The Sky Box

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sky Box

Post by piratealikat on Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi!  Thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing!  Please Miss Jane...do the gymnastics commentary/critique.  I love gymnastics...was never very good at it......and want to hear what you think! 

Managed to get in 3 rides so far.  Only.  Got the okay to ride end of May, got in 2 nice ones, then the rains hit, then allergy season hit me mid June (instead of April/May) and vertigo became my new friend.   Dizzy Dizzy Dizzy Dizzy Cant ride well with vertigo.  Did finally get a 200 mile lunch ride in this last Saturday.  It was a tad long for not having much seat time, but soooooooooo worth it!

Saw the Doc mid July.  I don't have to see him again unless a problem crops up.  I do have to wear my brace for riding until September....after that I'm good to go.  Also in September, we start dance class again and this year I get to do it all!  I'm head of the Musical Theatre group!  I not only get to choreograph I get to write the scenes!  If I WEAR my brace, Doc says I can dance my heart out with them!  Woo hoo!

How are you guys doing this summer?  Having fun?  Miss you all!

piratealikat

Back to top Go down

Re: The Sky Box

Post by DeadManDancing on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Hello Miss Pi, I really thought by now you would have made thousands of miles- I was wrong, apparently. But dancing sounds like a great alternative.
Me, I'm currently on my summer vacation. Spending it at home, which is safer than travelling these days. No need to travel anyway when you live in the Black Forest. Looking forward to your comments on season 23!

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi Miss Tart .....how do you block a poster so you don't have to read their posts?

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:36 pm

kincaid53 wrote:    Hi Miss Tart .....how do you block a poster so you don't have to read their posts?
Miss Kincaid, go to the choices above (Home, Gallery, Member List, etc.) and click on Profile.  When you get to that page, click on Friends & Foes.  When it gets to that page, it gives you instructions on how to list your friends and your foes.  The ones you don't want to see their posts and you don't want to get messages from go under foes.  It will block them from your profile.  Everyone else will see them, but you won't.

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:38 pm

Thank you Miss Pi, you are a good friend.

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:40 pm

piratealikat wrote:Hi!  Thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing!  Please Miss Jane...do the gymnastics commentary/critique.  I love gymnastics...was never very good at it......and want to hear what you think! 

Managed to get in 3 rides so far.  Only.  Got the okay to ride end of May, got in 2 nice ones, then the rains hit, then allergy season hit me mid June (instead of April/May) and vertigo became my new friend.   Dizzy Dizzy Dizzy Dizzy Cant ride well with vertigo.  Did finally get a 200 mile lunch ride in this last Saturday.  It was a tad long for not having much seat time, but soooooooooo worth it!

Saw the Doc mid July.  I don't have to see him again unless a problem crops up.  I do have to wear my brace for riding until September....after that I'm good to go.  Also in September, we start dance class again and this year I get to do it all!  I'm head of the Musical Theatre group!  I not only get to choreograph I get to write the scenes!  If I WEAR my brace, Doc says I can dance my heart out with them!  Woo hoo!

How are you guys doing this summer?  Having fun?  Miss you all!
Dance away and have a blast. May you continue healing and may it be quickly.

peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Congrats are in order for the lovely Kym and the handsome Robert on their marriage over the weekend. 

Hope they have a beautifully happy life together, dancing along life's pathways.

peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:12 pm

piratealikat wrote:Hi!  Thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing!  Please Miss Jane...do the gymnastics commentary/critique.  I love gymnastics...was never very good at it......and want to hear what you think! 

I would love to do the gymnastics commentary for my SkyBox friends.  But here is the problem.  I have to leave this sunday (right in the middle of women's qualifications) on a week long business trip.  So Qualifications, Team finals and AA will happen while I am in the middle of a very busy situation and will not be able to comment until after I get back.  But I should be ok for Event Finals.

Podium Training is this thursday and I will be watching live from my office.  I will let you ladies know how that goes.  Its very important this year because there are big questions about who will be in the lineup for AA.  Most likely it will be Simone (thats a sure thing), laurie hernandez and gabby Douglas.  With Aly raisman sitting out UB.  But Gabby was totally off her game for both nationals and Olympic trials.  So if she does not improve by Podium Training they might shift things around.  Also -- they might give the AA nod to Aly and keep laurie out.  We shall see.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:18 pm

OK

So podium training just finished for the WAG.  Gabby was fine.  Laurie hernandez was shaky though and had a horrible bars set.  No one was great on BB but it was their last rotation and I think they were all just tired.  mentally as well as physically.  Its clear that Simone, Gabby and Aly will be doing AA in prelims.  Laurie will sit out bars.  Thats the news.  They have tomorrow off (which they need, they all looked so tired) and then practice Saturday for prelims on Sunday.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:21 am

GymGirlJane wrote:OK

So podium training just finished for the WAG.  Gabby was fine.  Laurie hernandez was shaky though and had a horrible bars set.  No one was great on BB but it was their last rotation and I think they were all just tired.  mentally as well as physically.  Its clear that Simone, Gabby and Aly will be doing AA in prelims.  Laurie will sit out bars.  Thats the news.  They have tomorrow off (which they need, they all looked so tired) and then practice Saturday for prelims on Sunday.
The Olympics start tonight!    Fireworks Excited   It's SO exciting!  I've been watching the Olympics all of my life!  It's MUST SEE TV for me.  Miss Jane, did I read correctly?  Laurie is out?  Or is she just out of the AA's?  I couldn't tell from the blurb message I got on my phone!  I hope she's not out altogether, that would be so sad.  It won't be too long until DWTS is back on as well.  September 12!  That's a week earlier than usual!   Jumping up and down   Yay!   I hope all the Sky Box ladies and all of our good friends who visit us are having a wonderful summer so far.  Actually, in some places school is starting next week!  NOOOOOOOOO that's too soon!  I guess in the northern states school has to start earlier because of snow and weather days.  We don't usually have that problem in the south!  See ya'll at the Olympics and again on Sept. 12 for the new season of DWTS!

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Laurie is very much in Miss Tart.  She will, however, not compete Bars in prelims, so she will not have a chance to make the AA finals.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:12 pm

GymGirlJane wrote:Laurie is very much in Miss Tart.  She will, however, not compete Bars in prelims, so she will not have a chance to make the AA finals.
Oh great!  Thanks Miss Jane, I was worried that she got cut.  Good to know she's not!  ROFL Thanks

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi everybody - just got this email from ABC and Kim and Robert are Married!!!!  Here is the link to the article in People:

http://www.people.com/article/kym-johnson-robert-herjavec-wedding?om_mid=_BXpyLIB9Q01gdS&om_swid=ABkA0A&cid=email_Insider_160807

SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm SO glad our "Final Five" won the gymnastic team gold in Rio yesterday!  How great is that?  I'm betting they will win some individual gold as well, including all around!  And also our beach volleyball girls, Kerri and April are tearing it up on the sand! 

USA is ahead in the medal count and also have the most gold medals so far!  And how about Michael Phelps?  That guy is the energizer bunny!! 

I'm loving the Olympics so far and watch as much as I can.  Where is Miss Jane for our gymnastic commentary!  Woo hoo Miss Jane are you back from your business trip yet?  Can't wait for your thoughts on the girls.

I hope everyone is staying cool right now as the weather is wicked hot!  Stay out of trouble, because I don't have bail money, and see ya'll again in a few days.

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:16 am

I am back Miss Tart.  You all know of course that the US girls won Team Finals by a margin of 8.2.  Unheard of.  This is gymnastics, not football folks.  We have taken over in Artistic Gymnastics.  No one can beat us or even pretend to try.  All due to Marta Karolyi and the semi-centralized system she brought to USA Gymnastics.  She retires after this Olympics, but the system she created will live on.  How her loss will impact the national team remains to be seen.  Marta also had an uncanny intuition almost when it came to the sport.

As far as the AA, what a total joy to see Simone and Aly take gold and silver.  Simone was a lock for the gold.  Aly was not a lock.  At least we did not realize she was.  Simone is Simone, not much more that I can say.  But Aly upped her game considerably from 2012 and proved herself to be the most determined, hardworking gymnast of our time.  At the age of 22 she threw the best Amanars she ever threw.  Her D score on floor was even higher than in 2012.  That first pass defies the laws of physics.  She won that silver which is what she set out to do.

Simone won AA by a margin of 2.1.  This is almost unheard of in this sport.  But they are exxagerating it when saying that it is higher than the combined margins from 1980 through 2012 because until 2008 they were using the 10 point scoring system which resulted in smaller margins.  The apt comparison is from 2008 on.  The difference is still stark.  In 2008 Nastia won by a margin of .6 and in 2012 Gabby Douglas won by a margin of .259.  This year Simone won by a margin of 2.109 over Aly who in turn won by a margin of 1.43.  Simone is just in a totally different league from Nastia and a different universe from Gabby Douglas.

And btw, very not impressed with the unsportsmanlike behavior of their teammate Gabby Douglas.

Today we have the Vault and UB finals.  I predict a medal for Simone on vault, but not necessarily the gold.  If she vaults the way she did in prelims she will take gold.  Otherwise silver.  If Hong gets around that TTY (Amanar plus an extra half twist) she has been doing in practice and Simone is not in top form, Hong could easily take gold because the start value or D value is 6.8 v.s. 6.4 for the Amanar.  They both do a cheng for their 2d vault.   But I saw a training video of Hong doing her TTy and her coach was more than spotting her.  So, we shall see.  Paseka and Steingruber in the mix for bronze.  Paseka for silver too actually.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:58 pm

YAY Miss Jane is back.  Flowers  Thanks for the commentary on the events that have happened so far.  It makes it so much easier to understand what's going on when someone explains the scoring and you learn that winning by a margin of 8.2 is even better than you thought!  Our girls are extraordinary and a couple of them are young enough to go to Japan in 4 years!  That would be awesome!  Japan could be Laurie's turn to be favorite!  It would be awesome to think we could have as good as team in 2020, as this year.  I agree with you Miss Jane, I was disappointed in Gabby's behavior.  It was so unprofessional, and just childish for her to disrespect our flag and National Anthem like that.  She lost me as a fan when she did that.  Was it just me, or did she kind of dis her teammates too?  It's not their fault she didn't do as well as they did.  I would think that falls right in her lap, and nothing to do with her teammates.  Evidently she didn't prepare as well as the others did.  Simone is flawless!  Do you think she might go to Japan in 2020 as well?  I can't remember her age, is she 19?  Thanks again for being back and for your commentary, and we will be watching tonight for the wrap up of the women's gymnastics, hopefully with two more gold medals when it's over!   Cheer

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SLA44 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:49 pm

DWTS premieres Sept. 12th  - I wonder when they are going to start revealing the cast?

SLA44
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:27 pm

SweetTart wrote:YAY Miss Jane is back.  Flowers  Thanks for the commentary on the events that have happened so far.  It makes it so much easier to understand what's going on when someone explains the scoring and you learn that winning by a margin of 8.2 is even better than you thought!  Our girls are extraordinary and a couple of them are young enough to go to Japan in 4 years!  That would be awesome!  Japan could be Laurie's turn to be favorite!  It would be awesome to think we could have as good as team in 2020, as this year.  I agree with you Miss Jane, I was disappointed in Gabby's behavior.  It was so unprofessional, and just childish for her to disrespect our flag and National Anthem like that.  She lost me as a fan when she did that.  Was it just me, or did she kind of dis her teammates too?  It's not their fault she didn't do as well as they did.  I would think that falls right in her lap, and nothing to do with her teammates.  Evidently she didn't prepare as well as the others did.  Simone is flawless!  Do you think she might go to Japan in 2020 as well?  I can't remember her age, is she 19?  Thanks again for being back and for your commentary, and we will be watching tonight for the wrap up of the women's gymnastics, hopefully with two more gold medals when it's over!   Cheer
well, except its not wrapping up yet.  Simone won Gold in Vault Finals about 1/2 hour ago.  In  a few minutes UBs finals will start.  we have two finalists in it -- Maddie Kocian and gabby.  Both likely to medal.  

But then Monday is Beam and Tuesday if FX.  Simone and Laurie are Beam finalists and Simone and Aly are in the floor final.

As far as gabby she totally "dissed" Aly and Simone .  She barely reacted when they took gold and silver on AA.  I have no use for her to be honest.  She was a good gymnast, not a great one, she had her moment.  Its over.  If she had some character it would be fine, but she does not.  No generosity of spirit, no decorum.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Bars final just ended.  Aliya Mustafina took Gold for which I was delighted.  She was the UB Gold medalist in 2012 Olympics as well.  And I believe she is now retiring.  Her score was 15.9

Our Madison Kocian was close with 15.833 and a stuck dismount for silver.

Sophie Scheder from germany took brionze.

Gabby had a bad routine and came in 7th out of 8.  Can't say I care.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by SweetTart on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:33 pm

GymGirlJane wrote:Bars final just ended.  Aliya Mustafina took Gold for which I was delighted.  She was the UB Gold medalist in 2012 Olympics as well.  And I believe she is now retiring.  Her score was 15.9

Our Madison Kocian was close with 15.833 and a stuck dismount for silver.

Sophie Scheder from germany took brionze.

Gabby had a bad routine and came in 7th out of 8.  Can't say I care.
Oh good, two more days of gymnastics!  Well, we got a gold and silver today, that's pretty darn good! Then we can get two more medals and will be proud of whatever they are!  It's always sad when it's over b/c you have to wait 4 years for the next one!  Some of us are going to be a little more wrinkled by that time!  LOL  Thanks for all the commentary and information.  It's more fun when you know more about what you're watching!  Can't wait for the rest of beach volleyball too.  Kerri and April are doing so good!  GO USA!!

SweetTart
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:27 pm

a few words about the vault final.  I believe it was the first time ever the U.S. won Gold on this event -- thanks to Simone Biles.   She threw an excellent -- albeit unstuck -- Amanar and Cheng.

Two women did Produnovas.  The Produnova is an extremely difficult (D score 7.0) and actually quite dangerous vault.  The prod is basically a front handspring off the vault table and 2 1/2 somersaults post flight.  Its dangerous because if you don't enough height in the post flight  you can break your neck   literally.  So the great vaulters never try it -- they simply do not need the higher D Score and won't risk that level of injury.  But its a thrill to watch people try it.  Oksana Chusovitinia (41 years of age, yes she is 41 years of age) did it as her second vault in the final and landed it.  But then she had to do a foward flip out of it.  She scored a 14.733 (out of a possible 17).  Dipa Karamakar from India also did the Prod.  She actually landed it but almost immediately went down on her butt.  She was scored a 15.266.

Simone would never ever do a Prod.  She does not need to simple as that.  I know she was practising a tripe twist Yurcheko but stopped that as well -- no need for the risk even on that (because it add a 1/2 twist to the Amanar there is a bigger chance of basically blowing out your knee cap)

some folks remarked that this vault EF was not so much a competttion to see who would win, but to see who would not die.  :-)

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:14 am

OK.  Beam finals were yesterday.  Sanne Wevers from Netherlands took Gold.  Our Laurie Hernandez took Silver.  Simone had a near fall (her hands touched the beam to stay on and so it gets the same deduction as a fall) and took bronze.  

I'm just not sure how I feel about Sanne's beam.  She minimizes the acrobatics and maximizes turns and spins.  Its like ballet on the BB.  So it was for sure great in the eyes of people who appreciate the artistry more than the power moves and also the majority of others who just appreciated the distinct style.

Anyway, kudos to laurie -- she adds silver on beam to her team gold and thus completes an outstanding first Olympics games.  I am sure she will continue to compete elite and be a stand out in the next quad.

As for Simone -- the "she can take five gold medals" things was ridiculous from the start.  She's made history folks.  The greatest woman gymnast ever.  And she just proved it yet again by medaling in an event where she got a full point taken off for a "fall."

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Hooray for this guy. Ending on the highest note. Fabian Hambuechen, horizontal bar gold medalist.

DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:27 pm

OK -- a little late with my final report for WAG at the Olympics Miss Tart.  You all know by now that Simone Biles took Gold and Aly Raisman tool Silver on the floor final.

Simone actually wobbled a bit on her last tumbling run, and still finished with a score of 15.966 -- more than a full point over Amy Tinkler of Great Britain who won the bronze.  Aly scored 15.5

Simone is a great gymnast.  For sure the greatest of our time, possible ever.  Everyone in the gymnastics world knew that -- but now, thanks to her performance at the Olympics (Team Gold, AA Gold, Vault Gold, Floor Gold and Beam Bronze) the world knows it.

But watching Aly in Rio was  a personal thrill for me.  I really never thought her comeback was going to be a successful one.  I basically thought she had peaked in 2012 and that an AA medal was just out of her reach at this point.  Aly won Gold on Floor in 2012 -- and that would not have been possible for her this year because she is not capable of taking over Simone on that event (or any event).  But thats not why she came back.  She came back because she wanted an AA medal and she took the Silver.  Her difficulty level on floor increased over 2012 and she seemed stronger.  But more importantly her form on every event -- most notably on Vault -- was vastly improved from 2012.  Even floor.  Much cleaner landings, less leg separation in the air.  Did I even see pointed toes?????

Go Aly!!!  Go Simone!!! The whole team did well obviously, but Simone and Aly are the big stars.

GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by peebeeb on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:56 pm

It's been fun watching the games!

Amazing athletes all over the place.  Very Happy

peebeeb
Power User

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top