The Sky Box

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Sky Box

Post by GymGirlJane on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:29 am

Do not misunderstand.  The vast majority of gymnasts live perfectly ordinary lives.  except they go to practice a few hours every week.  You do not start gymnastics at age 4 thinking you are going to go the elite route or training as if you were.

Its only the elite girls -- or girls trying to get into elite -- who have to train in a way that basically eliminates normal life.  Even the girls who become college gymnasts (these are typically level 10 girls or even level 9 in lesser Divisions) get to live normal lifestyles and train at the same time.

But because of the skill involved at even the lower levels of the sport I do not think there are many girls there due to parental pressure.  Girls do gymnastics because they love it.  It is a terrific sport -- on competitive and non-competitive levels.  It gives girls a real sense of strength and power and instills an ethic of discipline and hard work. 

Moreover, the girls with serious elite potential are recognized very early on.  No one encourages fantasy along those lines.  Go to your basic local gym.  You will simply find girls who love the sport.

Nothing at all tragic about it.

There is for sure something sad about the girls who did break into the elite ranks (or nearly) but never made it to worlds or the olympics.  But they had their own successes and then have the option of an NCAA career.  The college gymnasts are an extremely happy bunch of girls who get college paid for, get to have an extreme "team" experience, all while training at a much easier level than elite.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:29 am

Miss Pi -- where are all the other skybox ladies??????

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:52 am

I am so happy that Laurie won tonight, but I felt so bad for James.  In my opinion, he and Laurie were so close it was almost impossible to choose one to win the mirror ball. 

Also, Calvin worked very hard and came a long way from the first of the season when he wasn't very sure of himself.  He had the most improvement I think of the rest of the group. 

But that little elf Laurie really deserved the win.  She was almost flawless in her dances and had almost preternatural ability to to be able to keep up with Val. 

It's over too soon, but all good things must come to an end. I hope to see all you guys again in February when the next season begins.  We will start wondering and researching who the stars will be soon enough. 

See you all for Season 24!

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Feces.Hurling.Monkey on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:30 am

SweetTart wrote:I am so happy that Laurie won tonight, but I felt so bad for James.  In my opinion, he and Laurie were so close it was almost impossible to choose one to win the mirror ball. 

Suck it up Buttercup; this is what happens when the winner is based on an opinion.

Feces.Hurling.Monkey
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:55 pm

I so hated to hear about the death of that sweet lady Florence Henderson. I saw her in the audience on DWTS on Monday night, the night that Maureen got eliminated.  She was in the audience a lot as she really enjoyed doing the show.  She will be greatly missed in a world full of hate, and ridicule and bullying, she was a beacon of light who always had a smile on her sweet face.  Rest in Peace Dear Lady.   Applause

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum