Team VaLaur, Laurie and Val

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Team VaLaur, Laurie and Val - Page 6 Empty Re: Team VaLaur, Laurie and Val

Post by Psychee22 Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:01 pm

I do believe that Bruno meant it as a compliment, Glitters.  He would probably get a big kick out of being spanked by her. Smile
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:20 pm

I'm sure of it.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:17 pm

WOW!

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:18 pm

GymGirlJane wrote:Well, the sxually experienced woman thing is well out of Laurie's realm.  But the cold-blooded killer, there may be some analogies to her gymnastics training.  Total focus, keep emotion of of it, be fierce.  I think she can pull it off.
And pull it off she did.  Amazing Laurie.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:20 pm

bailadora wrote: I hope that Laurie can sink her teeth into the character. If she's able to do it, Val may gain a new respect and appreciation for Laurie that may translate into the last routines.

Teeth were sunk.
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesallee Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:21 pm

Laurie's best dance. Usually when she dances I think, "She's good" and then forget her. Not this time. And the way Val played up her gymnastic strengths without resorting to outright acrobatics is inspired.
Lesallee
Lesallee
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by GymGirlJane Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:24 pm

Aly Raisman was interviewed on some television show today and they asked her if she was giving Laurie any tips about doing DWTS.  And Aly said "give her tips???  She needs to give me tips."  And Aly just raved about how much better Laurie was at this than Aly had been.  I LOVE Aly as a gymnast and as a person -- far more than I do Laurie.  But Aly was 100% right about this -- Laurie is totally better at dancing.  She is a VERY good world class gymnast.  And totally rocking it on this show.  Not bad for her "congratulations job."
GymGirlJane
GymGirlJane
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Walker7 Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Laurie killed it twice tonight.  She should definitely be in the finals after this one.

Walker7

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:47 pm

Outstanding dancing tonight.  BUT -- she could not stop herself from smiling in that AT!  Luckily she did not get docked for that.  She just can't help herself, lol... 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Psychee22 wrote:Outstanding dancing tonight.  BUT -- she could not stop herself from smiling in that AT!  Luckily she did not get docked for that.  She just can't help herself, lol... 

I noticed that too.

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:51 am

But the way that she smiled on two segments of the dance was not her typical giggle (just compare to her post-dance interview with Erin)-- it was the smile of a woman enjoying her revenge (she reminded me of Mila Kunis). From her interview with Erin it was evident that this was an extremely hard dance for Laurie as we had predicted. And she slayed. The musical arrangement was smart: it eliminated the details of how the women slayed their partners and how the murders were not justifiable, and instead centered on the chorus which make it seem that the women had acted in response to terrible abuse.
Reality tv drama manipulation watch: the package irresponsibly suggested that Val was attempting to corrupt Laurie by demanding that she keep her mother on the dark about the sexual aspect of the dance. We know that this is extremely doubtful.

Laurie was also phenomenal in her dance with Jana. But I do think that some of her fierce facial expressions in this dance were not quite right and Jana's were better (as they should coming from a trained and experienced actress). Val would probably have to work a bit on this type of expression if he plans to use it later. This is a minor caveat within a truly beautiful dance. Loved the way that Laurie emotionally supported Jana when she was freaking out. She knows how to calm and motivate her team-mates. Whatever happens in this show, I hope that Laurie continues developing as a wonderful human being.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:21 am

I thought them showing Val wanting to corrupt Laurie was more jokey.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:I thought them showing Val wanting to corrupt Laurie was more jokey.

I thought her question about should they ask her parents was jokey, but I thought his response was knee jerk hilarious -- the whole thought of having that kind of conversation with her parents was mortifying... he could never do it!  Anyone who interpreted that to mean that he was compromising her morals (or whatever), though, is acting like the "holier than thou" puritan police.

He was given a song that required her to act like a crass vixen;  there was no room for niceties.  He can't wait until the parents approve to teach her what she needs to learn about that act.  It IS only an act.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:56 pm

It was pretty hilarious.

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:08 pm

We have to remember that religious viewers are a significant voting force for the show. In the past they have kept contestants such as Candace Cameron, Bristol Palin and Sadie Robertson in the running until the very end. Laurie is a Christian homeschooled girl that likes to share Bible verses on social media. Val was risking alienating that voting block if it appeared that he turned Laurie into a sex vixen, particularly without her parents permission. He has never really had a contestant that could court this voting block so he may not be aware of how sensitive he had to be around this topic. If I was him I would have posted a picture of him meeting with Laurie and her parents to preempt the bad edit of the show.

Overall he was successful with the music adaptation and choreography to tone down the more risqué elements of the original number and still provide an enjoyable performance.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Wouldn't the religious audience think this show is racy anyway?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:51 pm

If permission was needed, it should have been sought by the producers prior to assigning Laurie that number.  But that was the story this week -- how well can the little girl play the role of Velma Kelly.  

If the Christian coalition has a problem with that and they vote against this little girl as a result of Val just doing his job, then they are not very bright or nice.

Just my opinion, of course.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:Wouldn't the religious audience think this show is racy anyway?

Sometimes I think they like to play with fire so that they can confess and be redeemed.  

I once lived smack dab in the middle of bible belt North Carolina back in the 80's when the Playboy channel and other Mature audience fare was forbidden to be broadcast -- a law that was passed by popular vote.  One night we had a huge storm and the broadcast system was screwed up and the Playboy Channel was no longer blocked.  Within hours, telephone calls flooded the cable company.  To complain?  Hell no.  They all wanted to know if they could now subscribe.  I learned then that what people say and do publicly can be 180 degree different than what they do privately, and they do not see this as a contradiction or as a form of hypocrisy.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by bailadora Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:12 pm

The show has been careful to be sexy without alienating Christian middle America. That's why they always have a Christian or ingenue contestant. It has also refrained from allowing same sex partnerships despite having a flamboyantly out judge and openly gay contestants such as Carson Kressley and Martina Navratilova. The farthest they have been willing to go was to have Keo dance 30 seconds with Nyle (who is openly bi--a fact that was downplayed last season). But America is changing and hopefully the show will feature this change.

bailadora

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:06 pm

I am not evangelistic in any sense of the word, but I have no desire to see men romancing men or women romancing women in dance on this show, because I can't psychologically immerse myself in it, and that's part of my enjoyment of the dance art.  It doesn't irritate me, it doesn't disgust me, it doesn't assault my world view -- it just simply leaves me unmoved -- cold.  To me, its like angry rap music -- I know there is a subset of folks who enjoy listening to it, but I do not, and if I can, I avoid it.
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadManDancing Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:08 pm

I consider myself a tolerant person, but I see what you mean. In the real world, no one should be discriminated for sexual preferences. But when we watch a dance show, it's kind of escape from reality (odd though that at the same time it is filed under reality TV). It's only natural most of us still associate and expect the cavalier taking a bow and reaching out to the blushing maiden for a dance. A same-sex couple could probably not deliver that for us.   
DeadManDancing
DeadManDancing
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Glittersisgld Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 pm

bailadora wrote:The show has been careful to be sexy without alienating Christian middle America. That's why they always have a Christian or ingenue contestant. It has also refrained from allowing same sex partnerships despite having a flamboyantly out judge and openly gay contestants such as Carson Kressley and Martina Navratilova. The farthest they have been willing to go was to have Keo dance 30 seconds with Nyle (who is openly bi--a fact that was downplayed last season). But America is changing and hopefully the show will feature this change.
Weren't the dances they had on Monday same sex like the one you mentioned with Keo and Nyle?

Glittersisgld
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychee22 Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Glittersisgld wrote:
bailadora wrote:The show has been careful to be sexy without alienating Christian middle America. That's why they always have a Christian or ingenue contestant. It has also refrained from allowing same sex partnerships despite having a flamboyantly out judge and openly gay contestants such as Carson Kressley and Martina Navratilova. The farthest they have been willing to go was to have Keo dance 30 seconds with Nyle (who is openly bi--a fact that was downplayed last season). But America is changing and hopefully the show will feature this change.
Weren't the dances they had on Monday same sex like the one you mentioned with Keo and Nyle?

No.  The Nyle & Jodie plus same sex partners dance was specifically choreographed to convey intimacy.  The dances on Monday were not intimate.  The guys did a kind of Cops & Robbers paso, one set of ladies did a sister drama queen act, and the other set of ladies did a buddy Vaudeville thing. That is everyday fare. 
Psychee22
Psychee22
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by therealdfshary Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:23 pm

Psychee22 wrote:
Glittersisgld wrote:Wouldn't the religious audience think this show is racy anyway?

Sometimes I think they like to play with fire so that they can confess and be redeemed.  

I once lived smack dab in the middle of bible belt North Carolina back in the 80's when the Playboy channel and other Mature audience fare was forbidden to be broadcast -- a law that was passed by popular vote.  One night we had a huge storm and the broadcast system was screwed up and the Playboy Channel was no longer blocked.  Within hours, telephone calls flooded the cable company.  To complain?  Hell no.  They all wanted to know if they could now subscribe.  I learned then that what people say and do publicly can be 180 degree different than what they do privately, and they do not see this as a contradiction or as a form of hypocrisy.
The country will be thrown back 50 years with the new administration coming into office.
therealdfshary
therealdfshary
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by kincaid53 Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Looking forward to Laurie and Vals Foxtrot. Val has done such a great job of putting Laurie in amazing costumes.....Laurie can go from Lolita femme fatale to a wide eyed adorable girl .............props to the wardrobe and makeup people for the finishing touches on this!!

Now ......Really excited to see what Maksim and Val do in the trio Samba with Vals little 'nugget' I think it will be fun!! 

kincaid53
Power User

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top