's no one more qualified to be a guest judge than the great Chita Rivera! Applause
Babs2147
Babs2147
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top