Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 2 Empty Re: Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Post by kincaid53 Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Right off the top of my head , Jodie Sweetin last season during Disney week....She said she couldn't hear the music start before her Cha Cha with Keo. Crying or Very sad

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 2 Empty Re: Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek

Post by kincaid53 Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:23 pm

She said that she appreciated their enthusiasm and put it on herself.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:13 am

It happened to Bindi in the Ghostbusters' dance, too.... and several times to other dancers over the years.  As you know, the music cue is a soft cymbal-like sound, a high frequency tick--tick--tick-- and then the music starts. When the pros expect a problem with it, they arrange to have a crew member with an earpiece give the dancers an additional visual cue, but that isn't always done. 

There is also a problem with hearing during eliminations and the announcement of the winner.  The poor folks onstage can't hear the announcements with all the audience noise going on and have to take their cues from elsewhere. 

I've often felt that the cast should be given some kind of invisible electronic earpiece that is turned on when they need it and turned off when they don't.  It seems a shame that they can be perpetually wired up with ambulatory mics while the need for ear pieces goes unaddressed. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:15 am

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 2 Derek_10
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Now who is the gymnast this season?
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 pm

DeadManDancing wrote:Now who is the gymnast this season?

Isn't that an incredible shot?  He often jumps over his partners while they are standing up with only their heads bowed, and it goes by so fast that we don't get a chance to marvel at his height.  But with Marilu bowing, Derek looks like he is freaking flying.

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:06 pm

kincaid53 wrote:       I agree with dmd on not looking like the jives I'm used to seeing and what the judges say they want! I did not see any kicks or flicks. Derek kept her pretty much in hold a definite Derek trait and it bode well for her. Like Maks said."Derek knows how to win". 
    I agree it has to be hard on a raised stage and so many people clapping and cheering so close to you the entire dance, but she handled well I think. Enjoyed it!!  

Actually, Louis Van Amstel tweeted that the only pros who choreographed properly for their dances last Monday were Derek and Val, so perhaps there was more content there than we were able to see.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:50 pm

What a difficult song to dance to. Derek did well to put that number together. Nicely done. 
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:40 pm

He will probably give that credit to the music crew -- he worked with them to up  the tempo of the music so that he could choreograph to it.

A nice routine... pleasant but not particularly memorable.  Another score in the middle of the pack, but that's perfectly fine -- they just need enough to stay in the game until the finals.

They were working with Derek's tap partner / choreographer (Kelsey) this week, though, and there was confirmation (from her) that there would be tap from this couple, so I expected it this week with the foxtrot, but I guess that is a work in progress.  This music was hard enough to dance to without adding another element.   Save it for the jazz week, I think.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:20 am

The cab wasn't a Checker, but Derek was. Finally someone who worked with the band to adapt the tune. All the pros should be encouraged to do that more often (I keep saying that since the days of Harold Wheeler), and all music should be played live again.

As for the dance, I think Bruno was right and there was a little mishap. So what. The routine itself maybe means more to someone who knows the TV-series, which I dont. But she looked wonderful, and I want to see more ballroom from her.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:47 pm

I think Derek just takes it upon himself to fix things when they are broken.  Derek creates -- or at least adapts -- music himself for his personal video projects so going to the Director to adapt the music he was given probably just seemed like  a common sense solution to make everyone happy.  The thought may not have occurred to the other pros before this, but now that Derek has paved the way, perhaps more pros will follow his example.  Many musical changes that used to be difficult are a lot easier now with the computers.

Changing the subject, I don't know if you saw the results show last night, but if you did, you might have noticed that Derek and Marilu were practicing simple tap dancing steps during one of their extensive waiting-to-do-something periods.  She looks good doing it! 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Derek did a terrific job with the music and yes I noticed them dancing. 

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:02 pm

From TV GUIDE

Dancing's Derek Hough Explains How He Was a Hypocrite This Week

Hi everyone!
Thanks for your votes!
We survived the foxtrot! I'm not going to lie -- it was a challenging week trying to do the foxtrot to the Taxi theme. The struggle was very real! I had some really cool ideas and some really creative stuff, but when I tried to put it to music, nothing was connecting in my head. One of my pet peeves is when people don't do anything at the beginning of the routine to kill time, and I kind of did that with the red cloth. I was like, "Ugh, what am I doing?!" I was doing everything that I hate! Such a hypocrite! But it was impossible to foxtrot to the flute portion of the song. It's OK. We got through it!

Marilu did a great job with it. It was an improvement on the first week and she was able to show some elegance and poise. And she wasn't four feet off the mark this time! Honestly, I'm just glad that one is in the books. The music at the top of the song -- the flute portion -- was the entire song originally. I had worked with the band to tweak it as much as we could for a foxtrot. We had the drums kick in to give it more energy. Even then, it was not my favorite.

I do love our music this week for our tango. It's awesome and I think it's going to be good. Next week's show is going to be a little crazy. Monday is a one-hour show because of the debate, so we have to try to get all the dances in in a short amount of time. It's not exactly a dance-off, but everyone is paired off, so one person will dance and the other will go on stage and dance right after. Everyone will be scored and whoever scores highest in each pair will be immune from elimination. So, six people will be immune and six people will be up for elimination. It's all about match-ups this week -- someone who might be eliminated otherwise could be immune just because of the pairs.

We are paired opposite Laurie and Val -- the leaders! So we have our work cut out for us! I don't know how they paired everyone off. The producers just put it together. I think part of it is to have the youngest girl to go up against the eldest.

I was a bit surprised Jake was eliminated. But after thinking about it, it's all about connecting to the audience. It's not just about the scores. Your votes are so important and we all are truly grateful you guys take the time out to vote for us.

I hope from here on out that all that stuff with Ryan and the protestors are done with. We've milked it and beaten it to a pulp. Let's bring the focus back on what the show is about: the celebrities and their dancing. I think the results show this week was great for the celebrities. Did it need to be two hours? That was a little redundant. But it was fun to do those dances and the celebrities got a chance to bond. That was the great thing about the results shows. It was like a little clubhouse in the skybox. We don't have that anymore. The first show, obviously, had a weird energy backstage. So this was a really great way for everyone to hang out and see what a fun, communal experience this is.

See you Monday!
Derek
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:17 pm

Just sharing... from the Creative Arts Emmys..

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:27 pm

More video -- this one Marilu being interviewed..

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:49 am

Team Hennergy -- Marilu and Derek - Page 2 144448_2262-900x600
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:20 pm

They were my pick to win the face off.   That Tango was so beautifully choreographed(no surprise there though)...Marilu did a wonderful job, but yes had a little misstep in the middle. My favorite part was in the beginning when they did that rocking back and forth move! They seemed so connected in the beginning and end!  I've watched it several times...I love that song!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:29 pm

In the other thread, you said you expected more from Marilu.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Even Marilu expected better of Marilu.  She had killed the routine during dress rehearsal but had disappointedly wobbled during the actual performance.  It was an Alexa moment for her.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:In the other thread, you said you expected more from Marilu.

Yes,  I did expect more from her ......mainly because Dereks choreography for the Tango is so good. I thought like Derek, when he said that this would be her week.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Mishap or not, I still loved watching it. After all these chicks, finally got to see Derek dance with a real woman again. Great atmosphere.
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Shirley Ballas loved it as well, and after seeing it, his (birth) mother has decided to take up dancing again. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Does anyone remember what he was saying about talking to his mother after the Tango and what she said? 

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top