The Sky Box

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Sky Box

Post by Glittersisgld on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Don't different strategies work on different people?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Don't different strategies work on different people?
Yeah, probably, everyone's not alike.  But it sounded like a good idea!  LOL  Does anybody have any info about what they're doing tomorrow night?  Hopefully we can have some of Miss SLA's poTcorn for our watch parties tomorrow night?  Woo Hoo!  Miss SLA....calling Miss SLA!! 
OMG!  It just dawned on me!  Tomorrow night is Halloween!  I bet most of our ladies will be doing trick or treats with their kids and grandkids!  That means we'll also have lots of candy for our sweet cravings after our poTcorn!  YAY!!! LOL 

Trick or treat everyone!

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:29 pm

For tomorrow night, I replaced the limo by a hearse. DeadMan likes to ride in style when he goes dancing on Halloween. Cool

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by piratealikat on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:14 pm

LOL  My door will be open for trick or treating until 7:59 pm.  If they want candy they better be here before then.  It's not that I don't want to be interrupted....my TV is in my Family Room, which is in the basement.  I'm not running up and down stairs all night.  Sheesh!

I'm so excited...departure time is almost upon me!  Leave Tuesday morning for Las Vegas and the PBR Finals!  Yee Haw!  Of course, I have to get up at 3:30 am in order to be at the airport at 5:00 am....sigh....I'm used to going to bed about that time, not getting up.  Not sure I'll sleep anyway...too excited!

Happy Halloween!!!!!!!!

piratealikat

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:25 pm

There are only 3 reasons to get up that early in the morning.  Sex, money or travel.  Wheee!

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:12 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:There are only 3 reasons to get up that early in the morning.  Sex, money or travel.  Wheee!
You forgot that 3 am is the witching hour when the ghosts and spirits come out and start messing with you.  Also that's usually the time I have to get up to go to the bathroom!  LOL

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:15 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:For tomorrow night, I replaced the limo by a hearse. DeadMan likes to ride in style when he goes dancing on Halloween. Cool

Nice wheels!  What is everybody dressing up as?

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:56 am

I thought about borrowing the Trump wig from Geraldo, but then I got an e-mail from Hillary's private account asking me to do without it. Maybe she's right. Enough horror clowns in this world already. So I came up with this (doesn't even require too much make-up for me).

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:04 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:I thought about borrowing the Trump wig from Geraldo, but then I got an e-mail from Hillary's private account asking me to do without it. Maybe she's right. Enough horror clowns in this world already. So I came up with this (doesn't even require too much make-up for me).

DMD all you have to do is put a totally insane look on your face and go around hollering....It's Jooohhnnnnnnnny!  Easy Peazy!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:45 pm

Dancing order tonight:
Terra
Laurie
Marilu
Calvin
Ryan
Jana
James

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:33 pm

omg Laurie!!!!

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:09 pm

I'll go as myself with a migraine, that'll scare the hell out of everyone.

peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:13 pm

GymGirlJane wrote:omg Laurie!!!!

Your girl did great, GGJ.  I enjoyed that dance.

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:39 am

First of all, I hope you all noticed by the opening number that it was DeadMan's party! Thanks to abc for the unexpected honour.
Bad costume choice, Calvin. A skeleton can never win DWTS, because it has no body to dance with... (I hope Lindsay doesn't take this the wrong way).
Great fun anyway.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:48 am

Psychee22 wrote:
GymGirlJane wrote:omg Laurie!!!!

Your girl did great, GGJ.  I enjoyed that dance.
I believe she took the week off from the Kellogs Tour.  It likely made the difference.   She has just been stretched a bit too thin.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:12 pm

DeadMan, I thought the same thing when I saw all the decorations, and especially Calvin in that dead man suit!  LOL  I know you wouldn't be caught "dead" in it...hahahaha...but it was still a dead man!  Thanks for the hearse-o-sine!  My first ride in one!  Veddy interesting! 

Miss Jane, lovely Laurie is going to take the mirror ball, in my opinion, with James coming in second!  They are both equally as good, but she just shakes her tail feathers a little bit cuter than he does. 

Miss Peebeeb, did you frighten anyone with your migraine?  Do you remember seeing the chartreuse Power Girl at the party?  That was me!  I bet no one even recognized me!  tee hee

Who's going home tonight?  It's getting down to the nitty gritty now!  Only good dancers left, including Marilu who went home last week!  Yikes! Should be a good show tonight.  See ya'll soon.

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:04 pm

SweetTart wrote:

Miss Jane, lovely Laurie is going to take the mirror ball, in my opinion, with James coming in second!  They are both equally as good, but she just shakes her tail feathers a little bit cuter than he does. 

I think you are totally right Miss Tart.  I will be very surprised if Laurie does not win this thing.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by piratealikat on Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:57 am

Can we have a tie for the Mirror Ball Trophy...pretty please? Ugh...I want both James and Laurie to win. 

We've really had a spectacular group of dancers this season, haven't we?  Terra did a fantastic job on the Rumba and Trio dance tonight.  Was sorry to see her go. 

Can't believe the season is almost over.  Where did time go?  I can tell you this...I'm already tired of wet weather and being cold.  It's going to be a loooonnngggg winter!

piratealikat

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:37 pm

GymGirlJane wrote:
SweetTart wrote:

I think you are totally right Miss Tart.  I will be very surprised if Laurie does not win this thing.
With all necessary respect, I hope this season holds a surprise for you.
@ Miss Pi: if my favorites don't win, it's going to be a really long winter...

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:07 am

DeadManDancing wrote:
GymGirlJane wrote:

With all necessary respect, I hope this season holds a surprise for you.

Its actually quite fine with me if it does Deadman.  I am just really glad to see Laurie killing it on DWTS and having such a good time.  The athletes that go on this show are not all that invested in winning.  (except that they are of course competitive by nature so they want to win whatever they are doing at the moment but the Mirrorball Trophy means very very little to them in the long run if it means anything at all) It does not matter for their careers.  In the particular case of the gymnasts they are looking to blow off stress after the grueling experience of the Olympics.  And they are looking to have some fun and most importantly generate publicity for themselves so they can pick up more endorsements for whatever remains of their very short lived pro careers.  They are looking for exposure and they get it whether they win or not.  Making it into the semi finals is really all they need. Even Laurie with her charm and natural musicality likely does not have any "crossover" ability.  These girls never make the leap from athlete to entertainer.  Its not what they (or their agents) are looking for.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:36 am

No offense Jane. I was sure you'd get it.

But seriously, how many years can she still do it, and what are the chances for a retired gymnast's (or any other top athlete's) career other than becoming a trainer? I mean, these years of dedication and hard work, at the same time missing a lot of the experience and education other kids get, and all of that culminating in 'grueling Olympics' if you're lucky- not sure if that's worth it. Meryl Davis said it takes a certain level of insanity to win a medal, and she may be right there.

Speaking of experience, for Laurie and other adolescent contestants DWTS is like a crash course from girl to woman in twelve weeks. Maybe not the kind of welcome distraction they expected. The show may be fun to watch, but doing it can be mentally and physically exhausting even for athletes. Kristi Yamaguchi called it a shocker. Aiming at the semi-final at least, you have to be back in competitive mode, or you'll be gone week three. Laurie is no exception, or why would she complain about low scores and rehearse the heck out of every dance?

However, she is holding herself well, and even though she's not my favorite, I could respect it if she wins fair and square. But she's not the only athlete in the finals (which is no coincidence imo), and the mirrorball means just as much or little to the other two in the long run. I doubt they even think about that. Right now they are competing and living in the moment, because that's what athletes do; be it parallel bars, football field, or the cockpit of a race car. May the best one win. I predict it will be an athlete.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Deadman, this is the whole tragedy of the sport of Women's Artistic Gymnastics.  Girls trying to make it to the Elite Level basically give their entire life over to the sport.  Hours and hours and hours of practice, frequently they have to be home schooled, no social life etc etc.  

With something like 100,000 girls in the JO USA Gymnastics program 5 (and now 4) will get to the Olympics every 4 years. Usually there are somewhere in between 20 and 30 girls on the national teams (Junior and senior combined)

In other words it is insanely competitive.

So after giving up basically everything, and pushing their bodies well passed anything most people can even wrap their heads around for years, even the very very few who make it to the Elite Level are pretty much done by age 20.

The upside to that is of course that they can still go and and have a different life.  Thats why I am a big fan of the NCAA.  It provides a bridge between gymnastics and a "real" life and I think it makes the transition easier.  But Laurie is pro so thats out for her.

She can, however, go to college and do what Jordyn Wieber did -- become a team "manager."  So you do not compete with the team or get scholarship $$ but you get to hang with the team, be a real part of it, work out when the other girls are not in the gym and go through college.

Girls like Simone and Aly will make millions of dollars.  But they still have to figure out life after gymnastics.  If they want to stay in the sport they can of course as coaches.  

Its tough, thats all I can say.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:44 pm

Sounds tough indeed, and the real tragedy is about the countless ones who never make the top spot in spite of all efforts. I tend to think it's irresponsible to force kids into competitive sports at all. Parents always pretend the kids want that, but first and foremost, kids want to make Mum and Dad proud.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by piratealikat on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:07 am

OH GOOD HEAVENS!  CAN WE PLEASE HAVE THE FIRST EVER TIE FOR THE MIRROR BALL TROPHY?  Ugh. 

Tonight was a really great night.  I'm a little shocked that Jana went home.  She is a beautiful dancer, although she really didn't move me much.  I do hope Gleb doesn't blame himself and his being sick/stumbling for their elimination.  It truly wasn't that...and he did a fantastic job with Jana.  I hope we get to see him again. 

Another shock of the night for me:  Calvin!  When he actually stands up throughout the whole Viennese Waltz he is splendid!  How far he's come!  And kudos to Lindsay for a fantastic Freestyle!

It was a crying shame that James tripped???? over Sharna in the Foxtrot.  That was a wonderful dance, despite the error.  And that Freestyle?  Sharna...you outdid yourself.  What a clever concept, brilliant choreography, and wonderful story telling.  Amazing.

Laurie is just so dang cute.  Her poise when she dances is off the charts.  No matter what style, she throws everything she has into it and it shows.  I'm also now addicted to her giggle!

For me it comes down to Laurie and James.  It's a tough choice, but I think I have to tip it to James.  From the very beginning, he has shown that he was taking this very seriously, right down to gracefully moving his hands.  If Sharna said "do this" James did it, without worrying about whether or not it looked like a move "a guy" would make.  He has amazing performance skills, is a beautiful dancer and has come a looong way from the man in a hospital room 18 months ago, who might or might not have ever walked again.  I think his journey was the longest and hardest, and that tips it for me. 

piratealikat

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:12 am

DeadManDancing wrote:Sounds tough indeed, and the real tragedy is about the countless ones who never make the top spot in spite of all efforts. I tend to think it's irresponsible to force kids into competitive sports at all. Parents always pretend the kids want that, but first and foremost, kids want to make Mum and Dad proud.

I wonder, though, how many of these kids needed the gymnastics in order to channel their natural hyperactivity.  For a hyperactive kid, gymnastics must feel like freedom to fly.   I think Shawn's parents put her into gymnastics for that reason.

Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum